Forum for the entire range of BMW electric vehicles
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW i4 Forum - i430, i440 (G26) EV Forum BMW i4 Forum - M50, eDrive40, eDrive35 (G26) EV Forum

09-13-2020, 10:43 PM   #23
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firaxis View Post
Not even close, there's entire service divisions / engineers / sales / advisors etc. that currently use company diesels (or frugal petrols) to travel up and down counties all day. They can't really stop for a 3 - 5 hour charge during.

I've done the odd 350 mile trip (one way) and I wouldn't even consider an EV unless it could do 400 miles mixed (IRL). Lucid's 571 mile range even if optimistic would fit the picture but I seriously doubt any company would settle for a $139K price tag seen as most of their fleet or car allowances equate to $40K (or less) BMW's (mainly)..

Then again we don't really need 800HP to travel at 70MPH for five hours either..
He said 99% of the people and for the most part that is correct

It only takes about 30 minutes to fast charge an EV to 80%
      09-13-2020, 11:05 PM   #24
Firaxis
Captain
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post

So you have facts and figures on every drivers distance metrics in the UK and other applicable countries to confirm this 99%? Look I'm not trying to be unreasonable here.

I agree for the daily commuter and point to point office person 200 / 250 miles is going to be fine and they are the majority. Although many industries still require large mileage (in some cases I'm not sure why but that's a different argument).

There is a bit of a time crunch due to some countries regulations to sort this portion out and I hope they do. Oh and our rapid charging infrastructure is rather sub par, I doubt you'll get 80% in 30 mins on a 3.7 or 7KW.!
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      09-14-2020, 12:18 AM   #25
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN View Post

So you have facts and figures on every drivers distance metrics in the UK and other applicable countries to confirm this 99%? Look I'm not trying to be unreasonable here.

I agree for the daily commuter and point to point office person 200 / 250 miles is going to be fine and they are the majority. Although many industries still require large mileage (in some cases I'm not sure why but that's a different argument).

There is a bit of a time crunch due to some countries regulations to sort this portion out and I hope they do. Oh and our rapid charging infrastructure is rather sub par, I doubt you'll get 80% in 30 mins on a 3.7 or 7KW.!
Electric cars are typically charging at night and like your cellphone ready by morning

My BEV is charging @ 6.6 kw so it's close to 80% in less than 30 minutes

I agree that the charging networks are crap needing much work
      09-14-2020, 10:10 AM   #26
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeMan View Post
lol.

You can achieve that now, just haul a small generator that can maintain the charge and you'll never stop more than a few min.
Rather than carrying around a generator, I'd rather have this:

https://www.electriccarfaq.com/tesla...ery-evolution/
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 11:21 AM   #27
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
Rather than carrying around a generator, I'd rather have this:

https://www.electriccarfaq.com/tesla...ery-evolution/
Maybe one day, but I like to ground myself in reality. Unless the solid-state battery all of sudden happens, we are really, really far away from a 3000k mile warrant
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2020, 06:08 PM   #28
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Not even close, there's entire service divisions / engineers / sales / advisors etc. that currently use company diesels (or frugal petrols) to travel up and down counties all day. They can't really stop for a 3 - 5 hour charge during.

I've done the odd 350 mile trip (one way) and I wouldn't even consider an EV unless it could do 400 miles mixed (IRL)...
I’ve done a 400-mile (each way) trip 20+ times in my Tesla Model 3 with less than 45 minutes of charging time for each trip.

Your hypothetical situation (3-4 hours charge time) doesn’t represent reality.
Appreciate 2
///M TOWN13117.00
      09-17-2020, 11:20 AM   #29
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCD1 View Post
I’ve done a 400-mile (each way) trip 20+ times in my Tesla Model 3 with less than 45 minutes of charging time for each trip.

Your hypothetical situation (3-4 hours charge time) doesn’t represent reality.
+1

I think the range is fine. Total range is a sales gimmick and becoming less important year by year as battery tech improves and pushes past the avg. 300 point.

