Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes coilovers with adaptive suspension

05-17-2023, 10:04 AM   #1
Jnasratyar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M340i

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.83]
coilovers with adaptive suspension

I tried searching through the forums a little and couldn’t get an answer, but a little while ago I installed Dinan lower springs as well as the handling kit on my ‘23 M340i. By no means is it bad, it’s just not as low as I’d like it to be so I’ve been thinking of getting a nice set of coilovers, however I have adaptive suspension. I’ve heard people say that since it replaces the actual strut itself it could be a problem, but does anyone know whether or not I’ll be able to use coilovers with adaptive suspension or am I just gonna have to to with h&r springs?
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 10:43 AM   #2
Matic94
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M440i G26

You can, but you will require an EDC Cancellation kit to eliminate the persistent trouble and fault codes/lights.
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2023, 10:47 AM   #3
Jnasratyar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic94 View Post
You can, but you will require an EDC Cancellation kit to eliminate the persistent trouble and fault codes/lights.
I see, think I’ll just go with buying a set of h&r springs to simplify things.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 11:21 AM   #4
rostrata
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '20 M340iX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jnasratyar View Post
I see, think I’ll just go with buying a set of h&r springs to simplify things.
That statement was wrong. In the past, EDC equipped vehicles weren't supported. But they have been for awhile now.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bilstein...49-305135~bil/

There ya go. If it fits your vehicle, you have the option.
Appreciate 1
      05-17-2023, 11:30 AM   #5
Jnasratyar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rostrata View Post
That statement was wrong. In the past, EDC equipped vehicles weren't supported. But they have been for awhile now.

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-bilstein...49-305135~bil/

There ya go. If it fits your vehicle, you have the option.
Thank you! Website is saying it’s not compatible, which I’m guessing is because my car isn’t xdrive, but I’ll look into it. Appreciate you grabbing me that link.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 05:40 PM   #6
flyknit
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

me too.am considering between h&r or kw ddc as i want to keep the adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 05:46 PM   #7
Jnasratyar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyknit View Post
me too.am considering between h&r or kw ddc as i want to keep the adaptive suspension.
Yeah I’m leaning towards the springs due to the cost difference with coilovers, but I’m also reconsidering the decision to re lower as a whole. It’s literally gonna be like maybe half an inch lower than my Dinan springs that I have in rn, but it’s so tempting cause I saw this post of a m340i on h&r springs and it’s literally the perfect fitment imo.
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1757313
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2023, 04:45 PM   #8
phanamous
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M3 soon to be

Hey OP, how's the ride with Dinan springs with adaptive suspension?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2023, 12:00 PM   #9
Jnasratyar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.83]
Quote:
Originally Posted by phanamous View Post
Hey OP, how's the ride with Dinan springs with adaptive suspension?
Very close to stock. I’m not a very picky person when it comes to ride quality, but I can’t tell very much of a difference from stock. I just took another member on a ride to help him decide on coils or springs and he was saying he was leaning more towards the springs. The drop is very conservative though, so if your looking for a larger drop you could go with H&R but I’ve heard those ride awful.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2023, 01:51 PM   #10
phanamous
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks. I'm just looking for a very minor drop.

Trying to figure out if I should order a M340i with Adaptive suspension with a spring replacement after, be it Dinan or H&R. The other option is order the stock suspension and replace it with a set of adaptive coilovers.

If you can reorder your car again, which would you consider?

Quote:
Very close to stock. I’m not a very picky person when it comes to ride quality, but I can’t tell very much of a difference from stock. I just took another member on a ride to help him decide on coils or springs and he was saying he was leaning more towards the springs. The drop is very conservative though, so if your looking for a larger drop you could go with H&R but I’ve heard those ride awful.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2023, 02:03 PM   #11
Jnasratyar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.83]
Quote:
Thanks. I'm just looking for a very minor drop.

Trying to figure out if I should order a M340i with Adaptive suspension with a spring replacement after, be it Dinan or H&R. The other option is order the stock suspension and replace it with a set of adaptive coilovers.

If you can reorder your car again, which would you consider?
I’m not sure adaptive coil overs exist, unless you are just referring to them as adaptive meaning you can adjust the height. I have adaptive suspension and it does improve ride quality quite a bit over non edc. I recently took another member of this forum on a ride in my car so he could feel the Dinan springs and decide if he wanted that or coils and after I rode in his and could tell the spots where my edc was kicking in. Spring wise though, if you care about ride quality definitely don’t go h&r. They give the car a perfect drop, but literally everyone who I’ve talked to about them says they ride like absolute shit. Dinan on the other hand has a very conservative drop that improves looks while maintaining ride quality. Dinan springs and bump stops plus my adaptive suspension to me is perfect, I have a little drop and my suspension still feels basically stock. yoon_209 was the one I took on a ride if you wanna ask him how it felt as well.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2023, 07:09 PM   #12
phanamous
Enlisted Member
Rep

Not 100% sure but kit like this allows for dampening adjustment also. But it requires your car be equipped with electronic damping control however so I'll go your route I think.

https://www.kwsuspensions.com/produc...-39020047.html

Quote:
I’m not sure adaptive coil overs exist, unless you are just referring to them as adaptive meaning you can adjust the height. I have adaptive suspension and it does improve ride quality quite a bit over non edc. I recently took another member of this forum on a ride in my car so he could feel the Dinan springs and decide if he wanted that or coils and after I rode in his and could tell the spots where my edc was kicking in. Spring wise though, if you care about ride quality definitely don’t go h&r. They give the car a perfect drop, but literally everyone who I’ve talked to about them says they ride like absolute shit. Dinan on the other hand has a very conservative drop that improves looks while maintaining ride quality. Dinan springs and bump stops plus my adaptive suspension to me is perfect, I have a little drop and my suspension still feels basically stock. yoon_209 was the one I took on a ride if you wanna ask him how it felt as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 07:13 PM   #13
Jnasratyar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.83]
Quote:
Not 100% sure but kit like this allows for dampening adjustment also. But it requires your car be equipped with electronic damping control however so I'll go your route I think.

https://www.kwsuspensions.com/produc...-39020047.html
So yeah, the coils allow dampening adjustment, but that’s manual, it doesn’t retain the factory edc. When you get KW coils, you have two options, a kit for a car with edc, or a kit for a car without. Only difference is that the kit for a car with edc comes with an edc delete kit. That mean it comes with little plugs that plug into the sensors on the strut in order to disable the factory edc to stop the car from throwing unnecessary codes.

To sum up everything I just said, to my knowledge, there is no such thing as a coilover that will retain your factory edc.
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2023, 06:12 AM   #14
flyknit
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

Quote:
So yeah, the coils allow dampening adjustment, but that’s manual, it doesn’t retain the factory edc. When you get KW coils, you have two options, a kit for a car with edc, or a kit for a car without. Only difference is that the kit for a car with edc comes with an edc delete kit. That mean it comes with little plugs that plug into the sensors on the strut in order to disable the factory edc to stop the car from throwing unnecessary codes.

To sum up everything I just said, to my knowledge, there is no such thing as a coilover that will retain your factory edc.
I’m using kw ddc. It retain the adaptive mode
Appreciate 1
      07-17-2023, 03:02 PM   #15
Jnasratyar
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.83]
Quote:
I don’t see an option for my car for those, but regardless 4k+ is way outta my range for coils 😂.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2023, 01:06 PM   #16
zzdanny
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Can you post a pic, would love to see the amount of drop
also how is the ride quality?
Appreciate 0