Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Driving on AC on or off?

11-29-2021, 07:04 PM   #23
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
I had my E90 for 10+ years, only turned on the AC when needed; never experienced any smell whatsoever. Don't quite understand the argument of leaving the AC on at all times. I use mine as needed. I wind down and get natural air every now and then.
I usually turn off my G20 fan, as I can't figure out how to turn off AC independently.

In general NorCal weather is more arid than UK weather. The only time I need AC is when windshield fogs up from the inside on cold days/nights.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 03:30 AM   #24
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I had my E90 for 10+ years, only turned on the AC when needed; never experienced any smell whatsoever. Don't quite understand the argument of leaving the AC on at all times. I use mine as needed. I wind down and get natural air every now and then.
It is in the name... "Climate Control". Gives the most comfortable cabin and temperature stability, with minimum airflows.

Of course a lot will depend on our climate. Mine fits right in the middle of where the full system is a benefit in all seasons. Temperature fluctuations, many days with high humidity. Allows 'set and forget' use, no misting, best cabin atmosphere.

Switching 'on and off' in my type of environment, many AC intermittent users suffer with smells due to bacterial build-up.
Appreciate 1
jmg18493.00
      11-30-2021, 10:26 AM   #25
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Quote:
It is in the name... "Climate Control". Gives the most comfortable cabin and temperature stability, with minimum airflows.

Of course a lot will depend on our climate. Mine fits right in the middle of where the full system is a benefit in all seasons. Temperature fluctuations, many days with high humidity. Allows 'set and forget' use, no misting, best cabin atmosphere.

Switching 'on and off' in my type of environment, many AC intermittent users suffer with smells due to bacterial build-up.
I can't get past a cold motor turning on the compressor at cold start (maybe I'm old school.) But to each their own. I live in a part of California that doesn't necessitate leaving the AC on at all times. So yeah I guess the answer to this post is "it depends."
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:22 AM   #26
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
I can't get past a cold motor turning on the compressor at cold start (maybe I'm old school.) But to each their own. I live in a part of California that doesn't necessitate leaving the AC on at all times. So yeah I guess the answer to this post is "it depends."
What's the thinking behind a cold start? I'm a cautious guy, but see no reason to deactivate our latest variable output compressors. Engine will be stable before any real load on the compressor. HVAC system takes a few seconds to set the working parameters.

If anything I'm more aware of the alternator load, which can be high. I see many who care less about the alternator load, everything on from a start. But again, where is the issue? A little load on a cold engine is not a thing to be concerned about, can even be a good thing, speeds the warmup phase.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 11:42 AM   #27
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
What's the thinking behind a cold start? I'm a cautious guy, but see no reason to deactivate our latest variable output compressors. Engine will be stable before any real load on the compressor. HVAC system takes a few seconds to set the working parameters.

If anything I'm more aware of the alternator load, which can be high. I see many who care less about the alternator load, everything on from a start. But again, where is the issue? A little load on a cold engine is not a thing to be concerned about, can even be a good thing, speeds the warmup phase.
Yeah like I said I may be old school but to each their own. I don't want that load on cold start and certainly not on a long term keeper. We could argue that these modern machines can handle everything. More importantly I don't have the need to keep the climate control/AC on at all times primarily because of where I live. I'm already accustomed to turning it on as needed. Old habits. Nothing to do with gas.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2021, 04:17 PM   #28
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

A/C should only be used for company.

FWIW - full auto here year around, I'm always comfortable, clear windshields, no smells, no compressor problems and no fiddling except an occasional temp change here and there
      12-04-2021, 11:22 AM   #29
SoCalM340i
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 BMW M340i xDrive

A/C off unless it's hot enough. Auto Air circulation. So far, so good in So Cal.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 01:58 PM   #30
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.83]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
It depends on your region, but even here in dry Southern California, AC should be left on all year round even in 40 degree weather. There is a misconception that AC is only to keep the cabin cold. That's not true. AC is a dehumidifier. Turning off the AC increases the chance for bacteria and mold to grow in the vents and the cabin. AC is also what defogs your windshield, not just the heat. The heat is primarily to counter the cooling effects of AC.

