Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Trading my 2023 for 2020 m340

09-13-2023, 10:56 PM   #45
NightOwl-M340i
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i

If ID8 is a big deal and money isnt an issue then go for it. Personally I would flip the car myself and try to get as much money back as possible though. That color combo will definitely make it hot on the market.

I went with a 2022 just bc of ID8. I think the design is ugly as hell and its so stupid that you can’t manage your a/c controls with simple buttons. Also, I hate hows theres no shifter. So glad I have a shifter bc my hand rests on it every time I drive the car.

Now if you can get used to ID8 I would just dump the money into dme unlock, exhaust, etc. you can even do a shifter replacement and put the 2020-2022 shift knob instead of the 2023 tab.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2023, 10:58 PM   #46
EstorilVic
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 23 cars and counting

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwl-M340i View Post
If ID8 is a big deal and money isnt an issue then go for it. Personally I would flip the car myself and try to get as much money back as possible though. That color combo will definitely make it hot on the market.

I went with a 2022 just bc of ID8. I think the design is ugly as hell and its so stupid that you can’t manage your a/c controls with simple buttons. Also, I hate hows theres no shifter. So glad I have a shifter bc my hand rests on it every time I drive the car.

Now if you can get used to ID8 I would just dump the money into dme unlock, exhaust, etc. you can even do a shifter replacement and put the 2020-2022 shift knob instead of the 2023 tab.
Amazing and thank you. I could change the shifter over?
      09-13-2023, 10:59 PM   #47
EstorilVic
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwl-M340i View Post

I would wrap the 2020. Another 4K. Thanks for your kind response btw
      09-14-2023, 04:08 AM   #48
Panscan340
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340

What happens when the car you buy has a 10k repair within the first year ? I personally would not want to own a 340 out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 07:23 AM   #49
JABCAT
Professor
Rep
Drives: '23 M2 & '22 X3 M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by EstorilVic View Post
I purchased it for a great deal. I see them going for 61k on cargurus w same mileage as mine. I could def get at least that much especially for my color combo etc
There are currently 13 '23 M340s on Cargurus, and none are priced at $61k, and those with similar mileage to yours are around $55k. There are 20 brand new , zero mileage examples listed for under $62k, however. Why would someone buy your used vehicle with 15k miles, have to get financing on their own, etc. when they can just walk into a dealer and get a brand new one for the same price, dealer takes care of financing, can buy an extended warranty if they want to, etc.

Have you ever sold a vehicle privately? Very rarely do you get anywhere close to what dealers list their vehicles for online. I've owned over 40 vehicles, that's a lot of buying and selling. I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about. Good luck with your choice.

His: '23 M2, Toronto Red Metallic, M highlight interior, carbon fiber interior trim, shadowline, lighting pkg, auto cruise, live cockpit pro.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 07:38 AM   #50
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

Quote:
I purchased it for a great deal. I see them going for 61k on cargurus w same mileage as mine. I could def get at least that much especially for my color combo etc
You can easily get 4% off a new m340i now, I think your being very optimistic. Overall used car market values are sinking, what they are listed for isn’t what they are selling for.
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2023, 08:55 AM   #51
EstorilVic
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABCAT View Post
There are currently 13 '23 M340s on Cargurus, and none are priced at $61k, and those with similar mileage to yours are around $55k. There are 20 brand new , zero mileage examples listed for under $62k, however. Why would someone buy your used vehicle with 15k miles, have to get financing on their own, etc. when they can just walk into a dealer and get a brand new one for the same price, dealer takes care of financing, can buy an extended warranty if they want to, etc.

Have you ever sold a vehicle privately? Very rarely do you get anywhere close to what dealers list their vehicles for online. I've owned over 40 vehicles, that's a lot of buying and selling. I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm talking about. Good luck with your choice.
Hi. Not a defense mechanism lol but I have owned 23 vehicles and 3 motorcycles myself. Sorry if I overhumble myself and sound lost here. Just wanted some advice. I have seen 7 ‘23 models just today and they are all at least 59,500. M340i x drive. Maybe we are in different areas
      09-14-2023, 08:56 AM   #52
EstorilVic
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panscan340 View Post
What happens when the car you buy has a 10k repair within the first year ? I personally would not want to own a 340 out of warranty.
Well, I plan on getting the CarShield warranty. About 180 a month. I had similar coverage on my 435i xd gran coupe
      09-14-2023, 09:26 AM   #53
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
It’s the idrive 8. I swear I tried to get used to it. Just feels unsafe and tacky. You guys are making me want to keep it a little. But having it for 5 years ahhhhhh

Your car is gorgeous, you don't want to give up Brooklyn over Red (I may be biased here LOL), and others have chimed in on performance corrections you can make to get your existing car to where you want it.

