Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Got the 2023 BMW 330 x-drive over the Audi A4 Quattro (45), here’s why:

03-24-2023, 06:17 AM   #111
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by francton View Post
It’s still misleading. Ultra indicates that it is superior to the regular Quattro, which it isn’t. They should have called it Quattro efficient or something similar
Marketing. It's in their volume sellers, so of course they're going to make it sound better - and 99% of those buyers don't even know or care about the difference. It's like when I got my M340i and some of my non car enthusiast friends said "whoa so it's better than an M3?" Assuming more numbers after the "M3" must mean more.
      03-25-2023, 09:45 PM   #112
AlienInChicago
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i in 3 to 4 mths

So I have a 2021 Q3 for a while as a loaner.

- tiny trunk
- awesome virtual cockpit
- tech is nice
- hard 20” wheels
- fun drive and engine even at I think 228 hp. Plenty fast enough for suburbs and out and about.

So far I’d say I would be happy in either car, Audi or BMW. Both are a privelage to be in. Since I’m ordering BMW, hills to find that better/enjoy even more.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 07:31 AM   #113
DerekTriesG20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Although this topic focuses on BMW and audi, but what about the three pointed star, any thoughts on the new C-Class?
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 04:29 PM   #114
LarryMarcia
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 330 X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekTriesG20 View Post
Although this topic focuses on BMW and audi, but what about the three pointed star, any thoughts on the new C-Class?
The new c class: Overall - the best tech, better than either Audi or BMW, but the dash is not nearly as good as the Audi virtual cockpit - which is by far the best out there - nothing comes close and no one has anything like it.

It's unbelievable that no other manufacturer has copied the audi virtual cockpit yet, but whatever.

Otherwise, the new c class has better steering than the BMW, but not as good as Audi, has a very luxurious cabin which is better than BMW or Audi, personally, don't love the looks of the new c class, and not nearly as much fun to drive as the BMW!!!

The Audi may be fastest and have a much better BO stereo and bigger seats, the MB may have the newest tech out there, but it's boring, the BMW may not have great steering and has the very weak HK stereo, but it is the overall best package !
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2023, 07:55 PM   #115
DerekTriesG20
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMarcia View Post
The new c class: Overall - the best tech, better than either Audi or BMW, but the dash is not nearly as good as the Audi virtual cockpit - which is by far the best out there - nothing comes close and no one has anything like it.

It's unbelievable that no other manufacturer has copied the audi virtual cockpit yet, but whatever.

Otherwise, the new c class has better steering than the BMW, but not as good as Audi, has a very luxurious cabin which is better than BMW or Audi, personally, don't love the looks of the new c class, and not nearly as much fun to drive as the BMW!!!

The Audi may be fastest and have a much better BO stereo and bigger seats, the MB may have the newest tech out there, but it's boring, the BMW may not have great steering and has the very weak HK stereo, but it is the overall best package !
Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the new C-Class, I find it strange but MBUX of the first generation was much more customizable compared to this new C-Class I believe it was powered by generation two of the MBUX system. Not sure why would they remove customizations instead of adding more.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2023, 06:08 PM   #116
LarryMarcia
Private First Class
Rep

Never drove the prior C class, so not familiar with it. My feeling is the the new one is mostly a technological marvel - but otherwise very boring.
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2023, 03:05 PM   #117
dudley@07726
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 MB E400 Cp, 2016 Audi A6

I had a 2106 Audi A6. Great driving car but unfortunately for me, shit reliability.
In under 30k miles, it was on its 3rd water pump and I replaced the electronic parking brake module. Traded it in for a new 23 M340i. I’m done with Volkswagen group.
      07-19-2023, 07:22 PM   #118
LarryMarcia
Private First Class
Rep

3 water pumps in under 30K miles is terrible. My personal experience - BMW and Audi have similar reliability - both very good.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2023, 08:04 PM   #119
CGSNJ59
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330 X DRIVE

Currently deciding with my spouse - for her car - between a new 440 versus a new S5, and. a lot of what is in this thread applies. Anyone know when BMW is set to refresh the 3/4 series and Audi the 4/5 ??
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 10:58 AM   #120
arentz07
drives cars
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 IS 500, '23 X3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGSNJ59 View Post
Currently deciding with my spouse - for her car - between a new 440 versus a new S5, and. a lot of what is in this thread applies. Anyone know when BMW is set to refresh the 3/4 series and Audi the 4/5 ??
The 2024 M440i already has the updated interior layout a la the LCI 3-series. There have been spy shots of an updated exterior for the 4-series, so it will probably be out next year.

