Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Valvetronic and downpipe

02-15-2024, 07:14 PM   #1
milkmotel
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Valvetronic and downpipe

I'm considering getting the Valvetronic exhaust system for the G20 M340i.

A few questions:
1. Will disconnecting the stock valve controller plug and leaving it unplugged throw a CEL? What do you do with this?
2. Does anyone have a video of the install process? Mostly concerned about installing the valve controller and how to run the wiring.

Bonus question: is it worth getting a catted AA downpipe to install at the same time if I'm going to be staying on stock tune for a while?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 04:46 AM   #2
NightOwl-M340i
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmotel View Post

A few questions:
1. Will disconnecting the stock valve controller plug and leaving it unplugged throw a CEL? What do you do with this?
2. Does anyone have a video of the install process? Mostly concerned about installing the valve controller and how to run the wiring.

Bonus question: is it worth getting a catted AA downpipe to install at the same time if I'm going to be staying on stock tune for a while?
No you wont get a CEL. They were unplugged and just tucked away behind the heat shield I believe and its snug so no need to worry about it dangling or getting dirty.

Dont have a video but had my boy install it for me. Seemed pretty simple for the wiring. He said there was literally a perfect hole to run the wires through the trunk (Saw it myself , definitely not anything complicated). And then plugs into the 12v in the trunk. If you have a 2023+ I dont think you have a 12v in the trunk.

Would highly recommend to pair it with a downpipe. Tbh I’m super disappointed in this exhaust bc its personally too quiet for me. However, I do have a 22 so it wont sound as good as a 2020.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 11:14 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightOwl-M340i View Post
No you wont get a CEL. They were unplugged and just tucked away behind the heat shield I believe and its snug so no need to worry about it dangling or getting dirty.

Dont have a video but had my boy install it for me. Seemed pretty simple for the wiring. He said there was literally a perfect hole to run the wires through the trunk (Saw it myself , definitely not anything complicated). And then plugs into the 12v in the trunk. If you have a 2023+ I dont think you have a 12v in the trunk.

Would highly recommend to pair it with a downpipe
This ^

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 06:21 PM   #4
JackMK
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 m340i X 2023 G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmotel View Post

A few questions:

Quote:

Would highly recommend to pair it with a downpipe. Tbh I’m super disappointed in this exhaust bc its personally too quiet for me. However, I do have a 22 so it wont sound as good as a 2020.
If you have a 2023+, you won't have a 12v socket in the trunk so you have two options. Run the wires all the way to the front cupholders by the driver seat or hardwire it into the battery or an accessory line. I would recommended contacting a couple shops beforehand making sure they have experience with valvetronic exhausts and their systems. You won't get an CEL. I have a 2023 M340i with the valvetronic and a catless dp and it sounds rowdy asf. Sounds pretty good. Paired it with a burble tune (unlocked on BM3) with 2.5 duration and it sounds amazing. I would say its equal if not better than 2020s on stock exhaust/muffy d. An aftermarket exhaust might be a different story.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 09:08 PM   #5
NightOwl-M340i
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMK View Post
If you have a 2023+, you won't have a 12v socket in the trunk so you have two options. Run the wires all the way to the front cupholders by the driver seat or hardwire it into the battery or an accessory line. I would recommended contacting a couple shops beforehand making sure they have experience with valvetronic exhausts and their systems. You won't get an CEL. I have a 2023 M340i with the valvetronic and a catless dp and it sounds rowdy asf. Sounds pretty good. Paired it with a burble tune (unlocked on BM3) with 2.5 duration and it sounds amazing. I would say its equal if not better than 2020s on stock exhaust/muffy d. An aftermarket exhaust might be a different story.
Would you say the downpipe with your valvetronic made a BIG difference on the sound? Looking to getting a dp but dont want to be disappointed again.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 11:29 AM   #6
JackMK
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 m340i X 2023 G87 M2

Quote:
Would you say the downpipe with your valvetronic made a BIG difference on the sound? Looking to getting a dp but dont want to be disappointed again.
Yeah it definitely opened it up. Still sounded good with stock dp but 10x better with a catless dp. I can speak about catted but catless is the way to go
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2024, 01:59 PM   #7
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackMK View Post
Yeah it definitely opened it up. Still sounded good with stock dp but 10x better with a catless dp. I can speak about catted but catless is the way to go
Catless is best for a loud and aggressive sound
catted is better for a more subtle tone with a deep mid-range.

Both are good upgrades over stock

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0