So it boils down to iDrive 8 and, specifically, the Climate Controls.

Like you I HATED it at first, so frustrating. But then some kind poster in this forum told me how to set the damn thing and since then it's been perfect, so please let me share this with you, give it a shot for a few days, see if it changes your mind. It changed mine:

1. Make sure Auto Program is set to on.

2. Set fan speed to Very Low.

3. Set behavior to Dynamic.

Like you, I've owned over a dozen BMW's going back 20+ years, trust me when I tell you this Climate Control system is the best they've ever created because what used to be several steps (spinning the red/blue face wheel + temperature knobs + thrust taps) is now down to just one step (temp +/- tap) if you use these settings.

Unlike past BMW's, this one is very much like the one in your house where you put it on a temperature and it gets it there. Gone are the days where you have to hit MAX AC to cool the car down on a boiling hot day- you can leave it on 68 and the car will put it on full blast after about 5 seconds, continue the blasting until the temperature is achieved, and settle down to a low thrust when it's there.

And if you want more/less? You don't need to hit the fan button at all. Just tap the temperature on the main display + or - and it adjusts the fan speed, you won't feel the difference in temperature. Bottom line is, use these settings, give it a few seconds upon startup to go full blast, and then tap + or - when you want more/less fan thrust and you'll be all set. You never need to go into the actual Climate Control menu, ever.

Trust me on this one. Give it a shot for a few days. The Gods of Brooklyn and Tacora are crying out to you and using me as their vessel.
Appreciate 3
      09-14-2023, 09:31 AM   #54
EstorilVic
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post

Your car is gorgeous, you don't want to give up Brooklyn over Red (I may be biased here LOL), and others have chimed in on performance corrections you can make to get your existing car to where you want it.

So it boils down to iDrive 8 and, specifically, the Climate Controls.

Like you I HATED it at first, so frustrating. But then some kind poster in this forum told me how to set the damn thing and since then it's been perfect, so please let me share this with you, give it a shot for a few days, see if it changes your mind. It changed mine:

1. Make sure Auto Program is set to on.

2. Set fan speed to Very Low.

3. Set behavior to Dynamic.

Like you, I've owned over a dozen BMW's going back 20+ years, trust me when I tell you this Climate Control system is the best they've ever created because what used to be several steps (spinning the red/blue face wheel + temperature knobs + thrust taps) is now down to just one step (temp +/- tap) if you use these settings.

Unlike past BMW's, this one is very much like the one in your house where you put it on a temperature and it gets it there. Gone are the days where you have to hit MAX AC to cool the car down on a boiling hot day- you can leave it on 68 and the car will put it on full blast after about 5 seconds, continue the blasting until the temperature is achieved, and settle down to a low thrust when it's there.

And if you want more/less? You don't need to hit the fan button at all. Just tap the temperature on the main display + or - and it [...]
Damn. Bless you bro for such a personal response lol. Wow. Making me want to keep it in a way. So for lack of shifter, I heard I can put a 20-22 shifter. For lack of power tail gate, I can get the retrofit. Weak headlights- nothing I can do. No video in Motion for id8. Maybe add an iPad mini with 5g to the 2023. I really want the 360 Cam which I can’t retrofit- the ‘20 I want has it. Also for my hifi system maybe I’ll get the bimmer tech amp. What else…yeah shared of red sensatec getting damaged. Tires suck but I have new unmounted 19 inch Michelins. Look I’m trying to talk myself into it lol
      09-14-2023, 09:42 AM   #55
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Damn. Bless you bro for such a personal response lol. Wow. Making me want to keep it in a way. So for lack of shifter, I heard I can put a 20-22 shifter. For lack of power tail gate, I can get the retrofit. Weak headlights- nothing I can do. No video in Motion for id8. Maybe add an iPad mini with 5g to the 2023. I really want the 360 Cam which I can’t retrofit- the ‘20 I want has it. Also for my hifi system maybe I’ll get the bimmer tech amp. What else…yeah shared of red sensatec getting damaged. Tires suck but I have new unmounted 19 inch Michelins. Look I’m trying to talk myself into it lol
Ah, but you see, if you can solve just one of your challenges- iDrive 8- you can have everything you want before Christmas:

Just order a new one from Munich with the exact set of options you want. No black over black (Zzzz) and no 50K mileage inheritance (Ouch) instead a do-over with every option you want (HK, Cams, Power Trunk, etc.) or can retrofit (Stick).

1. Place your order today.

2. Drive around in your Brooklyn Tacora Sexy MF for 1 month with the new Climate Control settings.

3. If 2 is successful, go through with 1. If 2 still doesn't fix your concerns, cancel 1 and go forward with buying a pre-LCI but this time with fewer miles and in a better color combo.
Appreciate 2
      09-14-2023, 09:45 AM   #56
Panscan340
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340

Why do you need to watch videos while driving? Focus on the road. Retrofitting a shifter is a bad move, what is the point. You can shift with the paddles if you want.

Really don’t think the headlights are weak but to each their own.

It sounds like you bought a spec you don’t like, so why didn’t you just buy a diff car originally ? You could have gotten HK and 360 with a diff car.

Idk just a strange situation, you bought a car without features you want and now you’re trying to make another really bad decision and light money on fire to get an older car with no warranty. Dealers will be happy to take your dough
Appreciate 1
TheMaxXHD641.00
      09-14-2023, 09:48 AM   #57
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 G20 LCI M340i xDrive

Quote:
It’s the idrive 8. I swear I tried to get used to it. Just feels unsafe and tacky. You guys are making me want to keep it a little. But having it for 5 years ahhhhhh
Even if one were to agree with your sentiment, how is driving with video on idrive not any more unsafe? That is the very definition of not safe. More unsafe then anything about idrive 8.

It is also illegal entirely in some jurisdictions.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 10:27 AM   #58
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Really? To sell my car privately for more money than I got it for and buy the fully loaded 2020 for 40k? I feel like 54k miles isn’t much for the b58. But yeah money wise this sucks
I am genuinely curious how much you paid for this used car. I think your dealer took you to town on it, and the seller of the 2020 is trying to do it as well to you, and your actively considering it.

With the minimal features your car has, you car is near base MSRP spec for ‘23. If you probably paid almost the same for this 15,000 mile car as you would’ve if you bought brand new off the production line with 0 miles. After taxes, with some discount, you probably could’ve added a few more features to your spec.

The reason for this is M340i’s don’t sit on lots for long and since it was an LCI, they wanted someone to take for a ride that didn’t want to wait for a new allocation but wanted an LCI, which is a few months wait potentially. M340i production has been scaled back since the pandemic. Allocations aren’t too hard to come by, but you won’t likely find an LCI (yet) just sitting on a lot not bought for very long (even used).

Please, research cars before you buy. You won’t get 61k for this spec at this mileage, even a fully spec’d at that mileage probably wouldn’t go for that. My 2,500 mile fully spec’d one (minus tire/cooling package), may go for something around that private sell, but dealership sell, I’d be looking at probably somewhere around 57-58k ish.

Just keep the car under warranty if you want my two cents but you do you.

Last edited by TheMaxXHD; 09-14-2023 at 10:34 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2023, 10:43 AM   #59
EstorilVic
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Ah, but you see, if you can solve just one of your challenges- iDrive 8- you can have everything you want before Christmas:

Just order a new one from Munich with the exact set of options you want. No black over black (Zzzz) and no 50K mileage inheritance (Ouch) instead a do-over with every option you want (HK, Cams, Power Trunk, etc.) or can retrofit (Stick).

2. Drive around in your Brooklyn Tacora Sexy MF for 1 month with the new Climate Control settings.

3. If 2 is successful, go through with 1. If 2 still doesn't fix your concerns, cancel 1 and go forward with buying a pre-LCI but this time with fewer miles and in a better color combo.
Beautiful idea. Thank you very much!!!
      09-14-2023, 10:44 AM   #60
EstorilVic
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panscan340 View Post
Why do you need to watch videos while driving? Focus on the road. Retrofitting a shifter is a bad move, what is the point. You can shift with the paddles if you want.

