Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Which TPMS to buy?

05-25-2021, 04:55 PM   #1
Cookies
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport Xdrive

Which TPMS to buy?

Hi all
Looking for some further advice, please.
I've seen several sets of rims advertised on-line, but none of them appear to have Tpms valves fitted.
I've had a look on ebay, and there are so many variations of TPMS, and hugely varying prices, I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Do the TPMS valves for the F series cars work on the G Series?
Cheers
Cooks
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2021, 11:08 PM   #2
ko450
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21.M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookies View Post
Hi all
Looking for some further advice, please.
I've seen several sets of rims advertised on-line, but none of them appear to have Tpms valves fitted.
I've had a look on ebay, and there are so many variations of TPMS, and hugely varying prices, I'd appreciate any thoughts.
Do the TPMS valves for the F series cars work on the G Series?
Cheers
Cooks
Wondering the same for a 2021 g20.
Found oem part number.
But I am wondering if they are somewhat universal part. They all look the same
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 02:40 AM   #3
HeebieJeebies
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 320d xdrive, G22M440i xdri

I’d go through the stealers, my and a friends recent experience has been a bit of a journey full of mambo jumbo.

Frequency levels are the main bugbear, with different markets operating different frequencies but selling on the same platforms, eBay etc. Even with OEM part numbers, I’d still go through the stealers, get them to fit them as well.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 04:16 AM   #4
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeebieJeebies View Post
I’d go through the stealers, my and a friends recent experience has been a bit of a journey full of mambo jumbo.

Frequency levels are the main bugbear, with different markets operating different frequencies but selling on the same platforms, eBay etc. Even with OEM part numbers, I’d still go through the stealers, get them to fit them as well.
Me too! With all the discussions on here about tyres I wouldn’t even contemplate adding TPMS issues into the mix!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 11:27 AM   #5
ko450
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
Quote:

Me too! With all the discussions on here about tyres I wouldn’t even contemplate adding TPMS issues into the mix!
So any 433mhz would fit. Or do I gotta follow part number from dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 11:47 AM   #6
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko450 View Post
So any 433mhz would fit. Or do I gotta follow part number from dealer.
With an M340i (I’m assuming it’s Xdrive?) then with all the chat about tyres and the like I personally wouldn’t want to introduce any potential additional issues from incorrect TPMS sensors. If it were my car I’d be sticking with genuine BMW ones for what it’s worth, even if just from a warranty angle?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 05:16 PM   #7
HeebieJeebies
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 320d xdrive, G22M440i xdri

Quote:
With an M340i (I’m assuming it’s Xdrive?) then with all the chat about tyres and the like I personally wouldn’t want to introduce any potential additional issues from incorrect TPMS sensors. If it were my car I’d be sticking with genuine BMW ones for what it’s worth, even if just from a warranty angle?
Agreed.

OP, even if it’s not a warranty issue, with your VIN, you’ll get exactly what’s required. It may be a little bit more expensive (?).

Not as expensive as having to get tyres whipped off again, if the damn things don’t sync! Or they’re cheap knockoffs

I certainly wouldn’t fit “any” 433mhz, ask the parts dept for a discount as well, most are happy to oblige
Appreciate 1
bmnut810.50
      11-26-2021, 06:21 PM   #8
ko450
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Agreed.

OP, even if it’s not a warranty issue, with your VIN, you’ll get exactly what’s required. It may be a little bit more expensive (?).

Not as expensive as having to get tyres whipped off again, if the damn things don’t sync! Or they’re cheap knockoffs

I certainly wouldn’t fit “any” 433mhz, ask the parts dept for a discount as well, most are happy to oblige
I have no problem going oem. But the local dealer charging 150$ per. I found a set on Kijiji for 200. Brand new. 433mhz. Just not sure if part numbers need to match

Dealer didn't really want to answer my question on if the ones I found would fit my car.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 08:41 PM   #9
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ko450 View Post
I have no problem going oem. But the local dealer charging 150$ per. I found a set on Kijiji for 200. Brand new. 433mhz. Just not sure if part numbers need to match

Dealer didn't really want to answer my question on if the ones I found would fit my car.
The price quoted by your dealer per unit converts to about the same cost for them here over the pond. I’m assuming that’s supplied and fitted so it involves removing a tyre, fitting the TPMS valve and sensor, re-balancing the wheel, re-fitting to the car and then coding it to the car so you get the tyre information displayed in the iDrive?
So if you were to buy them from a third party supplier all the above you would still need to have done by a dealer presumably?
200$ for a set of 4? I’d be asking myself how can they do them at that price.
Unfortunately due to the complexity of the cars nowadays running them doesn’t come cheap I’m afraid.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2021, 09:04 PM   #10
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Just been looking up some past prices out of curiosity and about 4 years ago my daughter had to have TPMS valves fitted to a set of winter tyres she had for her then new 1 series hatchback and at the time they cost me £450 (about 700$?)!
Yes you’re right in what you’re probably thinking it was ‘Bank of Dad’ !
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 04:52 AM   #11
Rhino at Work
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G21 330i Portimao Blue

Those prices are off the scale! I bought a set of virtually immaculate 790m wheels to make a winter set including TPMS for just £750 on ebay.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 08:23 AM   #12
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino at Work View Post
Those prices are off the scale! I bought a set of virtually immaculate 790m wheels to make a winter set including TPMS for just £750 on ebay.
Daughters eh?.....got to love 'em!
To be fair she had a set of winter wheels and tyres but without TPMS valves fitted and they needed to go on to her then new 1 series which had the tyre pressure monitoring system in the iDrive. If they had been fitted without the valves then the iDrive would permanently show a tyre warning and she'd just get to the stage of completely ignoring it wouldn't even be aware a tyre was losing pressure until it was potentially too late, and as for regularly manually checking the tyre pressures on her car...nah! never going' to happen!
Being that she lives and works North of the Border and couldn't get down to my dealer she had to use a Scotland dealer close to her home. Clearly they took in to account they had to remove the tyres from the rims, fit the TPMS valves, re-balance each individual wheel and code each sensor to the iDrive. Still bloody expensive bearing in mind the wheel and tyre set had only cost £750 the previous year but since she had already had the work done dad was just presented with the bill for re-imbursement! Had she been here in the North East the outcome would have been very different!
She needed to get it done ASAP and I wanted her to be safe (or at least potentially safer) with the RFTs as she works shiftwork.
Purely by fate within a month she was travelling home, 2am, pitch black M9 and pissing down. Got a puncture and got home safely. Turned out to be worth every (exorbitant!) penny even if shit happens!
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 06:09 AM   #13
Lorcan
The artist formerly known as AC Schnitzer UK
Rep
Drives: The Yellow Peril

There are different sensors according to which DSC module your car has fitted. BMW have more than one supplier of these and the TPMS need to match the module. The only way to check this is with the VIN number.

We offer a set of four, whichever you need, for £156.26 inc vat and UK mainland delivery.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0