Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals 2020 BMW M340i Makes World Debut at LA Auto Show

12-02-2018, 12:18 PM   #309
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 FIREORANGE2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake_Late View Post
Meh. Total Lexus out back...don't love the front at all. Walked right past it to look at better things on the horizon.
And what were those "better" things? Are you saying you paid money to go to the LA Auto Show and then didn't even bother to look at the new 3er? How utterly ridiculous.
Sorry OP -
I didn't pay to walk the show. As I said, I did walk right past it ... so yes I saw it.
I wouldn't buy one from what I saw.
I'm waiting for new m4 if anything
anyways.
Attached Images

BMWPhotoVin, 01of01, GTS DCT, EPS, MDM,
CS EDC,Analog Dip ,GTS parts.
Euro Vin e30 M3, FIA cage / 14.7 p / w ratio.
Euro E30 touring G30 MSport i3s LBB X5M
3.2carrera

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UClRTsfNzuz_EjUBu59UCykA
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 01:04 PM   #310
cDu8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Hmmm. Noticed it has Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. Does that mean no runflats for the M340?
Appreciate 1
Brake_Late1936.50
      12-02-2018, 02:59 PM   #311
RichReg
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435Xi GC & 2000 323Ci.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
I have a hard time believing BMWNA would raise the starting price by $7000, even on an “M Sport” model. They held the line on pricing for the G20 330i. If I remember correctly (I’m pretty sure I do) the starting price for the G20 330i is the same as for the 2018 F30 330i. I’m going to guess that $56k price included some of the new options that are on that display car.
Not that hard to believe. The 2018 340 base is $49K ;; M-Sport adds $4750.
That's already more than half the difference. Also, items like leather which were optional before, might now be standard ($1450).

One thing this $56k figure could have priced in is Destination...
...another grand. Not far-fetched at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 03:07 PM   #312
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDu8 View Post
Hmmm. Noticed it has Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires. Does that mean no runflats for the M340?
M cars = no runflats
I was told by BMW
but you never know ?
3.2carrera

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 04:24 PM   #313
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Quote:
Originally Posted by cDu8 View Post
ZMP usually comes with non-RFT
Appreciate 1
Brake_Late1936.50
      12-02-2018, 04:38 PM   #314
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus View Post
I think what you fail to see is that by "losing their way", the majority of the comments refer to the lack of originality. Many are also upset for washing away, BMW strong icons as the angel eyes, Hofmeister kink, well defined kidney grills that where aggressive but elegant with a clean design at the same time, and not some overexaggerated bulbous crap with small kitschy "diamonds", and other specific design language elements.

In regards with "beautiful" or "ugly", please refrain from criticizing someone's else comment as beauty is a very personal factor. If a guy says in here that is beautiful I will respect his taste.

Except the grill WHICH IS UGLY !!!, I personally will not call the overall design as ugly, but kitschy, yes.
On one thread, the head design explains about the new "clean" and simple new BMW language, yet, we receive an overdone vehicle with so many crevasses and weird angles that look like shit.
This is not a design to love.
Yeah, might be a good dynamic vehicle, but a vehicle it is also an emotional purchase and this new design doesn't even come close to an emotional statement. And honestly, a car might be good, if it doesn't represent me as an individual, it doesn't reflect my taste, I don't give a shit about its dynamics.
Step this way, I have a Lexus to sell you.

You really, really are on the wrong forum, and this is the wrong brand for you.
Quote:
You have an opinion, great, I respect that. Please respect mine.
For a 21 century vehicle, and for a company that pretends to be somewhere in the top, this design is underwhelming and ordinary at the most. Period.
You have an opinion, yes, but you put it aggressively and perjoratively and you are simply going to get called on it until the day you finally switch off the modem. It is the yin to your yang. "Company that pretends to be somewhere in the top"? I can practically see the steam coming out of your ears.

