Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340i (and Z4 M40i) test drive by Jaguar F-type owner

06-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #1
Nitromkv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Supra A91 MT, 23 Braptor

M340i (and Z4 M40i) test drive by Jaguar F-type owner

Well to start let me say both cars exceeded my expectations. I was at my local dealer while by buddy was getting tires replaced on his M5, and saw a gorgeous Z4 M40i in the show room next to a base spec M340i (small wheels, base interior).

I drove the Z4 first and wow what a car, It totally blew me away. The Z4 makes 382 horsepower and my F-type makes 380 and the Z4 felt as if it had 50 more horsepower if not even more. In a straight line it would leave my car for dead and I feel like it would keep up with a non comp m3/4. As for the handling- car feels tight and nimble, its not a very light car but does a decent job hiding the weight, steering was quick and heavier then I was used too in BMW's of late. Steering was definitely on the Numb side compared to my car and less precise but still good. Exhaust- wow, wow 9/10. A lot of people claim the F type is one of the best sounding stock exhausts, I'd have to agree. The Z4 is not far behind, while its not as loud, the engine sounds miles better then the S55 and the pops and bangs are great. Didn't get many of the "DSG" farts that the Zf8 is common for making, (my car makes them and I hate it. ) Turbo noise is really good too, everytime you lift up you get flutter and Blow off noise, one of my favorite parts, overall all the noises are just great. Good enough that I could live with it stock, but something like a simple Resonator delete or Downpipe would make it pretty crazy, I'd say stock it was on the level of 340 with MPPSk. Overall I really liked the car but at the end of the day I would still take the Jaguar over it for dynamics and handling, everything else the BMW wins, tech, straight line speed, Im aware there was a $30,000 price gap between the two but the Z4 would make anyone a very happy person.

Now onto the M340i, first off don't drive the Z4 first, you'll be disappointed, but as a car in itself its miles better then the outgoing f30 and I'd say overall a better package then the C43. It was definitely quicker then the f30 but an f80 would take it, Maybe an XDrive off the line would take it to 40 but its not an M3 by any means, definitely room to improve which the new M3 will make up for. Handing wise it feels heavier then the f30 and the steering feels lighter to me. But still a very good chasis and the car is planted will minimal body roll and the turn in is good. Exhaust is more subdued then the Z4 and a lot less turbo noises, but an improvement over the F30 340 for sure. Id say 75% of MPPSK, M performance exhaust will make it sound amazing for sure, or like people generally do, resonator deletes will be more then enough for most, stock would too but if your used to louder cars res delete would probably be the way to go. Interior is nice and very clean and easy to use. Tech like the Z4 is great and the HUD is a nice option. Overall a big improvement over the F30, but it leaves enough room for the m3 and the aftermarket to fill the gaps.

Conclusion- Both cars performed better then I thought, The tech and interiors are worlds ahead of the outgoing models, driving dynamics are also worlds better. My biggest issue with both is the quoted lease numbers are S550 coupe territory. the Z4 with 0 down, 15k miles a year, 36 months was $1350 a month on a $69,000 Car. the 340 wasn't far behind either.
Appreciate 2
Fuller1216.50
      06-13-2019, 10:35 AM   #2
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillipberk View Post
Well to start let me say both cars exceeded my expectations. I was at my local dealer while by buddy was getting tires replaced on his M5, and saw a gorgeous Z4 M40i in the show room next to a base spec M340i (small wheels, base interior).

I drove the Z4 first and wow what a car, It totally blew me away. The Z4 makes 382 horsepower and my F-type makes 380 and the Z4 felt as if it had 50 more horsepower if not even more. In a straight line it would leave my car for dead and I feel like it would keep up with a non comp m3/4. As for the handling- car feels tight and nimble, its not a very light car but does a decent job hiding the weight, steering was quick and heavier then I was used too in BMW's of late. Steering was definitely on the Numb side compared to my car and less precise but still good. Exhaust- wow, wow 9/10. A lot of people claim the F type is one of the best sounding stock exhausts, I'd have to agree. The Z4 is not far behind, while its not as loud, the engine sounds miles better then the S55 and the pops and bangs are great. Didn't get many of the "DSG" farts that the Zf8 is common for making, (my car makes them and I hate it. ) Turbo noise is really good too, everytime you lift up you get flutter and Blow off noise, one of my favorite parts, overall all the noises are just great. Good enough that I could live with it stock, but something like a simple Resonator delete or Downpipe would make it pretty crazy, I'd say stock it was on the level of 340 with MPPSk. Overall I really liked the car but at the end of the day I would still take the Jaguar over it for dynamics and handling, everything else the BMW wins, tech, straight line speed, Im aware there was a $30,000 price gap between the two but the Z4 would make anyone a very happy person.

