Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Delayed Delivery Options

11-15-2021, 10:31 AM   #1
MontyP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

Delayed Delivery Options

Good day all,

I am not sure if this is the correct forum (as opposed to the General one) but thought I would start here.

I ordered a new M440i Cab back in June. At the time the expected delivery was August-September. My existing BMW lease expired on October 6. The card did not arrive in September so I was told by my selling dealer that they had extended my current lease by a month. Imagine my surprise (and irritation) when BMW Financial called me on October 13 wondering why I had not returned my car! After some discussion (and an annoyed email to the dealer) my lease was extended. I received a note from the dealer on October 13 telling me that my car had finally been shipped and was en route. Alas, no update as of November 6 so I extended the lease again to December 6.

Last Friday I received an email telling me that my car is back in Germany as there is a recall on some modules and there is now no ETA as to arrival (although it appears unlikely the car will be here in 2021). Needless to say, this is quite disappointing. Furthermore, it appears that I cannot extend my existing lease any further and, even if I could, the car will be out of warranty as of January 6, 2022.

Has anyone had a similar experience (particularly in Canada) and, if so, did BMW and/or the dealer assist in any way? As things are now looking, if I cannot extend my lease I am potentially without a car for some indeterminate period of time. If I can get BMW to extend the lease beyond January 6 will they extend the warranty? I don't want to keep the car and end up being responsible for costly repairs.

It seems to me that communication between Canadian dealers and BMW Canada is not very good (to wit the fact that BMW did not know I had ordered a new car and did not process the dealer's request to extend my lease originally).

Any insights, thoughts and/or actual experience would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 12:41 PM   #2
jlapicki
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Talk to BMW Financial directly about what options they can offer you.....seem to remember discussions that said leases could be extended for 6 months during the pandemic...there are a few 4 series convertibles on dealer lots here in the states if you can cancel your order....

I ordered mine in mid July from a dealer with allocations and was very lucky to take delivery last month with everything I ordered...
2017 M2 - Alpine White / Black - SOLD
2001 e39 M5 - Titanium / Caramel - A "Keeper"
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 01:42 PM   #3
justa3bmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

I ordered mine about 3 weeks ago and told it would be here by end of this month. M440, but I don't believe it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 01:48 PM   #4
Rux
Captain
Rep
Drives: Little of this, little of that

Garage List
2024 BMW G42  [0.00]
2022 BMW G82  [0.00]
I feel in the current market it is easy for dealers to jerk people around. You can take it on the chin and makes some calls to bmw financial and/or the dealer and get some answers and a resolution.

OR

Take advantage of the market. Take a look at your payoff. Vehicles, especially higher end ones, are in high high demand. Likely you can get much more for your car then your payoff. You can leverage this in a bunch of ways.
      11-15-2021, 06:35 PM   #5
MontyP
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks all. I contacted BMW Financial and they said I can certainly extend the lease but not the warranty. Therefore if anything happens to the car I'm on the hook for the repairs (not an attractive option). I also contacted the dealer who said I can extend the warranty but for a minimum term of a year. They said to check back in a few weeks and see if there is an update on the new car.

Alas, bringing a US spec BMW into Canada would be a hassle. I can play hardball with the dealer but, in fairness to them, this issue seems somewhat out of their control. Plus, when I negotiated the deal back in June I was able to get a decent discount. If the car is in high demand (which is certainly the case here given there is not a single one in any Canadian dealer's inventory), the dealer may just tell me I can cancel my agreement and they will sell the car for more $ to another customer.

Justa3 - I will be interested to know if yours arrives by the end of the month. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 08:37 PM   #6
BMR_CK
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyP View Post
Thanks all. I contacted BMW Financial and they said I can certainly extend the lease but not the warranty. Therefore if anything happens to the car I'm on the hook for the repairs (not an attractive option). I also contacted the dealer who said I can extend the warranty but for a minimum term of a year. They said to check back in a few weeks and see if there is an update on the new car.