My theory is Porsche understood and researched client range experiences in BEV vehicles from case studies of other manufacturers max range claims. Thus, they chose to under promise and over deliver on range. Here are several examples of this in real world testing. IMO, I rather have a car that over performs than under performance manufacturer specifications, regularly - I don't think anyone in the Porsche service drive is complaining of range on a daily basis.

https://insideevs.com/reviews/410798...4s-range-test/

Appreciate 0
      10-02-2020, 10:37 AM   #30
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

That Taycan is also on the 19's, which almost none are. Makes a pretty big difference to range. There's a reason no other EV has come with 265 front, 3x5 rears yet, despite all of them being heavy pigs that really NEED a big tire if the tire is going to stand up to any kind of track work. IIRC the Taycan 19" setup is a 225/275 stagger. The 21's that the Turbo S comes on, that made all the headlines about how terrible the range is, are 265/305's

I give Porsche a ton of credit for just sending it. IT's obviously still a great EV underneath, if you have a spare set of road trip wheels.

A lot of Model 3 guys have a set of 18's with the OEM 18" LRR foam-filled tires for road trips, and a set of wide 18's with sticky tires on them for fun times

It's encouraging that a bunch of the BMW i4 mules have ben spotted with staggered summer setups with a 245/275 setup IIRC from some of the spy shots. Bodes well for "optimized" road trip/winter range.

Last edited by Richbot; 10-02-2020 at 10:43 AM..
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      10-04-2020, 11:34 AM   #31
ZCD1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
That Taycan is also on the 19's, which almost none are. Makes a pretty big difference to range...
Range is one aspect that affects the EV road-trip experience, charging speed is another, but arguably the biggest factor is location/availability of DC fast charging. The Taycan has the middle factor covered, but the other 2 factors, which are intertwined, are still a pretty big question mark for non-Tesla EVs.

Remarks from Taycan owners regarding their Electrify America experiences have been less than favorable to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2020, 12:50 PM   #32
Richbot
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCD1 View Post
Range is one aspect that affects the EV road-trip experience, charging speed is another, but arguably the biggest factor is location/availability of DC fast charging. The Taycan has the middle factor covered, but the other 2 factors, which are intertwined, are still a pretty big question mark for non-Tesla EVs.

Remarks from Taycan owners regarding their Electrify America experiences have been less than favorable to say the least.
Yep. It definitely is an open question whether anybody can catch up. Much like an early Tesla, so far, this race has been all launch and no top end but it seems like the other guys are just now getting into their powerband and Tesla is about to grab another gear. If 2020 Tesla were a car it’d be a newer one, now all the sudden with the infrastructure and production speed advantages; they are becoming unbeatable in the 20-100mph range of manufacturing hell. If they find that next gear it’s all over

Lol analogies that will make no sense 20 years from now
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2020, 06:58 PM   #33
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I just read that this past quarter, the highest selling Porsche car (not SUV) is not the 911, not the Boxster, not the Cayman and not the Panamera, it is the Taycan. Who wodda thought?
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      10-06-2020, 01:56 PM   #34
Richbot
Major General
Rep

It's a debut year for both the 992 911 and the Taycan, so that ain't it. Wild. I do wonder if part of it is just covid discretionary income weirdness, and if it'll stabilize closer to par with the Panamera.
      01-20-2021, 05:33 AM   #35
BigHunk
///M
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M , iX , S1000XR

As already seen in other tests, there is not much range difference between model S and Taycan.

Tesla drives like average car, except acceleration, while Taycan drives and feels like luxury sports car,
simply it's complete car, and Tesla is overpriced average car.

Like always 135 miles of range difference was proven lie, that seems to be constant with Elon Musk.

18 months ago he was BS that model S will be faster than Taycan on Nurburgring,
that never happened because Tesla is not able to deliver constant power, as seen in graph from Car and driver.

Quote:
More surprisingly, the Porsche held its own in our 75-mph range test. While the EPA says there's a 134-mile difference in the range between the two, extrapolating from our 100-mile run, the
real-world difference amounts to 10 miles in the Tesla's favor. The Taycan also won the other speed test, with its consistently higher charging rate providing quicker recharging. Tesla's Supercharger network might have more stations, but it also has more users, and Tesla owners have faced long queues just to plug in during peak travel times. At the Electrify America outpost where we charged the Porsche, 15 other plugs went unused the entire time we were there.
Attached Images