Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Engine Sound Setting Coding Tutorial w/ Bimmercode

04-16-2020, 11:54 AM   #45
Misko_Hryzko
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i (G20)

Garage List
2020 BMW 320i  [0.00]
So my 320i doesn't have any valve in the exhaust nor the cables suggesting the valve is there.
BMW did not agree on the complete exhaust system replacement (e.g. Armytrix) but at least OPF back system meaning resonator and muffler delete without affecting warranty. Quite good surprise. I'll let you know how sound changed once custom OPF back straight pipe is installed
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2020, 11:58 AM   #46
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misko_Hryzko View Post
So my 320i doesn't have any valve in the exhaust nor the cables suggesting the valve is there.
BMW did not agree on the complete exhaust system replacement (e.g. Armytrix) but at least OPF back system meaning resonator and muffler delete without affecting warranty. Quite good surprise. I'll let you know how sound changed once custom OPF back straight pipe is installed
It will do a really good job helping you tune down the sound of your engine, not as much engine noise but just as much burble. That's what it helped me accomplish, keep us updated! I'd like to see how this menu helps everyone else.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 07:56 PM   #47
bombstar
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19' 330i Sport Line

I was thinking of coding this on to my G20 but I can't access expert controls for MGU in Bimmercode.

Does anyone have a copy of the latest psdzdata? (I just got updated to 03/2020)
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 09:00 PM   #48
Tanzanite G20
Tanzanite
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i xdrive G20

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by g20beam View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingBroStyle View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrjonesg20 View Post
the only problem that I have found is that you need to select the engine noise every time you restart the car, otherwise it would go back to default.
save the engine sound to one of the 1- 8 memory buttons that's what I did
Exactly what I did too, along with tpms and sport displays. It's real nice that those buttons are configurable to those screens.

On a side note, now I'm hopeful to code M mode to one of those buttons too, could be very possible..
How did you manage to get the Sport display to stick to one of the radio buttons, I have tried multiple time an get the message that is cannot be saved. Just curious if there's another way to do it.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2020, 09:03 PM   #49
Tanzanite G20
Tanzanite
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i xdrive G20

Garage List
2019 BMW 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Hey guys, so I figured I'd tell you all how to code this option if you're looking to do exhaust modifications and want to minimize engine sound output digitally. There's actually an effective way to achieve this in iDrive 7 with the help of Bimmercode. I have a muffler delete w/ catless downpipe setup and this setting really helped to minimize the sound output level of my car. I'm on Bootmod3 AGG tune, while the pops and bangs are still there, the engine noise is massively muted in the 'reduced' engine sound setting.

To do this, go into HU_MGU expert mode. Use the search bar at the top of the menu. Type in SOUND and you will see two lines of coding pop up; enable both of these codes, and press code. Attached are results if done correctly, you can access this menu in general settings.

Enjoy!
Hey , I've successfully coded the engine sound menu, while i was doing it I found another option named; M_SOUND, anyone knows what that does?
Just curious I've have been trying to get this option to show on my idrive with no luck just wondering what the specific names are for the listing and what module it's located in thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 09:01 PM   #50
Desrste
BMW4LIFE
Rep
Drives: '16 428i GC. '08 535, '84 e30

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw390898 View Post
OK - help please.
2019 320i M Sport - The car only has ECO, Comfort and Sport driving modes.

I have seen the thread on programming Sport+ and this one for Engine sounds.

I am not too interested in the higher revs on Sport Plus I am looking to achieve a more sporty engine and cabin sound when in Sport mode, or Sport + if I do enable this.

Does Sport + change the engine sound?

Does coding as described in this thread provide a difference to the exhaust sound?

Is there an ASD speaker on this which BeemerCode enables me to turn on under the RAM header - can the cabin noise be increased and does this tie in with driving mode selected?

Thanks every and anyone that can help here.

