Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Rear Cross Traffic alert never getting triggered?

11-11-2020, 07:18 PM   #67
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

It's definitely less sensitive than it is with other brands. My previous car, a Grand Cherokee, was way too sensitive. It beeped at cars passing 20 feet away when backing up and intervened unnecessarily so many times that I often disabled it when backing out of tight spaces... Pretty annoying. The emergency/automatic braking definitely works, although I've never had it activated on my 3, just an X5 (for curbs and bushes).
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 10:26 PM   #68
Travisty65
Australia
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport G20; X6 M50d F16

BMW's cross traffic alert function is unlike other brands where you can sit stationery and have an audible alert play. The cross traffic alert feature shows a flashing red spot on your PDC display and only plays a sound out loud if you are in motion while the cross traffic warning on the screen is still flashing. Hope that helps!
Appreciate 1
EXE462100.00
      07-29-2021, 11:52 AM   #69
Aero7000
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i DravitGrau / Cognac

Cross traffic alert sounds literally a second before car hit brakes for you.
It is useless as a warning, but does the job when needed.

In my experience it reacted to shadow once, stopped the car dead, and refused to continue in reverse, I had to switch to D and back to R, just to get out of garage.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 06:23 PM   #70
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

I think mine worked once... but the warning was so weak and late. Like everyone else said, useless. Not something you can even semi-rely on. I just pretend i dont have those features.

The only reason i got it is because i needed to get the Driver Assist package to get HK... or i would have never gotten it.

My Gf's $27k CX-30's Rear cross traffic, actually all the safety features in general all work MUCH MUCH better than my $63k BMW.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 07:00 PM   #71
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oonowindoo View Post
I think mine worked once... but the warning was so weak and late. Like everyone else said, useless. Not something you can even semi-rely on. I just pretend i dont have those features.

The only reason i got it is because i needed to get the Driver Assist package to get HK... or i would have never gotten it.

My Gf's $27k CX-30's Rear cross traffic, actually all the safety features in general all work MUCH MUCH better than my $63k BMW.
BMW should reverse engineer Mazda's rear cross traffic system. No comparison.
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 07:10 PM   #72
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

Yah with Mazda, unless your car is completely stopped when trying to reverse, they will make sure you know a car is coming... U can't even miss it if you wanted to :rofl:
Even with the car is stopped, as long as it is in R, it will detect Pedestrians. This is very helpful with trying to back out at the supermarket.. somehow people there love to walk near your trunk.

And the timing is good, it leaves you enough time to brake and look around. With BMW, by the time you hear the warning, chances are it is too late and that is if you get a warning at all.
Appreciate 0