Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Does your sunroof rattle?

07-27-2021, 10:44 AM   #89
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 840 M Sport Gran Coupe

My sunroof has started making creaking noises in recent moths when closed, fine when it’s open. That will be for the dealer to sort next time it goes in.

No idea why I did it - while driving today I pressed upward on the glass with the sunroof closed and could feel it moving along with squeaking noises. Seems like it is just a bad fit.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 10:48 AM   #90
bimmerMytlas
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340XI G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
My sunroof has started making creaking noises in recent moths when closed, fine when it’s open. That will be for the dealer to sort next time it goes in.

No idea why I did it - while driving today I pressed upward on the glass with the sunroof closed and could feel it moving along with squeaking noises. Seems like it is just a bad fit.
Most likely it's a bad fit, but maybe its a defect that cannot be fixed, cause all of the owners have that issue
Appreciate 1
Seaford1124.00
      07-27-2021, 10:59 AM   #91
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerMytlas View Post
Most likely it's a bad fit, but maybe its a defect that cannot be fixed, cause all of the owners have that issue
It might be the moths….I really must check posts before posting them!
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 11:27 AM   #92
jav335i_
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i Xdrive

Mine creaks, I feel like it's the whole roof now. I reached out to BMW, and they told me they were gonna send out a technician to take a look at it and he couldn't replicate it. Finally made another appointment, and had the shop foreman sit in the car with me and was able to replicate it by just pulling out of the parking lot. They had to order some lubricant for it, but I feel like it's going to still creak.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2021, 02:01 PM   #93
bimmerMytlas
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340XI G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jav335i_ View Post
Mine creaks, I feel like it's the whole roof now. I reached out to BMW, and they told me they were gonna send out a technician to take a look at it and he couldn't replicate it. Finally made another appointment, and had the shop foreman sit in the car with me and was able to replicate it by just pulling out of the parking lot. They had to order some lubricant for it, but I feel like it's going to still creak.
Solution in my country is also the same they lubricate it with some kind of bmw lubricant fix it for like 3 months and then it starts again...
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2021, 04:50 PM   #94
greekcs
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

I had the battery recall performed today. While waiting I brought up the sunroof issue with my SA. He advised that the car would need to be booked for a few days so they could drop the headliner and perform the repair. Unfortunately they never have loaner vehicles on hand and I cant do without a car.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 03:27 PM   #95
M340i saphire
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

All I heard is people's issue with the rattle but no solution to it. Is there one or does the dealer have to repair it?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2021, 03:53 PM   #96
luv2learn
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 340ix MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by M340i saphire View Post
All I heard is people's issue with the rattle but no solution to it. Is there one or does the dealer have to repair it?
No, still no solution other than re lubricating every few months. 👎🏻
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2021, 03:03 PM   #97
ergarza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 340 M Sport

Hi all, after several months of this annoying rattle and many hours of afterwork troubleshooting I found a way to eliminate it on my car. Probably each individual problem is different but hopefully this works for you as well.

I must mention that I find this solution while trying to take down the headliner and fortunately it wasn't needed.... anyway, there are many parts involved on the removal of the headliner that I would suggest to don't let the dealer do it unless is absolutely necessary and you have exhausted all the possible options.

1- Unclip the headliner from the sunroof on the corner closer to the passenger door (front), for this I used my plastic tools but if you do it carefully even with couple plastic cards you can do it, see the first picture

2-In the sunroof corner (close to the wind deflector - passenger side), insert a tool to create a clearance in order to insert a piece of felt tape.

3- Insert the felt tape between the sunroof and the plastic where it seats, be sure that is closer to the edge of the sunroof rail.

4- To be in the safe zone, I inserted felt all in the perimeter of the passenger side between the headliner and the sunroof, not sure if this contributed to eliminate the rattle but now I don't want to remove it as is super quiet.

The aforementioned 4 steps solved 95% of the issue, the 5% remaining got solved by cleaning the sunroof rubber and the perimeter of where it sits while closed.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
bfiv83.00
      11-21-2021, 04:44 AM   #98
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

I wonder if BMW has solved this issue in later build weeks? Does anyone have a 2021 build with a clicky sunroof?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2021, 12:52 PM   #99
Seaford
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I thought I had posted this already but maybe not….my creaking/cracking sunroof was sorted by the dealer under warranty. Apparently bmw have issued a ‘service kit’ which includes some new design rollers and lube. A month or so on and all seems well.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 10:09 PM   #100
gannys
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andybird View Post
I thought I had posted this already but maybe not….my creaking/cracking sunroof was sorted by the dealer under warranty. Apparently bmw have issued a ‘service kit’ which includes some new design rollers and lube. A month or so on and all seems well.
Really!!?? I got a whole new cassette installed last month and now the noise is coming back again
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 11:21 PM   #101
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

