Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals 2020 BMW M340i Makes World Debut at LA Auto Show

12-01-2018, 04:46 AM   #287
cc3
Major
Rep
Drives: 1M, GT4, M2 M140i G40

First job swap out that grill
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 06:18 AM   #288
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
I basically view the negative trolls like occupy Wall Street... "occupy Bimmerpost"... a bunch of overly vocal haters who will stop at nothing to have their voice heard just because the world didnt coddle them, exactly how they wanted bmw to build the car or some design element they personally don't prefer

Eventually they will disperse as the car gets closer to production and they run out of hot air. the conversation on site will evolve to typical discussion... pricing, build issues, driving impressions, modding, etc. just have to wait them out. They huff and they puff and..... bmw hits it's sales targets

The G20 is obviously an evolution of the f30 themes and clearly fits into the current bmw design language. The photos next to the new z4 are the best examples of that

I get not liking it and not wanting to buy one for yourself but the blanket statements about "losing their way the car being horribly ugly" are absurd exaggerations
Audi trolls maybe : )

Or, just pull BMW from the US altogether. You’ll be fine with your G20s, Q70s and Giulias - already all the sports sedans you’ll need, as well as M-B and the domestics. BMW may still be popular around the rest of the world and doesn’t get power-trolled on other forums; but given the actual sales volumes decline NA generally, would it really hurt if BMW just... stopped altogether. At least it’s sports sedans, just leave it to make trucks and EVs specific to that market.

Hey, I’m not saying it *should* can its passenger cars, just asking the question in light of the unique abuse they seem to be getting on US forums.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 08:38 AM   #289
rost87
Rep
Drives: E60

Appreciate 1
praxis218823.50
      12-01-2018, 09:26 AM   #290
jmftexas
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335 / F30 335i

I have never see so much pissing and moaning from (what I assume are) gown men.
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2018, 09:39 AM   #291
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis218 View Post
It's not fake, it's just an exhaust tip.

Audi's is literally fake, like this. There is no opening and the actual exhaust is at the bottom.
Some Mercedes is like that. And we wonder why there is no manual. The whole experience is fake from PlayStation peddles on a steering wheel to a fake exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 11:06 AM   #292
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbanck View Post
Oh okay, I didn't know it could be that fake...

I thought only "exhaust tips welded to the exhaust" count as real, and it looks like that's not the case for the m340i
If only exhaust tips welded directly to the pipes are "real," then a whole lot of sports cars, including Porsche, Lambo and Bugatti, are guilty of having "fake" exhaust tips. Exhaust tips serve no real functional purpose other than giving the car a more aggressive appearance, no different than painted brake calipers. As long as the exhaust gas exits through the tips, then the tips are "real." I don't know why people get hung up on whether the tips are physically suspended/supported by the body/bumper vs the exhaust pipe. It's like calling electronic shifter fake transmission and steer-by-wire fake steering wheel.
Appreciate 1
alex23642860.00
      12-01-2018, 11:20 AM   #293
autopal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i Xdrive MPPSK

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlin101 View Post
If only exhaust tips welded directly to the pipes are "real," then a whole lot of sports cars, including Porsche, Lambo and Bugatti, are guilty of having "fake" exhaust tips. Exhaust tips serve no real functional purpose other than giving the car a more aggressive appearance, no different than painted brake calipers. As long as the exhaust gas exits through the tips, then the tips are "real." I don't know why people get hung up on whether the tips are physically suspended/supported by the body/bumper vs the exhaust pipe. It's like calling electronic shifter fake transmission and steer-by-wire fake steering wheel.
Well said, I couldn't agree more
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 11:26 AM   #294
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by autopal View Post
Well said, I couldn't agree more
It's not all about function. It's how it sounds, shakes, spits out condensation. On a 911 the tailpipes actually twist up on the left and down on the right when you step on gas. On a cold morning there's some white vapor coming out.... It's useless, I can't explain it. Y'all should get a Prius
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 11:53 AM   #295
jlin101
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 750i