I have no idea on Audi.

2023 BMW X3 | Phytonic Blue | Black Vernasca Leather | Dark Wood Trim
2023 Lexus IS 500 F Sport Performance | Infrared | Black NuLuxe
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 01:05 PM   #121
Gladius Nova
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20

Garage List
  [0.00]
Hmmmm...I have the 330i with the HK, and have heard the Audi B&O. HK wins hands down with me. Don't understand folks here saying the HK is "dreadful". To each his own I guess. Now the Mercedes Burmester system sucks IMO.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 01:26 PM   #122
CGSNJ59
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330 X DRIVE

To each his own ,, but I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say the HK is better than Audi’s B&O or BMW’s B&W. My personal feeling, the HK, at least in the 3 series, sounds awful. I’d say BO or BW is a million times better. I’ve never read or heard of anyone removing those systems. But you will see thread after thread from users who have swapped out there 3 series stereo, stock or HK for something superior from bimmertech and other suppliers.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 07:40 PM   #123
LarryMarcia
Private First Class
Rep

A European automobile is a lot more about engine and performance than stereo. I will still say that the BMW Bowers & Wilkins or Audi Bang & Olufson are far, far, far superior to the Harmon "upgrade" in the 3 series.

I personally removed my HK in the 3 series we got, and spend a little over 3K to get a stereo that is a tremendous improvement at a specialty car audio dealer, and it sounds basically as good as the Bang or Bowers that I've heard.
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2023, 10:08 PM   #124
phanamous
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 soon to be

Mind sharing more details of your upgrade?! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryMarcia View Post
A European automobile is a lot more about engine and performance than stereo. I will still say that the BMW Bowers & Wilkins or Audi Bang & Olufson are far, far, far superior to the Harmon "upgrade" in the 3 series.

I personally removed my HK in the 3 series we got, and spend a little over 3K to get a stereo that is a tremendous improvement at a specialty car audio dealer, and it sounds basically as good as the Bang or Bowers that I've heard.
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2023, 07:50 AM   #125
LarryMarcia
Private First Class
Rep

It came down to these 3 options for me:

1). Alpha One from Bimmer Tech. Approx $2500 for everything, speakers, Amp... but some model 3 series that were factory equipped with the HK can make some of the Alpha One components a bit tricky to install. When I originally called Alpha One they said put in my VIN at their website and it would show what components will be compatible with my 3 series. They said anyone that calls them that is building (factory ordering) a car from scratch should not opt for the HK as it adds a bit of difficulty in upgrading with their parts.

2). Morel Supremo - approx $5K. If you have extra funds on hand, then go with that, it's probably one of the best sounding car audios I ever heard, at least from what I listened to in the car audio dealer near me.

3) Focal - cost me around 3K installed. It's made in France. This is what I got, and compared to the Harmon that came with our car, the difference is unbelievable. I've listened to BMW's Bowers and Wilkins in their 5 series, I've listened to Audi's Bang and Olufson, I've listened to Lexus' Levinsion and so many other very good car audio systems, and this is at least as good as those, and maybe even better.

No one likes pulling out a stereo from a new car and seeing your new door panels and dash being removed, but I have -0- regrets. The Harmon that came with the car is utterly and downright weak and poor sounding, and in truth, I should have saved around $900 and just got the vehicle with the standard HiFi. BMW may call the Harmon an upgrade, but to me, it seemed like a waste of money.

The 6 hours my car spent in the shop was definitely worth it. Having a great stereo in your vehicle is something that vastly improves the motoring experience. If BMW offered their Bowers audio, which I think is only about a 1K upgrade in their 5 series, I never would have needed to go after market. I really did not want to spend a lot of money on a new car stereo, but the Harmon was just utterly bad sounding.

Final note, I don't think the stereo replacement will void any warranty coverage, but I really don't care. I was not going to live with a 55K car that had that kind of poor sounding stereo. BMW should change from Harmon to Bowers / Wilkins or Bang / Olufson and give the people a real upgrade for their money.

If you are in the Chicago area, I can give you the shop I went to for my installation.
Appreciate 0