Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals Euro Spec M340i vs M4 vs M550i Drag Race

05-06-2020, 11:04 AM   #199
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndi335I View Post
True that, I have been on the F01 and E65 forums for the past 10 years and never encountered this much disdain for one another. The guys on there for the most part supported others whether it was a new or used car. Only the trolls were beat up...lol
agreed - fortunately if you look at these threads (and there's been a few like this one) you'll see it's only a handful of people that repeatedly post on the subject. It's a vocal minority IMHO :-)
Appreciate 1
JDUNITNOW3453.00
      05-06-2020, 11:40 AM   #200
DenHaag3er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
agreed - fortunately if you look at these threads (and there's been a few like this one) you'll see it's only a handful of people that repeatedly post on the subject. It's a vocal minority IMHO :-)
I was new here and never really bothered much with enthusiast forums. I kept on seeing the same bitterness from M car fans about the M340i and it was always in one direction. Its a bit of fun to tease them now as they will keep on seeing various new videos of the M340i performing well.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 05:22 PM   #201
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenHaag3er View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
I was new here and never really bothered much with enthusiast forums. I kept on seeing the same bitterness from M car fans about the M340i and it was always in one direction. Its a bit of fun to tease them now as they will keep on seeing various new videos of the M340i performing well.
For one, I'm happy to see the M340i succeed. It's a preview of what is to come with the G80. It's fine to drag race an M3/4 against the M340i and analyze the results. The key word is ANALYZE and not make unrealistic conclusions. When someone makes a blanked statement that the M340i is "faster" it's simply incomplete.

What is more accurate is: It's faster on a downhill drag from a dig on a public road. AWD has an advantage from a dig and an even bigger one on a downgrade because of the weight transfer to the front wheels. In the video posted, the M4 won easily from a roll according to the creator. The owner even came here to confirm. So the M340i is slower from a roll.

What is the truth then? The M340i is faster or slower? Well.. both depending on the race and the conditions. Same thing happened with the M235i vs M2.

What we try to do here in an enthusiast forum is provide knowledge, not spread ignorance. You cannot expect to say "the M340i is faster than the M3/4" without being corrected because it simply isn't complete. It doesn't paint an accurate picture. To react to knowledge by telling people they are butthurt or crybabies is a testament to the maturity of the one who is in the wrong, not the validity of the information. In other words, even if someone is bitter, it doesn't make them wrong. The facts speak for themselves.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 2
figure99123.00
      05-06-2020, 05:36 PM   #202
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcjohnsonsg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
I left BMW after hanging unto an E46 for 10 plus years and just returned with this G20. These new generation M car owners are a different breed. You'd never see this bs on E46fanatics back in the day. M3 guys, 323i, 325i , 330i and the ZHP owners etc all get along, no show-boating, no condescension, no bull shit about how you're in a lesser car because you can't afford the GT3 beating F80. No ridiculous arguments about how non M car's can't be use for the track.

When we had car meets, everybody got the same love and respect. It's no wonder I have not gone to a car meet since the E90 debuted. Thankfully not all M drivers are this vain. The only place I see car guys shitting on BMW's is on your typical Lexus forums. Maybe it's a generational thing, truly sad.
True that, I have been on the F01 and E65 forums for the past 10 years and never encountered this much disdain for one another. The guys on there for the most part supported others whether it was a new or used car. Only the trolls were beat up...lol
I believe the M2 vs M235i/M240i debate was very similar. Where M235i owners claimed their cars are better than M2's because of some drag races.
While I agree with your underlying sentiment, you say that as if this is a wide spread disease going around all M340 owners. It's not, it's not much more than a handful of folks making such comments, and I have a feeling that at least 50% of them are just poking at M owners to get a reaction. So, let's not blow this out of proportion...it's just a small minority's of owners, and I would have thought the best response would be to ignore the comments.
It takes two people to have an argument. If the M owners didn't say anything the M340i owners will claim truth through no objections. If the M owners make a case, then they are labeled as bitter. It's a no win scenario and doesn't leave room for constructive discussion because everyone's feelings get hurt.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 07:57 PM   #203
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

Quote:
That's completely valid. Street racing is very different than tracking however.

I don't go to the track specifically to compare times, although it happens naturally, but not usually to brag about "kills", merely to set a goal for myself. A better skilled driver will run faster laps in a "slower" car. People at circuits are overall very friendly and helpful to one another. We give ride alongs, share our techniques, and even help when something breaks. We are all there to ultimately beat our personal bests and the skill levels are so spread apart that I'd rather see what a faster driver's line is and compare it to mine rather than talk shit about a car because it's slower to 60. Ridiculous. Of course there are some bad eggs too, but not as many as road ragers on the street.

