Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Exhaust tune for a M340i

12-03-2021, 03:08 PM   #1
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Exhaust tune for a M340i

Test drove a 2022 M340i recently and the sales rep told me that the new 48 mild hybrid made the car a lot quieter now. There were no pops/bangs or burbles...

Is there a simple tune that would allow some pops/bangs and burbles without being too obnoxious nor really changing anything else out from factory specs?

Everything else was great but really would like some noise to get all the senses going.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 06:14 PM   #2
Portimao Blues
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive Sedan

Yes, its called an aftermarket exhaust! There is no simple tune per se. Many of us are praying for a software update from BMW that may return some of the pops and burbles, but it looks unlikely. There are numerous conversations on the forum on this topic. Do a search and you will see how others have addressed this. One popular solution is the BMW M-Performance Exhaust. Good luck!
2021 M340i xDrive Sedan | Portimao Blue Metallic | Cognac Vernasca Leather | Maple Matte Finish Wood Trim | 19-Inch 792M Wheels | Red Brake Calipers | Premium Package | Driving Assistance Package | Adaptive M Suspension | Harman/Kardon Surround Sound | Painted Rear Spoiler (Z50)
2014 335i xDrive Sedan | M-Sport | Estoril Blue Metallic | Venetian Beige Leather (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 08:54 AM   #3
BMW012
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M550i CBM/Ivory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portimao Blues View Post
Yes, its called an aftermarket exhaust! There is no simple tune per se. Many of us are praying for a software update from BMW that may return some of the pops and burbles, but it looks unlikely. There are numerous conversations on the forum on this topic. Do a search and you will see how others have addressed this. One popular solution is the BMW M-Performance Exhaust. Good luck!
thanks! where does one get a M-performance exhaust? I don't see it on the BMW website. Do most get it after they pick up the car as opposed to at the dealership prior to pick up? Would be nice if they just had it as an factory option like the AMGs as part of the build.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 09:24 AM   #4
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

There is another sub forum here where we talk about exhausts. I recommend going there
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 11:10 AM   #5
S58King
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 CX

A new exhaust isn’t going to really change pops/burbles just make it louder. I would wait for a burble tune release to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 02:35 PM   #6
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

As others have mentioned a new exhaust will impact volume and tone to some degree but that's about it. Keep in mind our M340s are already dual piped and non resonated from the downpipe back - so "exhausts" for our cars really come down to mufflers and maybe a little additional tubing

The significant difference you are referring to is a result of DME (your cars CPU) tuning. The factory in 2020 made the exhaust more aggressive vs subsequent years - some think this is great some don't (it's obviously subjective with no right or wrong answer)

I am currently testing the Mission Performance IOS App on my 2020 and as I understand it MP will be bringing to market an exhaust only tune that does not touch engine performance - but rather gives owners the ability to modify their exhaust's aggressiveness. And will offer it at a very low price point. Owners will be able to upgrade to engine performance for an additional fee if they decide they want to add that at a future point so that flexibility is cool imho

Presently my 2020 pops, bangs, burps on upshifts etc and is generally obnoxious in sport + and quiets down to church like in comfort - but again this is the result of DME tuning - and is simply how I have my exhaust set up for now (my catted downpipe running through the stock muffler only amplifies all this)

The elephant in the room is that with the 21's + still not with a viable public ready crack (i don't consider sending your DME to Russia viable - especially when it can easily be locked again and need to go back to Russia) it may be some time before it is available but when it is I think it'll hit the sweet spot for many people

That said - granted this will be a DME modification so your car may be flagged (just like with any flash or piggyback) but I think with the engine parameters only being manipulated for the exhaust any warranty concerns are probably low on the concern list - especially considering what the factory did on their own warrantied cars in 2020

Just my 2-cents - hope this helps

Last edited by chenry; 12-04-2021 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 1
deoxys37.50
      12-09-2021, 03:10 AM   #7
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
That said - granted this will be a DME modification so your car may be flagged (just like with any flash or piggyback)
On Mission Performance's page listing the features of their B58 tune, there are two features that maybe you can shed some light on:

-DME Tampering Shadow code disable

Does this feature hide the fact the DME had an aftermarket tune loaded in it?

-EEPROM Memory backup

Does this give the user the ability to flash the car back to stock tune prior to a dealer visit?

I know Alex is working on some amazing stuff & your posts about the experience at his shop is very helpful. Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0