Bimmerpost
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions BMW 3-Series (G20) Reviews Compilation

12-12-2018, 06:10 PM   #89
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep
Drives: 1981 323i, sports M5, LSD

After reading the reviews and watching the videos, here are a few comments I have.

1- Uninspiring design inside and out: exterior design is a mix of the conservative (overall shape) and bizarre (unnecessary creases & lines), the nose in particular is strikingly ugly, the rear looks like a Lexus. The interior to me looks very bland. I think Mercedes Benz really pushes the envelope of their interior design and some might not like it, but BMW is so stuck in the past... The counter rotating electronic rev counter is not only ugly but also counter-intuitive to read. Overall, the car IMO already looks outdated and very "Japanese" not "European".

2- Size: this car is basically a 5 series now, however how come there is no increase in boot space?

3- Technology spent on gadgets but not on driving hardware. I was expecting the 3-series to have the superior double wishbone front suspension of the 5-series. Alas, that did not happen. Instead they spent the money on tech that is not working properly (voice recognition).

4- Manual gearboxes: don't get me started on this...

5- No more compact RWD cars from BMW. This car becoming so big, a lot of us who love the compactness of older BMW will not find anything anymore in the brand.

Sorry for the rant but I'm very disappointed in this car and I was expecting something great. Those who say that "thankfully the driving dynamics are back" should ask themselves this question: why would BMW lose them in the 1st place: it was part of the DNA of the brand.

I think that Alfa Romeo with their Giulia are closer to the ethos of BMW than BMW is. Ok the interior is not great quality wise, but it is nicely designed and simple to operate and the exterior has the flamboyance that BMW lost. Lastly its size is right. Now they need to work on reliability ;-)
      12-12-2018, 06:42 PM   #90
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 6MT

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul-Bracq-BMW View Post
After reading the reviews and watching the videos, here are a few comments I have.

1- Uninspiring design inside and out: exterior design is a mix of the conservative (overall shape) and bizarre (unnecessary creases & lines), the nose in particular is strikingly ugly, the rear looks like a Lexus. The interior to me looks very bland. I think Mercedes Benz really pushes the envelope of their interior design and some might not like it, but BMW is so stuck in the past... The counter rotating electronic rev counter is not only ugly but also counter-intuitive to read. Overall, the car IMO already looks outdated and very "Japanese" not "European".

2- Size: this car is basically a 5 series now, however how come there is no increase in boot space?

3- Technology spent on gadgets but not on driving hardware. I was expecting the 3-series to have the superior double wishbone front suspension of the 5-series. Alas, that did not happen. Instead they spent the money on tech that is not working properly (voice recognition).

5- No more compact RWD cars from BMW. This car becoming so big, a lot of us who love the compactness of older BMW will not find anything anymore in the brand.

Sorry for the rant but I'm very disappointed in this car and I was expecting something great. Those who say that "thankfully the driving dynamics are back" should ask themselves this question: why would BMW lose them in the 1st place: it was part of the DNA of the brand.

I think that Alfa Romeo with their Giulia are closer to the ethos of BMW than BMW is. Ok the interior is not great quality wise, but it is nicely designed and simple to operate and the exterior has the flamboyance that BMW lost. Lastly its size is right. Now they need to work on reliability ;-)
BMW and the 3-Series have changed a lot, haven't they?

In one of the video reviews (forgot exactly which one), the presenter brought an interesting fact into particular focus, that BMW no longer offers a RWD 6-cylinder 3-Series.

We knew that fact already, but actually letting it sink-in, is a big realization.

In the brief span of a decade (2008-2018), BMW went from the E90, offering the most diversified and versatile lineup of the 3-Series (mix of 4 and 6-cylinder engines, naturally aspirated and turbocharged, petrol and diesel applications, RWD and AWD models, with manual transmissions available for most variants), to the very limited selection that we have coming with the G20, all turbocharged, all automatic, and RWD only available with 4-cylinders.

What was amazing about all of this is that the E90 and its many variants, even in their more "basic" forms, drove respectably, like a BMW.
Of course, I will reserve my judgement for the G20 until I drive one (and I have high hopes for it), but the F30 absolutely fell-short in that department.
A "basic" F30, particularly sans M Sport, absolutely drove like a generic [rental] vehicle.

Where we are now is quite the contrast from 10 years ago and it's quite unfortunate for the BMW enthusiast community that BMW has lost things along the journey.
More drivetrain choices/combinations would've been nice.
And the argument that MB or Audi doesn't do it is actually the perfect argument why BMW should do it (i.e., manual trans.).
Because that's what would set BMW apart as a true drivers' car.
Alas, it's also understandable that the business decision behind it was based on the fact that not enough people voted with their wallets, so there's that.