I do look forward to half the forum finally pissing off when their current leases expire and they all go to a competitor. At least if they decide It's a Good Day to Troll Hard, as no BMW is listed in their portfolio signature of mass-market vehicles and they come back for a little sad stirring, they can swiftly be deleted from view!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 05:21 PM   #315
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Meh. Total Lexus out back...
don't love the front at all.
Walked right past it to look at better things on the horizon and elsewhere.
Did the M2C with the carbon fiber hood also have the carbon fiber roof?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 05:31 PM   #316
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
And honestly, a car might be good, if it doesn't represent me as an individual, it doesn't reflect my taste, I don't give a shit about its dynamics.
You are definitely entitled to your opinion. Of course, some express their opinions in more constructive manners than others. But, with the above comment, I concur that you have definitely wandered into the wrong brand. BMW's core DNA is about dynamics. Then, they wrap some acceptable sheetmetal around it. Maybe a line bends one way or the other....so what? It your priorities go the other way, there are far more desireable brands for you.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 2
hans007604.50
      12-02-2018, 05:40 PM   #317
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nantucket View Post
Quote:
Meh. Total Lexus out back...
don't love the front at all.
Walked right past it to look at better things on the horizon and elsewhere.
Did the M2C with the carbon fiber hood also have the carbon fiber roof?
No.
Kinda weird hood / mask job was a bit angular up front I felt. You could feel the rise in surface also if touched.
Attached Images

3.2carrera

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 05:43 PM   #318
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Hmm good question. I don't think it did.
Definitely doesn’t have it.Thanks for the pics.
Appreciate 1
Brake_Late1936.50
      12-02-2018, 05:43 PM   #319
bimmerfile
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X2 F39

My current plan is to replace my current ragtop with the 2021 (G23) M440xi ragtop. I sure hope they don't carry the G20 M340i grill over to the 4-series.
      12-02-2018, 07:54 PM   #320
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

checked out the m340i. not impressed at all. interior is marginally better maybe but not a huge difference. the leather still feels cheap. might as well get sensatec level cheap. the grill I felt was terrible in person too.... a lot of people there were making comments about how horrible it was. I left thinking if I'm practical and just need another car in a year or two the 330i will be fine. they really better have made this drive a lot better because if it's just based on the rest of it is basically an f30 in materials and looks (or well the g20 340i looks worse than an f30 )

and if I have money I'm not getting an m3.... I'm buying the 992 911. talk about gorgeous. the wide body on every model is beautiful.
Appreciate 1
Brake_Late1936.50
      12-02-2018, 09:08 PM   #321
M3 Number 86
Major General
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLU135i View Post
So this M-performance grill is 1000% better in my opinion, and I don't see the stupid laser warning sticker anywhere. I truly hope that isn't a thing.
New kidney grills. $500 now. Lol
      12-02-2018, 11:49 PM   #322
ray340i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i msport

Wonder if the kept it 5x120 ? Or went 5x112
      12-03-2018, 01:23 AM   #323
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
Step this way, I have a Lexus to sell you.

You really, really are on the wrong forum, and this is the wrong brand for you.

You have an opinion, yes, but you put it aggressively and perjoratively and you are simply going to get called on it until the day you finally switch off the modem. It is the yin to your yang. "Company that pretends to be somewhere in the top"? I can practically see the steam coming out of your ears.

I do look forward to half the forum finally pissing off when their current leases expire and they all go to a competitor. At least if they decide It's a Good Day to Troll Hard, as no BMW is listed in their portfolio signature of mass-market vehicles and they come back for a little sad stirring, they can swiftly be deleted from view!
Do you love cropping the text as you like?
I won't have a further discussion since you are manipulating the text.
Here is my quote:
Quote:
...I don't give a shit about its dynamics. There are very good dynamic cars out there today.
I have two other different brands in the stall, both very dynamic and competitive. No need to accept something that might drive nice but looks mediocre. I like both packages. Call me as you want.

It kind of makes me sad thinking that some people hope that "it will grow on me" or "hey looks so and so, but drives great"....
That's not excitement, that's acceptance.

Oh, and keep your Toyota. I rather have this 3 Series.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 01:39 AM   #324
Teutonic
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
You are definitely entitled to your opinion. Of course, some express their opinions in more constructive manners than others. But, with the above comment, I concur that you have definitely wandered into the wrong brand. BMW's core DNA is about dynamics. Then, they wrap some acceptable sheetmetal around it. Maybe a line bends one way or the other....so what? It your priorities go the other way, there are far more desireable brands for you.
Not really. I am a fan and owned several BMW's; just sold one of them, waiting for a new model. The other one that is left in my garage is sitting with a brand new engine installed after the original engine blew at 80.015 km. Yap. And out of warranty.