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
It's not all about function. It's how it sounds, shakes, spits out condensation. On a 911 the tailpipes actually twist up on the left and down on the right when you step on gas. On a cold morning there's some white vapor coming out.... It's useless, I can't explain it. Y'all should get a Prius
The exhaust sound is determined mostly by the muffler/flaps/valves instead of the tips. There's vapor and condensation on the tips. As far as watching the tips shimmy and vibrate...well, I didn't know people find that exciting--shake your boot-y, I suppose.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 02:21 PM   #296
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
I basically view the negative trolls like occupy Wall Street... "occupy Bimmerpost"... a bunch of overly vocal haters who will stop at nothing to have their voice heard just because the world didnt coddle them, exactly how they wanted bmw to build the car or some design element they personally don't prefer.
I get not liking it and not wanting to buy one for yourself but the blanket statements about "losing their way the car being horribly ugly" are absurd exaggerations
I think what you fail to see is that by "losing their way", the majority of the comments refer to the lack of originality. Many are also upset for washing away, BMW strong icons as the angel eyes, Hofmeister kink, well defined kidney grills that where aggressive but elegant with a clean design at the same time, and not some overexaggerated bulbous crap with small kitschy "diamonds", and other specific design language elements.

In regards with "beautiful" or "ugly", please refrain from criticizing someone's else comment as beauty is a very personal factor. If a guy says in here that is beautiful I will respect his taste.

Except the grill WHICH IS UGLY !!!, I personally will not call the overall design as ugly, but kitschy, yes.
On one thread, the head design explains about the new "clean" and simple new BMW language, yet, we receive an overdone vehicle with so many crevasses and weird angles that look like shit.
This is not a design to love.
Yeah, might be a good dynamic vehicle, but a vehicle it is also an emotional purchase and this new design doesn't even come close to an emotional statement. And honestly, a car might be good, if it doesn't represent me as an individual, it doesn't reflect my taste, I don't give a shit about its dynamics. There are very good dynamic cars out there today. I need to love the car, to have that emotional statement, I need to be happy with my purchase; not content and think what mods I need to do to obtain a satisfactory / acceptable design.

In the end, as sick you guys are of some comments about a product, please keep in mind that this is a forum and we are entitled to an opinion, and that is basically the whole idea of a new post on a forum anyway. You also forget that almost all of us are driving BMW. So, no, no haters in here. Au contrary: people that want to see this brand above the others.

On the other side I am tired as well of your comments about people "moaning".
You have an opinion, great, I respect that. Please respect mine.
For a 21 century vehicle, and for a company that pretends to be somewhere in the top, this design is underwhelming and ordinary at the most. Period.

Thank you.

Last edited by Teutonic; 12-01-2018 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 02:56 PM   #297
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

I find this car beautiful. I especially like the grille
Appreciate 1
praxis218823.50
      12-01-2018, 03:24 PM   #298
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
You have an opinion, great, I respect that. Please respect mine.
For a 21 century vehicle, and for a company that pretends to be somewhere in the top, this design is underwhelming and ordinary at the most. Period.

Thank you.
This is exactly what I am referring to... my commentary isn’t on opinion it is on tone.. you don’t present your thoughts as opinion worthy of debate... you present it as fact. Period. No other reality can exist but the one you have decreed as The Way Things Must Be. That is where I see the line between trolling and debating

The design isn’t underwhelming [fact]... it just underwhelms your taste..

I think the design is great fit for what I like but I’m not going tell you that you are required to like it. I can allow for that some will and some will not, if everyone like the same thing there would only be one brand and one model of car
Appreciate 2
otay826.00
      12-01-2018, 04:20 PM   #299
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
This is exactly what I am referring to... my commentary isn’t on opinion it is on tone.. you don’t present your thoughts as opinion worthy of debate... you present it as fact. Period. No other reality can exist but the one you have decreed as The Way Things Must Be. That is where I see the line between troling and debating.
Please check the definition of trolling before posting such comment.
My opinion is not intended as an offensive or provocative comment aimed at someone. It is purely my opinion.

And since your are talking about tone, I like your hypocrisy. Check your vocanbulary of your previous post,as well as the nuances you are using.

Yeah, this vehicle underwhelms my taste. Badly. And it seems that this applies to many others.

