Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK M3 Touring is soon would you swap an M340i touring for one?

06-21-2021, 03:40 AM   #23
Axeman15
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport

I would love to be in the position to decide between the M340iT and M3T.

If money was no object then I would go M3T between the two. As it a dream car, why dream about 2nd best IMHO.

Good luck to all you guys and gals who are in the fortunate position to be able to own one of these great cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 06:13 AM   #24
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

I wouldnt. I had an M5 and realised that M cars are a bit more hard core than me, and 600hp for the road was a bit pointless. I would have an Alpina B3 above any other option but the prices are horrendous, no discounts to call anything and residuals that arent the best.

So I got an RS4 Avant. 450ps, just about goes under the radar for most people. Drives well, rides acceptably. And I love the interior. Not really any faster than an M340iT and definitely less economical but I like it.

So as much as I have always wanted an M3, but need a Touring, its highly unlikely I will be buying one. Besides, wasted enough money on cars and my acceptable line is moving down!
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2021, 11:37 AM   #25
xenon
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 2021 G21 330i M-Sport

Your RS4 looks fantastic too. Under the radar unless you’re in the know.
Appreciate 1
isleaiw18759.00
      06-21-2021, 11:40 AM   #26
isleaiw1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: iPace / Mini

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenon View Post
Your RS4 looks fantastic too. Under the radar unless you’re in the know.
Thanks - I have to say that I really like it. Probably more than I expected to be honest.....It will go well if required but it can do the standard dull stuff really well too, whereas the M5 always felt like it was fighting when on a leash....
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 03:59 AM   #27
sharepointalex
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E91 330i Touring

I would love to go for an M3 touring when they come out. I read that it will likely be early 2023 before it's available to the UK market.

Not sure if I'll be in a position financially to justify it mind! The M340i is epic though and potentially all the car you could ever need, on our roads at least.

There is just something about a full M car though, I've never owned one. I figure now is my chance to get a final ICE car before the inevitable ��

Was thinking maybe I could then hold onto it past 2030 but who knows what the tax etc. will be like then. I'd like to have an ICE so I can at least show the kids when they get older. But I do have a motorbike so that's safe for a good while.

I echo the above though that the M340i fits nicely under the radar and only those that know what they are looking for know what it is.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2021, 05:47 AM   #28
MD707
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GTS

I have a deposit down so I am in the queue. But plenty of time to change my mind, which I think I will do - I am not sure it's worth the extra, the M340 is so quick in daily use as it is.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2021, 05:00 PM   #29
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

I'd much rather have the M3T than the M340, but as someone said, all depends on the cost difference. What would also come in to the decision is what else you have to drive. If it's a one car for daily use and also driving thrills, then M3T. If you run something else for weekend fun, and it's just a daily use car then 340 is clearly a very fine car for that.
With the new M3 they seem to have got a bit more comfort and refinement in, which is probably my the weakness of the previous generation one.
The running costs won't be anything like double either. My current M4 has done 22mpg over course of its lifetime, compared to 28mpg for my 340. I double the new cars will massively different.
The power increase probably won't make that much difference most of the time, just quicker overtakes, and acceleration that only makes a difference on the autobahn.
However, the big difference is that I doubt I'd go for a drive just for the sake of it in a non M BMW, whereas an M car handles in a different league. So goes back to horses for courses.

I expect I will get one once the prices have got more reasonable.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2021, 06:11 AM   #30
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
I'd much rather have the M3T than the M340, but as someone said, all depends on the cost difference. What would also come in to the decision is what else you have to drive. If it's a one car for daily use and also driving thrills, then M3T. If you run something else for weekend fun, and it's just a daily use car then 340 is clearly a very fine car for that.
With the new M3 they seem to have got a bit more comfort and refinement in, which is probably my the weakness of the previous generation one.
The running costs won't be anything like double either. My current M4 has done 22mpg over course of its lifetime, compared to 28mpg for my 340. I double the new cars will massively different.
The power increase probably won't make that much difference most of the time, just quicker overtakes, and acceleration that only makes a difference on the autobahn.
However, the big difference is that I doubt I'd go for a drive just for the sake of it in a non M BMW, whereas an M car handles in a different league. So goes back to horses for courses.

I expect I will get one once the prices have got more reasonable.
I agree with much of that but the one thing I'd question is just how much driving thrills an estate car pushing 2 tonnes is likely to provide? IMO a lot of fun and engagement comes from agility which to me implies smaller dimensions and less weight. So, while the M3T will certainly be quicker in a straight line than a G21 M340i, could I see myself getting up early on a morning just to have a blast in one across the North Yorkshire Moors? Not sure I could, for me something like a Lotus Elise would be a better tool for that even though it would be slower!

But yes, if you've only got garaging for one car and can afford the M3T it's probably a better bet for a keen driver than the M340i. Not sure it would be any better at the daily stuff - and arguably worse - but on those occasions you're able to give it the beans on a quiet road I'm sure it will be a more rewarding drive. Whether that makes the extra cost worthwhile will depend entirely on the individual and how they use their car!
Appreciate 0