Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Premium certified vehicle with BSI package

08-09-2023, 10:58 PM   #1
square66
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i G20

Premium certified vehicle with BSI package

Long story short. We purchased a pre-owned 330i along with 5 year BSI service plan (extra $1600) in May 2023 at BMW melbourne. (The car was firstly registered in Dec 2022)

We recently noticed that the expiry date of BSI plan is Dec 2027 in stead of May 2028 . Then we are informed by BMW customer service who confirmed the car has 5 years of BSI (Service Inclusive Plan) since Dec 2022. and it was not an add-on when i purchased the car in May 2023. meaning the car already has BSI plan before my purchase

We went back to the dealer who said “ we sold you BSI package for new car which is less expensive, that’s why the BSI had to start from first registration date”

Now i feel like been deceived for throwing in extra $1600 for nothing. Is it normal practice by BMW dealer? Shall i raise the issue to ACCC and consumer affairs?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 06:08 AM   #2
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

What's the receipt or quote say?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 05:17 PM   #3
square66
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustraliaG20 View Post
What's the receipt or quote say?
Details of purchase :
Vehicle Price Excluding Taxes
VIC Roads Transfer Fee
Stamp Duty
GST

Down the bottom
Special conditions:
5 year /80000kms BSI included. Sold as is.
Vehicle Detail included. Must be settled this month.

$1600 of BSI is not an separate item in the contract.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 08:35 PM   #4
Gaviatrix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by square66 View Post
Details of purchase :
Vehicle Price Excluding Taxes
VIC Roads Transfer Fee
Stamp Duty
GST

Down the bottom
Special conditions:
5 year /80000kms BSI included. Sold as is.
Vehicle Detail included. Must be settled this month.

$1600 of BSI is not an separate item in the contract.
If you've got the time and energy you could try your State consumer affairs department.

However, the detail in the contract is lacking and there would clearly be an argument that "5 year /80000kms BSI included. Sold as is" implies that the BSI contract had already started. Unless you have some other evidence recording what was said, I have to say I think you'd be unlikely to succeed. I am a lawyer, but that's just my opinion on very narrow information, not legal advice ...

Others may be able to comment on 'normal practice' at BMW dealerships as I also bought my car recently secondhand (not from a BMW dealer) but without a service plan. I do very few kms (c. 7000 annually) with this car and thought taking out a plan would be a waste of money. So far I've been right; but with a service coming up next week I might yet change that view!

Last edited by Gaviatrix; 08-11-2023 at 03:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2023, 11:19 PM   #5
square66
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaviatrix View Post
If you've got the time and energy you could try your State consumer affairs department.

However, the detail in the contract is lacking and there would clearly be an argument that "5 year /80000kms BSI included. Sold as is" implies that the BSI contract had already started. Unless you have some other evidence recording what was said, I have to say I think you'd be unlikely to succeed. I am a lawyer, but that's just my opinion on very narrow information, not legal advice ...

Others may be able to comment on 'normal practice' at BMW dealerships as I also bought by car recently secondhand but without a service plan. I do very few kms (c. 7000 annually) with this car and thought taking out a plan would be a waste of money. So far I've been right; but with a service coming up next week I might yet change that view!

I do have text messages from dealers offering “ $70k for the car” before we visit
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2023, 03:33 AM   #6
Gaviatrix
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by square66 View Post
I do have text messages from dealers offering “ $70k for the car” before we visit
Regrettably anything you signed after that is likely to have small print on the back saying that's the entire contract and no other representations have any effect. Even then, there's no clarity as to whether the additional $1600 you paid is for 5 yrs/80k from the date of purchase or whether from the registration date, given 'sold as is' wording. If there's a fixed price of $1600 for 5 years' package listed somewhere, then you might be on better ground.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2023, 03:26 PM   #7
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

It's also worth mentioning that it might have zero value depending on the service schedule. Even forward dating it might not get you an extra service as it's probably yearly by the 5th year.
Appreciate 0