Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum M340i xdrive Ordering delays

Yesterday, 05:01 PM   #1
M340ixuser
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW340i x drive

Question M340i xdrive Ordering delays

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
My wife and I ordered two BMWs. The first one I ordered was a 2024 M340i xDrive, nicely optioned on March 1st, 2024. My wife order her 2025 X5 the first week of April 2024.
I was originally told 8 to 12 weeks delivery time on mine and the X5 possibly a little sooner.
Both vehicles were ordered from BMW dealership in Salt Lake City, Utah. Was told that the X5 will arrive in San Bernardino today with possible delivery by early next week. On the M340i xDrive, they don’t have any idea on a production number or Vin number, let alone an actual vehicle. They called around to multiple other dealerships trying to see if they can trade a VIN number evidently, all to no avail. Anybody else having these types of delivery issues lately? I’m not upset that I won’t be taking delivery in 8 to 12 weeks, but the thing that bothers me, is they have absolutely no idea of any Vin or production number whatsoever, and absolutely no clue when that might occur🤷
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 05:14 PM   #2
TanzaniteIISquad
Rep
Drives: None yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340ixuser View Post
My wife and I ordered two BMWs. The first one I ordered was a 2024 M340i xDrive, nicely optioned on March 1st, 2024. My wife order her 2025 X5 the first week of April 2024.
I was originally told 8 to 12 weeks delivery time on mine and the X5 possibly a little sooner.
Both vehicles were ordered from BMW dealership in Salt Lake City, Utah. Was told that the X5 will arrive in San Bernardino today with possible delivery by early next week. On the M340i xDrive, they don’t have any idea on a production number or Vin number, let alone an actual vehicle. They called around to multiple other dealerships trying to see if they can trade a VIN number evidently, all to no avail. Anybody else having these types of delivery issues lately? I’m not upset that I won’t be taking delivery in 8 to 12 weeks, but the thing that bothers me, is they have absolutely no idea of any Vin or production number whatsoever, and absolutely no clue when that might occur🤷
I went through the same issue. Placed my order with BMW of SF end of December and did not receive allocation for 3 straight months. I kept shopping around in the meantime and found a dealer who was finally able to get me an allocation for week 16.

If you are open to traveling to the bay area to pick up the car, I just had another dealer from BMW Fairfield message me earlier this week saying that they have an allocation. Might be worth a try.
Appreciate 1
      Yesterday, 05:16 PM   #3
darthry
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mazda 3

Sounds like that dealer isn’t getting allocations, and aren’t able to trade for one.

I suggest reaching out to another dealer or two and submitting orders.
The first dealer I checked couldn’t guarantee an allocation and said it could be 3-6 months. Second dealer traded and got me an allocation
Appreciate 1
      Today, 12:27 AM   #4
M340ixuser
Registered
Rep

Not sure how trying to find another dealer with an allocation, works with my local dealer where I placed my deposit with? Do I try to find another dealer with an allocation and then inform my dealer where I have my deposit to try to work out a trade?
Appreciate 0
      Today, 06:08 AM   #5
darthry
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Not sure how trying to find another dealer with an allocation, works with my local dealer where I placed my deposit with? Do I try to find another dealer with an allocation and then inform my dealer where I have my deposit to try to work out a trade?
The unfortunate bit here (if you like your current dealer), is that you’re likely going to end up canceling the order with your dealer.

You’d approach one or two dealers in your area (or how far you’re willing to travel) and inform them you’d like to order an M340i. It’s best to work with dealers that move a lot of cars, as they get more allocations. Negotiate your pricing and say you’d only put down a deposit if they can give you a production number right after. If they cannot guarantee that, they also don’t have allocations and you’d be in the same position.
If they do agree, put in your deposit and cancel the other order.

From what I’ve learned on this sub: Dealers usually know they allocations at the end/start of month.

I think it may be tough getting a MY24 allocation, but not impossible.
You may end up with a MY25 with your dealer, so keep that in mind.
Appreciate 0
      Today, 12:58 PM   #6
M340ixuser
Registered
Rep

First off I want to say thanks to you guys for your efforts to help

My problem is I was told by the dealer here in Salt Lake City, Utah that they expected only an 8 to 12 week wait time, and they required a nonrefundable $2000 deposit. As far as I know, there are only two BMW dealers in the state of Utah and both of them are owned by the same company if I’m not mistaken. I don’t believe they deliberately lied to me about the wait time, as I think they just as flustered as the rest of us.
So unfortunately, it looks like I’m stuck. Who knows maybe I’ll get my 2024 by mid 2025. As per the sales manager, it will be a 2024 and not a 2025, but again who really knows at this point🤷*♂️

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 01:59 PM   #7
darthry
United_States
Rep

Quote:
First off I want to say thanks to you guys for your efforts to help

My problem is I was told by the dealer here in Salt Lake City, Utah that they expected only an 8 to 12 week wait time, and they required a nonrefundable $2000 deposit. As far as I know, there are only two BMW dealers in the state of Utah and both of them are owned by the same company if I’m not mistaken. I don’t believe they deliberately lied to me about the wait time, as I think they just as flustered as the rest of us.
So unfortunately, it looks like I’m stuck. Who knows maybe I’ll get my 2024 by mid 2025. As per the sales manager, it will be a 2024 and not a 2025, but again who really knows at this point🤷*♂️

Thanks again!
Holding a $2000 deposit, making it non-refundable, and not having an allocation is very shady business. Essentially, they are saying “we will take your money for a chance of a car with zero guarantee”.

Without an allocation secured, they cannot commit to saying it’ll be a MY24.

There is another option: engage with a broker. They can find you an allocation and secure a decent amount of MSRP. You’ll come out ahead, even with the broker fee and shipping.

Good luck. Hope you do get your build secured soon!
Appreciate 0
      Today, 03:15 PM   #8
M340ixuser
Registered
Rep

Last new car I bought was 2012. Back then I walked in and placed my order. Car was there in a few days. A bit disgusting how things have changed for the worse. I’ve never used a broker to purchase a car. I’m guessing I just get on Google and start looking for auto brokers in the state of Utah?

Thanks again guys for all all your help. It’s most appreciated!
Appreciate 0