Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General BMW News and Cars Discussion BMW US Reports 2.9 percent Sales Increase For March 2019

04-03-2019, 06:33 PM   #23
InsideMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M TOWN. View Post
If MINI had 1 or 2 100% Electric Cars, they'd absolutely have much higher numbers.
MINI BEV is on the way
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 06:56 PM   #24
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideMan View Post
MINI BEV is on the way
That's what they keep saying.

I might be driving one if they had their shit together.
      04-03-2019, 08:36 PM   #25
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
Is there any info for M cars? Or is the M3 included with the 3 series and so on?
Grouped into its series. BMW doesn't break out M sales in their monthly reports.
Appreciate 1
      04-04-2019, 11:40 AM   #26
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaedus View Post
Huh, if anything, I think SUV is what's keeping the company together now and in the foreseeable future.

This is not some "fad" that'll go away, SUV and CUV are here to stay.
Nothing is ever here to stay in the automotive industry or GM would still be the largest manufacturer in the world today by a considerable margin. The pickup truck, SUV/CUV trend is being buoyed by the low price of gasoline in North America. We know this will not last forever and when it starts costing people $$$ to fill up their thirsty SUV's we will see the trend back to smaller more fuel efficient vehicles. It's not a matter of "if" but "when".
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 01:23 PM   #27
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
Nothing is ever here to stay in the automotive industry or GM would still be the largest manufacturer in the world today by a considerable margin. The pickup truck, SUV/CUV trend is being buoyed by the low price of gasoline in North America. We know this will not last forever and when it starts costing people $$$ to fill up their thirsty SUV's we will see the trend back to smaller more fuel efficient vehicles. It's not a matter of "if" but "when".
True. When that time comes my 2018 530e will shine even more brightly. While my principal concerns are the environment and the right to ride in the car pool lane at any time, I do mostly local driving and I have a garage with a charger so I can recharge during the day.

On my last gasoline fill I did 975 miles on just over 3/4 of a tank of gasoline (roughly 9.7 gallons).
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 01:39 PM   #28
heavyD^2
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3M Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
True. When that time comes my 2018 530e will shine even more brightly. While my principal concerns are the environment and the right to ride in the car pool lane at any time, I do mostly local driving and I have a garage with a charger so I can recharge during the day.

On my last gasoline fill I did 975 miles on just over 3/4 of a tank of gasoline (roughly 9.7 gallons).
My principal concern is me. I'm going to be on this planet for a short amount of time and I'm going to enjoy myself as much as I can, while I can. I enjoy driving so as long as governments keep permitting loopholes for people to use massive full size pickup trucks as commuter transportation I'm not going to take any of their environmental stances and concerns seriously. My M2 is borderline economical compared to a lot of the pickup trucks and SUV's that populate the roads so relative to most vehicles on the road I feel I'm doing my part.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 11:00 AM   #29
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Model 3 LR

Quote:

not to rain on your parade but i think we'll be seeing the end of hybrids very soon, i'd give it another 5 years before manufactures drop hybrids completely from their line up and pivot to BEVs.

IMO hybrids are a transitional product inherently, they are a product full of compromises and are only meaningful to exist up till now because battery tech was expensive and prohibitive. I think it's quite clear now that's not the case anymore, so i'm thinking they'll be phased out very soon.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 11:06 AM   #30
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyD^2 View Post
We know this will not last forever and when it starts costing people $$$ to fill up their thirsty SUV's we will see the trend back to smaller more fuel efficient vehicles.
how much more efficient is a 3 Series compared to a X3 these days? in city driving? if gas prices shoot up dramatically, won't people just go to BEVs? why bother filling up at all?
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 11:11 AM   #31
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

Quote:
not to rain on your parade but i think we'll be seeing the end of hybrids very soon, i'd give it another 5 years before manufactures drop hybrids completely from their line up and pivot to BEVs.

IMO hybrids are a transitional product inherently, they are a product full of compromises and are only meaningful to exist up till now because battery tech was expensive and prohibitive. I think it's quite clear now that's not the case anymore, so i'm thinking they'll be phased out very soon.
I agree but only when they have figured out the recharge process. And BEVs may be an interim step toward fuel cell EVs (FCEVs), which use "refillable batteries" in a sense.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 11:16 AM   #32
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I agree but only when they have figured out the recharge process. And BEVs may be an interim step toward fuel cell EVs (FCEVs), which use "refillable batteries" in a sense.
agreed, charging from 15% to 80% in less than 15min is a must if BEVs are ever going to go full mainstream. on the other hand, i have no clue what the supercharging V3 is going to do to my Model 3's longevity....

don't agree with the hydrogen cells thing. i think we'll see L5 autonomous cars before we see hydrogen ones.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2019, 12:59 PM   #33
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
how much more efficient is a 3 Series compared to a X3 these days? in city driving? if gas prices shoot up dramatically, won't people just go to BEVs? why bother filling up at all?
Higher fuel prices could accelerate EV adoption, but probably not by much. An EV is still appreciably more expensive than an equivalent ICE vehicle, and there is still no truly "budget EV" category - they all cost $30k and up. Furthermore, range anxiety is a powerful de-motivator, and it's not a wholly invalid concern.

Instead, in the event of a significant gas price hike, I would expect people to move to smaller, more efficient SUVs such as the X1 and X2 in BMW's case, including the X1 28e coming soon.

Quote:

As I mention above, range anxiety is still very real. PHEVs address that concern.

If gas prices were to go up, PHEV sales, especially PHEV SUVs, would likely increase. BMW's current strategy is to have accommodations for ICE, PHEV and EV drivetrain in every new vehicle they introduce. This allows them to be prepared for whatever is ahead in the next decade.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2019, 09:43 AM   #34
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLABRO View Post
Interesting. This is the first time I've looked at BMW sales.

Is there any info for M cars? Or is the M3 included with the 3 series and so on?
BMW has in the past been tight lipped about the production volume of M cars.

However, with Mercedes announcing how many AMG cars it's putting out, BMW did recently announce a push to sell 100,000 M branded cars.

Typically in the past, as a round figure, approximately 5% of the main series is M production.
Appreciate 0