Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G2x 4 Series Grill

View Poll Results: What do you think of the G22/G23/G26 grill?
I like it, but I am not getting one 36 15.00%
I like it, and I am getting one 40 16.67%
I don't like it, and I am not getting one 155 64.58%
I don't like it, but I am getting one anyway 9 3.75%
Voters: 240. You may not vote on this poll

10-22-2020, 11:36 AM   #45
damills
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Seen it in person, still hate it...
Haven't seen it but my salesman said their unit(s) will arrive this Friday 10/23/2020. I plan to give it a chance and see it up close the following week.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 04:29 PM   #46
Jmpascual
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition, G05 X5 40i

Just saw an M440i on the road today. Gotta say, pictures don't do this car justice, when you see it in motion it looks really good, grille and all. Makes me excited to see the new M3/M4
Appreciate 3
A/J113.50
      10-23-2020, 06:07 PM   #47
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

I think it has to have the Shadow-line & Msport Package otherwise it looks terrible IMO. The Black or Dravit M440 in this configuration looks really good IMO. Everything else looks cheap and not aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2020, 06:00 PM   #48
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Saw some at BMW of Warwick RI (USA). Looks better in person than in photos. Sharing a couple. I like the blue (Tanzanite) and its wheels.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 12:49 PM   #49
maughan67
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i (G22), X3 35d (F25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteGuy View Post
3erMan, Yours is a logical opinion and I appreciate it. I just happen to like the new lines of the 4 series models. I find them bold and refreshing, but I can still see the heritage in the cars. I also liked the M340iX and almost bought a Mineral Gray 2020 model off the lot last month, but it lacked a few options I wanted... so In for a penny in for a pound, ordered the M440iX.
Very similar story for me.

I have been looking at the M340i for quite a while, trying to find the perfect unregistered new stock car but deciding to spec my own factory order instead.

But I had liked the M440i immediately I saw the promotional photos and videos months ago. Yes, even with that grille, which I thought looked great (especially when there is a UK-style number plate across the middle which I think ironically improves the proportions). So I had thought about waiting for its release to see it in real life.

I test drove one yesterday. It is brilliant and so much fun to drive. Plus it ticks all of my other boxes, including its ability to carry my golf clubs and trolley etc (unlike the Porsche 991.2 which I had considered for a while). But, just as significantly, I thought the grille, and the whole car, just looked great. And, most importantly and to repeat, it was fantastic to drive.

I would be interested to know how many people who previously did not like the grille and have now actually seen the car “in the metal” (especially in M440i trim) still do not like the look, or whether they have changed their view.

My one gripe is that the paint options are disappointingly few and far between. I would really like to have had the option of mineral grey, which is what I would have chosen for an M340i if I had gone ahead with that.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 12:53 PM   #50
maughan67
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i (G22), X3 35d (F25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmpascual View Post
Just saw an M440i on the road today. Gotta say, pictures don't do this car justice, when you see it in motion it looks really good, grille and all. Makes me excited to see the new M3/M4
Saw and drove an M440i yesterday. I agree - it really looks amazing in real life and so much better than in photos.

Did your sighting convert you from dislike to like? Or were you a fan already?

(I admit that I am slightly concerned that so many people may think my putative new car is ugly! Probably won’t stop me going ahead anyway, cos I love it, but it’s nice to have admiration rather than pity!)

Matt
Appreciate 1
      10-25-2020, 01:27 PM   #51
Jmpascual
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by maughan67 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmpascual View Post
Saw and drove an M440i yesterday. I agree - it really looks amazing in real life and so much better than in photos.

(I admit that I am slightly concerned that so many people may think my putative new car is ugly! Probably won’t stop me going ahead anyway, cos I love it, but it’s nice to have admiration rather than pity!)

Matt
Didn't hate the design when it first came out, but I found the overall shapes/proportions of the car to look a little awkward. Now I think it looks pretty good after seeing it irl. Definitely gets your attention in the rear view mirror
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 12:45 PM   #52
damills
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

did seeing in person change anyones mind, also a potential aftermarket front bumper

Has anyone who voted or commented on this thread changed their mind after seeing it up close.

Your opinion, like, dislike, also if you ordered one.

I found the picture below of a potential aftermarket front bumper, anyone like or dislike the top picture, I personally like to the top picture. Although this is an m3/m4, same could be a potential for the m440i.

Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 12:58 PM   #53
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by damills View Post
I found the picture below of a potential aftermarket front bumper, anyone like or dislike the top picture, I personally like to the top picture. Although this is an m3/m4, same could be a potential for the m440i.
Isn't the top picture simply perpetuating the same old designs, which many complain about?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 02:28 PM   #54
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: Arctic Race Blue M440iX

Quote:
Has anyone who voted or commented on this thread changed their mind after seeing it up close.

If people want an F car or even even an 8, they should buy one. Like the styling or not, the new G cars make the older units look dated.

Its time to stop beating this dead horse and either buy or move on.
Appreciate 3
Fhey454.50
JDUNITNOW3453.00
      10-31-2020, 02:36 PM   #55
rcass1300
Rep
Drives: 2018 blue X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3erMan View Post
I'm just one opinion, and this isn't to detract from opinions of others, but I'm one who actually decided against buying a 440i and instead ordered an M340i. My previous BMW was an e92 coupe, and I would have preferred sticking with a 2 door. I occasionally, but not frequently, have a 3rd or 4th passenger. I generally prefer a coupe body style.

For me, it's not only the grille. It's the fact that the lines and dimensions have evolved into something too similar to other cars. The headlight shapes (which were my favorite styling feature of the e92) seem a little too thin and slanted. I prefer smaller cars, and I would have chosen an M240i coupe instead, although there are things about the M340i that I prefer over the 2 series.