I think the only times I compare lap times is when someone in acting like a complete douche bag. They're usually in the beginner heats, overdriving their high horsepower car and bullying the slower drivers (honking, passing aggressively, riding their tails, not letting faster cars -Miatas- pass because of their ego). Otherwise, respect to skilled drivers, fk the d-bags.

I've met more than a few street racers come in for the first time on a track day, bragging how they're gonna tear it up and they know how to drift around corners because the freeway onramp by their house is enough to hone their skill. I love seeing the look in their eyes after their first session when they realize street racing is like 1/10th the intensity of circuit racing. They shut up real quick and start asking questions... which is a good thing. Gotta admit, I had a little of that in me. I thought I could drive until a 50 year old former professional race car driver proved to me I pretty much sucked!

Circuit racing give you humility.

Street racing inflates your ego.
I always wanted to try this but was afraid to try it. Did not want to wreck a car I had to pay for or have some dick head like the ones you spoke of wreck me. I still may consider one day but want to take a class before attempting. I always assumed i am a good driver and know my limitations which have kept me safe. I actually wrecked a couple of RX-7's in my younger days so it calmed me down considerably.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2020, 10:15 PM   #204
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
That's completely valid. Street racing is very different than tracking however.

I don't go to the track specifically to compare times, although it happens naturally, but not usually to brag about "kills", merely to set a goal for myself. A better skilled driver will run faster laps in a "slower" car. People at circuits are overall very friendly and helpful to one another. We give ride alongs, share our techniques, and even help when something breaks. We are all there to ultimately beat our personal bests and the skill levels are so spread apart that I'd rather see what a faster driver's line is and compare it to mine rather than talk shit about a car because it's slower to 60. Ridiculous. Of course there are some bad eggs too, but not as many as road ragers on the street.

I think the only times I compare lap times is when someone in acting like a complete douche bag. They're usually in the beginner heats, overdriving their high horsepower car and bullying the slower drivers (honking, passing aggressively, riding their tails, not letting faster cars -Miatas- pass because of their ego). Otherwise, respect to skilled drivers, fk the d-bags.

I've met more than a few street racers come in for the first time on a track day, bragging how they're gonna tear it up and they know how to drift around corners because the freeway onramp by their house is enough to hone their skill. I love seeing the look in their eyes after their first session when they realize street racing is like 1/10th the intensity of circuit racing. They shut up real quick and start asking questions... which is a good thing. Gotta admit, I had a little of that in me. I thought I could drive until a 50 year old former professional race car driver proved to me I pretty much sucked!

Circuit racing give you humility.

Street racing inflates your ego.
I always wanted to try this but was afraid to try it. Did not want to wreck a car I had to pay for or have some dick head like the ones you spoke of wreck me. I still may consider one day but want to take a class before attempting. I always assumed i am a good driver and know my limitations which have kept me safe. I actually wrecked a couple of RX-7's in my younger days so it calmed me down considerably.
Dick heads are few and far between. 2 years tracking and I've only seen that one and there were no accidents. Most people get upset when you DON'T follow the rules. Definitely get instruction, skip the frustration of trying to figure out why you are actually going slower if you're going too fast.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 06:35 AM   #205
G444
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
For one, I'm happy to see the M340i succeed. It's a preview of what is to come with the G80. It's fine to drag race an M3/4 against the M340i and analyze the results. The key word is ANALYZE and not make unrealistic conclusions. When someone makes a blanked statement that the M340i is "faster" it's simply incomplete.

What is more accurate is: It's faster on a downhill drag from a dig on a public road. AWD has an advantage from a dig and an even bigger one on a downgrade because of the weight transfer to the front wheels. In the video posted, the M4 won easily from a roll according to the creator. The owner even came here to confirm. So the M340i is slower from a roll.

What is the truth then? The M340i is faster or slower? Well.. both depending on the race and the conditions. Same thing happened with the M235i vs M2.

What we try to do here in an enthusiast forum is provide knowledge, not spread ignorance. You cannot expect to say "the M340i is faster than the M3/4" without being corrected because it simply isn't complete. It doesn't paint an accurate picture. To react to knowledge by telling people they are butthurt or crybabies is a testament to the maturity of the one who is in the wrong, not the validity of the information. In other words, even if someone is bitter, it doesn't make them wrong. The facts speak for themselves.
So funny to read it, one time is problem down hill road, next time is slick road, next time is too hard tyres, next time wet road,... com’on really car shot in every condition (😁 joke)

“In the video posted, the M4 won easily from a roll according to the creator. The owner even came here to confirm. So the M340i is slower from a roll.”
Really? With 55hp more would be really sad if would not win from a roll😂

The superior thing of M340i is just great xdrive sistem if we look in drag, engine is less powerful as we all know, but that makes M340i a better car for tuning since adding more horse power does not loose traction like M3, but on other view is more fun RWD😁
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 08:24 AM   #206
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

FYI - to all reading this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenHaag3er View Post
I saw the above comment and was confused - but then I realized - this is a merged thread.

