Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Had enough of this G20 - 320d

11-25-2020, 03:08 AM   #1
Dpfghela
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320d

Had enough of this G20 - 320d

So, after a failed drivers mirror - that's folding motor and glass...

A failed air unit - because a screw came loose and wouldn't open the vent

A failed vibration damper which sheered the drive belt...

I now have failed rubber door seals pealing off like this is some kind of cheap 80s metro.....

Car is getting part ex'd..... I can't trust it....
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2020, 10:03 AM   #2
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Are you under warranty? Sound like annoyances. It's not a bad car I find. I've had worse with an E92 and F32. The E92 was an issue a month and big ones too. Nowadays I don't have the time or patience to fix things. My mechanic always recommends getting a car once it has been out a number of years. He says by the time there is a refresh (LCI) or close to end of production, most issues have been addressed by then.

What will you get instead?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 01:21 PM   #3
Dpfghela
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul_Glo View Post
Are you under warranty? Sound like annoyances. It's not a bad car I find. I've had worse with an E92 and F32. The E92 was an issue a month and big ones too. Nowadays I don't have the time or patience to fix things. My mechanic always recommends getting a car once it has been out a number of years. He says by the time there is a refresh (LCI) or close to end of production, most issues have been addressed by then.

I think your mechanic is absolutely right.

At least with LCI cars the garages are well versed in all aspects.

I liked my previous beemer. So I'm thinking maybe a convertible 435?

Or a 640d gran coupe. But they are looooong cars
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2020, 01:40 PM   #4
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dpfghela View Post
Quote:

I think your mechanic is absolutely right.

At least with LCI cars the garages are well versed in all aspects.

I liked my previous beemer. So I'm thinking maybe a convertible 435?

Or a 640d gran coupe. But they are looooong cars
Someone off here said they loved hustling a 640d down country lanes. I had one as a loan car and it's a sophisticated cruise machine. Motorway muncher. City I think not. The 435i vert would be fun but not as economical as a 320d. Convertible tend to be heavier as they require more reinforcement and the roof mechanism weighs a bit too. Leaving less luggage area. I'd look to the 340i and 440i if you are moving away from derv. One way to find out. Drive them and decide. Let us know how you go.
Appreciate 1
      11-26-2020, 05:06 PM   #5
ukbeemerboy
Beemer Heaven
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Someone off here said they loved hustling a 640d down country lanes. I had one as a loan car and it's a sophisticated cruise machine. Motorway muncher. City I think not. The 435i vert would be fun but not as economical as a 320d. Convertible tend to be heavier as they require more reinforcement and the roof mechanism weighs a bit too. Leaving less luggage area. I'd look to the 340i and 440i if you are moving away from derv. One way to find out. Drive them and decide. Let us know how you go.
I think he meant 435d if he was looking at the 640d....

2018 BMW M4 Competition
2019 Mini Countryman Cooper S : 2008 Mini Cooper
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 12:50 AM   #6
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep

The 35d engine for sure. More than enough power for everyday needs. Pretty effortless in most situations. I miss mine. Killed off by flood damage. The tech was getting old though. Laser lights on the G20 drew me in and a better iDrive. It's not 35d power... as you know acoustic glass makes for a quieter ride. I asked myself how much power do I actually need? Or can put down on a road?? Having gone from V10, to V8 to I6's... I thought the 35d was a sweet spot in my experience. I vowed to never go i4 but was thoroughly impressed with the G20 it made me go backwards. It's everything the F30 could have and should have been bar the reliability issues you mention.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2020, 07:00 AM   #7
Dpfghela
Rep

Quote:
The 35d engine for sure. More than enough power for everyday needs. Pretty effortless in most situations. I miss mine. Killed off by flood damage. The tech was getting old though. Laser lights on the G20 drew me in and a better iDrive. It's not 35d power... as you know acoustic glass makes for a quieter ride. I asked myself how much power do I actually need? Or can put down on a road?? Having gone from V10, to V8 to I6's... I thought the 35d was a sweet spot in my experience. I vowed to never go i4 but was thoroughly impressed with the G20 it made me go backwards. It's everything the F30 could have and should have been bar the reliability issues you mention.
Again, super interesting comments.

The g20 is definitely more refined.

Damped, solid fixtures with the cabin

But to me it feels less of a drivers car because of all the drivers aids.

I have considered giving a different g20 another try. But I'm just proper suspicious now.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13343.50
      11-27-2020, 11:41 AM   #8
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘72’ BMW M340d G20 LCI

Quote:
Again, super interesting comments.

The g20 is definitely more refined.

Damped, solid fixtures with the cabin

But to me it feels less of a drivers car because of all the drivers aids.

I have considered giving a different g20 another try. But I'm just proper suspicious now.
Sadly, same reason I got rid of my 330i. Fed up of all the niggles and issues with it, in and out dealership, I’ve never known BMW have so many quality control issues. Never this much with previous generations?

In fact some people won’t part with their previous gen because of all these niggles. Family member is BMW through and through, owns 5! But he said won’t consider touching these new ones.... don’t blame him personally after owning mine.
Appreciate 1
      12-02-2020, 01:31 PM   #9
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Sorry to hear of your probs OP. I so far have only had minor issues mainly buggy CA and other than that have nothing but praise for the G20....so far
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 08:00 AM   #10
Dpfghela
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OM3RTA View Post
Sorry to hear of your probs OP. I so far have only had minor issues mainly buggy CA and other than that have nothing but praise for the G20....so far
Glad to hear nothing minor has come up! I definitely think mines a first production run and hence early issues.

Keen to find out did you have a BM F30 before and if so I'm keen to find out what the steering feel was like in your opinion.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 08:29 AM   #11
larven
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 335d

Done 16k in my G20 and it hasn’t put a foot wrong.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2020, 03:17 PM   #12
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Glad to hear nothing minor has come up! I definitely think mines a first production run and hence early issues.

Keen to find out did you have a BM F30 before and if so I'm keen to find out what the steering feel was like in your opinion.
Mine is an early build too.

No. I almost bought a 330d F30 last year but we decided to put that £ to a house project instead but I driven a few F30's quite a bit with a cousin of mine now on his 2nd. Steering is definitely better than the F's if still a touch vague but it's night and day better than the numb steering on Audi's.
Appreciate 1