Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos 2005 Bentley Continental GT

02-12-2017, 06:45 PM   #23
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloomRunsDubs View Post
Didn't know "hate" was the new slang term lol and where did I use the word "hater"?

Also im wondering what makes you thing a 05 Bentley is automatically beat up? There is plenty great condition cars available for under 45k

You sound like a 18 year old Subaru WRX driver
Perhaps because it's a dated 12 year old car that was at the cusp of being trendy and current more than a decade ago. These cars are like cell phones. We're not talking a 993 or R32 , E46, RS6 etc where vintage is better. This a dated boat where the crispness was worn off years ago. It's for posers.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 08:44 PM   #24
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
Perhaps because it's a dated 12 year old car that was at the cusp of being trendy and current more than a decade ago. These cars are like cell phones. We're not talking a 993 or R32 , E46, RS6 etc where vintage is better. This a dated boat where the crispness was worn off years ago. It's for posers.
Ok its a little outdated? I dont get your point. It still looks better then 95% of brand new cars on the road right now and looks damn near the same as the newer continental models. All im saying is its a unique and good looking car for that cheap of a price.

Hell our 2011 M3s are starting to get a little outdated. Does that make our cars poser cars too?
Appreciate 4
Pparana463.00
TXSTYLE13847.00
      02-12-2017, 09:07 PM   #25
Questofthetune
Captain
Rep
Drives: 13 GT50014 AW M235i(sold)

Garage List
2014 BMW 235i  [0.00]
I'm rooting for him to get it honestly
Appreciate 4
Pparana463.00
TXSTYLE13847.00
      02-12-2017, 09:16 PM   #26
yousefnjr
salty cowboys fan
Rep
Drives: ‘06 Z4MR, ‘20 X7, ‘22 M4x

Some fragile egos in here lol. People can be so worried about what others think of them.

OP I wouldn't do it because of maintenance costs, if it's anything like the v12 Benzes parts alone can be a small fortune.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 10:12 PM   #27
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Damn, so much hate for the Bentley, now I may just buy one. Seems to be a great troll car. All for 30k-50k. I would even rebadge as a Chrysler 300, and stick w that narrative when questioned. Nope it's a 06 300, inherited from my grandma when the state took her liscence.

Op buy it if you like it, dump it when you don't, you may get stung, I would look for one with records and miles. Both usually have less problems than a garage queen. I had a 2001 Range Rover with 180k on it when I bought it, full records. Drove better than my 03 with 40k on it, go figure. This was in 06, but like you I got bored and switched out a lot. Chances are you will be fine.

Obviously a lot of people here are concerned with what other people think of this car, or really what other people would think of them driving this car, but who gives a f. If anyone thinks random people on the road are preoccupied with your car choice they may want to seek some help. They are too busy texting.

Last edited by Pparana; 02-12-2017 at 10:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 11:22 PM   #28
48Laws
Banned
Rep
Drives: '15 F80, '18 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Ok its a little outdated? I dont get your point. It still looks better then 95% of brand new cars on the road right now and looks damn near the same as the newer continental models. All im saying is its a unique and good looking car for that cheap of a price.

Hell our 2011 M3s are starting to get a little outdated. Does that make our cars poser cars too?
Because a 12 year old, outdated, high end branded vehicle like the BGT is going to run your wallet dry all for what...to say you're finally driving a Bentley? Even if the first owner only drove 7500 miles/year that car still had 90k miles on it. What's the ROI on that? There is no "hate" for the Bentley! That's such a juvenile perspective of criticism. You haven't substantiated the benefits of owning a 12 year old highend luxury money pit. That's the real issue.

I never argued that. You did. My F80 mitigated the outdated e92. I don't have those problems.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 02:57 AM   #29
Daftasabrush
Fool
England
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Would an Aston DB9 get the same level of hate? In the uk they're a bit more expensive but not much. I was torn between my f31 and a db9 and had to go with the sensible option for space, but the allure of the db9 is strong!
      02-13-2017, 07:45 AM   #30
dgoldenz
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Vanquish, FF, 392 Wrangler

Just looked at some of the 05's on cars.com and man are the interiors starting to look terrible. Worn leather seats, outdated nav/tech, etc. The newer ones have a much nicer interior, seems like from 2010+ish on up.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 09:41 AM   #31
BloomRunsDubs
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48Laws View Post
Because a 12 year old, outdated, high end branded vehicle like the BGT is going to run your wallet dry all for what...to say you're finally driving a Bentley? Even if the first owner only drove 7500 miles/year that car still had 90k miles on it. What's the ROI on that? There is no "hate" for the Bentley! That's such a juvenile perspective of criticism. You haven't substantiated the benefits of owning a 12 year old highend luxury money pit. That's the real issue.

I never argued that. You did. My F80 mitigated the outdated e92. I don't have those problems.
I get where your comming from. I still think it's a cool car even if it's 12 years old. I rarely see them and when I do it's usually the ugly 4
door flying spur.

If I got one it would only be for probably 6 months to a year at most like I do with most of my cars. So It most likely wouldn't cost me much on maintenance and I know I'm not going to be losing money on depreciation like I would on a newer one.

It's not like it would be my only car and I would try to daily drive the thing. Hell no. But if I liked it a lot maybe I'd be more likely to spend the extra money and get a newer better one. It's just a different kind of car that I've never had or Drivin before. That's all
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 10:16 AM   #32
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Wow never thought I'd get so much hate on here for liking a Bentley GT lol

Some Bentley owner must have seriously hurt some of your feelings.

I don't want the car to look like a "baller" I've always loved the looks of the Bentley coupes and the interiors even the outdated ones are way nicer then most interiors on new cars. I don't really care about the tech as long as it's got a CD player I'm good. I have a perfectly good phone for everything else

I probably won't buy one but if I did it would just be for less then a year or so. I would just sell the thing after putting like 8k miles on it like I do most of my cars. I've had 10 different cars over the past 3 years so I just get bored of things fast and like trying new things... What's wrong with that?

I could get the newer model if I really wanted but for 80-100k there is far better cars I would buy and I hate losing money on depreciation a 05 GT still looks damn good and is not going anywhere in value anymore.

Thanks everyone that actually had good info for me and didn't want to hate on me for liking Bentleys. I appreciate it lol

Nothing is wrong with that. Every time I go to the annual car show in San Francisco of the past 10 years, the cars that grab my eye are anything Aston Martin and the Bentley GT.

This is a forum with members with strong opinions, no matter the topic. You could post something the size of side view mirrors and get 200 posts with vastly different opinions. That's part of what make this forum great. It's also what makes it annoying to OPs when they get trampled.

I really don't understand the poser point at all. If you want it, buy it.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 10:27 AM   #33
FriskyDingo
Rather Ambivalent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

Alright, OP, we're rooting for you!!!

Now when you buy one, make sure you get one in some just obnoxious color combo to piss everyone off even more.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2017, 10:29 AM   #34
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
Alright, OP, we're rooting for you!!!

Now when you buy one, make sure you get one in some just obnoxious color combo to piss everyone off even more.
....and add an M logo on the trunk.
Appreciate 0