Really don’t think the headlights are weak but to each their own.

It sounds like you bought a spec you don’t like, so why didn’t you just buy a diff car originally ? You could have gotten HK and 360 with a diff car.

Idk just a strange situation, you bought a car without features you want and now you’re trying to make another really bad decision and light money on fire to get an older car with no warranty. Dealers will be happy to take your dough
Yeah. You are right….
      09-14-2023, 10:45 AM   #61
EstorilVic
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxXHD View Post
Even if one were to agree with your sentiment, how is driving with video on idrive not any more unsafe? That is the very definition of not safe. More unsafe then anything about idrive 8.

It is also illegal entirely in some jurisdictions.
Trust me I felt like a hypocrite while typing that. I just mean for guests I want to have the video in motion option as I did with my past few bmws. The constant touching of the screen is something different (it is)
      09-14-2023, 10:47 AM   #62
EstorilVic
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaxXHD View Post
I am genuinely curious how much you paid for this used car. I think your dealer took you to town on it, and the seller of the 2020 is trying to do it as well to you, and your actively considering it.

With the minimal features your car has, you car is near base MSRP spec for ‘23. If you probably paid almost the same for this 15,000 mile car as you would’ve if you bought brand new off the production line with 0 miles. After taxes, with some discount, you probably could’ve added a few more features to your spec.

The reason for this is M340i’s don’t sit on lots for long and since it was an LCI, they wanted someone to take for a ride that didn’t want to wait for a new allocation but wanted an LCI, which is a few months wait potentially. M340i production has been scaled back since the pandemic. Allocations aren’t too hard to come by, but you won’t likely find an LCI (yet) just sitting on a lot not bought for very long (even used).

Please, research cars before you buy. You won’t get 61k for this spec at this mileage, even a fully spec’d at that mileage probably wouldn’t go for that. My 2,500 mile fully spec’d one (minus tire/cooling package), may go for something around that private sell, but dealership sell, I’d be looking at probably somewhere around 57-58k ish.

Just keep the car under warranty if you want my two cents but you do you.
I paid 57,499. Car had 14,036 miles. Kbb was 59,638. At bmw dealer they are selling 2021/2022 models with 30-40k for 50k
      09-14-2023, 11:09 AM   #63
TheMaxXHD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I paid 57,499. Car had 14,036 miles. Kbb was 59,638. At bmw dealer they are selling 2021/2022 models with 30-40k for 50k
KBB was/is artificially high because of the lack of ‘23 sales on the used market so far, and the overall used market still. That was an early ‘23 spec too most likely before the Jan 23 MSRP increase. So likely, the dealership sold it to you for basically sticker at 0 miles (if not, extremely close to it). You sir, got taken for a ride.

I wouldn’t have paid anything over 55k (and maybe not even that) for that spec. Would’ve told them to either go pound sand and/or hook me up with a good deal on a new production model allocation with more features (even if it cost a few thousand more).

Right now, buying new is still kinda king unless you can’t afford new or cannot wait for new. It’s slowly changing back towards used being a better buy, but it’s slow, and it’s not consistent across the used market or across manufacturers or even models.

I would recommend enjoying the car you have, it still is a nice car, even with your spec. If you absolutely cannot live without many of the features you don’t have, there are different things between used and buying new, but I think your main issues are fixable ones, not things like not having DAPP which are unfixable, but like the exhaust (get aftermarket), or learning to deal with idrive 8, audio retrofits, etc…
Appreciate 1
      09-14-2023, 12:35 PM   #64
EstorilVic
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...4/NONE/DEFAULT
Better than black on black with fewer miles and same options I think. But $7649 more and still out of warranty.
      09-14-2023, 12:37 PM   #65
EstorilVic
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

Sorry, it has a cpo 1 year warranty. But if I’m making it stage 2 don’t think it matters lol
      09-14-2023, 12:58 PM   #66
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Is iDrive 8 really that bad? I’ve played around with it, and I like it. I also realized that most of its shortcomings can be overcome by using “Hey BMW”.
Appreciate 0