Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK M340i Break In Period Query

11-22-2021, 03:15 PM   #1
Kano
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

M340i Break In Period Query

Hi Guys,

I’m through the 1200 miles with reasonable restraint.
Car is now able to come alive, exhaust is sounding much better too.

Does anyone think the ‘M’ car recommended oil change is worth it on a light?

Planning to keep the car for awhile so want to look after it.
If so is it just engine oil or diff and transmission too?

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 03:19 PM   #2
Carbon dude
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 320D 2019, current M340i

My understanding is no oil change. Its not in the manual for the M340i and only for the M cars.
Mine is at 1900 and I'm not changing the oil.
Appreciate 1
themnmd1691.00
      11-22-2021, 05:24 PM   #3
fedortche
Rep
Drives: Doesnt matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kano View Post

Does anyone think the ‘M’ car recommended oil change is worth it on a light?

Planning to keep the car for awhile so want to look after it.
I second the question... Was thinking about it
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 08:10 PM   #4
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

I did oil (engine and LSD) at 1500ish - I figured it couldn't hurt. That said I also flashed my car with MP before I hit a 1000
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 09:42 PM   #5
BklynNYBMW
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: "24 X6M60i / "21 m340i xdrive

I just hit 5276 miles on mine. No oil change as of yet. I will just wait until the car tells me it is due - lol
__________________________________________________ _______________________
2017 X6 5.0 MSport, Carbon Black Metallic w/ black leather. All options except vented seats and B/O sound system. AKA the Tumbler
2021 M340i xdrive. Tanzanite Blue with W/Oyster with Red Calipers. All options except Adaptive M suspension, Driver Assistance Professional Package, Cooling and High Performance Tire package. AKA Blue Angel
*Retired 04/30/21: 2018 340i MSport Xdrive sedan. Glacier Silver w/Oyster. All options except active cruise control and window shades. AKA Airstream
Appreciate 1
      11-23-2021, 02:09 AM   #6
tyranniux
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

I'm thinking about this also, if for no other reason that I think with all the mess about on my order so far that I might try and push for a free oil change for the trouble. Can't hurt to ask
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 02:43 AM   #7
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon dude View Post
My understanding is no oil change. Its not in the manual for the M340i and only for the M cars.
My 440i is completely my up to 5200 miles and says oil service in another 15000 miles (although that could change depending on driving conditions over time) but I’m not inclined to have an oil change done as yet. I’ve always stuck to the service schedule for every one of the twenty or so BMWs I’ve had over the past forty years and have never had any issues.
As for diff and transmission oils, never ever changed them but then again never ran a BMW for more than about 45k miles over the years.
BMW state the diff and transmission oils are ‘sealed for life’….hmm?…not entirely convinced by that however still wouldn’t be thinking about changing either of those until the car had several tens of thousands of miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 02:45 AM   #8
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

First sentence above should read ‘coming up to’……bloody predictive text on iPhones!
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 04:07 AM   #9
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

I think I read that ZF recommend a transmission oil change at some point and agree that no matter how good an oil is whether synthetic or not, it can't last for ever.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 05:14 AM   #10
Riccardog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320i Touring MSport

Personally I think that service intervals on new cars are too long. I suspect they're there to keep down ownership costs for leasing type buyers. I think they're setup to benefit short and medium term ownership (like the person above that's never done more than 45k mi in any of his 40 BMWs) but not long-term owners (100k+ mi / 10 yrs).

Appreciate that synthetic oils are resilient, but modern engines are complex and strained, think high pressure turbos, tight tolerances, etc.

I like to keep my cars for long; my current plan is to keep my G21 for ~10 years. With this in view, I've decided that, come 1 year, I will have an oil/filter/microfilter change. An "interim" service I believe in BMW lingo. By then I'll have ~6k miles on the car. Thereafter I'll have the interim oil change done every other year, alternating with the scheduled services. I've spent several dozen thousand £, I am OK to spend an additional £300 a year to have the oil changed.

To complicate things, there used to be a theory that the factory oil fill had additional additives to allow for initial breaking in. I really have no idea if this was ever true, if it still holds today, and what the impact of it would be...

Differential I agree with above, not required. Its a low stress / heat item and probably only needs oil changing due to age more than anything.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 05:31 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardog View Post
Personally I think that service intervals on new cars are too long.

To complicate things, there used to be a theory that the factory oil fill had additional additives to allow for initial breaking in. I really have no idea if this was ever true, if it still holds today, and what the impact of it would be...
I've been running interim oil changes, except this last two years, when mileage was virtually nothing. Still 13,000 miles showing when oil was changed. My dealer did it for about £155.

Interesting comment on the additional additives, not seen any data on this subject for recent BMW engines.