The original thread was here and all good. Then a 340 owner posted it in the M3 section saying "must watch, it is only 9 minutes". So a duplicate post, in another forum, simply to stir up chit.

Yea, some of the responses are pretty immature - but seriously, there was no reason to double post this - especially in the M3 forum unless you were looking for a fight (and oh boy did he get one).

So... the comments are out of line and also out of context. M3/M4 owners did not go here to dis on the 340 (amazing car btw), the 340 owner went to the M3/M4 forum to dis on them...

At the end of the day, just remember this is a merged thread from another board.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 10:38 AM   #207
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G444 View Post
Quote:

So funny to read it, one time is problem down hill road, next time is slick road, next time is too hard tyres, next time wet road,... com’on really car shot in every condition (😁 joke)

“In the video posted, the M4 won easily from a roll according to the creator. The owner even came here to confirm. So the M340i is slower from a roll.”

The superior thing of M340i is just great xdrive sistem if we look in drag, engine is less powerful as we all know, but that makes M340i a better car for tuning since adding more horse power does not loose traction like M3, but on other view is more fun RWD😁
What?

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 02:20 PM   #208
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Dick heads are few and far between. 2 years tracking and I've only seen that one and there were no accidents. Most people get upset when you DON'T follow the rules. Definitely get instruction, skip the frustration of trying to figure out why you are actually going slower if you're going too fast.
👍🏾Thanks, I may do this soon. Working from home with my wife, I may need to let some frustration out on a track.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 04:31 PM   #209
Dirtyg20M
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Quote:
yep, this is why I don't go to many car meets and I don't drag race or compete at tracks. I don't care if its a m3 or m340i, I appreciate the car for what it is or what I can afford. I typically don't have time to set around to see who has the biggest jank. ��
I left BMW after hanging unto an E46 for 10 plus years and just returned with this G20. These new generation M car owners are a different breed. You'd never see this bs on E46fanatics back in the day. M3 guys, 323i, 325i , 330i and the ZHP owners etc all get along, no show-boating, no condescension, no bull shit about how you're in a lesser car because you can't afford the GT3 beating F80. No ridiculous arguments about how non M car's can't be use for the track.

When we had car meets, everybody got the same love and respect. It's no wonder I have not gone to a car meet since the E90 debuted. Thankfully not all M drivers are this vain. The only place I see car guys shitting on BMW's is on your typical Lexus forums. Maybe it's a generational thing, truly sad.
I'd agree. Honestly, when I saw this video for the first time I knew this wouldn't go over well and M3/4 owners would go nuts and start talking about track times, roll races, cost comparison, poor drivers and rwd vs awd etc. Lol None of which have anything to do with the actual video footage. 🤦🏾*♂️

The race seemed fair and the M4 did not spin - he simply lost. If the win would've went to the M4 this thread wouldn't have gotten nearly the same response.

M car or not they are both great cars and are practically leasing for the same. I carefully selected this car over the M4, but in the end they are both amazing driving machine "BMW".
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 05:25 PM   #210
Dirtyg20M
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So funny to read it, one time is problem down hill road, next time is slick road, next time is too hard tyres, next time wet road,... com'on really car shot in every condition (😁 joke)

"In the video posted, the M4 won easily from a roll according to the creator. The owner even came here to confirm. So the M340i is slower from a roll."

What?
Found this video by TrackDay! Share your thoughts.

Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 08:26 PM   #211
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Like I said in your other thread you started....stop stirring the fucking pot!!
      05-07-2020, 08:39 PM   #212
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyg20M View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

So funny to read it, one time is problem down hill road, next time is slick road, next time is too hard tyres, next time wet road,... com'on really car shot in every condition (😁 joke)

"In the video posted, the M4 won easily from a roll according to the creator. The owner even came here to confirm. So the M340i is slower from a roll."

What?
Found this video by TrackDay! Share your thoughts.

It's really hard to take youtube videos too seriously since we don't know the conditions of the tires, how warm were they, what was the road like, temp? That. At looks modded. Was he on factory cup2's or us domestic MPSS's?

