Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Questions on m340i tunes

05-08-2022, 08:42 PM   #1
rahimhussainar@gmail.com
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Questions on m340i tunes

Hey guys. Sorry I’m advance for my lack of knowledge haha.

I just got a 2020 m340i and have been looking for some tunes to maximize my performance

So far I think I’ve seen jb4, MHD, mission performance, and xhp
But I’ve also seen that you can run jb4+MHD+(And maybe also xhp) all at the same time?
MHD also has their own super license which I also saw.

But my main question is what tune(s) should I go with for the maximum performance?

So far I have a downpipe and a awe touring exhaust
Thank you for the help in advance
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2022, 09:14 PM   #2
xnick101
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X3 M

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
For maximum performance the way to go is Ecutek. Pair it with the visconti flex fuel kit and you can run full flex fuel with Ecutek.
Appreciate 1
jpowers36218.00
      05-09-2022, 09:41 AM   #3
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

You do not need to stack tuners for your setup; this is more beneficial for advanced builds.

Get the Jb4 and call it a day; it'll add more power.

If you still want more, invest in an upgraded turbo.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 10:38 AM   #4
rahimhussainar@gmail.com
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
You do not need to stack tuners for your setup; this is more beneficial for advanced builds.

Get the Jb4 and call it a day; it'll add more power.

If you still want more, invest in an upgraded turbo.
I got the jb4 but somehow it’s made my car slower. I’m running 93oct but I’m getting a .6 slower 0-60 and a slower launch.
I emailed Steve from burger with logs so hopefully it turns out ok

Edit: I tried maps 1-3 all with slower 0-60 times than stock by at minimum .6 seconds. Though on map3 I was getting a .2 faster quarter mile.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 10:45 AM   #5
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahimhussainar@gmail.com View Post
So far I think I’ve seen jb4, MHD, mission performance, and xhp
But I’ve also seen that you can run jb4+MHD+(And maybe also xhp) all at the same time?But my main question is what tune(s) should I go with for the maximum performance?
  • JB4 (like RaceChip and a few others) is not a tune it is a piggyback - it is not actually tuning your car rather it is fooling it into making more power. It's for this reason that piggybacks are limited in their capabilities relative to a flash and cant do things such as modify your exhaust aggressiveness, offer a more robust engine cooling cycle (there are many others) etc..... JB4 is an actual box that sits under your hood and connects to 4-5 physical connectors in your engine bay and optionally into your OBD port under the dash as well. Burger Motorsports is based in SoCal
  • MHD is true DME (cars ECU) flash - I think they outsource their actual maps that are available from them that they offer with the purchase. It is a good robust product. Note MHD is an open platform - meaning if you want something more aggressive - you can pay someone to write you a custom (more aggressive, crazy, max performance, flame shooting, power on the edge etc...) map that you can load using your MHD flash. MHD is typically loaded via an app on your phone. MHD is located in Germany
  • I'll add BM3 (pro-tuning freaks) in here as well - similar to MHD in terms of capabilities. BM3 is typically loaded via an app on your phone. BM3 is located in Canada
  • MHD + JB4 you'll typically see this when some is running the MHD flash and needs something like methanol injection they use the Jb4 to control that. It is not stacking each is doing their own thing at that point...MHD controlling the DME, Jb4 controlling the meth
  • XHP is NOT a DME tune it is a TCU (a transmission control unit) tune (yes there is such a thing) it will change the characteristics of your transmission and can be combined with most tunes.
  • Mission Performance - like MHD & BM3 is a full DME tune - Mission Performance controls all aspects of tune from unlock to flash to tune and keep everything in house. They are a closed platform - they do not allow outside tunes to be loaded or for their platform to be modified in any way (I liken it to apple - some flexibility but you are always within their safe universe). In my opinion their flashes are the most oem like in terms of linear power delivery and drivability - it's what I run. That said MP is not your go to shop for maximum all out power bragging rights - they are really about optimizing vs maximizing. So likely not a good fit for you in your pursuit of "maximum performance" as you've stated. MP has traditionally been loaded via PC but is moving to app phone based. MP is located in SoCal - rumored to be moving to Texas to be closer to Toyota