Still, I'm excited to drive the G20 when the opportunity arrives.
At this point, I'm not expecting it to be a 3-Series of yore but I am expecting it to be much improved over the F30.

| E9x M3 Press/Media Archives Thread | S65-based Racing Engines Thread |
Appreciate 2
      12-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #91
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Law View Post

In one of the video reviews (forgot exactly which one), the presenter brought an interesting fact into particular focus, that BMW no longer offers a RWD 6-cylinder 3-Series.

We knew that fact already, but actually letting it sink-in, is a big realization.

In the brief span of a decade (2008-2018), BMW went from the E90, offering the most diversified and versatile lineup of the 3-Series (mix of 4 and 6-cylinder engines, naturally aspirated and turbocharged, petrol and diesel applications, RWD and AWD models, with manual transmissions available for most variants), to the very limited selection that we have coming with the G20, all turbocharged, all automatic, and RWD only available with 4-cylinders.

What was amazing about all of this is that the E90 and its many variants, even in their more "basic" forms, drove respectably, like a BMW.
Of course, I will reserve my judgement for the G20 until I drive one (and I have high hopes for it), but the F30 absolutely fell-short in that department.
A "basic" F30, particularly sans M Sport, absolutely drove like a generic [rental] vehicle.

Where we are now is quite the contrast from 10 years ago and it's quite unfortunate for the BMW enthusiast community that BMW has lost things along the journey.
More drivetrain choices/combinations would've been nice.
And the argument that MB or Audi doesn't do it is actually the perfect argument why BMW should do it (i.e., manual trans.).
Because that's what would set BMW apart as a true drivers' car.
Alas, it's also understandable that the business decision behind it was based on the fact that not enough people voted with their wallets, so there's that.

Still, I'm excited to drive the G20 when the opportunity arrives.
At this point, I'm not expecting it to be a 3-Series of yore but I am expecting it to be much improved over the F30.

Hi.

Yes, such big changes, I don't really recognise my BMW of old. So much focus on tech, less so on driving...

About chasing clients, they got more, but are they the right clients for the brand, the ones that will be faithful to it? This is something debatable...

Don't get me wrong, I will test drive the new 3er, but If I were to purchase a new BMW, I would be a 2 series, the M2 CS is probably the last exciting compact size BMW.

I've driven a rental 2-litre turbodiesel E90 and I was impressed on how good and "tight" it felt, I've driven a F30 rental too and it felt like a Japanese appliance...

My next car will probably be a vintage BMW or else, more analogue feel is what I love about driving... Don't get me wrong, I live and work in a very modern way, completely connected, but when I get in my car I want to feel the analogue freedom without all the unnecessary gadgets, well except for a great sound system ;-)

Cheers!

12-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #92
Pinkoboe
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 C43

Quote:

I agree with most of your other comments, but the M340i comes in both rwd and xDrive versions (I.e. rwd and six cylinders).
Appreciate 1
Law5625.00

12-12-2018, 07:20 PM   #93
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Hi.

Yes, such big changes, I don't really recognise my BMW of old. So much focus on tech, less so on driving...

About chasing clients, they got more, but are they the right clients for the brand, the ones that will be faithful to it? This is something debatable...

Don't get me wrong, I will test drive the new 3er, but If I were to purchase a new BMW, I would be a 2 series, the M2 CS is probably the last exciting compact size BMW.

I've driven a rental 2-litre turbodiesel E90 and I was impressed on how good and "tight" it felt, I've driven a F30 rental too and it felt like a Japanese appliance...

My next car will probably be a vintage BMW or else, more analogue feel is what I love about driving...

Cheers!
You make a good point about the faithful.

My guess would be both yes and no, to that answer.
Yes, because a newer type of buyer/driver would be attracted to the current BMW, for whatever reasons they may be (i.e., AWD+Inline-6, BMW Personal Assistant/tech, good infotainment/iDrive, etc.) and a new generation will grow up to know these attributes as BMW characteristics, as strange as that may sound to you and I.

And no, because chasing tech and numbers is a very "disconnected" way of building loyalty, simply because tech and numbers can always be reproduced/emulated/improved-on by competitors, or by time itself.
Look at something like an Apple Watch Hermes from several years ago. They sold for something like $10,000 USD, and now they are worth close to nothing.
Point is, tech and the latest, greatest numbers are dispensable things that do not stand the test of time. Not only that, but people who chase numbers are more inclined to go for competitors whenever something newer or "greater" is offered.