Results vary, factory claims 3.7sec in 0-60. I'm sure I can pull some of my data logs and see what I was getting from stage to track, but tires are cold and I wasn't trying to get the best time, just get the tires warm. I probably have some autocross data logs I can pull. The CS managed to walk the Alfa in this video so again, can't take these videos as gospel:

Your video has some valid points on the car:

Throttle is too sensitive - true, in sport plus. This is why most of us who track tend to bounce between sport and sport plus and it all depends on the track. You don't lose power, it's just throttle response.

Exhaust is mediocre - true. The S55 doesn't sound pretty. That's why I got an MPE for both the CS and my base M3. It helps a lot.

This car wasn't meant for drag - true. If it were meant for drag, it would have been fitted with 305's in the rear out of the gate. It comes with 285's. I upgraded to 295's with the stock lightweight 20's and I'm planning on going 305's with track 18's. Why does a channel called track day not use a track though?

It's not worth $100k - true. MSRP was $107k on my CS. I paid $90k but with a 60% residual of $64k. $90k-64k=$26k lease cost not including tax and money factor. Not bad for a $100k car and not much more than my previous M3. I would not pay $107k for my car.

Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      05-08-2020, 11:19 AM   #213
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Case in point, if drag racing were so important, why get a M340i when you can get a Tesla Model 3?

Answer:

There is more to performance and the driving experience than the drag race.

The Tesla Model 3 makes M3/4 and M340i owners eat humble pie, I'd still rather own a M3/4 or even an M340i for that matter.

Appreciate 1
      05-08-2020, 07:18 PM   #214
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Case in point, if drag racing were so important, why get a M340i when you can get a Tesla Model 3?

Answer:

There is more to performance and the driving experience than the drag race.

The Tesla Model 3 makes M3/4 and M340i owners eat humble pie, I'd still rather own a M3/4 or even an M340i for that matter.
I will co-sign on that. I would rather drive a car with soul than a IPAD on four wheels.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2020, 08:22 AM   #215
HighlyMedicated
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m340ix

Tesla3 owners are funny thinking they are as fast as the S models. Yes highend teslas are quick but not so much the 3 models. Its so fun to play around with the model 3 owners lol.

My M4 with tune and boltons was epic but the m340i is a great car also, not far behind fun wise. No need to hate on Non M's, M owners look down on non M's and vice versa, but in the end both great machines and always cool to see either on the road!

The m340i wont be as sporty and raw as the M3/4's for daily driving, but they're much more affordable so more people are able to experience the joy of the M lifestyle. Live smart, humble and healthy ya'll!
Appreciate 1
Delija40.50
      05-19-2020, 12:51 PM   #216
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlyMedicated View Post
Tesla3 owners are funny thinking they are as fast as the S models. Yes highend teslas are quick but not so much the 3 models. Its so fun to play around with the model 3 owners lol.

My M4 with tune and boltons was epic but the m340i is a great car also, not far behind fun wise. No need to hate on Non M's, M owners look down on non M's and vice versa, but in the end both great machines and always cool to see either on the road!

The m340i wont be as sporty and raw as the M3/4's for daily driving, but they're much more affordable so more people are able to experience the joy of the M lifestyle. Live smart, humble and healthy ya'll!
Lol. Much more affordable?? Monthly lease payments were not much different.

I would say much more livable for boring daily drives to grocery store and volleyball practices!!

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 10:05 AM   #217
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Quote:

Lol. Much more affordable?? Monthly lease payments were not much different.

I would say much more livable for boring daily drives to grocery store and volleyball practices!!
Tbh most people don't know how leases work. They see MSRP and assume that's what they are paying.

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 11:19 PM   #218
HighlyMedicated
Lieutenant
Rep

My monthly lease for m4 was $1200 and the m340i is $600 lol so yea much more affordable for people i'd say
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2020, 03:43 AM   #219
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
My monthly lease for m4 was $1200 and the m340i is $600 lol so yea much more affordable for people i'd say
That's a horrible M4 lease. What was your MF and residual? Cap cost? What was the selling price? Did you have neg equity on a trade or something? Sounds like you had $5-9k in neg eq.

BYW $600 for what are essentially $60k cars is ok, not great. $500/mo 10k/36 is attainable with zero down with good timing and negotiation. What was the MF, miles, term, MSRP and discount?

Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 04:37 AM   #220
HighlyMedicated
Lieutenant
Rep

Yea i suck at negotiating, what is the best price monthly for an m4? I dont remember my MF or residual but the price of the car was $82000 , zero down , 10k miles , and had wheel and tire package.

My m340i was a loaner car so it came with 4k miles on it but msrp was $63000 but my lease price was around $54000. Again zero down, 10k miles, only discount was bmw loyalty credit.

Need you for the next car, teach us the way to the best deals!
Appreciate 0