My opinion:
If you really want Maximum Performance, Kill Maps and/or Dyno numbers I would go with either BM3 or EcuTek AND find an independent one-off tuner (usually an individual) to write you a custom map to load. I would start with finding a tuner you want to work with and ask them which they prefer. Paul Johnson & Carey Jordan are two popular custom map developers (you can google them). But again keep in mind when you go this route sky is the limit and that doesn't always mean it's what's best - so watch what you ask for I covet drivability, linear power and reliability the most - for this reason I am happy with my 470+ WHP and my MP tune. But the platform can be pushed further and I look forward to your results

Note:
This whole conversation is only possible because you have a 2020 - that can be unlocked. If you had a 21+ that could not be unlocked - piggyback would be your only option.

Whole bunch of other stuff that could go in here - and other people will surely jump in with their thoughts and opinions.

I hope this helps get you started down the path

There really are no bad options - it's just a matter of determining what is best for you

ps- welcome to the forum

Last edited by chenry; 07-05-2022 at 01:12 PM..
Appreciate 4
      05-09-2022, 10:47 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
I got the jb4 but somehow it’s made my car slower. I’m running 93oct but I’m getting a .6 slower 0-60 and a slower launch.
I emailed Steve from burger with logs so hopefully it turns out ok

Edit: I tried maps 1-3 all with slower 0-60 times than stock by at minimum .6 seconds. Though on map3 I was getting a .2 faster quarter mile.
Assuming everything is running fine, the JB4 is not making your car slower, you just are having more traction issues on low RPM due to higher boost and not-so-great tires.

This issue would not go away if you change the brand of the tuner.

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
      05-09-2022, 11:13 AM   #7
rahimhussainar@gmail.com
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Assuming everything is running fine, the JB4 is not making your car slower, you just are having more traction issues on low RPM due to higher boost and not-so-great tires.

This issue would not go away if you change the brand of the tuner.
I don’t thinks it’s tired since I have pretty good pirelli tires (forgetting the exact model rn)
Plus, on all maps traction wasn’t what was holding me back. But rather a very unusual launch.
On stock the launch was very aggressive.
But for some reason the launch on any of the jb4 maps almost seemed like it dropped boost and then sped up through second gear.
There was no tire squealing or anything like that.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 11:15 AM   #8
rahimhussainar@gmail.com
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
  • JB4 (like RaceChip and a few others) is not a tune it is a piggyback - it is not actually tuning your car rather it is fooling it into making more power. It's for this reason that piggybacks are limited in their capabilities relative to a flash and cant do things such as modify your exhaust aggressiveness, offer a more robust engine cooling cycle (there are many others) etc..... JB4 is an actual box that sits under your hood and connects to 4-5 physical connectors in your engine bay and optionally into your OBD port under the dash as well. Burger Motorsports is based in SoCal
  • MHD is true DME (cars ECU) flash - I think they outsource their actual maps that are available from them that they offer with the purchase. It is a good robust product. Note MHD is an open platform - meaning if you want something more aggressive - you can pay someone to write you a custom (more aggressive, crazy, max performance, flame shooting, power on the edge etc...) map that you can load using your MHD flash. MHD is typically loaded via an app on your phone. MHD is located in Germany
  • I'll add BM3 (pro-tuning freaks) in here as well - similar to MHD in terms of capabilities. BM3 is typically loaded via an app on your phone. BM3 is located in Canada
  • MHD + JB4 you'll typically see this when some is running the MHD flash and needs something like methanol injection they use the Jb4 to control that. It is not stacking each is doing their own thing at that point...MHD controlling the DME, Jb4 controlling the meth
  • XHP is NOT a DME tune it is a TCU (a transmission control unit) tune (yes there is such a thing) it will change the characteristics of your transmission and can be combined with most tunes.
  • Mission Performance - like MHD & BM3 is a full DME tune - Mission Performance controls all aspects of tune from unlock to flash to tune and keep everything in house. They are a closed platform - they do not allow outside tunes to be loaded or for their platform to be modified in any way (I liken it to apple - some flexibility but you are always within their safe universe). In my opinion their flashes are the most oem like in terms of linear power delivery and drivability - it's what I run. That said MP is not your go to shop for maximum all out power bragging rights - they are really about optimizing vs maximizing. So likely not a good fit for you in your pursuit of "maximum performance" as you've stated. MP has traditionally been loaded via PC but is moving to app phone based. MP is located in SoCal - rumored to be moving to Texas to be closer to Toyota