Maybe you open your windows often or your car is in a nice dry garage at night, which is why your car never got the moldy smell. Or maybe you just don't notice it because it's your car?

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 02:46 PM   #31
tturedraider
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmg View Post
It depends on your region, but even here in dry Southern California, AC should be left on all year round even in 40 degree weather. There is a misconception that AC is only to keep the cabin cold. That's not true. AC is a dehumidifier. Turning off the AC increases the chance for bacteria and mold to grow in the vents and the cabin. AC is also what defogs your windshield, not just the heat. The heat is primarily to counter the cooling effects of AC.

Maybe you open your windows often or your car is in a nice dry garage at night, which is why your car never got the moldy smell. Or maybe you just don't notice it because it's your car?
If you don’t keep the car set to recirculating air the a/c is not necessary to keep the windows from fogging up. Getting fresh air into the cabin is the key not to have fogging when the heat is on.
member #388003 - Use me as a referral
& you could win a one day ///M Driving School!!

12-06-2021, 02:46 PM   #32
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Nope I don't have a garage. I have other family members who drive the car no reported smell. I still have the E90 in the household; I'm not sure what your logic is that maybe I don't smell it because it's my car. But I can confirm there is no smell. I turn it on to defog the windshield and leave it running but when I get home or to my destination I turn it off. Only comes on when I need it. I'm not asking others to do the same I'm simply saying I run mine manually and I don't have any mold/bacteria/smell and I have no reason to leave it permanently running
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 03:30 PM   #33
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

I'm not sure there's any difference between the car, or the user activating the AC compressor. Leave the button on if you don't want to think about it. Personally I prefer to manually decide when I want to make sure the compressor stays off. Never had any mold or smell issues. Maybe that's something that's a regional/environmental issue?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 04:43 PM   #34
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
If you don’t keep the car set to recirculating air the a/c is not necessary to keep the windows from fogging up. Getting fresh air into the cabin is the key not to have fogging when the heat is on.
I almost never use recirculating air unless I smell something coming in from the outside lol! But even with outside air coming in, I leave the AC on. The humidity from our own expelled air, especially with multiple passengers, isn't expelled with the HVAC sufficiently. Air is being blown in from the outside, but inside air is not being expelled to the exterior.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 04:59 PM   #35
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm not sure what your logic is that maybe I don't smell it because it's my car.
Long-term adaptation in your olfactory system. It's something our body does naturally.

You don't find any reason to keep it running, but I don't see any reason to turn it off. I like the extra preventative measure of keeping moisture out of the car, but thats maybe why I cars always smell new-ish. I also don't like to keep food in the car, and I air it out in the garage if I transport food. I'm just anal like that.

More times than not, however, moldy and musky smell is a result in bacteria and mold growing in the car and in the vents caused by turning the AC on and off, even in dry weather through condensation. You always want condensation to form OUTSIDE a closed system, not inside.

Remember: When your AC is running, if you don't have the heat on, your ventilation system gets cold. When you turn it off, they newly introduced warmer air comes into contact with the interior wall of the of the vents, which is cold from the system previously running AC. What happens when warm air comes into contact with a cold object? Condensation. Example: The water formed on cold soda cans isn't water from inside the can, it's from the air around it.

So you turn your AC off because you think you don't need it, chances are you are going to get condensation in the vents, which increases the chances of mold and mildew etc. So I simply leave it on.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 05:02 PM   #36
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post

FWIW - full auto here year around, I'm always comfortable, clear windshields, no smells, no compressor problems and no fiddling except an occasional temp change here and there
FYI in most cars, when you are in "auto" mode, even if it's cold outside, no matter how hot you set the temp, the HVAC will continue to use AC unless you manually turn AC off because car manufacturers know that turning off the AC creates condensation in the system.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 06:41 PM   #37
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Long-term adaptation in your olfactory system. It's something our body does naturally.

