Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Should i sell my BMW 330i G20

View Poll Results: Should i sell?
Yes 6 100.00%
No 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

11-18-2023, 02:47 PM   #1
Amr.Hafez88
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M-sport 2019

Should i sell my BMW 330i G20

Hi All,

My 2019 330i has been giving me headaches almost every year now, it started with the tensioner belt snapping, that was on back order from Germany for 3 weeks, then the cooling pump stopped working later on and the belt snapped again, another 4 weeks of waiting for parts, that was only last year.

This year i had a coolant leak, which turned out to be the housing filter being broken, later on the thermostat stopped working, and at the same time the return pipe to the coolant container snapped, which is is also on back order for 3 weeks now and still waiting.

I bought the car 3 years ago as a used car, had 20k on it, first year went fine but once the factory warranty was gone the pain started.

Question is, is this normal, or am I unfortunate to have a lemon, and should i sell if this is the case?
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2023, 03:41 AM   #2
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

Yikes! I've never heard of this... not sure if that is good or bad news for you though? What does BMW say?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2023, 09:12 PM   #3
Gaviatrix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amr.Hafez88 View Post
Question is, is this normal, or am I unfortunate to have a lemon, and should i sell if this is the case?
I'm sorry to hear you're having issues. It sounds very abnormal to me. Whilst BMW don't rejoice in a Toyota-like reputation for reliability, they're not generally that bad, and the G20 as far as I'm aware has generally fared pretty well in reliability surveys and is regarded as one of the better BMW products. The B48 engine is a development of a unit that has been in production for nearly a decade and is usually very reliable - most issues I've heard of have been with the various electronic systems on the car rather than the mechanical bits. So I'd definitely be taking it up with BMW Australia.

As to your buy/sell question, it may depend partly on depreciation and what you're replacing it with. Whilst having to get things fixed is a pain, if you end up dropping a big amount as a sale or trade-in (and I'd be uncomfortable about selling a car I don't trust privately - at least a dealer has some statutory warranty obligations if they're selling on a trade-in) then you might decide to stick with it. Tough one. Good luck whatever you decide.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2023, 11:18 PM   #4
BRK
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i F36

Vote of one. Sorry to hear of your issues. Belt- snap- when replaced did they do the tensioner. Have seen bad bearings in the tensioner wheels of other makes with serpentine belts.
Pumps - that’s just bad luck imo. Those housings are mongrels of things but it seems it is common (which it shouldn’t be). Sell?? I wouldn’t as it seems you have addressed the known issues with these cars.
Appreciate 0