Just seems pointless upgrading the app and coding a car on a lease if I cant get what i want by doing it.
Depends which car you have, I've heard that any G20 after 07/2019 do not show any signs of burbles regardless of driving mode or any coding.

My G20 330i from 12/2018 with all these things coded drastically changed the sound of my vehicle.
My 330i is also a 12/2018 build... standard exhaust... just coding sport+ dramatically changed the car! I also did the exhaust valve mod, so my exhaust stays open in every drive mode. I'm going to code this tomorrow and try with and without exhaust valve mod and see if I can tell any difference.

Btw - anyone else notice the increase in the turbo blow-off fluttering sound after accelerating with sport +?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2020, 11:04 PM   #51
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanzanite G20 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingBroStyle View Post
Quote:
the only problem that I have found is that you need to select the engine noise every time you restart the car, otherwise it would go back to default.
save the engine sound to one of the 1- 8 memory buttons that's what I did
Exactly what I did too, along with tpms and sport displays. It's real nice that those buttons are configurable to those screens.

On a side note, now I'm hopeful to code M mode to one of those buttons too, could be very possible..
How did you manage to get the Sport display to stick to one of the radio buttons, I have tried multiple time an get the message that is cannot be saved. Just curious if there's another way to do it.
It won't work if you're in Sport Display already, it works if you hover over the option in settings, with your scroll wheel. Once it's hovered over just hold any of the radio buttons and it will save.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2020, 11:05 PM   #52
g20beam
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2019 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desrste View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jw390898 View Post
OK - help please.
2019 320i M Sport - The car only has ECO, Comfort and Sport driving modes.

I have seen the thread on programming Sport+ and this one for Engine sounds.

I am not too interested in the higher revs on Sport Plus I am looking to achieve a more sporty engine and cabin sound when in Sport mode, or Sport + if I do enable this.

Does Sport + change the engine sound?

Does coding as described in this thread provide a difference to the exhaust sound?

Is there an ASD speaker on this which BeemerCode enables me to turn on under the RAM header - can the cabin noise be increased and does this tie in with driving mode selected?

Thanks every and anyone that can help here.

Just seems pointless upgrading the app and coding a car on a lease if I cant get what i want by doing it.
Depends which car you have, I've heard that any G20 after 07/2019 do not show any signs of burbles regardless of driving mode or any coding.

My G20 330i from 12/2018 with all these things coded drastically changed the sound of my vehicle.
My 330i is also a 12/2018 build... standard exhaust... just coding sport+ dramatically changed the car! I also did the exhaust valve mod, so my exhaust stays open in every drive mode. I'm going to code this tomorrow and try with and without exhaust valve mod and see if I can tell any difference.

Btw - anyone else notice the increase in the turbo blow-off fluttering sound after accelerating with sport +?
Yeah depending on what gear I am in, the nice intake/turbo whistle can be heard
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 05:53 AM   #53
MY86
Enlisted Member
Turkey
Rep
Drives: G30 520i G20 320i

Quote:

Hi,

How did you code the exhaust valve mod?
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2020, 07:36 AM   #54
Desrste
BMW4LIFE
Rep
Drives: '16 428i GC. '08 535, '84 e30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MY86 View Post
Quote:

Hi,

How did you code the exhaust valve mod?
Not to hijack the post... full credit to the OP, g20beam for figuring out how to actually code the exhaust valve... and many other features as well 👍.

I did it the old fashioned way...

There are some good posts on this topic that I used. Apologies, I'm writing this on my iPhone so I don't know how to find the post and then come back to post it.

1. Start car.
2. Throw it into Sport mode and listen for the valve opening.
3. Unplug valve actuator on right side of exhaust while the valve is open.
4. I cut the thumb off of a rubber glove and put that over the actuator.
5. Gently pushed the plug back into the plug, being careful not to seat it and poke holes through the rubber.
6. Wrapped that with electrical tape to seal it off.
7. Threw on a couple zip ties to make sure it stays that way.