When my car was in for service they couldn't replicate the issue. My car was there for a week . I didn't want to keep my car there another day. They fixed the speaker popping issue though.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 06:06 PM   #102
erawamai
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i G21

So far so good for my sunroof on my g21.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2021, 02:34 PM   #103
BMR_CK
Private
United_States
Rep

My ‘21 doesn’t make any noise, but I had a ‘21 330i loaner and that sunroof rattled a lot.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2021, 10:19 PM   #104
Deej1991
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330i xdrive

Just got a 21 330i late November. Had 1,700 miles on it. As the weather got colder into December - the rattling/popping from the sunroof became unbearable. Had to take it to the dealer after just two weeks of driving it. The first time there - the service guy said he couldn't replicate the noise and just gave the car back. So I set up another appointment but this time to drive with someone. Of course - we went for a ride and there wasn't any rattling. I believe weight distribution has something to do with it and it needed to be colder weather. So I dropped it off again and this time they heard the noises. Told me there was a bulletin from BMW and the company is aware of the issue. They ordered a special lubricant. But based on reading a lot of the posts here - sounds like I'll be back every few months.
Appreciate 1
premier3is1627.00
      12-27-2021, 06:16 PM   #105
saoneil2
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by premier3is View Post
No rattle for me but side note, the wind noise when the sunroof is open is loud... louder than any other cars I've had.
I've noticed this too but it just the windscreen. I've had windscreens in the last but they were solid and this one lets air pass through, creating a much more noticeable sound.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2021, 06:56 PM   #106
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

This issue might be based on a combination of year and model. I have a 2021 M340xi - no rattling issues at all. Knock on wood. Perhaps there should be a poll for this; I haven't read or heard of anyone with my model/year reporting this problem. My car was manaufactured in Germany, this might be important because it could also just be affecting certain vehicles depending on where the parts were sourced.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 08:42 AM   #107
lsbuffs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deej1991 View Post
Just got a 21 330i late November. Had 1,700 miles on it. As the weather got colder into December - the rattling/popping from the sunroof became unbearable. Had to take it to the dealer after just two weeks of driving it. The first time there - the service guy said he couldn't replicate the noise and just gave the car back. So I set up another appointment but this time to drive with someone. Of course - we went for a ride and there wasn't any rattling. I believe weight distribution has something to do with it and it needed to be colder weather. So I dropped it off again and this time they heard the noises. Told me there was a bulletin from BMW and the company is aware of the issue. They ordered a special lubricant. But based on reading a lot of the posts here - sounds like I'll be back every few months.
This is exactly my issue. As the weather has been a bit colder in Phoenix recently, the rattling/creaking has become unbearable, especially first thing in the morning. I too fear the dealer will say they're unable to replicate or the repair attempt will be too invasive.

I printed out the bulletin and ordered the special lubricant from getbmwparts.com. I'll try that first myself to see if it provides any relief before I go to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 10:32 AM   #108
TruthOne
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbuffs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deej1991 View Post
This is exactly my issue. As the weather has been a bit colder in Phoenix recently, the rattling/creaking has become unbearable, especially first thing in the morning. I too fear the dealer will say they're unable to replicate or the repair attempt will be too invasive.

I printed out the bulletin and ordered the special lubricant from getbmwparts.com. I'll try that first myself to see if it provides any relief before I go to the dealer.
Where do you put the lube? Do you open the roof and place inside somewhere?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2021, 10:58 AM   #109
lsbuffs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
Where do you put the lube? Do you open the roof and place inside somewhere?
Here is a link to SIB 54 16 19. It also contains the part number for the "special grease".

https://www.tsbsearch.com/BMW/SI-B54-16-19
Appreciate 1
TruthOne1081.00
      01-06-2022, 07:00 AM   #110
lsbuffs
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbuffs View Post
Here is a link to SIB 54 16 19. It also contains the part number for the "special grease".

https://www.tsbsearch.com/BMW/SI-B54-16-19
I applied the special grease however it did not resolve the rattle. When I ordered it, I didn't realize this procedure was specific to the sunshade. My noise seems to be more from the glass.

I finally decided to take it to the dealer. The tech drove with the shop foreman and confirmed noise. Per SIB54 15 19, they applied BMW Lubricant M, part 83 19 2 458 653 to the sunroof perimeter seal.

It's only been one day, but my early morning, cold drive to Starbucks seems to indicate the noise is gone. We'll see how long this lubricant lasts. I looked up the part with the idea I'd order some to have on hand, but it's over $50. It seems to be a Krytok product, but not sure which one (perhaps GPL 105 oil?)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0