Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions BMW CPO question

12-03-2021, 09:51 AM   #1
Dsword
A Car Nut
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i XDrive

BMW CPO question

I bought my 2021 G22 about 3 weeks ago, November 11th. It is BMW CPO with 7000 miles, placed in service December of 2020.

A week ago I got a notification that an oil change is due in December. There is no record of fluid service since December 2020.

My question is - Is an oil change not part of the BMW CPO process? Seems strange that the dealership did not take care of this before the sale.

Thanks -
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 10:30 AM   #2
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
I absolutely agree the dealership should have changed the oil prior to the sale. Normally the maintenance plan does not transfer to subsequent owners after the original owner. However, you may be able to purchase an extension of the maintenance plan to yourself. I was able to do that with the CPO that I purchased. It was $100 to do the transfer, so it was really a no-brainer.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

12-03-2021, 01:18 PM   #3
Dsword
A Car Nut
United_States
Rep

Previous Owner

I think I'll call the dealership as I have not been able to find a definitive answer online as to whether the certification process includes a fluid check\change.

Just my opinion, but it's not great customer service to sell it with a month left on the oil change timer. That being said, I did not inquire about the next due date either, so that's on me. I surely would have asked for that done first. The dealership is a "one best price" store, so they may have charged me for it anyway...

The previous owner trades in his cars in the 8 to 12 month range, so he doesn't buy the maintenance agreement. I also trade in the 12 to 18 month range, so I did not purchase the $2200 maintenance agreement offered to me.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 02:55 PM   #4
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsword View Post

The previous owner trades in his cars in the 8 to 12 month range, so he doesn't buy the maintenance agreement. I also trade in the 12 to 18 month range, so I did not purchase the $2200 maintenance agreement offered to me.
Just to clarify, the maintenance plan I was referring to was the three year plan that is included in the new car purchase. That plan is only valid for the original owner, but it appears they’ll let you “transfer” the plan for a small fee. You might check your My BMW app to see if it’s listed there as an option for you. That’s how I found out it was available to me.

12-04-2021, 12:14 PM   #5
Dsword
A Car Nut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Just to clarify, the maintenance plan I was referring to was the three year plan that is included in the new car purchase. That plan is only valid for the original owner, but it appears they’ll let you “transfer” the plan for a small fee. You might check your My BMW app to see if it’s listed there as an option for you. That’s how I found out it was available to me.
Ah, thank you, I did misunderstand you. I wasn't aware of that being included in a new purchase.

I scrolled through the entire app and didn't see anything pertaining to a maintenance plan. An offer to transfer it was not offered to me, only a new plan. I do have a message in with the salesman. I'll see if that nudges him in the direction of some additional customer service.

It could be, I suppose, that the oil was changed but the technician forgot to reset the timer in the car.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 12:52 PM   #6
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Ah, thank you, I did misunderstand you. I wasn't aware of that being included in a new purchase.

I scrolled through the entire app and didn't see anything pertaining to a maintenance plan. An offer to transfer it was not offered to me, only a new plan. I do have a message in with the salesman. I'll see if that nudges him in the direction of some additional customer service.

It could be, I suppose, that the oil was changed but the technician forgot to reset the timer in the car.
You might want to call the service department directly to inquire about the maintenance plan extension. I found out about it from the My BMW app, but I confirmed it with my service department and I had to physically go in to sign some paperwork and pay the $100.

Last edited by tturedraider; 12-04-2021 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
Dsword1.50
      12-04-2021, 01:34 PM   #7
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Here at the dealerships I've gone to, apparently they only allow lease returns and CPO buys after the original owner changes oil/brake pads/whatever the idrive says is required. If not, they'll make the owner either pay for it (if it's a lease return) or reduce the amount they pay you (if they're buying it from you for a CPO sale later on).
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2021, 09:47 AM   #8
Dsword
A Car Nut
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
You might want to call the service department directly to inquire about the maintenance plan extension. I found out about it from the My BMW app, but I confirmed it with my service department and I had to physically go in to sign some paperwork and pay the $100.
tturedraider - Thank you for your suggestion! I did call directly to a service adviser and he checked my car in the system, stating yes he could offer me the maintenance plan transfer for $100 and we can take care of it next week when I bring the car in for service. Excellent result!
      12-10-2021, 03:48 PM   #9
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
tturedraider - Thank you for your suggestion! I did call directly to a service adviser and he checked my car in the system, stating yes he could offer me the maintenance plan transfer for $100 and we can take care of it next week when I bring the car in for service. Excellent result!
That’s great news!!