Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics G20 - Over-the-Air (OTA) Update Expectations?

06-28-2019, 08:41 AM   #1
BMW_Midlo_Man
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

G20 - Over-the-Air (OTA) Update Expectations?

So with the latest generation having the benefit of over-the-air (OTA) updates, what types of things can we expect updates for from BMW? Will they keep it fresh, and introduce things like gauge-cluster modifications? Maybe a reconsideration of the map being the only item you can have central in the display? Added features within iDrive 7.0? Additional Turn signal options (maybe a 5-blink option)? Not sure an OTA engine remap is possible outside of the electrified car-world, but hey - a guy could dream.

It's unclear to me, as an owner, what we should expect, any thoughts from anyone on this? Or just share your hopes for what you would most-love to see out of an OTA Update?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 09:32 AM   #2
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_Midlo_Man View Post
So with the latest generation having the benefit of over-the-air (OTA) updates, what types of things can we expect updates for from BMW? Will they keep it fresh, and introduce things like gauge-cluster modifications? Maybe a reconsideration of the map being the only item you can have central in the display? Added features within iDrive 7.0? Additional Turn signal options (maybe a 5-blink option)? Not sure an OTA engine remap is possible outside of the electrified car-world, but hey - a guy could dream.

It's unclear to me, as an owner, what we should expect, any thoughts from anyone on this? Or just share your hopes for what you would most-love to see out of an OTA Update?
Expect little and be surprised if BMW pushes new features. OTA upgrades (other than map) is new for BMW. I suspect they'll tread lightly and focus more on bug fixes and minor improvements.

I do expect at some point they'll offer some paid window dressing through the Connected Drive store. Maybe dash themes, for instance.

Enjoy what you've got, especially your car. IDrive is hopefully a very small reason why you drive a BMW.
      06-28-2019, 09:35 AM   #3
digitallust
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 BMW 330i M-Sport

Quote:

I read an article yesterday where the new generation of radar cruise in the G20,G05 etc is being tested to recognise traffic signal lights and stop the vehicle etc, they said it would more than likely something that would become available through software updates to current models that that have the new generation radar cruise etc

My guess something like that would be via OTA updates
Retired - 2018 - Range Rover Velar SE D240
Retired - 2015 - Mercedes Benz C250d AMG Line W205
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 09:41 AM   #4
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
This version of iDrive was designed with upgrades in mind so do expect new things to be available later on such as the drive recorder options, new apps, etc.

https://jaypichardo.com/2019/05/31/i...for-june-2019/

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 11:05 AM   #5
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

Are these updates done automatically or do we need to launch them from the car, the app?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 12:46 PM   #6
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

Hopefully they can fix Apple Car play over the air. I'm nervous for delivery next month. From what I've ready its terrible
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 02:30 PM   #7
BMW_Midlo_Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Expect little and be surprised if BMW pushes new features. OTA upgrades (other than map) is new for BMW. I suspect they'll tread lightly and focus more on bug fixes and minor improvements.

I do expect at some point they'll offer some paid window dressing through the Connected Drive store. Maybe dash themes, for instance.

Enjoy what you've got, especially your car. IDrive is hopefully a very small reason why you drive a BMW.
Of course the iDrive is FAR from the only reason I drive it - just curiosity.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 02:33 PM   #8
BMW_Midlo_Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitallust View Post
I read an article yesterday where the new generation of radar cruise in the G20,G05 etc is being tested to recognise traffic signal lights and stop the vehicle etc, they said it would more than likely something that would become available through software updates to current models that that have the new generation radar cruise etc

My guess something like that would be via OTA updates
Awesome!
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 02:37 PM   #9
BMW_Midlo_Man
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMV///M3 View Post
Hopefully they can fix Apple Car play over the air. I'm nervous for delivery next month. From what I've ready its terrible
What kind of issues are you having with CarPlay using BT?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 02:44 PM   #10
BMV///M3
Major
Rep

Quote:
What kind of issues are you having with CarPlay using BT?
There is a big thread in the Electronics forum w/ quite a few new M340 owners talking about problems connecting and/or staying connected. We are taking delivery of ours next month and i'm worried about the issues not being resolved.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 03:21 PM   #11
nola2atx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMV///M3 View Post
There is a big thread in the Electronics forum w/ quite a few new M340 owners talking about problems connecting and/or staying connected. We are taking delivery of ours next month and i'm worried about the issues not being resolved.
I just picked mine up yesterday and haven't had ANY issues with CarPlay or Connected Drive. Not sure what may have changed?

My Exes:
E36, E46, F30
Appreciate 1
BMV///M3418.50
      06-28-2019, 03:51 PM   #12
BMV///M3
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nola2atx View Post
I just picked mine up yesterday and haven't had ANY issues with CarPlay or Connected Drive. Not sure what may have changed?
Good to hear, we still have about a month to go.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 08:16 PM   #13
mzdial
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G20 330i & '19 G01 X3

Garage List
Give it time with the CarPlay. 😝

Connection issues are common. I went a week and thought it was a miracle. Today it broke the streak.

I will say that I installed iOS 13 beta 2 a week ago and it has been BETTER since. Don't know if that is correlated with it (I'm on a iPhone XS.)
Appreciate 0