Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Where is the odometer?

05-24-2019, 03:52 PM   #1
sekitori
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Where is the odometer?

When I first got my G20 a week ago, I noticed that what I thought was the odometer showed over 400 miles. That seemed like a lot of mileage for a brand new automobile. Then it started counting down instead of up. I knew that figure was the mileage remaining at that speed before the tank was empty. But the odometer itself has always appeared on the dash of my previous autombiles including BMWs, and it wasn't present.

However, I did notice that when I started the car, the odometer reading did briefly show up at the bottom of the screen--but then it disappeared.

I went to the dealership today and the advisor couldn't find a consistent view of the odometer either. He called in another advisor and after they spent several minutes, they found it. Pressing the top button on the left stalk produced a screen which showed both the odometer and the trip odometer figures. The Owner's Manual describes this only as a widget for trip data. There is nothing concerning its containing the total mileage odometer as well. Holding that button down resets the trip odometer. I now keep that information permanently on the right side of the screen, so it once again appears on the dash.

I also found out that the indicator on the lower left side of the dash showing remaining mileage on the tank of gas, is permanent and can't be deleted.

I learned something new and valuable by taking the car to the dealership. As things turned out, so did a couple of the advisors.
Appreciate 2
      05-24-2019, 06:02 PM   #2
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
It really shouldn't be that difficult. Sounds like over-engineering to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2019, 09:39 PM   #3
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Push the bc stalk once or twice to scroll to the odometer. Hold in to reset. It is a bit obscure.
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #4
kalinsky
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330xi

Thank you! I thought it was just me who could not figure that out...
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2019, 12:39 PM   #5
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

On our Audi there is a standard mileage reset button at the gauges and pressing once shows odometer plus miles since reset while holding down (or press twice, can't remember) clears reset miles. Is there not a button at gauges for this on the bimmer?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 04:59 PM   #6
sekitori
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
On our Audi there is a standard mileage reset button at the gauges and pressing once shows odometer plus miles since reset while holding down (or press twice, can't remember) clears reset miles. Is there not a button at gauges for this on the bimmer?
According to the the advisors at the BMW dealership, aside from the total odometer reading showing up briefly on the dash when the ignition is turned on and then disappearing, the only way to access it along with the trip odometer is by pushing the top button at the end of the turn indicator stalk until that info is revealed.

As mentioned previously, this situation seems to me to be one of over-engineering or in this particular case, under-engineering.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 05:12 PM   #7
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sekitori View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
According to the the advisors at the BMW dealership, aside from the total odometer reading showing up briefly on the dash when the ignition is turned on and then disappearing, the only way to access it along with the trip odometer is by pushing the top button at the end of the turn indicator stalk until that info is revealed.

As mentioned previously, this situation seems to me to be one of over-engineering or in this particular case, under-engineering.
Yes, I had to figure this out too. It's really strange. Keep pressing the top button on the left turn signal and the total miles will show up eventually.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 04:29 AM   #8
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i

seems like its as easy as turning the A/C on and off...
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 10:45 AM   #9
kalinsky
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherweeeny View Post
Speaking of that (and not to hijack the thread...), how does one turn off the AC?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2019, 03:04 PM   #10
DomiGijzen
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3 MSport High Exec (G08)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalinsky View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherweeeny View Post
Speaking of that (and not to hijack the thread...), how does one turn off the AC?
Switching of the ac function is via the ac menu button and then the menu. Switching down the whole ventilation is just lowering the fan till below lowest.
      07-10-2019, 12:17 PM   #11
3ismagic#
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 330Xi M-Sport

Quote:

so the top reading on the trip odometer is the total odometer?
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2019, 02:30 PM   #12
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i. 2013 328i

I really wish instead of it showing the road your on on the bottom of the cluster it shows your mileage.. I hate how if you want to see your mileage you have to have it take up the whole right side of the gauges... so what I ended up doing is I made one of the home screen tiles on idrive my odometer
Appreciate 1
      07-10-2019, 02:50 PM   #13
ny176
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 340xi Msport

You can also check it on the POS BMW connected app
      07-10-2019, 05:42 PM   #14
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i. 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ny176 View Post
You can also check it on the POS BMW connected app
That's when it decides to work
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 12:28 AM   #15
Macboy
Rep
Drives: G20 330d

Its completely rubbish and stupid design. The dashboard is so big showing all relevant info. All cars of the last 100 years have an odometer. Now BMW decided to stop this. You can only access it in the RPM meter section. All the room and zero possibilities. Showing me the street name in a city where I live was probably more usefull according to BMW.