So really, it's kind of two-pronged, it's yes, and no. I can see arguments for both, and real world buyers are probably a mix of the two, though the ratios of which are certainly debatable.

Agreed on your assessment of the E90 vs. F30 driving feel.
Everyone has their own opinion of the "last" BMW they feel like was a good blend of tradition and modernity. I'm in no hurry to get rid of my E90 M because for my own use, it strikes that balance.
Still, I can appreciate new BMWs as new cars, and there's still very few sub-exotic cars I'd rather have over an equivalent BMW, but if I were buying something to keep around for the long-haul, it would most certainly be from something in the past.

Anyways, good discussion, and hope to see you around the boards more often.

Cheers.

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 07:25 PM   #94
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit View Post
I agree with most of your other comments, but the M340i comes in both rwd and xDrive versions (I.e. rwd and six cylinders).
That's my mistake, with most of the press and coverage speaking about the M340i xDrive, I must've forgotten that the base M340i is RWD (as standard) in the US market.
The video I mentioned really threw me off there.

Well, at least US buyers get to rejoice on that fact!!

Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 08:25 PM   #95
Just a 3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i prem sport perf pkge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritzer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
Glad the driving dynamics are finally back - shame there's no 6MT anymore which is kind of ironic. Would've loved to grab one as a daily in a few years if it had the stick, guess I'll be running my E90 into the ground...
Hey, I recognize you! Back to the E90 forums we go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6ixSpd View Post
guess I'll be running my E90 into the ground...
You and me both. Glad we have guys like Efthreeoh around to pave the way with his crazy long commute in his E90!
Add me to the list...
Appreciate 1
Fritzer388.50

12-12-2018, 08:37 PM   #96
KGB_123_99
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 330ix M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortexiphan View Post
Why get any of the other two over beemer?
Because they're not made in Mexico
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 10:19 PM   #97
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

Quote:
That's my mistake, with most of the press and coverage speaking about the M340i xDrive, I must've forgotten that the base M340i is RWD (as standard) in the US market.
The video I mentioned really threw me off there.

Well, at least US buyers get to rejoice on that fact!!
At least M340 X drive (or whatever they name her) behaves like a proper RWD and you can drift her as per the CarWow video... So maybe the best of both worlds and I would not be surprised that the M3/4 will be AWD...

Sorry, have not been in the forums recently, too busy doing research for my vintage car business ;-)

Cheers!

12-13-2018, 02:22 AM   #98
TodmordenLad
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: -

Quote:
Quote:
Hi.

My next car will probably be a vintage BMW or else, more analogue feel is what I love about driving...

Cheers!
You make a good point about the faithful.

My guess would be both yes and no, to that answer.
Yes, because a newer type of buyer/driver would be attracted to the current BMW, for whatever reasons they may be (i.e., AWD+Inline-6, BMW Personal Assistant/tech, good infotainment/iDrive, etc.) and a new generation will grow up to know these attributes as BMW characteristics, as strange as that may sound to you and I.

And no, because chasing tech and numbers is a very "disconnected" way of building loyalty, simply because tech and numbers can always be reproduced/emulated/improved-on by competitors, or by time itself.
Look at something like an Apple Watch Hermes from several years ago. They sold for something like $10,000 USD, and now they are worth close to nothing.
Point is, tech and the latest, greatest numbers are dispensable things that do not stand the test of time. Not only that, but people who chase numbers are more inclined to go for competitors whenever something newer or "greater" is offered.

So really, it's kind of two-pronged, it's yes, and no. I can see arguments for both, and real world buyers are probably a mix of the two, though the ratios of which are certainly debatable.

Agreed on your assessment of the E90 vs. F30 driving feel.
Everyone has their own opinion of the "last" BMW they feel like was a good blend of tradition and modernity. I'm in no hurry to get rid of my E90 M because for my own use, it strikes that balance.
Still, I can appreciate new BMWs as new cars, and there's still very few sub-exotic cars I'd rather have over an equivalent BMW, but if I were buying something to keep around for the long-haul, it would most certainly be from something in the past.

Anyways, good discussion, and hope to see you around the boards more often.

Cheers.
You guys make some very valid points about the dilution of BMWs DNA in every new generation of model. Im on my 6th BMW and the best one to drive was my E36 325i. I'm still loyal to the brand but recognise - and mourn - what has happened to the driving experience.
Inevitably BMW is all about global sales, and they design and spec cars to meet changing consumer trends and tastes. I suspect that enthusiasts make up a small proportion of their overall global customer base. More's the pity
I'd be very surprised if the G20 is dramatically better to drive than the F30. There'll be marginal improvements of course but they're still chasing global sales, with their focus on volumes and market share, and I guess their argument would be: If driving experience matters that much, buy an M - and maybe I will, next time

12-13-2018, 03:51 AM   #99
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

the tidbit about the 340i having the old steering rack puts another nail in its coffin as far as being the better choice.