My opinion:
If you really want Maximum Performance, Kill Maps and/or Dyno numbers I would go with either BM3 or EcuTek AND find an independent one-off tuner (usually an individual) to write you a custom map to load. I would start with finding a tuner you want to work with and ask them which they prefer. Paul Johnson & Carey Jordan are two popular custom map developers (you can google them). But again keep in mind when you go this route sky is the limit and that doesn't always mean it's what's best - so watch what you ask for I covet drivability, linear power and reliability the most - for this reason I am happy with my 470+ WHP and my MP tune. But the platform can be pushed further and I look forward to your results

Note:
This whole conversation is only possible because you have a 2020 - that can be unlocked. If you had a 21+ that could not be unlocked - piggyback would be your only option.

Whole bunch of other stuff that could go in here - and other people will surely jump in with their thoughts and opinions.

There really are no bad options - it's just a matter of deterring what is best for you

ps- welcome to the forum
Thank you!!
I’m also in the same boat where I want something with the most power but still (somewhat) safe. I think I’m gonna go with MHD for rn since I already bought it. But I also already bought the jb4 :/
Might just have to get meth injection lol
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 11:49 AM   #9
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

If powertrain warranty matters to you, a piggyback (such as JB4) will be your best bet to not get "flagged." Once the DME is unlocked for a flash tune, the second BMW plugs your car up for service it will be flagged under "suspicion of tuning." Mission seems to have found a way around this but i have not heard of any others. Even if you flash the stock map back on the other platforms you will still be easily flagged.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 11:50 AM   #10
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post

My opinion:

Note:

There really are no bad options - it's just a matter of deterring what is best for you

ps- welcome to the forum
Thank you!!
I'm also in the same boat where I want something with the most power but still (somewhat) safe. I think I'm gonna go with MHD for rn since I already bought it. But I also already bought the jb4 :/
You're welcome - looking forward to your feedback. Most are happy with what they have (as long as they stick with the major flash names) so I'm sure you'll be pleased with the results

Ps-meth scares me but I know some go there
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 12:00 PM   #11
xnick101
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Thank you!!
I’m also in the same boat where I want something with the most power but still (somewhat) safe. I think I’m gonna go with MHD for rn since I already bought it. But I also already bought the jb4 :/
Don't do meth injection on a B58. It has a hard time making it through the intercooler-manifold. You end up with very little meth getting to cylinders 5 and 6 and can blow it up. If you want more fueling, add port injection. Every fast M340i and supra is on Ecutek. Ecutek is way more advanced for this platform than MHD/BM3.
Appreciate 1
jpowers36218.00
      05-09-2022, 07:02 PM   #12
rahimhussainar@gmail.com
Private
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xnick101 View Post
Don't do meth injection on a B58. It has a hard time making it through the intercooler-manifold. You end up with very little meth getting to cylinders 5 and 6 and can blow it up. If you want more fueling, add port injection. Every fast M340i and supra is on Ecutek. Ecutek is way more advanced for this platform than MHD/BM3.
yeah, checked up on meth and not doing that.
but is ecutek super complicated? im just trynna get the best performance from something that is still somewhat user-friendly.
also does mhd support any port injection?
my goal is to get to 550 whp.

also how much is ecutek? cant find prices online. thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 08:04 PM   #13
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
If powertrain warranty matters to you, a piggyback (such as JB4) will be your best bet to not get "flagged." Once the DME is unlocked for a flash tune, the second BMW plugs your car up for service it will be flagged under "suspicion of tuning." Mission seems to have found a way around this but i have not heard of any others. Even if you flash the stock map back on the other platforms you will still be easily flagged.
Isn’t piggyback still a risk? If the computer logs you running outside of stock parameters doesn’t that get flagged??
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 08:41 PM   #14
wwannabebmwboy
Private
Rep
Drives: N?A

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
Quote:
Isn’t piggyback still a risk? If the computer logs you running outside of stock parameters doesn’t that get flagged??
yes you definitely get flagged with a jb4 too
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2022, 10:33 PM   #15
KyK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
but is ecutek super complicated? im just trynna get the best performance from something that is still somewhat user-friendly.

