Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications ConnectedDrive reporting all mods (logs) to BMW and voids warranty

06-14-2021, 05:50 PM   #23
kris7xn
Rep
Drives: bmw m340i g20

warranty on g20 m340i

it kills me to have a bone stock car, but most have my research has shown that almost any mod can void a warranty. i just wondered how much trouble i would be in if i even put an intake on and went to service the car. i also want to tune it but i can't find any untraceable tunes aside from mhd tunes which can take your car back to stock but doesn't cover up the previous alterations of the ecu. send help
      06-14-2021, 06:29 PM   #24
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340xi

Intakes are pretty safe, especially on their own. Just swap if back before a dealer visit.
Appreciate 1
      06-15-2021, 12:11 AM   #25
ALotOfKirbys
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2021 M340i xDrice

I mean if you count coding with BimmerCode a mod then lol. Coded stuff on my car and just went for service Saturday. Nada issues
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 04:39 PM   #26
Care01less
@That.M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris7xn View Post
it kills me to have a bone stock car, but most have my research has shown that almost any mod can void a warranty. i just wondered how much trouble i would be in if i even put an intake on and went to service the car. i also want to tune it but i can't find any untraceable tunes aside from mhd tunes which can take your car back to stock but doesn't cover up the previous alterations of the ecu. send help
In regards to any tune or alteration/flash to the vehicles, ECU and or DME BMW will notice this the second it is brought into service. When the technician working on your vehicle plugs their OBD2 scanner in to check logs etc there is a little checkered flag on their computer which will show how many times the ECU has been flashed. If it doesn't match up to service logs they can and will normally flag the vehicle for coding and void the appropriate warranty it applies to. Now some dealerships don't really mind modification but it's hit or miss. As far as I know, there are no untraceable tunes on the market. Don't quote me but I believe the vehicles can flag themselves for acceleration past a set number above stock etc. (Not transmitted, only shows up when the vehicle is plugged into their Scanners during service). Disclaimer I am not a BMW Tech, just an employee at a BMW dealership, and what I have heard around.
Appreciate 1