Technical Topics DIYs and Coding Discussions Battery chargers for coding

07-03-2021, 05:16 AM   #23
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
larrylam646 I'm able to get it to the bulk charging phase. But I can't seem to understand why the Temp lamp is lit. The manual says it "has a sensor cable placed together with the battery cables" as part of the the temperature compensation. It goes further to say "therefore always place the sensor as close to the battery as possible when charging." What exactly does this mean? I can't seem to figure out how to get my battery charging without this Temp indicator lit.
The "full" voltage is a function of temperature. In cold weather the charger will charge to a higher battery voltage and I believe that measuring the ambient temperature (instead of the battery pole) is better than not at all.
(My CTEK charger has an internal temperature sensor for this function.) Only problem I can think of is if the battery temperature is significantly different than the air temperature. E.g. moving a cold car in the winter to a warm garage to charge, but after several hours of charging the temperature should have had time for equalization ...)
Appreciate 1
      07-03-2021, 11:06 AM   #24
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

I'll try again. I started charging few hours after driving the car when the engine had cooled. I'll try to charge at night when it's much cooler to see if that makes a difference. On the plus side, the "Supply" mode worked during this time without any error except for the Temp LED.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 03:36 PM   #25
G22b58
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G22

The Temp LED is (to my understanding) not an error light.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2021, 06:40 PM   #26
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by G22b58 View Post
The Temp LED is (to my understanding) not an error light.
Yes but it probably charges at a lower voltage
Appreciate 0