Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Vibration Rattle from rear of G21 M340i

10-22-2020, 03:12 AM   #1
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

Vibration Rattle from rear of G21 M340i

My car has recently developed a vibration rattle over certain small bumps/imperfections in the road. It's coming from the rear left, somewhere around the rear seat/rear seat belt or the rear door.
I've removed the head rest, folded the seat down, taken out the two boot load/net covers that I use at times. No difference.
Anyone got any ideas, suffered something similar. It's not that loud and is definitely a vibration rattle, not a squeak. It is however driving me nuts
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 07:39 AM   #2
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Haven't heard of anything like this before. Sanity check: not a loose seatbelt buckle?
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 09:15 AM   #3
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

Does your car have a panoramic roof?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 10:14 AM   #4
MD707
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

Think I have the same and G21 specific. Wife cannot hear it but I can. I think it's to do with the dog guard / load cover. It locks into place but still feels like a little bit of play in it. Might need some foam pads or something. But you say you have removed the whole lot so not sure...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 01:41 PM   #5
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorcan View Post
It does. I've closed the cover, opened the roof a little, still get vibration. Could be that though
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 05:56 PM   #6
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I think it is this. When I drove back tonight I leant back and put some upwards pressure on the rear section glass. This seemed to stop the vibration.
Is there an easy fix do you know? I'll try and fully open and close it and see what that does
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 10:33 AM   #7
JM13RS
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 Touring

Garage List
I have an m340i on loan, with a pan roof. My lord it does not half rattle!! Never heard anything like it. Bit worried as my G21 is due for collection next week & i have the pan roof option
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 01:51 AM   #8
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN View Post
Quote:
I think it is this. When I drove back tonight I leant back and put some upwards pressure on the rear section glass. This seemed to stop the vibration.
Is there an easy fix do you know? I'll try and fully open and close it and see what that does
Sorry to hear about the problem Pete, hope you get it sorted - nothing more annoying than things like rattles and creaks from trim and they're all the more noticeable in a car that's otherwise quiet and refined.

My car also has the panoramic roof and is rattle and vibration free; therefore, if you end-up having to take yours to a dealers and they try to give you a story of "they all do that" I can assure you they don't. Having said that mine's done only around 2.5k miles so I suppose there's still time for a fault to develop; however, I had a panoramic roof in my F31 and never heard a peep out of it in over 5 years and 80k miles - I except the same from the G21!
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 03:32 PM   #9
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

It's definitely the roof and I get the vibration rattle from the rear left. I've seen that on some other forums people put some felt tape on the rear edge but this is on the g20. I'm going to try this on the back edge of the opening glass which means it may butt up a little more snuggly against the non opening glass. If I open the roof in tilt or other mode the vibration rattle stops. If this doesn't work I'll book it in but I'd rather not.
Car has just turned 2500 miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 08:17 AM   #10
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I've discovered that it's actually the internal trim that sits between the two pieces of glass. The noise was resonating towards the rear which fooled me. I've put a piece of material underneath it which means it now can't bounce/vibrate. I'll do something more permanent when the rain stops Silence is back!!
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2020, 05:38 PM   #11
Nexstar2011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i Dravit/Mocca

Quote:
I've discovered that it's actually the internal trim that sits between the two pieces of glass. The noise was resonating towards the rear which fooled me. I've put a piece of material underneath it which means it now can't bounce/vibrate. I'll do something more permanent when the rain stops Silence is back!!
Just resurrecting this as I too am suffering from this. Would you mind posting a pic of what you did and where please??
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 03:30 AM   #12
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexstar2011 View Post
Quote:
Just resurrecting this as I too am suffering from this. Would you mind posting a pic of what you did and where please??
I will do when I'm home later.
Ultimately though it's the piece of plastic trim that hides the gap between the two pieces of pano roof glass. You can put your hand up and hold it easily whilst driving along to see if it is that. All I did was put a material face mask😂 behind it so it stops the vibration and takes out the small bit of slack that was allowing it to move and vibrate.
I'll just take it out when I open it again in the spring unless I find a better solution. Silence ever since I did this👍👍
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2022, 01:47 AM   #13
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d g20

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Guys, I have had an annoying rattle on my 320d for almost two years now. Kindly have a look at the video via the link below. Seems to come from the rear, is intermittent and random, bit when it starts, it is a constant noise. Today I went on as long drive through the hills on roads made for a 3 series. The result started 30 minutes into the drive, and persisted for the rest of my 3 hour round trip, ruining what was meant to be a fun drive. The sound comes from the back.
https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/tW58gbCf1a9H

Dealers have not been able to replicate the issue, one dealer managed to hear the rattle once, but could not reproduce in the workshop, and hence cannot diagnose. Am at my wit's end. What are my options? How do I get BMW engineers (not dealers) look into this?

Guys, any tips to to help address this issue would be welcome.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 03:49 AM   #14
DaveChan64
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d m sport XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by francton View Post
Guys, I have had an annoying rattle on my 320d for almost two years now. Kindly have a look at the video via the link below. Seems to come from the rear, is intermittent and random, bit when it starts, it is a constant noise. Today I went on as long drive through the hills on roads made for a 3 series. The result started 30 minutes into the drive, and persisted for the rest of my 3 hour round trip, ruining what was meant to be a fun drive. The sound comes from the back.
https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/tW58gbCf1a9H

Dealers have not been able to replicate the issue, one dealer managed to hear the rattle once, but could not reproduce in the workshop, and hence cannot diagnose. Am at my wit's end. What are my options? How do I get BMW engineers (not dealers) look into this?

Guys, any tips to to help address this issue would be welcome.
I have 320d , with intermittent rattle, seems to be coming from the back. I gently tapped parcel shelf and can hear rattle .. from inside , slight right there is a unit , looks like a small vent . When i press on it , I can’t hear rattle. Anyone know what its for and suggest how to fix it
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 04:21 AM   #15
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChan64 View Post
I have 320d , with intermittent rattle, seems to be coming from the back. I gently tapped parcel shelf and can hear rattle .. from inside , slight right there is a unit , looks like a small vent . When i press on it , I can’t hear rattle. Anyone know what its for and suggest how to fix it
The middle seat belt buckle holder? (at least thats what I think it is as its pretty useless at even doing that)

I think it's a common fault. I took my then 2 week old car into dealer for what was most definitely a rear suspension knock and they insisted on ripping out the parcel shelf and replacing the seat belt buckle holder. Needless to say it made sod all difference and the knock is still there.
      07-05-2022, 04:31 AM   #16
francton
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d g20

Garage List
2019 BMW 320D  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveChan64 View Post
In my case it was the vent at the back of the parcel shelf. It's wedged between the glass and the metallic shelf underneath. It's a horrible design. I have greatly reduced my rattle by wedging 3mm felt tape between the vent and the glass. It's hard to wedge, but possible if you press down on the vent.
If you press the vent, you can feel it move. After I wedged the tape, there is very little movement and hence the reduction in the rattle in both frequency and volume. Now it rattles sometimes only when I drive on coarse chip highways.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2022, 08:43 AM   #17
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

Someone mentioned that their rattle was the metal part of the seat belt banging against the plastic trim. Could that be it?