Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Make CarPlay automatically start music

01-19-2020, 02:05 PM   #1
bmw_lover1
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Make CarPlay automatically start music

Hello, hoping someone can shed some light on this and how to resolve it.

I have CarPlay in my 2020 G20 330i and I have this weird issue where CarPlay will automatically continue music playback when I get back into the car, but only if the music was being played through the Music app on my iPhone. If I were to have had Spotify open at the time when I leave the car, then upon re-entering, it will never automatically continue music playback. Instead, I have to go back into the Spotify app through CarPlay, then Now Playing, then press the play button.

Has anyone been able to get CarPlay to automatically continue music playback with Spotify?
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 02:51 PM   #2
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

I wish CarPlay would not autoplay anything. It's so annoying that my play list starts up without me clicking on anything (I know this is an Apple thing not a BMW thing).
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 03:37 PM   #3
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW U11 iX1 Xdrive 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_lover1 View Post
Hello, hoping someone can shed some light on this and how to resolve it.

I have CarPlay in my 2020 G20 330i and I have this weird issue where CarPlay will automatically continue music playback when I get back into the car, but only if the music was being played through the Music app on my iPhone. If I were to have had Spotify open at the time when I leave the car, then upon re-entering, it will never automatically continue music playback. Instead, I have to go back into the Spotify app through CarPlay, then Now Playing, then press the play button.

Has anyone been able to get CarPlay to automatically continue music playback with Spotify?
I deleted the native apple music app off my phone. If spotify is opened and already in standby (recently used), then 80% of the time it will start playing automatically, otherwise I'll have to go into the app and start a playlist. This is playback through Apple CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2020, 11:01 PM   #4
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I'm waiting for an antitrust lawsuit against Apple for this behavior. In the meantime I caved and I just pay for Apple Music over Spotify. Apple needs to allow 3rd party music and navigation software to link through properly in CarPlay by opening up their APIs. At least allow some type of certification program.
Appreciate 0