It works for you? Excellent! If this defines you in terms of taste, buy it. You don’t need my approval.
Have a good day!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 01:32 AM   #300
beto_L.A.
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
So are there any forum members in LA going to the auto show to check it out in person?
Saw it tonight.
It looks nice, and once the mods are added on, the car will look even better. All I heard while near the car were some uneducated comments from tons of car design "experts". It is what it is, this is the route BMW is taking, we take it or leave it. The car feels roomier and it's confortable. I'll be waiting for the next version of the 4GC. The M340i starts @ $56k.
Attached Images

praxis218823.50
Junni88.00
DZ F30303.50
Brake_Late1936.50
      12-02-2018, 03:06 AM   #301
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by beto_L.A. View Post
Saw it tonight.
It looks nice, and once the mods are added on, the car will look even better. All I heard while near the car were some uneducated comments from tons of car design "experts". It is what it is, this is the route BMW is taking, we take it or leave it. The car feels roomier and it's confortable. I'll be waiting for the next version of the 4GC. The M340i starts @ $56k.
Thanks! Really curious as to what the "experts" were saying about the car

The $56k price point is interesting. Is that for the i or xi? Current 340i starts at $49k and 340xi starts at $51k. Cross-shopping, an Audi S4 is $51k. Or even a 540i starts at $59k.

If the M340i starts at $56k, a $69k M4 would be a better choice for most. The price gap is just too small.

Last edited by praxis218; 12-02-2018 at 03:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 08:33 AM   #302
jjl
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 Porsche Macan S

I'm a very satisfied owner of a X3 M40i - the m340i looks great to me and if my experience driving the M40i is any indication, the m340i will haul ass. The M performance cars are a great compromise performance and price wise between the standard cars and full blown M, and they are incredibly versatile - very comfortable in comfort mode and an absolute beast in Sport plus. I'd hold off on any negative comments until you drive one. As for build quality, haven't had a single issue, it's been flawless, as was the F15 M Sport I had before this. The suspension on the M performance cars is also worlds better than the non M cars. If i were in the market for a small sports sedan this car would be my choice.
'18 X3 M40i Carbon Black/Cognac
'15 X5 xDrive 30i M Sport Space Gray/Mocha
Appreciate 1
Junni88.00
      12-02-2018, 09:01 AM   #303
babaikram
M6GCComp, Porsche Cayman S PDK, Peug 208 GT1 BPS
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

The front view of this car looks better than current M3 to me. It is just an opinion.

The new M3 is going to be so beautiful
      12-02-2018, 09:29 AM   #304
silverfox
Alpine White M Performance
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5

Lots of Liberal Experts voicing their opinions. If you disagree with them you must be a racist & immoral person. You drive what you like, I'll drive what I like. I won't try to make you feel bad about your personal choice, it's subjective!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #305
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 FIREORANGE2

Meh. Total Lexus out back...
don't love the front at all.
Walked right past it to look at better things on the horizon and elsewhere.
Attached Images

BMWPhotoVin, 01of01, GTS DCT, EPS, MDM,
CS EDC,Analog Dip ,GTS parts.
Euro Vin e30 M3, FIA cage / 14.7 p / w ratio.
Euro E30 touring G30 MSport i3s LBB X5M
3.2carrera

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClRTsfNzuz_EjUBu59UCykA
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 11:08 AM   #306
bm3rmy
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 2.0D

I don't like it. Not the worst in design but not impressive.
Back is Lexus, side line a bit of Audi like, headlights bump is from Peugeot 3008. Inside design is dull, not exciting at all.
Might be high quality and look better in person but from pictures not exciting at all.
Those grills are cheesy .
The current 3 and for look really good on exterior but interior i feel it was done over a weekend on a cheap budget.
BMW is German so design wise should not expect excitement. Better hope for quality. Design goes to italy
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 11:37 AM   #307
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake_Late View Post
Meh. Total Lexus out back...don't love the front at all. Walked right past it to look at better things on the horizon.
And what were those “better” things? Are you saying you paid money to go to the LA Auto Show and then didn’t even bother to look at the new 3er? How utterly ridiculous.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

12-02-2018, 11:45 AM   #308
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks! Really curious as to what the "experts" were saying about the car

The $56k price point is interesting. Is that for the i or xi? Current 340i starts at $49k and 340xi starts at $51k. Cross-shopping, an Audi S4 is $51k. Or even a 540i starts at $59k.

If the M340i starts at $56k, a $69k M4 would be a better choice for most. The price gap is just too small.
I have a hard time believing BMWNA would raise the starting price by $7000, even on an “M Sport” model. They held the line on pricing for the G20 330i. If I remember correctly (I’m pretty sure I do) the starting price for the G20 330i is the same as for the 2018 F30 330i. I’m going to guess that $56k price included some of the new options that are on that display car. Maybe I’m wrong. I hope not.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!