I'm pretty sold on the 330i though. Probably will be my next car whenever I get rid of my A4. Just sounds like its gonna be a sensible car for getting to work, that can outdance an A4 when you want it to be a little exciting. In the end thats probably what the 3 series is, and i'm glad BMW bothered to give us a bit more of that.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 08:18 AM   #100
psuibmw
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F15/2011 F10/2008 E90

Garage List
2017 BMW X5  [0.00]
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
2018 BMW 320  [0.00]
It is amazing the amount of hate the G20 gets, but I LOL when I read them because I'm sure this G20 will be the most successful car in the history of BMW just look at # of comments when the topic is G20 compared to other topics.

Someone here said it before, when the F30 was launched it was very underwhelming but look how many F30 we see on roads now also look how cool the F80 is just imagine the G80

The G20 numbers are good so far, handling and driving dynamics improved, looks mostly better than before (ok subjective) ... I need to sign the paper for an AW M340i now

My 2 cents do shoot me for that
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 11:34 AM   #101
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:

Ain't that the truth. You probably won't remember, or even have been aware of, the fanfare when the Alfa 156 came out. BMW beater, Italian style and flare, all of it projected by "enfusiastz". Puking oil, clutches dying, Selespeed selecting three gears at once, leaky doors, and the electrics... yikes. Then there was the 166, and the 159. And as for the Giulia's punani front end. Well bleugh, but there is no accounting for taste despite the best efforts of this forum

Anyway, the same people clamouring for more electronics and responsibility avoidance techniques are the ones clamouring for a 2,900 lb kerb weight and a manual transmission. So they can be safely ignored.

Alfa's entire global output is less than BMW's 2 series output; enthusiasts are being catered for by Alfa but BMW is going for every corner of the world in every segment. Anyone know what else Alfa makes? Anyone, anyone, Bueller, anyone.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 11:43 AM   #102
ScottAndrew
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i

Quote:

Oh come on, when the E46 came out there were two models. 318i and 328i, i.e. a shit range. A wheezy four-pot or a monster six-cylinder. When I bought mine mid-season, I had a choice of TEN engines and if I lived in Yurrup, I could have had RWD or AWD . When then E90 came out you could have a 320i, 320d and 330i, nothing AWD. That was it, i.e., shit. If you compared the E90 at launch to the E46 at peak, you'd say the same thing - "it's shit" - but it would be a pointless comparison.
Quote:
Hmm. I recall huge disappointment at the choice of run-flat tyres, the increase in size, the bizarre styling, the lack of door strips that made parking lot damage a guarantee, the narrow rear track and inboard rear wheels that made the rear end look like a full baby's diaper, the oversized rear lamps off a Daewoo, the awful camel-hump dashboard if you specified iDrive and the featureless expanse if you did not, the less driver-focused interior whose console no longer pointed at the driver... all forgotten now by this forum, which now lauds it as one of the "troo grates".
Appreciate 2
      12-13-2018, 12:28 PM   #103
Law
Global Moderator
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011.5 BMW M3  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
Oh come on, when the E46 came out there were two models. 318i and 328i, i.e. a shit range. A wheezy four-pot or a monster six-cylinder. When I bought mine mid-season, I had a choice of TEN engines and if I lived in Yurrup, I could have had RWD or AWD . When then E90 came out you could have a 320i, 320d and 330i, nothing AWD. That was it, i.e., shit. If you compared the E90 at launch to the E46 at peak, you'd say the same thing - "it's shit" - but it would be a pointless comparison.

Hmm. I recall huge disappointment at the choice of run-flat tyres, the increase in size, the bizarre styling, the lack of door strips that made parking lot damage a guarantee, the narrow rear track and inboard rear wheels that made the rear end look like a full baby's diaper, the oversized rear lamps off a Daewoo, the awful camel-hump dashboard if you specified iDrive and the featureless expanse if you did not, the less driver-focused interior whose console no longer pointed at the driver... all forgotten now by this forum, which now lauds it as one of the "troo grates".
I'm not sure where I mentioned anything was "shit".
And nowhere did I even throw in the E46 as a comparison.

I was simply speaking about the E90 to F30 to G20.
Things have changed. We've gained some and lost some through the journey.

Am I still keeping an open mind? Absolutely.

So please relax, because you're implying that it's delusional to compare the many changes that have occurred in the last 10 years.