And I feel sorry to say it but BMW lost its dynamic benchmark crown some few years back. Plenty of articles in specialized magazines. Please read. You will find out that there are many good cars out there today.
That dynamic sheet of metal wrapped is a long gone story.
Thank you for the ACCEPTABLE term.

I have been waiting for this new one and now I am disappointed by the design. I am a long time BMW fan, but my late experience with the newer models, the cheapness in materials and technical approach, the questionable reliability and poor design, brings a big question mark... Maybe the new M3 if they fix the bumper and that ugly grill. Tail lights wishes will be too much but, still hoping...
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 07:13 AM   #325
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Is there an option for a non digital dash available? Or is there another view available in this virtual dash? Like an analog display... I like everything but I hate that dash layout so much.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 07:45 AM   #326
blinkme323
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Wow, this a huge step backwards from a design / aesthetic perspective. Really disappointing...
      12-03-2018, 08:06 AM   #327
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Not really. I am a fan and owned several BMW's; just sold one of them, waiting for a new model. The other one that is left in my garage is sitting with a brand new engine installed after the original engine blew at 80.015 km. Yap. And out of warranty.

And I feel sorry to say it but BMW lost its dynamic benchmark crown some few years back. Plenty of articles in specialized magazines. Please read. You will find out that there are many good cars out there today.
That dynamic sheet of metal wrapped is a long gone story.
Thank you for the ACCEPTABLE term.

I have been waiting for this new one and now I am disappointed by the design. I am a long time BMW fan, but my late experience with the newer models, the cheapness in materials and technical approach, the questionable reliability and poor design, brings a big question mark... Maybe the new M3 if they fix the bumper and that ugly grill. Tail lights wishes will be too much but, still hoping...
Perhaps we can also agree that with a particular attribute such as dynamics, even if the brand's core DNA, it is still possible to have a "slump" or make a mis-step. I don't think many would argue that didn't happen with the F30 and F10, although it wasn't unintentional. BMWAG deliberately/stragically attempted to broaden their appeal to more MB owners in their seeming never-ending race for higher volume. MB actually had the same problem, as the prior generation W204 had been criticized by its owners for being too "sporty". . Their W205 is an appropriately cushy bank vault on wheels again.

However, with the advent of the F22, BMW began to return to its roots (albeit nothing will ever completely undo the effect of EPS). That is a wonderful car and feels as it should, with superior quality (problem occurrences) recognized by a range including JDPower to Consumer Reports (not known for evaluating dynamics). My understanding is that some of the F22 engineering leaders were then assigned to G20, and the initial road tests are quite promising. MB found its way back to their brand essence, and the F22 and G20 (and good reports on G30) suggest BMW is again out of the woods on what a car should feel like. When they do it right, my opinion is nothing else feels the same and I cut a lot of slack on design. With reasonable expectations for "moderinization", every 3 Series since my 1977 320i occupied about the same relative position in the design arena compared to its then-contemporary competitors...nothing earth-shaking, not dramatic, not "gorgeous", but fine for the job and communicates the relative Teutonic seriousness of the car's purpose. I would rather drive a proper BMW and put up a gorgeous poster of something else in my garage.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 3
Brake_Late1936.50
hans007604.50
      12-03-2018, 10:47 AM   #328
Brake_Late
Brigadier General
Norway
Rep

Yes. Teutonic
3.2carrera

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 01:36 PM   #329
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

There is still somersetting strong about the solid and separated kidneys.. even the previous generation debut as below still looks strong and serious to me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4awd View Post
Not sure about all the complaints. Looks light years ahead of the F30 when it debuted.

Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2018, 01:42 PM   #330
beto_L.A.
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis218 View Post
Thanks! Really curious as to what the "experts" were saying about the car

The $56k price point is interesting. Is that for the i or xi? Current 340i starts at $49k and 340xi starts at $51k. Cross-shopping, an Audi S4 is $51k. Or even a 540i starts at $59k.

If the M340i starts at $56k, a $69k M4 would be a better choice for most. The price gap is just too small.
similar lines like the one we read here:
"looks lexus", "who ever designed the car did the lines wrong", "I could have designed a better car"... Blah Blah Blah.
this is an X Drive model. The new technology will be fun.