Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals G22 M440i tested by Joe Achilles - 0-60, Skid Pad, Performance Figures

10-31-2020, 07:13 AM   #67
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 Avant

Looks like Joe was well impressed. Exterior design would be a showstopper for me but otherwise, it sounds as if BMW has nailed this one, performance and handling wise.
      10-31-2020, 08:20 AM   #68
6ixSpd
Save the manuals!
Rep
Drives: '16 M3, '23 718 Spyder

Funny the BMW biased YT guys praise these things, yet legitimate auto magazines are definitely not impressed by the driving experience.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...irst-test/amp/

Past: E92 M3, F87 M2, E39 M5, etc
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2020, 08:50 AM   #69
stefan
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkNuts View Post
Stein, this car has been tested *a full second* quicker.

The point is that it's been very easily dismissed (almost universally on this site) due to the aesthetics, but it's a stellar performer.
I don't know why you struggle to accept that a potential buyer doesn't want to drive a car that looks like that. Performance or not. As for it's performance, it's not blowing anyone's mind these days. It's basically expected from what we know of the powertrain and how the competitors have been stacking up.
Appreciate 6
stein_325i25051.00
Poochie9099.00
///M TOWN13117.00
      10-31-2020, 09:57 AM   #70
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Germanauto View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Comical thread, we all have our opinions, M340i is plenty fun for me and unlike some of these newbs I started driving BMW's since the E36 era so not exactly a newcomer. There are some who find the X3M boring, hell we've had guys dump theirs for the M340i, imagine that. These threads are pointless and just getting ridiculous. I don't know in what world some people live in but there are countless shitty new cars out there and people buy them daily.

M340i is not one of them especially coming from folks who daily gigantic SUV's. I can run circles around you all day in my M340i. Fucking preposterous, sigh.

Maybe if you daily an Exige you've got the gall to talk, otherwise please stop.
People can have differing opinions. You're free to yours as are others.

Most people and reviews agree that the M340 has an excellent powertrain and chassis, is great at the limit, and overall a technically excellent car. However they also note that at sane speeds at or near speed limits it's not a very engaging car. These are people who also have been driving BMWs for many decades.

Take it as you will. We can all agree to disagree.
Most cars in this class aren't very engaging when driving sedately. It's clearly not a Miata. The 340i does give one the option, however, to experience a little fun when the opportunity safely presents.
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9665.50
clee1982796.00
      10-31-2020, 10:29 AM   #71
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
E90 and e92 are one of the best designs in the world. The rwd, size, 50/50, steering, practicality, simplicity and I6 turbo or NA is unmatched. I wish P would build a car like E90. They would sell like hot cakes.

Just sit and drive. I think I will always have one.
The e90 was good but far from perfect. The gear spacing wasn't the best for the 335d, and peeling of interior door handles / steering wheel was all too common, exterior windshield and rear window trim pieces would deteriorate quite rapidly in hot climates as well. The 330i (N52?) had that horrible valve tap.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 10:30 AM   #72
jcarys
Rep
Drives: 2009 32ixi coupe

Seeing is believing...

I don't know where all of this is "it doesn't look so bad it person" blather comes from. It doesn't look like the photos or videos in real life. Well I don't know how other people's eyes work, but the first 440 I saw on the street looks exactly like it's pictures, and obviously is ugly as sin.

And please stop repeating the PR statement - the new grill looks nothing like the 50s models. Those were functional for airflow also. It's solely because Chinese buyers expect big and ugly.

It's unfortunate, I'm a lifelong BMW driver and need to upgrade my 328 coupe as it's now 10 years old. I will not be buying the 4 though. For me, all that's left is the 2 series or another used model.

Once the 2 gets is re-design next year, I don't think the brand will have anything I'm interested in. Onward and upward, I guess.
Appreciate 4
Germanauto9665.50
city1991228.00
      10-31-2020, 10:55 AM   #73
CachacoF80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: San Marino Blue F80 - ZCP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5MSD View Post
I've just come back from my local dealer today,it looks miles better in the flesh
This is a great looking car
Please get your eyes checked, symptoms seem to be moderate to severe.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 11:01 AM   #74
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatBimmerBloke View Post
Surprisingly the 0-60 for 2007 335i is almost same as that of 2016 335i. 9 years and no progress? Similar horsepower too. My stage 2 2016 435ix can barely do 4.2s on a good day 😝 3.8s is fast!
stage 2 2018 330is are doing similar times these days, not bad for a 2.0L engine but I think it speaks to the continuous product improvement across the entire lineup by BMW

Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      10-31-2020, 11:09 AM   #75
thatBimmerBloke
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaley View Post

stage 2 2018 330is are doing similar times these days, not bad for a 2.0L engine but I think it speaks to the continuous product improvement across the entire lineup by BMW

Nice! Just saw that guy was running E50 custom tune for that run, maybe upgraded fuel pump too. My 4.2s was on OTS E30 map without launch control. I wonder how much difference launch control makes, I've never tried it. On 93 octane map I usually get around 4.4-4.5s.

What I was saying is for 335 they did not make a huge stride in 0-60 or horsepower from 2007 to 2016. Engine did get more refined and reliable and was able to carry heavier weight without sacrifice in performance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
Avaley728.00
      10-31-2020, 12:37 PM   #76
Game
------
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 (sold)

I don't like looking at it, but I do love driving it. Very fun car.
      10-31-2020, 12:37 PM   #77
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Most cars in this class aren't very engaging when driving sedately. It's clearly not a Miata. The 340i does give one the option, however, to experience a little fun when the opportunity safely presents.
I agree. I've driven them all extensively and the only one that truly speaks to me is the Alfa Giulia. However that car suffers from mediocre build quality, an interior that can't even keep up with an E90 3-series, laughable tech, and a budget-feeling dealership experience. Most including myself would put up with the slightly more numb character of the 3-series for all its other perks. The A/S4 is just a total bore and the C43's handling and poor ride don't measure up. BMW has produced a really solid car here.

But personally I wouldn't purchase anything in this segment anymore. Everybody is trying to sell you the idea of "sporty" while really just producing fast but mostly comfort-oriented commuter cars. The Porsche Macan line is actually the 4 door driver's car of choice.

Last edited by Germanauto; 10-31-2020 at 12:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      10-31-2020, 12:38 PM   #78
floridaorange
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 bmw 320i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Agree, especially in LCI, the E90 and especially the E92 are beauties in my eyes (I know some may feel different).

You're not wrong. Along with the F series, these are all cars I could not take my eyes off of when I saw them on the road, and they still all turn my head. This new body is kind of offensive in comparison, moreso than "aggressive." But the Asian markets should gobble it up. It feels like something meant for their market.

As mentioned above the alpha guilia is a head turner, always, similar to the e90, e92, f30, f32, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Sounds pizzagatey.
Appreciate 3
stein_325i25051.00
Germanauto9665.50
      10-31-2020, 12:38 PM   #79
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Funny the BMW biased YT guys praise these things, yet legitimate auto magazines are definitely not impressed by the driving experience.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...irst-test/amp/
Different countries, different priorities. This was the same with the F30/F32 too.

North American publications were lukewarm on the F3X while European publications were more positive. Doesn't help when North American publications keep comparing each generation and harping back to the E30, E46, E90. European reviews generally take the car for what it is today.

Should be noted that all the M SAV's that are reviewed by North American publications usually get loved for the most part while the Europeans pretty much lament them. So back to your original comment, I know what you're trying to hint at and I don't think it's that - you just have people using different criteria for reviewing a car.
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      10-31-2020, 12:41 PM   #80
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
Different countries, different priorities. This was the same with the F30/F32 too.

North American publications were lukewarm on the F3X while European publications were more positive. Doesn't help when North American publications keep comparing each generation and harping back to the E30, E46, E90. European reviews generally take the car for what it is today.

Should be noted that all the M SAV's that are reviewed by North American publications usually get loved for the most part while the Europeans pretty much lament them. So back to your original comment, I know what you're trying to hint at and I don't think it's that - you just have people using different criteria for reviewing a car.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CachacoF80 View Post
Please get your eyes checked, symptoms seem to be moderate to severe.

I think when we look back, this grille talk will look kind of silly. After a few years after release, haven't all generations been reviewed very positively as well as improved on significantly?

I feel that this repeat echo chamber and why discussions have gone down the piss poor path of comparison like every thread of late is recency bias and in particular, negative, unhappy, myopic owners of prior gen cars with an ownership bias to believe what they own is best.

once you get over the reality that applies to anything you buy of "best today is 2nd best tomorrow", constructive criticism and a informative discussion can be had

I'm fairly certain im one of the younger BMW enthusiasts in their 20s but i'm shocked by the immaturity and the "you should have your eyes checked" comments when someone says they like the design.

