Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK UK - Off Topic Non run flat

12-29-2023, 01:17 PM   #23
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyTo View Post
Hit a pot hole, which didn’t feel terribly hard but hard enough to blow the side wall out of the run flat tyre. I had Bridgestones on from factory and wasn’t very impressed with them so wasn’t too upset about the forced change.

Left stranded and ringing round for a tyre in stock all I could find was a pair of non run flat MPS4, which is the tyre I’d buy anyway, what a difference. Less noise, the little bumps are much less noticeable, turn in feels better and the grip feels better giving more confidence.

So will be getting the rears changed out soon as I can even though the bridgestones have at least 5mm of tread. The run flats did get me the 7 miles to ATS but for difference in feel and grip I’m prepared to run the risk of non run flat tyres. I changed out to non-RFT on my F31 and remember the difference being night and day, I was told the latest RFT’s are better, and they are, but still a good non-RFT is far superior, all imho of course.

Without a long winded story, BMW assistance were awful, won’t even bother calling them again.
Very interesting and thanks for posting. I ordered my 840d coupe with non-RFTs as I thought the ride would be a little more compliant than the demonstrator fitted with standard RFTs which I had out for 24hrs but I didn't notice any appreciable difference.
After about 3k miles I hit a pothole and ended up with a huge sidewall bulge which I thought the thicker sidewall on RFTs might prevent but, from your experience, that's debatable!
I couldn't really justify ditching the other three horrible but almost new Bridgestone Potenzas so I bought another new one and have been looking for a decent alternative ever since.
Two things I hate about the B'stones are 1, the intrusive noise and 2, the low speed tread block thumping and juddering at anywhere near full lock below about 10°C. Really unnerving when I first felt it but it's a known issue.
I was recently looking at the Michelins and now that I've done over 6k miles I'm looking for an excuse to change all four - how long have you had the MPS4s and are you still happy with them?
Appreciate 0