Now onto the M340i, first off don't drive the Z4 first, you'll be disappointed, but as a car in itself its miles better then the outgoing f30 and I'd say overall a better package then the C43. It was definitely quicker then the f30 but an f80 would take it, Maybe an XDrive off the line would take it to 40 but its not an M3 by any means, definitely room to improve which the new M3 will make up for. Handing wise it feels heavier then the f30 and the steering feels lighter to me. But still a very good chasis and the car is planted will minimal body roll and the turn in is good. Exhaust is more subdued then the Z4 and a lot less turbo noises, but an improvement over the F30 340 for sure. Id say 75% of MPPSK, M performance exhaust will make it sound amazing for sure, or like people generally do, resonator deletes will be more then enough for most, stock would too but if your used to louder cars res delete would probably be the way to go. Interior is nice and very clean and easy to use. Tech like the Z4 is great and the HUD is a nice option. Overall a big improvement over the F30, but it leaves enough room for the m3 and the aftermarket to fill the gaps.

Conclusion- Both cars performed better then I thought, The tech and interiors are worlds ahead of the outgoing models, driving dynamics are also worlds better. My biggest issue with both is the quoted lease numbers are S550 coupe territory. the Z4 with 0 down, 15k miles a year, 36 months was $1350 a month on a $69,000 Car. the 340 wasn't far behind either.
G20 is definitely a big improvement over F30.

Regarding your 1,350 quote-that is outlandish. Are you really shopping for a 69K MSRP(which is 100% fully loaded)? If you settle closer to 62K (well equipped), you could easily land well under 800 and closer to 700/month with no cash due at signing:

http://www.leasehackr.com/calculator...Tax_radio=true
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2019, 10:37 AM   #3
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
Thanks for a good review... I enjoyed reading it few quick comments (1) it is expected that the Z4 would be the more fun car when compared to the M340i (2) The M340i is the perfect balance for anyone who wants a DD with some fun factor, or 4doors with style, or an all season car. In my opinion, the M340i is the optimal choice for a "not garage queen" car

I don't know where you got these numbers from ... I think 🤔 they are much lower with a nice deal and some good negotiation skills you can get either of these cars into a good deal territory
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #4
PandaMobile
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i TB II

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
I'm pretty sure that you can negotiate better deals than that for a 70k car.
Appreciate 1
Pauleebe379.50
      06-13-2019, 10:50 AM   #5
PandaMobile
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i TB II

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuibmw View Post
Thanks for a good review... I enjoyed reading it few quick comments (1) it is expected that the Z4 would be the more fun car when compared to the M340i (2) The M340i is the perfect balance for anyone who wants a DD with some fun factor, or 4doors with style, or an all season car. In my opinion, the M340i is the optimal choice for a "not garage queen" car

I don't know where you got these numbers from ... I think 🤔 they are much lower with a nice deal and some good negotiation skills you can get either of these cars into a good deal territory
This is why I went with the M340i its the happy medium for me.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 10:54 AM   #6
Nitromkv
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Supra A91 MT, 23 Braptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauleebe View Post
G20 is definitely a big improvement over F30.

Regarding your 1,350 quote-that is outlandish. Are you really shopping for a 69K MSRP(which is 100% fully loaded)? If you settle closer to 62K (well equipped), you could easily land well under 800 and closer to 700/month with no cash due at signing:

http://www.leasehackr.com/calculator...Tax_radio=true
Oh I believe it, the number was ridiculous, they gave me the brand new car this is a good deal BS, again pulled up in a $150,000 M5 Comp, with the loudest exhaust and stickers possible and a Jaguar F-type, I wouldn't be surprised if they thought they could give us any number and thought we'd just say sure.
Appreciate 0