Why don't we talk about the topic at hand (G20 vs. predecessors/driving character) instead of going off-tangent (i.e., E46 vs. E90/design)?

Appreciate 1
Jason26954.50

12-13-2018, 06:05 PM   #104
Paul-Bracq-BMW
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
Ain't that the truth. You probably won't remember, or even have been aware of, the fanfare when the Alfa 156 came out. BMW beater, Italian style and flare, all of it projected by "enfusiastz". Puking oil, clutches dying, Selespeed selecting three gears at once, leaky doors, and the electrics... yikes. Then there was the 166, and the 159. And as for the Giulia's punani front end. Well bleugh, but there is no accounting for taste despite the best efforts of this forum

Anyway, the same people clamouring for more electronics and responsibility avoidance techniques are the ones clamouring for a 2,900 lb kerb weight and a manual transmission. So they can be safely ignored.

Alfa's entire global output is less than BMW's 2 series output; enthusiasts are being catered for by Alfa but BMW is going for every corner of the world in every segment. Anyone know what else Alfa makes? Anyone, anyone, Bueller, anyone.
I'm aware as I've been following the car industry for years and I'm in the 1950's vintage car business ;-). The 156 was never a BMW beater for the simple reason it was FWD and on a shared Fiat platform. The Giulia on the other hand is another beast. The engineering is from the father of the Ferrari 458 Speciale, Philippe Krieg and it shows. You can argue all day about sales but one thing is more important IMO, it is passion and I reckon BMW has lost or at least diluted that part. Ferrari sells less than 10K units per year, yet it's one of the most desirable brands in the planet.

Porsche has managed to walk this fine line of passion and sales the best of all the premium brands and I wish BMW made smart decisions like them. An example is that they made a mistake by going with the flat four for their Boxster and now they will launch their future high spec Boxster/Cayman GT4's with the flat 6.

About sales numbers, you can make them talk anyway you want. Did you know that most of the sales for the 2 series come from the Active Tourer? In Europe in 2017 they sold 85K of these compared to less than 12K for the coupť-convertible... Do you really think that BMW should make these Active Tourer? Are they any good for the brand?

And yes, car manufacturers can make much more lightweight cars which are more rigid using high strength steel, aluminium and composites and the trend is there with weight savings of up to 55Kgs compared to the previous generation for the 3 series when the new car is bigger. Can you imagine how much more weight they would have saved with the same sized car?
      12-13-2018, 06:14 PM   #105
am3r1ka
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
2011 E90  [0.00]
I don't know who finally had the balls to stand up and address the exhaust notes for the entire BMW lineup, but it's about damn time. Crazy that it's even crackle and pops now from the 330i. Bravo.
      12-14-2018, 02:23 PM   #106
deceptiv.M3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18 BMW M3 ZCP

How do I put this without disparaging anyone interested in this car. Iíve had the last 3 generations of the 3 series. I picked up an f80 18 zcp m3 6 months ago- I was questioning whether I should wait for the g80 and while the g80 Iím sure will be fantastic- this generation so far is not inspiring - itís grown more in length, it looks bloated, and itís lost all of bmws design cues. It looks like a Kia upfront, Mercedes on the side and Lexus from the back.

Add to that- the price hike for the m340i is going to put a base g80 m3 in the high 80s to 90s range and Iím assuming the zcp will be even more

This should drive better values for the f80. I hope Iím wrong but if youíre going to spend that much might as well go Porsche
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 02:30 PM   #107
JMon
FAST
Rep
Drives: Porsche GT3 Cup

Just move to a 2 series. Problem solved. 2 series will be as big as current 3 by next generation.
2 is the new 3.
3 will be the new 5
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2018, 04:24 PM   #108
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMon View Post
Just move to a 2 series. Problem solved. 2 series will be as big as current 3 by next generation.
2 is the new 3.
3 will be the new 5
And they will all be able to land on the aircraft carrier (X7).
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 06:16 AM   #109
spikecraib
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMon View Post
2 is the new 3.
3 will be the new 5
Well said.

While I love my E90 335d itís not perfect. I donít think any car is.

Iím willing to accept some design elements I donít agree with as I accept Iíll never find the perfect car for me. Personally Iím really liking what Iím seeing of the m340i. Yes some of the creases in the front are not to my taste. The car is growing on me the more I see and read about it.

If U.K. lease prices are good it could well be my next car.

If you search for perfection youíll be disappointed... my (only) wise(ish) words.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2018, 04:31 PM   #110
SleepingBMW
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Daily reminder BMW has raised the price of the 3 series while reducing costs by making in Mexico not Germany.

=^] No thanks Hans.
Appreciate 0