You don't find any reason to keep it running, but I don't see any reason to turn it off. I like the extra preventative measure of keeping moisture out of the car, but thats maybe why I cars always smell new-ish. I also don't like to keep food in the car, and I air it out in the garage if I transport food. I'm just anal like that.

More times than not, however, moldy and musky smell is a result in bacteria and mold growing in the car and in the vents caused by turning the AC on and off, even in dry weather through condensation. You always want condensation to form OUTSIDE a closed system, not inside.

Remember: When your AC is running, if you don't have the heat on, your ventilation system gets cold. When you turn it off, they newly introduced warmer air comes into contact with the interior wall of the of the vents, which is cold from the system previously running AC. What happens when warm air comes into contact with a cold object? Condensation. Example: The water formed on cold soda cans isn't water from inside the can, it's from the air around it.

So you turn your AC off because you think you don't need it, chances are you are going to get condensation in the vents, which increases the chances of mold and mildew etc. So I simply leave it on.
RE: When you turn it off, they newly introduced warmer air comes into contact with the interior wall of the of the vents, which is cold from the system previously running AC. What happens when warm air comes into contact with a cold object? Condensation

Doesn't that already happen when the you turn off the car and the AC is no longer running?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:08 PM   #38
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
RE: When you turn it off, they newly introduced warmer air comes into contact with the interior wall of the of the vents, which is cold from the system previously running AC. What happens when warm air comes into contact with a cold object? Condensation

Doesn't that already happen when the you turn off the car and the AC is no longer running?
No, because the fans turn off and the low humidity air that is in the system is no longer circulating. The air gradually gets more humid as it equalizes with the outside air, as does the temperature of the interior walls, preventing condensation.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 08:27 PM   #39
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

No, because the fans turn off and the low humidity air that is in the system is no longer circulating. The air gradually gets more humid as it equalizes with the outside air, as does the temperature of the interior walls, preventing condensation.
Thanks for the education. I'll still keep my system off for now since it's not causing any noticeable problems.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 10:48 PM   #40
Quadruple VANOS
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure what your logic is that maybe I don't smell it because it's my car.

This advice is in opposition to my reality; and popular advice for eliminating the musty smell when you can get upon starting a car that had it's AC on when it shut down. If you turn off the compressor for a few minutes as you approach your parking spot, the system dries out and your car smells clean upon startup.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 10:52 PM   #41
RustyNail19
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

I have to say I've never kept the AC on all the time or even heard of this before, nor have I ever had any kind of musty smell in any car I've owned, and I have had cars for extended periods of time.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 11:10 PM   #42
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadruple VANOS View Post
Quote:
Quote:

This advice is in opposition to my reality; and popular advice for eliminating the musty smell when you can get upon starting a car that had it's AC on when it shut down. If you turn off the compressor for a few minutes as you approach your parking spot, the system dries out and your car smells clean upon startup.
That's largely an old idea that came from a problem with older cars. They often had clogged evaporator drains that backed up moisture into the HVAC system. In that case, running the air with the AC off would help "dry it out". However, if you have a properly functioning system, you don't need to do this because the evaporator drain is doing it's job and you shouldn't have any moisture in the system to "dry out".

The idea that you should start the car with the AC off has nothing to do with mold. It's actually also an old idea from when cars didn't have an ECU managed system. The strain on the engine from the AC unit was thought to put too much during a cold start. However, nowadays, the ECU knows what and what not to start when the engine starts.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 11:17 PM   #43
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep

Garage List
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.83]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNail19 View Post
I have to say I've never kept the AC on all the time or even heard of this before, nor have I ever had any kind of musty smell in any car I've owned, and I have had cars for extended periods of time.
It's a preventative measure. It doesn't mean you will always have the problem if you don't do it.

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 05:00 AM   #44
wrickem
Big Beaver Smile
Rep
Drives: What he wants to

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrickem View Post

FYI in most cars, when you are in "auto" mode, even if it's cold outside, no matter how hot you set the temp, the HVAC will continue to use AC unless you manually turn AC off because car manufacturers know that turning off the AC creates condensation in the system.
I'm fine with it running whenever it feels the need to in AUTO all the time (even with windows down)