Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA BMW G20 Dashcam and Battery Installation.

04-15-2020, 01:30 AM   #1
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340iX

Garage List
BMW G20 Dashcam and Battery Installation.

I spent my time over Easter in isolation from the world, just like everyone else. Although I have a Drive Recorder installed in the car I felt the need to have dashcams to record any unfortunate events while parked. In addition, the dashcams also give you cool video while driving and also records events on the road that would otherwise not be recorded by the Drive Recorder - like the time a Merc driver decided to brake test me in a 40 kph zone (complete with middle finger) - WTF?

So I put the time to good use and installed the following in my car:

1. BlackVue DR900S dual channel dashcams.
2. Cellink Neo6 battery to run the dashcams while parked.

As I have not installed a Power Magic Pro, I have not conducted the research on how it should be installed. I'm sure someone else will be able to help with this.

In the meantime, here is a video on the installation and a PDF file of photos and a few tips to assist you, should you wish to install something similar in your own cars.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf BMW G20 M340iX Dashcam and Battery Installation.pdf (2.14 MB, 2915 views)
Slideit49.00
cfm56d7b5876.00
baturbo47.50
Soul_Glo13342.00
BMKILLA50.50
Emrick40.50
Xsapper233.00
Terman9.00
k4sh_90539.00
vadimo310.00
TTG931.50
      04-15-2020, 09:18 PM   #2
pmunger
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Nice work!
      04-15-2020, 10:52 PM   #3
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Very nice work indeed. Thanks for sharing. I have the same setup.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 11:23 PM   #4
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveAus View Post
also records events on the road that would otherwise not be recorded by the Drive Recorder - like the time a Merc driver decided to brake test me in a 40 kph zone (complete with middle finger) - WTF?
Yeah, this is why I'm leaving the Merc tribe and joining the one where we don't have to signal for lane changes.

On a serious note, how does the BMW recorder compare to this high-end set-up?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2020, 11:47 PM   #5
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
Yeah, this is why I'm leaving the Merc tribe and joining the one where we don't have to signal for lane changes.

On a serious note, how does the BMW recorder compare to this high-end set-up?
Actually, I’ve found that the Beemer shakes the steering a little on a merge lane if I don’t signal, even with lane departure deactivated, but with active cruise activated. Clever huh?

The BMW Drive Recorder uses the front, back and side cameras and will be really useful in the event of a side impact, but it is inactive when parked.
Therefore, the main reason for me is that I’ve put in the dashcams to ensure recording continues while parked and unattended.
They also record visual events on the road, resulting in no impact, that the Drive Recorder would not pick up, ie near misses, dickheads, etc. They also record GPS speed so that you could supply this info in the event of a contested speeding event. A further reason is to see what happens to the car during servicing at the dealer - providing the bastards don’t pull the power lead out, as has happened in the past.

To me the drive recorder is my secondary set of cameras to the primary dashcams.
      04-16-2020, 12:12 AM   #6
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

They also record visual events on the road, resulting in no impact, that the Drive Recorder would not pick up, ie near misses, dickheads, etc. They also record GPS speed so that you could supply this info in the event of a contested speeding event. A further reason is to see what happens to the car during servicing at the dealer - providing the bastards don’t pull the power lead out, as has happened in the past.

To me the drive recorder is my secondary set of cameras to the primary dashcams.
I have a cheap dashcam in my Merc at the moment. When it comes back from MB service, it's disconnected. But when I've taken it to my independent guy, it stays connected and records when the ignition is turned on.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 12:59 AM   #7
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slideit View Post
I have a cheap dashcam in my Merc at the moment. When it comes back from MB service, it's disconnected. But when I've taken it to my independent guy, it stays connected and records when the ignition is turned on.
I guess the answer is to fit a tamper proof dashcam.
I had planned on doing this to my current car, but I stuck the camera down in slightly the wrong position (idiot!). I’ll move it down a little to take the tamper proof casing once I can get my hands on some fishing line to cut through the 3M adhesive.
      05-05-2020, 12:31 AM   #8
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport 2020(G20)

Quote:
I spent my time over Easter in isolation from the world, just like everyone else. Although I have a Drive Recorder installed in the car I felt the need to have dashcams to record any unfortunate events while parked. In addition, the dashcams also give you cool video while driving and also records events on the road that would otherwise not be recorded by the Drive Recorder - like the time a Merc driver decided to brake test me in a 40 kph zone (complete with middle finger) - WTF?

So I put the time to good use and installed the following in my car:

1. BlackVue DR900S dual channel dashcams.
2. Cellink Neo6 battery to run the dashcams while parked.

As I have not installed a Power Magic Pro, I have not conducted the research on how it should be installed. I'm sure someone else will be able to help with this.

In the meantime, here is a video on the installation and a PDF file of photos and a few tips to assist you, should you wish to install something similar in your own cars.