Being a toxic and myopic BMW enthusiast is ultimately going to push new buyers away, and may lead to the downfall of the brand that we all love so much and have enough passion for to discuss and share our opinions.

Last edited by Avaley; 10-31-2020 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2020, 01:00 PM   #81
Jockey
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 992 C4S

Quote:
Being a toxic and myopic BMW enthusiast is ultimately going to push new buyers away, and may lead to the downfall of the brand that we all love so much and have enough passion for to discuss and share our opinions.
BMW is doing that all on their own, they don't need any help.

Just because something is new doesn't necessarily make it better.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 01:10 PM   #82
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockey View Post

With all due respect, I'm going to be shocked if the G80/G22 is objectively worse in performance than the F80/F32. Would this not be a first for BMW to make a worse objectively worse than a prior generation and make absolutely no damn business sense?

I posted the Nring guesstimate thread and color me shocked, 2 f80 owners actually think it will be slower around the nring despite better power to weight.

I call this delusional and that is where I stop, and where we are can't have a thoughtful discussion given myopic preconceived notions
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 01:16 PM   #83
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

I also think people fail to realize the auto industry is an oligopoly where there is insanely intense competition and have ample teams of professionals who are paid to do engineering, marketing and design.

While I do not like the styling decisions either, I'm giving the professionals the benefit of the doubt over "i don't like the grille/design" and feel that any unbiased, emotionally stable, mature adult should come to the same conclusion.

Sales figures will speak for themselves and vote with your dollar by not buying the new car.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 01:29 PM   #84
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by B58_f32 View Post
Goid drivers car it seems. But thanks to china for thier disease no one can afford this.
hey financing / interest rates are at pretty damn low levels and the demographics that this car is being marketed to, have no issues affording it despite covid.

I think many upper-middle class buyers net worth have increased due to covid.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 02:07 PM   #85
joca
Enlisted Member
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0 S drive

truly a beautiful car! of course opinions may different but the ridiculous negative reactions are really crazy! again I think it is a super car 👍
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 02:10 PM   #86
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
I am liking this blue. And I am usually not a blue car fan
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 02:51 PM   #87
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
E90 and e92 are one of the best designs in the world. The rwd, size, 50/50, steering, practicality, simplicity and I6 turbo or NA is unmatched. I wish P would build a car like E90. They would sell like hot cakes.

Just sit and drive. I think I will always have one.
The e90 was good but far from perfect. The gear spacing wasn't the best for the 335d, and peeling of interior door handles / steering wheel was all too common, exterior windshield and rear window trim pieces would deteriorate quite rapidly in hot climates as well. The 330i (N52?) had that horrible valve tap.
I have no experience with 335d.

The cosmetic issues are minor from my experience but I don't live in Arizona (an example) and consider that climate an extreme. Unfortunately bmw used gum on some interior parts and e46 interior was the worst when it comes to parts peeling.

The N52 does have lifter tick but once you rev it and get the oil moving it's gone. Overall I consider them very durable cars and we are seeing them now approach 200k+ mi. The versatily and driver-machine interface is wonderful at that price point.

My biggest gripe was no factory lsd option especially on 335i with all that tq at 1500 rpm.
Appreciate 1
F32Fleet3539.50
      10-31-2020, 03:13 PM   #88
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Quote:

With all due respect, I'm going to be shocked if the G80/G22 is objectively worse in performance than the F80/F32. Would this not be a first for BMW to make a worse objectively worse than a prior generation and make absolutely no damn business sense?

I posted the Nring guesstimate thread and color me shocked, 2 f80 owners actually think it will be slower around the nring despite better power to weight.

I call this delusional and that is where I stop, and where we are can't have a thoughtful discussion given myopic preconceived notions
Do you really think that better power to weight makes the car faster around the track? It's one of several variables. Driving 4k lbs on track is "interesting" ... not.

My guess is the car will have to be faster to justify the new car price but how many laps and how do we swap rear brake pads?

I can tell you that it looks like they forgot to include rear brake caliper. For people that are buying dual purpose vehicle they may not get one this time.
Appreciate 0