Again, just one person's opinion. I have no doubt the new 4 series is a great car, and I'm proud and grateful that BMW continues to offer several 2 door coupe models when other manufacturers are ditching them. The world is better for it.

It's easy to poke fun at the grille design, but that doesn't mean it was a styling mistake necessarily. I'm eager to see what BMW continues to do with its styling innovation in the future. I won't like every design they come out with, but I don't like all of their designs throughout history, either. Not everything can be an e9 coupe.
I didn't like it at first but after seeing it in person and taking it for a test drive, I ordered one yesterday. I had a 2017 M240i and can say the M440i handled just as great and was faster than the M240i. Even though it is bigger It didn't feel bigger when I drove it. So now the wait for it to be built.
Appreciate 2
3erMan153.00
      10-31-2020, 02:39 PM   #56
rcass1300
Rep
Drives: 2018 blue X3 M40i

Quote:

Matt
Test drove and ordered one yesterday!
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 03:28 PM   #57
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcass1300 View Post
Test drove and ordered one yesterday!
Congrats! What color combo did you go with?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 12:08 PM   #58
Smiller155
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 430i

Garage List
2021 BMW 430i  [0.00]
Quote:

Matt
After ordering my car and reading all of hyperbolic comments on BFest, I naturally assumed that 50% of the people who saw my car would hate it. Or would at least have some strong opinions on the grill. But since I received it last week, everyone I’ve showed it to in person love the design and no one thinks the grill is too big, weird, or that it ruins the car. So don’t assume that the comments here by BMW purists are representative.

Look, no car design is perfect—even BMW’s. If you scrutinize every design element, you can find flaws in every one of the BMW models, even the 3 series. Having lived with the new 4 series for a week now in my garage, I think the front end is the most attractive angles of the design while the rear end appears somewhat bloated from some angles. I love it, and if you liked the previous design, you’ll like this too. It’s damn fun to drive too.
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3453.00
      11-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #59
damills
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Pictures?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiller155 View Post
After ordering my car and reading all of hyperbolic comments on BFest, I naturally assumed that 50% of the people who saw my car would hate it. Or would at least have some strong opinions on the grill. But since I received it last week, everyone I’ve showed it to in person love the design and no one thinks the grill is too big, weird, or that it ruins the car. So don’t assume that the comments here by BMW purists are representative.

Look, no car design is perfect—even BMW’s. If you scrutinize every design element, you can find flaws in every one of the BMW models, even the 3 series. Having lived with the new 4 series for a week now in my garage, I think the front end is the most attractive angles of the design while the rear end appears somewhat bloated from some angles. I love it, and if you liked the previous design, you’ll like this too. It’s damn fun to drive too.

Got any pictures you can post post?

Last edited by damills; 11-01-2020 at 02:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2020, 08:56 PM   #60
Smiller155
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW 430i  [0.00]
Quote:
Got any pictures you can post post?
See my post in the pictures section here:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1769374
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2020, 11:27 PM   #61
M3nford
Leased
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiller155 View Post

First, Glad you like your new car.

But I can say of the 10+ none car people that I've showed this car to, only 1 was indifferent about it.
The others was either visually disgusted or had that WTF face when they saw it. Most didn't think it was a BMW or even German.

This is not just a small flaw like you can pick out of a lot of wins, this is the entire front end and unfortunately not many can stomach it.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 01:59 AM   #62
Smiller155
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2021 BMW 430i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3nford View Post
First, Glad you like your new car.

But I can say of the 10+ none car people that I've showed this car to, only 1 was indifferent about it.
The others was either visually disgusted or had that WTF face when they saw it. Most didn't think it was a BMW or even German.

This is not just a small flaw like you can pick out of a lot of wins, this is the entire front end and unfortunately not many can stomach it.
So you sent pictures of a car you dislike, don't own and have no intention of buying to 10+ "non-car" people? Okayyyyy...LOL. Have these "non-car people" ever seen the gigantic front grill on an Audi lately? Oh wait, they're "non-car people" so they don't know what an Audi, or BMW for that matter looks like. Sorry, but this is almost as absurd as the post where someone proclaimed they were going to de-badge their previous 4 series so it wouldn't be associated with the 2021 model--probably one of the dumbest things I've read on BPost.

To you, the front grill and design might seem like a tragedy of epic proportions, but I like it and that's all that's all that is important. And to others trying to decide, I am happy to share my impressions and photos of the G22 as I actually own and drive one.
Appreciate 2
A/J113.50
      11-02-2020, 01:51 PM   #63
VetteGuy
Captain
Rep

And I can only imaging the distorted pics you sent to these “non-car people.” Totally bizarre survey. LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 04:52 PM   #64
stevej2001
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

I saw one today while at the dealer for an oil change. I actually didn't think it looked so bad "in the flesh."

Quote:
Has anyone who voted or commented on this thread changed their mind after seeing it up close. I'm not in the market for a new car, but if I was the grille wouldn't stop me.

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 06:25 PM   #65
Egrunt
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 (F90), Tacoma, GTI

My wife of 34 years wanted to stop by the BMW dealership to look at some SUV's. So being a great husband and believing in the saying, "happy wife happy life" we stopped by dealership this past Sunday. They had several M440i's on the lot. I personally do not like the new drill but it does blend better with the darker color cars. They had a Artic Racing Blue in stock and I think it looked the best with the new grill.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 11:36 AM   #66
damills
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

next gen 7-series rendered

See next gen 7-series rendering, has nothing to do with the 4-series but its design is a big departure like the 4-series, look at bmwblog link below. Looks like all bmw designs will have their own character

https://www.bmwblog.com/2020/10/27/b...es-g70-render/

Appreciate 0