Hi Steve

Excellent video and pdf mate , I will be definitely installing the same setup as you
Have you thought about buying the Blackview polarizing filters?
I noticed in the footage of the front camera there was the reflection of the speaker grille
I will also buy the tamper proof lock for front camera.

A quick question , you did not have to buy any longer cables for the Blackvue right, they were all enough length to go from front to back ?
What brand Micro SD card did you buy and what capacity and is your current capacity sufficient . 128GB can store 7 hours of 4k footage so I was thinking of that capacity, the Samsung EVO
I think max is 256GB but maybe thats a bit too much especially when they advise you change cards every few years due to degradation.

One more question, are you getting any funny messages in your BMW display because of the install or does everything work 100% no issues.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 03:48 AM   #9
Slideit
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hi guys
Blackvue seems to be very popular. But I’ve seen good reviews on Thinkware and Viofo. Anyone have views on those two?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 04:54 AM   #10
kaipajo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Im I the only one who has like 5fps on the video? Not happening on any other YouTube videos.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 06:29 AM   #11
MrMickeyG
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaipajo View Post
Im I the only one who has like 5fps on the video? Not happening on any other YouTube videos.
How are you viewing the video? I had a similar problem - i think i was viewing them on my phone, or maybe the desktop program, but viewing the raw file was fine.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 07:30 AM   #12
kaipajo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMickeyG View Post
How are you viewing the video? I had a similar problem - i think i was viewing them on my phone, or maybe the desktop program, but viewing the raw file was fine.
On my phone. I'll check with desktop, thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2020, 03:25 PM   #13
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by firetitanx View Post
Hi Steve

Excellent video and pdf mate , I will be definitely installing the same setup as you
Have you thought about buying the Blackview polarizing filters?
I noticed in the footage of the front camera there was the reflection of the speaker grille
I will also buy the tamper proof lock for front camera.

A quick question , you did not have to buy any longer cables for the Blackvue right, they were all enough length to go from front to back ?
What brand Micro SD card did you buy and what capacity and is your current capacity sufficient . 128GB can store 7 hours of 4k footage so I was thinking of that capacity, the Samsung EVO
I think max is 256GB but maybe thats a bit too much especially when they advise you change cards every few years due to degradation.

One more question, are you getting any funny messages in your BMW display because of the install or does everything work 100% no issues.

Thanks
Yes, the reflection of the speaker grill is rather annoying, and I haven’t yet played around with camera angles and filters. I didn’t have this problem with a similar setup in my F30.
I’m not sure a filter will get rid of the reflection, but I’d be interested in purchasing one if it does the job. I haven’t researched this at the moment.
I’m using a Blackvue 128 GB SD card. I’m not sure why they are supposed to better than other cards, but it was convenient for me at the time to get all Blackvue kit. Having said that, I almost bought a SanDisk card. I have found these to be fast and robust in other applications such as DJI Drones.
If you want to increase time on the card, you can drop the quality and frame rate a little.
With regard to degradation, I used the same Blackvue SD card in my F30 for 7 years. It never failed, but I used to reformat the card every now and then........not once a month as was suggested.
Last thing......no funny message on the BMW display, and no messages regarding battery drainage (for obvious reasons).
      05-05-2020, 03:28 PM   #14
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaipajo View Post
On my phone. I'll check with desktop, thanks
I’m sorry the video is not performing properly for you.
I have just viewed it from the Post on my iPad and it looks fine to me.
If you’re still having problems, I can find the link on YouTube and post it for you.
      05-05-2020, 11:08 PM   #15
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, the reflection of the speaker grill is rather annoying, and I haven’t yet played around with camera angles and filters. I didn’t have this problem with a similar setup in my F30.
I’m not sure a filter will get rid of the reflection, but I’d be interested in purchasing one if it does the job. I haven’t researched this at the moment.
I’m using a Blackvue 128 GB SD card. I’m not sure why they are supposed to better than other cards, but it was convenient for me at the time to get all Blackvue kit. Having said that, I almost bought a SanDisk card. I have found these to be fast and robust in other applications such as DJI Drones.
If you want to increase time on the card, you can drop the quality and frame rate a little.
With regard to degradation, I used the same Blackvue SD card in my F30 for 7 years. It never failed, but I used to reformat the card every now and then........not once a month as was suggested.
Last thing......no funny message on the BMW display, and no messages regarding battery drainage (for obvious reasons).
Hi Steve ah thanks for that feedback.
If you goto https://dashcamsaustralia.com.au/sho...-cpl-filter-2/
You will see in the video the guys shows the difference between dashcam with and without filter, it seems as soon as he puts on the filter, the reflection gos away, so well worth investigating it's $50
I was looking at the samsung 128GB Pro Endurance which is recommended for continuous recording, on that dashcam web site they don't recommend sandisk though.
Great to hear no issues with cellnet and blackvue installed , warms the cockles of my heart
Ah yes and reformatting I did'nt think you needed to do it every month.
Be careful with reducing the resolution fro 4K though, my friends car was in a trolley hit and run while parked and the numberplate came out but he installed the non 4k dashcam so numberplate was just legible, if he had installed the 4k one then he would of had no issues so that is a consideration.
Thanks
Appreciate 1
SteveAus262.50
      05-06-2020, 01:16 AM   #16
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi Steve ah thanks for that feedback.
If you goto https://dashcamsaustralia.com.au/sho...-cpl-filter-2/
You will see in the video the guys shows the difference between dashcam with and without filter, it seems as soon as he puts on the filter, the reflection gos away, so well worth investigating it's $50
I was looking at the samsung 128GB Pro Endurance which is recommended for continuous recording, on that dashcam web site they don't recommend sandisk though.
Great to hear no issues with cellnet and blackvue installed , warms the cockles of my heart
Ah yes and reformatting I did'nt think you needed to do it every month.
Be careful with reducing the resolution fro 4K though, my friends car was in a trolley hit and run while parked and the numberplate came out but he installed the non 4k dashcam so numberplate was just legible, if he had installed the 4k one then he would of had no issues so that is a consideration.
Thanks
Thanks for the tip on the polarizing filter. It’s much better than I thought it would be. I’ll be getting one, for sure.

