Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics Software Update

03-16-2023, 08:40 AM   #1
RichP3n
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 2.0d

Software Update

Anyone got advice on how to get my update working? App constantly shows not connected to car via Wi-Fi, have tried reinstalling app, reconnecting phone etc…
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 04:13 AM   #2
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M340i, Mineral White

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
You need to add the connection for WiFi for your device. In I-drive Comms, Devices you will see add a connection for WiFi and it will show you the password to connect your device
Download the Drivers Guide App if you haven't already...that has all of the details.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 04:52 AM   #3
RichP3n
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TikiTourer View Post
You need to add the connection for WiFi for your device. In I-drive Comms, Devices you will see add a connection for WiFi and it will show you the password to connect your device
Download the Drivers Guide App if you haven't already...that has all of the details.
Thanks,
It’s connected but comes up as a separate device..
If I delete the device and add via apps it offers to join wifi which it does but no joy 🤷🏻‍♂️
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2023, 03:56 PM   #4
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichP3n View Post
Thanks,
It’s connected but comes up as a separate device..
If I delete the device and add via apps it offers to join wifi which it does but no joy 🤷🏻‍♂️
That's a bit odd...I wonder if the 2nd device is the connection for Android Auto or carplay.🤔 You could temporarily disable AA or car play app on your phone and see if it will connect Bluetooth, apps and wifi.

Even with it connected only by Bluetooth and Apps, you should still be able to manually connect to Wifi and all 3 will then show as connected in MyBMW App. On phone Wifi look for other networks and you should see a network WifiDirect with your VIN...if you select that network it should connect, then manually enter the password ( from I-drive , Com, Mobile Devices, tilt right to settings and select, wifi password will be displayed)
Other than that...I'm not sure
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 08:54 AM   #5
k4sh_90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
My car/phone does this from time to time. Just gotta delete the device and repair. It should only be on item listed, but it'll connected via Bluetooth and Wifi

Hey Google, play "Who Am I" by Beenie Man
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 02:32 PM   #6
041f0000
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 430i MSport coupe

I had this problem during the previous upgrade. Switching the iPhone off and back on then re-connected it and it worked.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 03:00 PM   #7
RAAF12
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
That's a bit odd...I wonder if the 2nd device is the connection for Android Auto or carplay.�� You could temporarily disable AA or car play app on your phone and see if it will connect Bluetooth, apps and wifi.

Even with it connected only by Bluetooth and Apps, you should still be able to manually connect to Wifi and all 3 will then show as connected in MyBMW App. On phone Wifi look for other networks and you should see a network WifiDirect with your VIN...if you select that network it should connect, then manually enter the password ( from I-drive , Com, Mobile Devices, tilt right to settings and select, wifi password will be displayed)
Other than that...I'm not sure
True a sniffer let you see the name in my case it is DIRECT-BMW 05133. these numbers are last five of the VIN.

Sniffer also tells BMW uses two Wifi channels, 11 on the 2.4 GHz band and 157 on the 5 GHz band, I'm not sure of the channel is actually in use.
I have a G20 from 2020
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2023, 03:36 PM   #8
RichP3n
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAF12 View Post
True a sniffer let you see the name in my case it is DIRECT-BMW 05133. these numbers are last five of the VIN.

Sniffer also tells BMW uses two Wifi channels, 11 on the 2.4 GHz band and 157 on the 5 GHz band, I'm not sure of the channel is actually in use.
I have a G20 from 2020
I’ve managed to get the WiFi and Bluetooth on one device in I drive, still showing not connected in app. When I change from CarPlay to Bmw Idrive in connection mode I get the ‘set up WiFi connection’ tab but pressing it does nothing.

My WiFi on phone shows ‘no internet’ but id expect that as its just a hotspot.
I’ve spent way to much time on this now 😢

Thanks for replies
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-21-2023, 05:03 PM   #9
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:

I have a G20 from 2020
Yes , I have a 2020 M340i. I have the same ssid with last 5 digits of VIN.
From my investigations, the 5GHz channel is used for Android Auto (or Car Play) and the 2.4GHz for the MyBMW App connection for the Remote Software Upgrade.
I had issues in 2020 /21 with Remote Software Upgrade as there was a conflict between that and Android Auto..perhaps because it was trying to use the same 5GHz channel.. but that was fixed during 2022..I think by changes to both the I-drive software and the MyBMW App and it using 2.4GHz.. Since then I've done upgrades with no problems.
I also had a lot of Android Auto drop outs ..but these were fixed by improvements in Android OS, the AA phone App, and with Wifi Direct . Since then, Android Auto has been perfect. II've done quite a bit of drive testing where RF interference is quite bad with no issues.
Everything is fine now..no connectivity issues with phone , Apps or Android Auto. I have a Google Pixel 5, Android 13
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 06:29 PM   #10
RAAF12
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Yes , I have a 2020 M340i. I have the same ssid with last 5 digits of VIN.
From my investigations, the 5GHz channel is used for Android Auto (or Car Play) and the 2.4GHz for the MyBMW App connection for the Remote Software Upgrade.
I had issues in 2020 /21 with Remote Software Upgrade as there was a conflict between that and Android Auto..perhaps because it was trying to use the same 5GHz channel.. but that was fixed during 2022..I think by changes to both the I-drive software and the MyBMW App and it using 2.4GHz.. Since then I've done upgrades with no problems.
I also had a lot of Android Auto drop outs ..but these were fixed by improvements in Android OS, the AA phone App, and with Wifi Direct . Since then, Android Auto has been perfect. II've done quite a bit of drive testing where RF interference is quite bad with no issues.
Everything is fine now..no connectivity issues with phone , Apps or Android Auto. I have a Google Pixel 5, Android 13
Carplay lost connection near Tollgates. It seems there is interference between transmitters for the automatic gate control and the Wifi reception of the car. For me it's not possible to change the car wifi band. Other members of Reddit says BMW uses 5GHz band.
I had the issues on the French motorways but the same problem is mentioned from US, Sweden and Australia.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2023, 06:49 PM   #11
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Carplay lost connection near Tollgates. It seems there is interference between transmitters for the automatic gate control and the Wifi reception of the car. For me it's not possible to change the car wifi band. Other members of Reddit says BMW uses 5GHz band.
I had the issues on the French motorways but the same problem is mentioned from US, Sweden and Australia.
Yes, both Car Play and Android Auto use the 5Ghz band...but that is not a BMW specification..it is an Apple and Google specification requirement.
I've been working with WiFi for more that 25 years..and I'm also an Android Auto beta tester. WiFi requencies are not guaranteed to be interference free...and they are used for other services including in some countries toll gates as you mention. The Government Dept Frequency Regulators in each country control the use of the frequencies and when WiFi was invented and deployed, the decision was made that users would not pay a licence fee, but the frequencies would not be guaranteed to be interference free.
Nevertheless,I know Google have made some improvement to the implementation of both WiFi direct and Android Auto to mitigate interference and it's far better than it used to be.
Unfortunately, not much can be done about RF interference with WiFi.
One other thing that can cause dropouts of AA and Carplay is that phones have a feature to allow automatic connection to high quality public WiFi networks....so if that feature is turned on and you drive past a public network WiFi access point, then bingo..your phone will connect to that, and drop the in car connection.
From my experience 99% of connection problems between phone and car are phone problems..Apps out of date, OS out of date, incorrect settings , not following setup instructions etc etc. It also pays to look at the known issues lists for CarPlay and Android Auto, as both have bugs that are being worked on.
Appreciate 1
RichP3n12.00
      03-21-2023, 09:30 PM   #12
RichP3n
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Yes, both Car Play and Android Auto use the 5Ghz band...but that is not a BMW specification..it is an Apple and Google specification requirement.
I've been working with WiFi for more that 25 years..and I'm also an Android Auto beta tester. WiFi requencies are not guaranteed to be interference free...and they are used for other services including in some countries toll gates as you mention. The Government Dept Frequency Regulators in each country control the use of the frequencies and when WiFi was invented and deployed, the decision was made that users would not pay a licence fee, but the frequencies would not be guaranteed to be interference free.
Nevertheless,I know Google have made some improvement to the implementation of both WiFi direct and Android Auto to mitigate interference and it's far better than it used to be.
One other thing that can cause dropouts of AA and Carplay is that phones have a feature to allow automatic connection to high quality public WiFi networks....so if that feature is turned on and you drive past a public network WiFi access point, then bingo..your phone will connect to that, and drop the in car connection.
From my experience 99% of connection problems between phone and car are phone problems..Apps out of date, OS out of date, incorrect settings , not following setup instructions etc etc. It also pays to look at the known issues lists for CarPlay and Android Auto, as both have bugs that are being worked on.
Do you think because I’m on iOS beta that might have something to do with it?
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2023, 09:57 PM   #13
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
Do you think because I’m on iOS beta that might have something to do with it?
I'm not so familiar with iOS but it could be possible. Siimilar things have happened with Android beta releases that I have had on my devices previously. With Android, I have 2 phones..1 with beta release and 1 without so that I can compare behaviour 😢😢
Appreciate 1
RichP3n12.00
      03-21-2023, 10:00 PM   #14
RichP3n
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
I'm not so familiar with iOS but it could be possible. Siimilar things have happened with Android beta releases that I have had on my devices previously. With Android, I have 2 phones..1 with beta release and 1 without so that I can compare behaviour 😢😢
That’s given me an idea I’ll try with a different iPhone! Might be the solution
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2023, 05:20 AM   #15
RichP3n
United Kingdom
Rep

SOLVED

Used an android phone and it worked straight away. Definitely iPhone issue. Thanks for all suggestions!
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2023, 03:47 PM   #16
RAAF12
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
This probleam near toll gates will persist if the toll owner uses these wifi band signals for automatic payments. In France, Spain and lot of others countries frequent drivers can use a small box and glued it behind the car mirror on the windscreen. So they don't have to wait in a congestion lane for payment. Nice system but not for wireless Carplay and Android Auto users!

Last edited by RAAF12; 03-22-2023 at 03:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 11:03 PM   #17
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
This probleam near toll gates will persist if the toll owner uses these wifi band signals for automatic payments. In France, Spain and lot of others countries frequent drivers can use a small box and glued it behind the car mirror on the windscreen. So they don't have to wait in a congestion lane for payment. Nice system but not for wireless Carplay and Android Auto users!
We don't use any RF or tag system for toll roads..it's all done by scanning number plates. So no interference from that.
There was a 4 corner iintersection where I am that has a McDonald's, a Shell petrol station, an electronics shop, and a building cellphone towers, microwave dishes and mobile radio antenna on it. So an RF cesspit.. Android Auto used to stutter and partially drop out at that intersection, but since Android 13 and I-drive update July 2021 no more dropouts
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2023, 11:07 PM   #18
TikiTourer
Old Member
New Zealand
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
2013 125i  [0.00]
Quote:
SOLVED

Used an android phone and it worked straight away. Definitely iPhone issue. Thanks for all suggestions!
That's great! I'm pleased that you got it sorted. It usually is a phone problem, but unfortunately takes a bit of time to prove it.
Appreciate 0