Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals RaceChip GTS Black Tune for G20 M340 unveiled. Dynoed and raced vs F82 M4

07-06-2020, 06:50 AM   #67
amw896
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisny View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBF87 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragged Edge View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
Another debate about real ///M car or M performance. Lol

RC is definitely worth every penny and it's easy install.

BTW glad to see video without stupid masks
I don't want to hijack, but I agree the masks look silly sometimes, however they will save the lives of many vulnerable loved ones. It is worth the effort to wear them.
In terms of blurred lines between the M's and M performance.... also agreed.
I hope the new M3/4 is distinctly better than the regular G series.... but all the cars are so good now, and they have to keep slightly ahead of the competition in their niche.
Enjoyed the vid none-the-less!
I'm glad someone commented on the mask one liner. It's no wonder America has the most cases. Comments like those are moronic at best.
I agree about the masks but we have the most cases because we have the most testing. I'm sure there are idiots elsewhere refusing to distance and wear masks too.
testing is carried out just as much in Germany and canada. You guys have the most cases because you have the most idiots
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 07:05 AM   #68
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

Fundamentally, this is a fun comparo... albeit you have to remember the M340i is a 5 year newer car and can be had at a value price if 1 to 1.5 year old... will it ever feel like the real deal, have the aftermarket support or resale an M car will? That's the decision you need to make on your own... to me, the M car is the real deal and I know many years down the road it will be the one everyone wants if I decide to sell. My recommendation; buy the M car new... buy the M340i after 2 years (you can buy it for pennies in comparo).

I also prefer the warranty and stock power level of the M4.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan24809.50
      07-06-2020, 07:36 AM   #69
FloridaM5
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Comp RWD

Garage List
  [5.83]
You guys have managed to turn a pretty cool thread into trash. Nicely done.
Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1936.50
srbs73542.00
      07-06-2020, 07:45 AM   #70
supershaft
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 992 GT3, Cayenne Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaM5 View Post
You guys have managed to turn a pretty cool thread into trash. Nicely done.
as usual some fucking idiot in the midwest derailed this with his moronic thoughts

Last edited by supershaft; 07-06-2020 at 08:50 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 10:38 AM   #71
rallybull
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDO View Post
Quote:
Censure. See my autocorrected edit. In any case, the level of virtue signaling and racial epithet usage from the "citizen of the world" is apparent. So classy! Such richness added to the conversation. You have definitely proven your ascension beyond us. Bravo!
"Censure" makes even less sense, since the very meaning of "censure" is expressing disagreement with someone's position.

Just in case it's not clear: Yes, I will always express disagreement with a reckless, harmful, inconsiderate opinion, rather than give it tacit approval by keeping quiet. The world would be a better place if more people did that. Notice, I speak for myself only, not trying to amplify my statements behind assuming "us" like you do.
Tacit approval?!? It's a damn car forum dude. Get off of your soapbox. Everything stated here doesn't need to be so politically charged nor politically corrected. You are an example of the problem.

P.S. You expressed disagreement with his position and then began labeling him a "redneck." You cast aspersions while simultaneously losing equanimity.
Are you using a frigging dictionary while typing your responses?
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 10:39 AM   #72
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BDO View Post
Quote:
Censure. See my autocorrected edit. In any case, the level of virtue signaling and racial epithet usage from the "citizen of the world" is apparent. So classy! Such richness added to the conversation. You have definitely proven your ascension beyond us. Bravo!
"Censure" makes even less sense, since the very meaning of "censure" is expressing disagreement with someone's position.

Just in case it's not clear: Yes, I will always express disagreement with a reckless, harmful, inconsiderate opinion, rather than give it tacit approval by keeping quiet. The world would be a better place if more people did that. Notice, I speak for myself only, not trying to amplify my statements behind assuming "us" like you do.
Tacit approval?!? It's a damn car forum dude. Get off of your soapbox. Everything stated here doesn't need to be so politically charged nor politically corrected. You are an example of the problem.

P.S. You expressed disagreement with his position and then began labeling him a "redneck." You cast aspersions while simultaneously losing equanimity.
Are you using a frigging dictionary while typing your responses?
No, that's just how I speak.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 10:52 AM   #73
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj914 View Post
So based upon anyone's personal experience, racechip or jb4? It's the only two options I'm left with since my DME is locked.

used both, had good experiences with both , but IMO the RaceChip seems to be easier to install and a bit smoother in the power delivery , but to each his/her own
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 11:52 AM   #74
TorontoGambler
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Volvo XC90 Inscription

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezzracer View Post
How fun that this thread became political. Although I admit it was interesting reading comments and opinions about wearing masks by fellow BMW enthusiast like myself.

After 6 months of this virus being studied by the best minds in the world I've come to this conclusion: Nobody really knows sht fuk about this virus and they all got it wrong. Round and round we go where it ends nobody knows.
I get that point of view based on the messages in the news and from politicians, however... the scientific community has had it right from the beginning, they just aren’t the folks who make the news. In Feb I was lucky enough to get warning of the virus from a family friend who studies disease control and they let us know it would be a pandemic, it was already far to late to stop it and that we all needed to stock up and prep for the worst... the messages we get are from people who want to be re-elected and have portfolios bigger than ours to protect which unfortunately destroys the message.

