Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions What is that noise? Identifying rattling noises

01-12-2020, 04:54 PM   #221
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simsimma7 View Post
Same here...~6000 miles in.
it’s coming from the center speaker during hard acceleration or during phone conversations. It stops when I press down on it during squeaking. I’m planning to ask the dealer to take a look as it is very annoying and shouldn’t happen in a 64K car.
If anyone has any solutions I’m glad to try them.
This fixes it for good, I can vouch for this personally:

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1652142
Appreciate 1
      01-15-2020, 05:39 PM   #222
mewtyj
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcampos1000 View Post
I’m having a lot o noise coming from the dash/door at driver’s side when I drive on a not perfect road. Does anyone know what could be?
Mine too especially on bumpy road. It is also from driver/front side.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2020, 05:43 PM   #223
mewtyj
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bthuss View Post
so i have what i thought was center speaker rattle and just had the speaker replaced and it did nothing. the thing is, the more i read, my symptoms are not tied to speed or even using the stereo at all. if i turn off the radio the rattle seems to be coming from down under the dash somewhere and any uneven road surfaces make it extremely loud. its like there are rocks rolling around in some little plastic crevice somewhere.

another thing that never worked on my car is the scroll wheel for the radio (on steering wheel). it intermittently stops scrolling through selections even while im moving the wheel. oddly enough, it also stopped working 100% of the time when i push it in to "select" an option....but ONLY on SAT radio. on FM, AM CARPLAY, etc the push function works 100% of the time. its bizarre almost like its a software issue.

my car was a 4/2019 build date. with the late july software version (cant remember the number).

the one thing that works perfectly is apple carplay which was the thing that i thought might be an issue LOL.
Have the same rattle problem. Went to dealer twice and it always came back just one day after dealer had claimed they fix it.
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2020, 02:00 PM   #224
tturbolife
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaid View Post
Yep I had this problem, it's caused by the rubber insulation piece at the bottom of the rear glass, which is touching the trunk. You can ask the dealer and they should adjust it but it may not work as it didn't for me. I was able to get rid of it by waxing the rubber insulation piece and the inside top of the trunk. As long as you wax it when you wash, or every month or two the sound will not come back. I know it sounds annoying but it's the only thing that worked for me so far
It seems like it goes away when I adjust my sunroof... I'm wondering if that is the real problem.
      01-17-2020, 02:26 PM   #225
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturbolife View Post
It seems like it goes away when I adjust my sunroof... I'm wondering if that is the real problem.
Then your issue is with the sunroof, the trunk rattle is a separate issue. Lots of known rattles with this car unfortunately
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 01:10 PM   #226
gianluca
Registered
Italy
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d g20

Noise from the frame of the display

Hi guys, I'm Gianluca and I'm Italian. I own a 320d and this is my third BMW. The car is wonderful but can hear a lot of noise from the console. Particularly I can hear noise from the frame of the main display but when I push with the finger in the corner, the noise stop; you can check it from the link of video. Is there someone else who have the same problem? It's really annoying even because the car is very silent. Anyway In the next days I'll bring the car to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 01:22 PM   #227
KrisJ
Rep
Drives: 330e G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturbolife View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaid View Post
Yep I had this problem, it's caused by the rubber insulation piece at the bottom of the rear glass, which is touching the trunk. You can ask the dealer and they should adjust it but it may not work as it didn't for me. I was able to get rid of it by waxing the rubber insulation piece and the inside top of the trunk. As long as you wax it when you wash, or every month or two the sound will not come back. I know it sounds annoying but it's the only thing that worked for me so far
There is an issue with the sunroof: when you open your it completely, you will see that the plastic components that line the hole and that e.g. Divert any incoming water have slight gaps between them.