I've been looking at switching over to Ecutek and have seen some sales but overall it looks like it's going to cost me $2,000 bc of full flex-fuel. The kits are around $1,300 and a custom tune is around $700-1000 depending on the tuner. If you check out Kagan tuning's website (which seems to be a popular tuner in the FB groups) they have an OTS kit for $1300.

As for difficulty, it seems to be very similar to MHD and BM3 install, you just have to find a tuner as Ecutek doesn't supply OTS maps like BM3 or MHD. There's also the added caveat of finding someone to bench unlock your ECU as they require some specialty tool but that shouldn't be too difficult as it is popular. Since your goal is to get to 550 WHP I think your only realistic option is Ecutek. I believe an E50 tune will get you to just above 500whp.
Porsche 911 Carrera T (retired)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 08:59 AM   #16
xnick101
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:

Is ecutek super complicated? No, if you buy the phone flash.
The best performance is hands down ecutek.
Best user-friendly is hands down not ecutek. BM3 holds that crown.
Ecutek is the only tuning platform that supports port injection for the gen 2 cars. And also true flex fuel.
550 whp may not be possible on the stock turbo. 500-520 whp is more realistic.
But once again, if you want maximum power Ecutek is the way to go. You will be disappointed going MHD/BM3 if that is your goal.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 09:01 AM   #17
xnick101
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Correct. Any time it sees boost over stock parameter threshold it will flag the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 09:02 AM   #18
xnick101
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyykim View Post
I've been looking at switching over to Ecutek and have seen some sales but overall it looks like it's going to cost me $2,000 bc of full flex-fuel. The kits are around $1,300 and a custom tune is around $700-1000 depending on the tuner. If you check out Kagan tuning's website (which seems to be a popular tuner in the FB groups) they have an OTS kit for $1300.

As for difficulty, it seems to be very similar to MHD and BM3 install, you just have to find a tuner as Ecutek doesn't supply OTS maps like BM3 or MHD. There's also the added caveat of finding someone to bench unlock your ECU as they require some specialty tool but that shouldn't be too difficult as it is popular. Since your goal is to get to 550 WHP I think your only realistic option is Ecutek. I believe an E50 tune will get you to just above 500whp.
Mine was about $1900 after the visconti flex fuel kit and bench unlock. Well worth it. I picked up a used ecutek programming kit on the supra forums for $150. So I saved some money there.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 09:41 AM   #19
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwannabebmwboy View Post
yes you definitely get flagged with a jb4 too
Quote:
Correct. Any time it sees boost over stock parameter threshold it will flag the car.
Have yet to see a single example where a piggyback was physically removed prior to the service visit and the car was flagged. The proactive flagging of a vehicle is solely due to the DME being unlocked. That said, if there is a high $$ warranty claim then BMW engineers can come out and pull logs to verify parameters. There is risk regardless, but much higher likelihood of warranty work being denied due to DME unlock than a piggyback.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 11:26 AM   #20
xnick101
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Have yet to see a single example where a piggyback was physically removed prior to the service visit and the car was flagged. The proactive flagging of a vehicle is solely due to the DME being unlocked. That said, if there is a high $$ warranty claim then BMW engineers can come out and pull logs to verify parameters. There is risk regardless, but much higher likelihood of warranty work being denied due to DME unlock than a piggyback.
I have had warranty work be denied even when the car was stock so I gave up and just started modding lol. No more dealer visits for me. But as you said they can go into it and check.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2022, 09:52 PM   #21
KyK
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Mine was about $1900 after the visconti flex fuel kit and bench unlock. Well worth it. I picked up a used ecutek programming kit on the supra forums for $150. So I saved some money there.
Going to have to shop around some supra forums. I am not sure if you're in the m340i owners FB group but I'm getting the feeling that you might've answered my question about the Visconti flex fuel kit on there the other day.
Porsche 911 Carrera T (retired)
Appreciate 1
xnick101650.50
      05-11-2022, 09:01 AM   #22
xnick101
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyykim View Post
Going to have to shop around some supra forums. I am not sure if you're in the m340i owners FB group but I'm getting the feeling that you might've answered my question about the Visconti flex fuel kit on there the other day.
Haha. I am in that group, I probably did.
Appreciate 1
KyK102.50