Alas, bringing a US spec BMW into Canada would be a hassle. I can play hardball with the dealer but, in fairness to them, this issue seems somewhat out of their control. Plus, when I negotiated the deal back in June I was able to get a decent discount. If the car is in high demand (which is certainly the case here given there is not a single one in any Canadian dealer's inventory), the dealer may just tell me I can cancel my agreement and they will sell the car for more $ to another customer.

Justa3 - I will be interested to know if yours arrives by the end of the month. I will keep my fingers crossed for you.
That’s disappointing. What a mess. I think BMW should extend the lease, the warranty and of course the mileage allowance. You are not the reason you need to extend the darn thing.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 02:51 PM   #7
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyP View Post
........"I also contacted the dealer who said I can extend the warranty but for a minimum term of a year....."
This is totally random, but may assist you somewhat. I purchased a one-year BMW Warranty (UK) on my M5 some years back (not cheap).

Things changed and I then decided to sell the car about 2 months in....

BMW Warranty gave me a pro-rata refund....
Maybe worth a phone call to see if that option is open to you...?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 11:48 AM   #8
MontyP
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Z_Victor.

As things stand, the dealer has extended the lease to Jan 6 and have told me they will look at different options then if my new car has still not arrived (which seems a safe bet given it hasn't left Germany yet).

Justa3 - did you car arrive at the end of November?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 12:10 PM   #9
Colliwobbles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa3bmw View Post
I ordered mine about 3 weeks ago and told it would be here by end of this month. M440, but I don't believe it.
Did it arrive? Ordered mine mid August and still in quality check
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2021, 11:19 AM   #10
justa3bmw
Private First Class
Rep

It's been "AT THE PORT" for about a week now. That's crazy, yeah mine built just waiting for it to arrive.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 10:40 AM   #11
MontyP
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justa3bmw View Post
It's been "AT THE PORT" for about a week now. That's crazy, yeah mine built just waiting for it to arrive.
Hi Justa3,

Just wondering if your car ever arrived. Still haven't received mine yet!

Last update is a late January/early February delivery but no sign the car has left Germany yet (except for the first time it shipped in October ).

I have extended my lease to Feb, 2022 and BMW Canada also agreed to extend my warranty by a month (expires in early January) which I appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 11:46 AM   #12
justa3bmw
Private First Class
Rep

It's been in the "in-transit" phase for last 2-3 weeks now. It's already in the states but I did loose the 6UY touch screen along the way but it looks like everything else did go through except ZPK.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 01:18 PM   #13
SpeedyATL
Major
Rep
Drives: Z4 M40

Garage List
2015 Yamaha FZ-09  [10.00]
2018 BMW S1000XR   [9.83]
2018 BMW R1200RT  [10.00]
2023 BMW X4  [7.88]
2022 BMW Z4  [9.78]
Monty,

Did they give you a reason for the delays other than the standard 'COVID' or 'Chip Shortage'? I too have an M440cv just a bit behind yours. Mine is sitting at the plant awaiting carrier assignment. It has been that way since 12/17, but I guess the holidays have had a significant impact on that.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2021, 03:35 PM   #14
MontyP
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyATL View Post
Monty,

Did they give you a reason for the delays other than the standard 'COVID' or 'Chip Shortage'? I too have an M440cv just a bit behind yours. Mine is sitting at the plant awaiting carrier assignment. It has been that way since 12/17, but I guess the holidays have had a significant impact on that.
Hi Speedy.

Not really.

On October 13 I received a message from the dealer saying: "Just wanted to let you know your car has left Germany and is now on the boat in route for Halifax".

On November 12 I received another message from the dealer saying my car had been returned to the port with several others waiting for a recall to be performed. The message said there was a supplier issue with a "batch of modules" and that BMW is waiting for the part to be corrected before it ships from Germany.

A subsequent message from the dealer mentioned RAM modules.

In speaking to the sales rep, it appears the car was built and shipped and that BMW subsequently found a defect with some modules so my car was "returned to port" to have the issue addressed before shipping.
Appreciate 0