On cold days, that plastic gets a bit less flexible, producing squeaks. I fixed it by shoving a tiny bit of felt in each of the gaps. Problem gone...
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 06:12 PM   #228
mewtyj
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianluca View Post
Hi guys, I'm Gianluca and I'm Italian. I own a 320d and this is my third BMW. The car is wonderful but can hear a lot of noise from the console. Particularly I can hear noise from the frame of the main display but when I push with the finger in the corner, the noise stop; you can check it from the link of video. Is there someone else who have the same problem? It's really annoying even because the car is very silent. Anyway In the next days I'll bring the car to the dealer
Have same rattle noise. Can you also show where exactly u pushed ur finger to make the noise stop?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 09:08 PM   #229
Pacman123
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3 , BMW M340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisJ View Post
There is an issue with the sunroof: when you open your it completely, you will see that the plastic components that line the hole and that e.g. Divert any incoming water have slight gaps between them.

On cold days, that plastic gets a bit less flexible, producing squeaks. I fixed it by shoving a tiny bit of felt in each of the gaps. Problem gone...
Could you take a picture of the area where you put the felt?
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2020, 03:09 AM   #230
gianluca
Registered
Italy
Rep
Drives: Bmw 320d g20

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewtyj View Post
Have same rattle noise. Can you also show where exactly u pushed ur finger to make the noise stop?
Sorry for the late of my answer. As you can see, it's the corner on the right. When I push there, the noise disappears
https://www.amazon.it/photos/share/b...ipqKTgARn9ATvX
      01-30-2020, 02:13 PM   #231
giorgoXXI
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianluca View Post
Sorry for the late of my answer. As you can see, it's the corner on the right. When I push there, the noise disappears
https://www.amazon.it/photos/share/b...ipqKTgARn9ATvX
I had a similar rattle, the fix was easy. Just wedged a few small pieces of felt tape between the plastic covering the screen and the enclosure. You can't see them if you push them in.

It seems the plastic was a bit loose in my car.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2020, 02:56 PM   #232
M340Mike
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340, 2018 X3 Ultimate

Problem fixed

Still seeing people with the centre speaker cover problem. I absolutely hated it both when listening to music and accelerating. I emailed the link to the fix posted in this thread (thanks whoever that was!!) to my service rep. Then I took the car to the dealership. Whether they used the fix from the link or a standard BMW fix (the problem is well known) it was perfect after that and still does not rattle weeks later.

Take it to BMW folks! They'll fix it.

However they still haven't fixed the problem of my car randomly starting itself like a sentient beast on occasion! No one else seems to have the problem though... so no known cure.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 05:31 AM   #233
yhornik
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330e g20 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baref33t View Post
Mine started creaking and rattling from the rear, just one week after buying. Worsening day by day. Noise seemed to be coming from the heat shields plates which partitions the muffler/exhaust from the base of the trunk. 2 of the 3 heat shields were creaking with applying light pressure. After readjusting the position and tension of the plates, the noise have improved but still noticeable when going over bumps and on gravel roads.
Didn't expect a new Bimmer to sound like my old school bus.
Guys, I have the same noise on G20 330e. It sounds like someone in the trunk is playing with a parker pen. Happens all the time and more over bumps and potholes. Drivers me nuts.
Is it the same noise you hear?

The car spent 2 weeks at the bmw service center and is going back next week. They have no idea what it is...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 07:25 AM   #234
Ironbrew
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M Sport G20

Hi
I have a late Oct 19, 330e and have been plagued with a clicking sound that intermittently sounds from the boot area. Just like the last post, it sounds like someone clicking a ballpoint pen in & out
Was in dealer for repair over 3 weeks in Dec 19 and they said it was spot weld on rear parcel shelf so added new weld, went through paint shop and had new back screen fitted - when they road tested it, sound was still there although quieter, in a new place and more frequent. They kept working on it and later tried the shock absorbers by swapping them over left to right - the sound swapped sides so a new one was fitted. The car tested OK so i collected it.
It drove OK for about 200 miles but then came back....
Went back to the dealers and they had it for 5 days - they used an endoscope to provide BMW with images of inaccessible areas around the shock absorber mounts then later injected wax into the area.
I got car back and sound returned again - exactly same sound but now on opposite side of car.
Drove to dealer on spec and tech guy drove around with me. He acknowledged the sound and re-seated the shock absorber support bearing plate to see if it changes the sound until i return on a booked appointment
Car going in again on 6th Feb

The dealership are being great however im loosing faith that the issue will be resolved