When I was running VW back around 2000, I was wanting an early oil change for a new Passat PD TDi. Dealer showed me a data sheet, where VW clearly stated, not to change the oil early, as it was filled with a break-in oil.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 07:46 AM   #12
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

My 2021 M340i recommended an oil change after about 10k miles and 4 months, and of course the dealer did it for free. I did a lot of highway driving in the summer, but I don’t know if that affected the CBS recommendations for oil change interval.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 03:37 PM   #13
Kano
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the reply’s and opinions, appreciate it.

I understand sticking to the recommended service intervals, but have a slight niggle about any small metal fines in the oil, even with precision engineered parts.

Guess I will see what my dealer wants to charge me for the pleasure and decide from there.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 03:49 AM   #14
Riccardog
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Could you please let us know what they come back with price-wise?

Also interested to know how, if at all, it gets recorded as part of the sh given its not within the scheduled work.

I'm curious as I'll be doing this too come 1yr of my car in July next year.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2021, 01:01 PM   #15
Kano
United Kingdom
Rep

No worries.

I’ve asked the question.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 11:05 AM   #16
Kano
United Kingdom
Rep

Cost for out of services oil change

Response from my dealer is:-

“ I spoke with my service manager regarding the oil change, and his honest advise was not to do this as it won’t really benefit the car, but if you did want to have this done our cost would be £245.”

Think it would be noted as a customer request on your service plan.
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2021, 11:13 AM   #17
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon dude View Post
+ 1 did not change till computer said so
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 11:49 AM   #18
Riccardog
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Response from my dealer is:-

“ I spoke with my service manager regarding the oil change, and his honest advise was not to do this as it won’t really benefit the car, but if you did want to have this done our cost would be £245.”

Think it would be noted as a customer request on your service plan.
Thanks for letting me know. Will you go ahead?

Btw, on a related matter, here are some views from another guy on car maintenance.

https://stillrunningstrong.com/car-m...ance-schedule/
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 01:09 PM   #19
Kano
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the info.

Guess its personal preference, I not saying spending money sooner than service recommendation is necessary, but some of the guys on this thread do say there is metal fines in the oil.

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1620478

So I probably will go ahead for piece of mind, maybe reduce the cost by supplying my own oil.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 02:04 PM   #20
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

I’ve been following this thread with some interest and I’m just wondering why some think an oil change prior to the recommended mileage and/or time would be necessary?
BMW have undoubtably spent hundreds of thousands or Euros (if not millions over the years) on R & D with their engines and arrived at what they consider to be the most necessary/suitable intervals for the servicing schedule for them. What makes us think we know better, other than for our preferred individual peace of mind?
If we’re talking about a new car and in the (very unlikely event) of a catostrophic engine failure, despite their recommended servicing schedule having been followed, requiring a new engine being fitted under warranty which would clearly apply under those circumstances would that not necessarily be a bad thing?
I for one would accept those particular circumstances and be happy to start again with a new engine!
I would have thought the question we should really be asking is why do the ‘M’ Power engines in the M3/M4 need that ‘running- in’ oil change? What’s so different to the B58 ‘M’ Performance engine?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 03:02 PM   #21
Kano
United Kingdom
Rep

Agree, that goes back to my original query on why is it not recommended on a 40i B58.

Perhaps the higher tune, engine strain and expected driving styles on the M3/4 cars.

Regardless of BMW R&D & commercial appeal maintenance sweet spot.
It seems when people that have carried out early changes, confirm the metal fines, which are detrimental to engine wear.

IMO this is acceptable in the BMW warranty vs service intervals for the M “lights”

As my dealers response, not recommended, but it does make me think if leaving the metal in would this have abrasive effects that would potentially only become apparent after the warranty period is over.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 03:59 PM   #22
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Agree, that goes back to my original query on why is it not recommended on a 40i B58.

Perhaps the higher tune, engine strain and expected driving styles on the M3/4 cars.

Regardless of BMW R&D & commercial appeal maintenance sweet spot.
It seems when people that have carried out early changes, confirm the metal fines, which are detrimental to engine wear.

IMO this is acceptable in the BMW warranty vs service intervals for the M “lights”

As my dealers response, not recommended, but it does make me think if leaving the metal in would this have abrasive effects that would potentially only become apparent after the warranty period is over.
I’d be very interested to know the extent/amount of metal fines BMW expect to be accumulated during the running in/bedding down period for the B58 engine and what long term effects that could potentially cause to the longevity of the engine?
I also wonder if they have done any long term high mileage research on the engine?
I’m guessing we will probably never get to know that unless as you say problems start to manifest themselves long after the warranty period has expired.
In that latter regard I will be intending to continue with the extended warranty after the three years are up as I’ve done with all my past cars that have had turbocharged engines. That together with a full service history I would hope would provide a sound basis for a future warranty claim.
Appreciate 0