Yes, like you, I’ll be leaving my cam on 4K.

I was surprised that the SanDisk has such a poor reputation. I have been using fast SanDisk SD’s in a 4K drone for a couple of years. The drone gets very hot after 30-60 minutes of flying but I have never had a failure. Admittedly, I usually format the card once full and downloaded, not continuous recording as is the case with a dashcam.
      05-16-2020, 06:59 AM   #17
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Hi Steve

I was just doing some more research, they are dropping the price of the 900DR 2CH on dashcams australia I think the new 900x is coming now.

It includes.
1. Better thermal design (i.e more holes in the plastic
and a metal carbon tubing surround to dissipate heat,
2. Able to connect to an 4G LTE box in which you can place a nano sim

Have a look

Does not help you aargh, but for newbie buyers I think they should wait now until the new one comes out.

Having that 4G LTE box (CM100LTE I think it's called ) is very useful as you can remote connect via your phone to watch your car at any time and receive real time sms/email alerts on any incident.
Appreciate 2
Slideit49.00
BMW11278.00
      05-18-2020, 01:15 AM   #18
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Hi Steve

I was just doing some more research, they are dropping the price of the 900DR 2CH on dashcams australia I think the new 900x is coming now.

It includes.

Have a look

Does not help you aargh, but for newbie buyers I think they should wait now until the new one comes out.

Having that 4G LTE box (CM100LTE I think it's called ) is very useful as you can remote connect via your phone to watch your car at any time and receive real time sms/email alerts on any incident.
Bugger!! There’s always something new hitting the market.
Not to worry. I’m sure my expensive, ancient, defunct and decrepit 900S will work just fine for a year or two.
BTW, I bought the polarizing lens that you suggested. It works beautifully. Many thanks again for suggesting this.
      05-18-2020, 01:37 AM   #19
firetitanx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Not to worry. I’m sure my expensive, ancient, defunct and decrepit 900S will work just fine for a year or two.
BTW, I bought the polarizing lens that you suggested. It works beautifully. Many thanks again for suggesting this.
Hahaha, yes technology its amazing nothing stops it !!
Ah that's great good to hear
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 01:32 AM   #20
vlo238
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i ,17 Impreza,16 Pulsar

Quote:
Quote:
Hi Steve

It includes.

Have a look

Hi SteveAus
For the polarising lens did you get it for both front and back? Is there a big difference once installed?
Where did you also get it for as I may want to kit it for both cars
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 01:43 AM   #21
SteveAus
Captain
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlo238 View Post
Hi SteveAus
For the polarising lens did you get it for both front and back? Is there a big difference once installed?
I just got a polarizing lens for the front camera as I was getting a lot of reflection off the dash speaker grill. I didn’t bother with the rear camera as the window tint took care of any reflection.

The lens makes a huge difference, especially in bright, sunny weather. It doesn’t cut out the reflection completely, but it is significantly reduced.

I bought the lens from dashcams Australia, as suggested by Firetitanx.
The link is below.

https://dashcamsaustralia.com.au/sho...-cpl-filter-2/
      05-19-2020, 01:52 AM   #22
vlo238
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i ,17 Impreza,16 Pulsar

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlo238 View Post
Hi SteveAus
I just got a polarizing lens for the front camera as I was getting a lot of reflection off the dash speaker grill. I didn’t bother with the rear camera as the window tint took care of any reflection.

The lens makes a huge difference, especially in bright, sunny weather. It doesn’t cut out the reflection completely, but it is significantly reduced.

I bought the lens from dashcams Australia, as suggested by Firetitanx.
The link is below.

https://dashcamsaustralia.com.au/sho...-cpl-filter-2/
Thanks SteveAus and firetitanx - I will get on it too thanks for the advice
Appreciate 0