Has anyone gone through this and had it cleared?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2020, 08:13 AM   #235
yhornik
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330e g20 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbrew View Post
Hi
I have a late Oct 19, 330e and have been plagued with a clicking sound that intermittently sounds from the boot area. Just like the last post, it sounds like someone clicking a ballpoint pen in & out
Was in dealer for repair over 3 weeks in Dec 19 and they said it was spot weld on rear parcel shelf so added new weld, went through paint shop and had new back screen fitted - when they road tested it, sound was still there although quieter, in a new place and more frequent. They kept working on it and later tried the shock absorbers by swapping them over left to right - the sound swapped sides so a new one was fitted. The car tested OK so i collected it.
It drove OK for about 200 miles but then came back....
Went back to the dealers and they had it for 5 days - they used an endoscope to provide BMW with images of inaccessible areas around the shock absorber mounts then later injected wax into the area.
I got car back and sound returned again - exactly same sound but now on opposite side of car.
Drove to dealer on spec and tech guy drove around with me. He acknowledged the sound and re-seated the shock absorber support bearing plate to see if it changes the sound until i return on a booked appointment
Car going in again on 6th Feb

The dealership are being great however im loosing faith that the issue will be resolved

Has anyone gone through this and had it cleared?
This sounds bad man.
I thought this is fixable but what you're describing is not encouraging. What a nightmare. This is my first bmw and it is absolutely not what I expected
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2020, 05:23 PM   #236
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i x drive

What if it’s your trunk arms that open and close the trunk they rattle bad
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 08:39 AM   #237
Chappati21
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i (G20) M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremycanada View Post
Dropped my M340i to the dealership on January 2nd, and got a G20 330i as a loaner car. This loaner only has 1700km on it and it's super quiet inside, no sunroof rattles no Center console cracking.

Just so wired that M340i and 330i has the same interiors, but one is a crack box one is dead quiet. I'm thinking maybe my 340 is the first production car( April), and the 330i built in September???
Hey jeremycanada any news from the dealership ? I think I have the same issue.

I can hear a creaking sound coming from my sunroof when it's closed. When I open the sunroof completely the sound seems to go away.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 12:23 PM   #238
jeremycanada
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BWM M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappati21 View Post
Quote:
Dropped my M340i to the dealership on January 2nd, and got a G20 330i as a loaner car. This loaner only has 1700km on it and it's super quiet inside, no sunroof rattles no Center console cracking.

Just so wired that M340i and 330i has the same interiors, but one is a crack box one is dead quiet. I'm thinking maybe my 340 is the first production car( April), and the 330i built in September???

I can hear a creaking sound coming from my sunroof when it's closed. When I open the sunroof completely the sound seems to go away.
Hi, they fixed it by cutting open the rubber and stuffed something in there( show in the picture) and the ordered a new rubber seal to replace the one on my car. Now the sunroof is dead quiet.
2018 Audi S5-
2020 Bmw M340i
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 12:26 PM   #239
jeremycanada
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BWM M340i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappati21 View Post
Quote:

Hi, they fixed it by cutting open the rubber and stuffed something in there( show in the picture) and the ordered a new rubber seal to replace the one on my car. Now the sunroof is dead quiet.
Forgot the picture
Attached Images

2018 Audi S5-
2020 Bmw M340i
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2020, 12:56 PM   #240
Chappati21
France
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i (G20) M Sport

Thanks chief !
I need to get mine to the dealership on Thursday we'll see.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 09:17 AM   #241
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antec800 View Post
Ok so I finally had time to remove the rear deck parcel, and finally get rid of the plastic piece alone the back window, now all rattles from the back of the car are gone. https://ibb.co/sP33STS
https://ibb.co/rMV2Gw1
Could you describe what you did a bit more? How did you remove the parcel shelf? What plastic piece do you mean?
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2020, 10:44 AM   #242
Antec800
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 340i x drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
Could you describe what you did a bit more? How did you remove the parcel shelf? What plastic piece do you mean?
The plastic vent against the rear window. There’s a bunch of things needed to be taken off to get the rear deck out but once it’s out once it’s easy to do it again.
Appreciate 0