Hate these stupid designs. I mean I can understand the importante of change from analog to digital. But make use of the digital possibilities and make it possible for people to chose the position of these things. And not a 20-year old marketeer and designer who have no idea what they are doing.

I am now driving with a complete black useless space between the gauges where I cannot chose anything. Only that stupid navigation that I already have on the hud and the big screen. A third one was the best they could think off. You can luckily turn it off. But than its a black whole. Forbidding you to add some other relevant info. Why??

I would love to see the odometer there and the number sign recognition for example. Great and clear place. But no. BMW decided it was not.

Cant wait for third parties to crack this idiocracy.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 06:46 AM   #16
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

I agree that it’s annoying and different than every car I’ve ever owned but then I was wondering how often do I really need to see the total miles.

The biggest issue I guess would be car repair shops that record it when doing maintenance and inspections.

I’m more annoyed that they kept the arrow pointing to the trip miles which is the same arrow but going a different direction as the arrow showing which side the gas tank is on.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 07:00 AM   #17
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
I agree that it’s annoying and different than every car I’ve ever owned but then I was wondering how often do I really need to see the total miles.

The biggest issue I guess would be car repair shops that record it when doing maintenance and inspections.
Thinking the same. We are so used to seeing the mileage, but in reality it is not at all necessary to be shown all the time. The fact we can bring it up when necessary, is all we really need.

Garages (and BMW) can see the mileage from the car and key fob, so they don't really need to physically see it anymore.
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2019, 08:00 AM   #18
Macboy
Rep
Drives: G20 330d

I dont think its up to anybody to decide what others find relevant.

And its not about the odometer. Its just an example of the stupidity for not enabling different options for whoever wants. Maybe somebody just wants the weather in front of him.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 08:08 AM   #19
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macboy View Post

And its not about the odometer. Its just an example of the stupidity for not enabling different options for whoever wants. Maybe somebody just wants the weather in front of him.
Maybe not but you are on a discussion forum so at least keep open the possibility of hearing opinions that may be different than yours.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 08:49 AM   #20
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macboy View Post

BMW are deciding what is relevant 'or not' in their design brief and implementation. Whether any of us agree, or disagree, is open to discussion, comment and opinion.

We have had the same sort of discussions, in the past, about the way the modes features are combined and selected.

BMW have stated their reasons and rational for the available modes combinations in technical documents. Whether individual users like it or not, it is BMW's decision and implementation we live with. Sure some of us would like different combinations and features.

Make comment to BMW, some user suggestions do get implemented in future updates and revisions.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #21
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I just cycle through till I get the odometer. Then I leave it at that. So I always have the odometer showing. After I put fuel in the car, I push the button on the bottom left of the screen and it resets the trip to zero.

Pretty simple. But if I wanted to see other information, I could cycle through the push button on the stalk and pick what I wanted.

I think it works pretty well. But it looks like I am in the minority.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2019, 11:45 AM   #22
PandaMobile
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i TB II

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
When I first got my G20 a week ago, I noticed that what I thought was the odometer showed over 400 miles. That seemed like a lot of mileage for a brand new automobile. Then it started counting down instead of up. I knew that figure was the mileage remaining at that speed before the tank was empty. But the odometer itself has always appeared on the dash of my previous autombiles including BMWs, and it wasn't present.

However, I did notice that when I started the car, the odometer reading did briefly show up at the bottom of the screen--but then it disappeared.

I went to the dealership today and the advisor couldn't find a consistent view of the odometer either. He called in another advisor and after they spent several minutes, they found it. Pressing the top button on the left stalk produced a screen which showed both the odometer and the trip odometer figures. The Owner's Manual describes this only as a widget for trip data. There is nothing concerning its containing the total mileage odometer as well. Holding that button down resets the trip odometer. I now keep that information permanently on the right side of the screen, so it once again appears on the dash.

I also found out that the indicator on the lower left side of the dash showing remaining mileage on the tank of gas, is permanent and can't be deleted.

I learned something new and valuable by taking the car to the dealership. As things turned out, so did a couple of the advisors.
I just used the connected app. It's in the info section
Attached Images

Appreciate 0