Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Warranty question with exhaust mod?

11-27-2021, 09:22 AM   #1
TupperBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M850i Gran Coupe

Warranty question with exhaust mod?

Coming from the Porsche world where exhaust mods typically do not risk one’s warranty as long as you don’t tune your car or do any engine mods, what has been BMW’s behavior on this particular issue?

I’m getting my AWE exhaust in a few months and plan no other mods.

On a separate note, is it true that BMW dealers don’t install aftermarket parts on their own cars? That’s what one dealer told me
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 10:14 AM   #2
Nai1ZuTe
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M550i

Exhaust mod shouldn't affect warranty, but BMW can claim that the exhaust causes an issue to other systems on your car, which is very rare.

I previously asked several BMW dealers around New England and they no longer install aftermarket parts. One of the dealers is listed as Dinan's certified dealership yet they told me they have stopped installing Dinan parts.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2021, 11:40 PM   #3
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
My understanding is if it's cat back then it's ok. If you start taking out a cat or adding headers then I would think it would void the warranty. Besides,doing that would cause a CEL and require coding to fix. Again which would be noticed by the service tech
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 07:23 PM   #4
BMW in NE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nai1ZuTe View Post
Exhaust mod shouldn't affect warranty, but BMW can claim that the exhaust causes an issue to other systems on your car, which is very rare.

I previously asked several BMW dealers around New England and they no longer install aftermarket parts. One of the dealers is listed as Dinan's certified dealership yet they told me they have stopped installing Dinan parts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nai1ZuTe View Post

The BMW dealer in Maine still installs Dinan parts
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2021, 09:18 PM   #5
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

This type of question up comes up frequently, and it’s usually because someone doesn’t understand the scope of warranty claims.

For example, if you have a special performance “tune” installed on your car it could affect all of the engine management systems, and that might lead to damage to the engine and directly related components. However, after getting a tune the failure of items like the alternator, water pump, suspension components, etc. would usually still be covered.

Bottom line - The risks from installing a performance exhaust, especially a cat back system, should be relatively limited in scope, although that assessment is up to the dealer and BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 09:11 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bc2005 View Post
This type of question up comes up frequently, and it’s usually because someone doesn’t understand the scope of warranty claims.

For example, if you have a special performance “tune” installed on your car it could affect all of the engine management systems, and that might lead to damage to the engine and directly related components. However, after getting a tune the failure of items like the alternator, water pump, suspension components, etc. would usually still be covered.

Bottom line - The risks from installing a performance exhaust, especially a cat back system, should be relatively limited in scope, although that assessment is up to the dealer and BMW.
+1

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2021, 10:54 AM   #7
psaav
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340 xDrive

My dealer told me that BMW doesn't have a formal "affiliation" with Dinan anymore but they would honor warranty and install an aftermarket Dinan exhaust for me because I bought my M340 from them.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2021, 08:15 AM   #8
gdaddy28
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by psaav View Post
My dealer told me that BMW doesn't have a formal "affiliation" with Dinan anymore but they would honor warranty and install an aftermarket Dinan exhaust for me because I bought my M340 from them.
I wouldn't worry too much. I had an intake, charge pipe, and turbo inlet pipe installed when I took my m340i to the dealer in October. They serviced the car and all was well. When I got it back, my CEL was on and had a drive train malfunction error message on the dash. Long story short, the radiator blinds went bad (car has 4K miles) and they replaced all for free under warranty without any questions. Clearly they saw the intake and charge pipe when they serviced the car and changed the radiator blinds. That was my experience at least.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 09:25 AM   #9
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340xi

Just ask ur service advisor a "hypothetical" question, if they tell u no, then find another dealership. I had one place complain about having a dinan midpipe on my f30 lol, two other dealers told me if I have a downpipe they don't care, but if they suspected it was a problem they would tell me to bring it back stock and they wouldn't make note of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 04:42 PM   #10
Boostisfun
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: ‘21 M340i Xdrive

The only thing it would void would be a failed component that was directly effected by the modification.

However, be mindful that every time you go to the dealer now for any performance issues that they will automatically scan your vehicle to see if it’s been tuned and it will void any related concern(s). As long as it’s just bolt-ons without a tune the dealer won’t care.
Appreciate 0