Valve doesn't know it's supposed to close so it is always open. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 2
g20beam467.50
MY8615.00
      04-22-2020, 11:37 AM   #55
minakoto00
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330i xDrive Luxury Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanzanite G20 View Post
Just curious I've have been trying to get this option to show on my idrive with no luck just wondering what the specific names are for the listing and what module it's located in thanks
I coded this in yesterday and assuming you are using Bimmercode. It's in HG_MGU (HeadUnit). Once you enter expert mode, as g20beam mentioned in the opening, you could type 'SOUND' in the search bar. I recalled that these 2 options are called something like 'SOUND_KONFIGURABILITY_xxx' and 'SOUND_KONGFIGURATION_display_xxx' (it's inaccurate but pretty similar). Enable those 2 options by choosing 'enabled' or 'aktiv' then you would be able to get it show on your Drive.

Guess the BMW engineers created 2 parameters instead of one to manage whether to get those options showed up and whether you can actually tweak what you see around.

Last edited by minakoto00; 04-22-2020 at 11:47 AM..
Appreciate 1
g20beam467.50
      04-26-2020, 11:21 AM   #56
mnavis29
Rep
Drives: BMW 435xD

Hi guys,

I just did the changes via bimmercode. The menu shows up, but I can't really select any of the options. Anybody had the same issue?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 02:27 PM   #57
MY86
Enlisted Member
Turkey
Rep
Drives: G30 520i G20 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnavis29 View Post
Hi guys,

I just did the changes via bimmercode. The menu shows up, but I can't really select any of the options. Anybody had the same issue?
I had the same issue. I could not make it work properly.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 03:38 PM   #58
minakoto00
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330i xDrive Luxury Line

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY86 View Post
I had the same issue. I could not make it work properly.
What parameters did you guys code?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2020, 05:07 PM   #59
mnavis29
Rep
Drives: BMW 435xD

Those two as described in this thread. The menu shows up with all the options, but can't select any. It's not greyed out.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 06:56 AM   #60
up2up
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5M 2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnavis29 View Post
Those two as described in this thread. The menu shows up with all the options, but can't select any. It's not greyed out.
Dear Carmates..
any idea around resolving the disable option.. I enabled both but the options are disabled and can’t choose any.

Maybe it’s related to another option that need to be activated as well.
Please help.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2020, 04:24 PM   #61
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

I had coded this in a long time ago and forgot to check if it actually works or not.
I tried it out today and it works. No doubt about that. It is in fact the ASD that is being controlled and not the exhaust valve. Reason I say it is because in my car, I have not coded ASD off. And my exhaust valves are always open because that’s how I’ve set it via the canflap option in my JB4. So it is loud in comfort and sport modes (I don’t use eco pro). I tried the depending on driving mode option (which is the default setting) and the reduced option. In the default option, the ASD is raucous under hard acceleration. In the reduced mode, the ASD is almost off (I think I could just about hear it). Only the actual engine sound and exhaust sound can be heard. That confirms that it works. I set it back to the default option and forgot to see if it resets back to default if I had left it in the reduced option. I’ll check that out later and post here.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 11:35 AM   #62
up2up
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minakoto00 View Post
What parameters did you guys code?
we have coded the two lines.. same instruction. but i can't select any of the options.. any ideas?
      06-22-2020, 06:12 PM   #63
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by up2up View Post
we have coded the two lines.. same instruction. but i can't select any of the options.. any ideas?
I wonder why. In my car, I can select the options and the ASD changes depending on which setting I selected. But it does not stick. It resets when I turn the car off and on again later. If I turn it off and back on immediately without getting out of the car and the car going to sleep, it sticks. But if I let the car sleep, it doesn't stick.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 06:58 PM   #64
jaimeen77
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
what is your firmware version?
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 07:24 PM   #65
up2up
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaimeen77 View Post
Quote:
what is your firmware version?
It's 2019.7.55
      06-22-2020, 09:02 PM   #66
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's 2019.7.55
I'm on a slightly older version. 2019.7.38.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0