I didn’t take full advantage of the message, really wish I shorted, but that said I got the kids out of daycare early and stocked up before the hoarding. My point is people on the inside know, making this much more of a tragedy that much of the world didn’t do much with the info.

And I love my not a real M 340i ... wife says I can’t drive in sport while she’s in the car however.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2020, 12:12 PM   #75
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by amw896 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I don't want to hijack, but I agree the masks look silly sometimes, however they will save the lives of many vulnerable loved ones. It is worth the effort to wear them.
I hope the new M3/4 is distinctly better than the regular G series.... but all the cars are so good now, and they have to keep slightly ahead of the competition in their niche.
I'm glad someone commented on the mask one liner. It's no wonder America has the most cases. Comments like those are moronic at best.
I agree about the masks but we have the most cases because we have the most testing. I'm sure there are idiots elsewhere refusing to distance and wear masks too.
testing is carried out just as much in Germany and canada. You guys have the most cases because you have the most idiots
More well spoken factual based knowledge. If only the facts agreed with your highly intellectual argument.

As I said, I agree with doing all we can do. Masks, social distancing, all of it. I wish the answers we've been getting were more trustworthy and more concrete and we knew for sure what actually works. But it doesn't hurt me to wear a mask and most certainly doesn't hurt me to stand 6' away on the rare occasion I go to a store. It does hurt my children to be isolated with little real, in-person social interaction with their friends and family, but we are doing just that because we're told by experts and governments that it's the only way to protect them and everyone else. The whole situation sucks for literally everyone in the entire world, including those choosing to take a "don't tell me what to do" approach.

But stop all the finger pointing and ignorant comments with no factual basis. There are people of all races, creeds, colors, income levels, affluent, not affluent, and even all political parties following the guidelines and there are people from all of the above NOT following the guidelines.

I apologize to the OP and anyone that just wants to talk cars for my small part in continuing this distraction. Everyone else, stick to facts and save the childish name calling and finger pointing for some other forum.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 01:19 PM   #76
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Isn't 15% considered the average loss of most any rear wheel drive car? Assuming more for all wheel drive but do not how much for X drive.
Didn't necessarily mean to quote you on my reply in that this is more for general consumption now that I found more info....but at the same time didn't want to ignore you quoting me :-)

Thank you....Yes you are correct 100% - I just thought maybe it was lower and wanted to error on the side of caution when looking at other results.

Since posting I read that Race Chips shared that the blue line (and corresponding number on their dynos) is in fact their wheel HP number. Sooo that means according to the video they shared:

• Stock+GTS Black = 388.2 wheel | 460.6 crank (18% drive-train loss)
  • GTS+Black+DP = 375.5 wheel | 479.1 crank (27% drive-train loss)

I didn't realize that the drive-train loss would be dynamic (meaning it seems to be different on all the pulls) - but oh well at least I have some numbers now to work with for comparison sake in terms of loss. For now I think I'll just go with the 15% that was mentioned.

Not that big of a deal either way and guess there will never be a definitive 100% correct answer that can universally be applied across the board.

In that most tuners don't publish both crank & wheel this gave a unique opportunity to compare the numbers

Last edited by chenry; 07-07-2020 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: typos of course :-)
Appreciate 1
dezzracer1173.50
      07-07-2020, 01:40 PM   #77
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Makes me wonder what my M3 CS puts down at the wheels. Although the published HP increase over M3 comp is only 10 peak and 38 torque some that have dynoed reported higher on both depending on where the motor is in the RPM curve. All I know is the car rips and snorts. No tune needed.

Anyone out there have M3/M4 CS dyno numbers?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 01:49 PM   #78
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I know in the car rips and snorts. No tune needed.
For me that's all that matters - it does what you need/want it to do (and in the case of your CS probably far more). Similar feelings to when I put my car on the dyno - sure I was curious but it didn't really matter to me because it was already more than I needed and I was quite content with that :-)

ps-I think we may be getting this thread back on track
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 01:57 PM   #79
dezzracer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Quote:
I know in the car rips and snorts. No tune needed.
For me that's all that matters - it does what you need/want it to do (and in the case of your CS probably far more). Similar feelings to when I put my car on the dyno - sure I was curious but it didn't really matter to me because it was already more than I needed and I was quite content with that :-)

Im about to go off topic again lol. How the heck do you excerpt a specific sentence out of a post like you just did when quoting ? Can't seem to figure that out. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2020, 02:24 PM   #80
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Can't seem to figure that out. Thanks.
Happy to help - I quote and then go back in and highlight and delete what I don't want. This quote (the one of yours I am using right now) is a result of the following....hope this helps :-)
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 12:04 PM   #81
MG20i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Mini Countryman S

I have been told in recent years that the automatic transmissions are much more efficient than they used to be. As in, the 18%-20% drivetrain losses of 20 years ago are half that now. So, who knows? And how the hell did this happen...

Stock+GTS Black = 388.2 wheel | 460.6 crank (18% drive-train loss)
GTS+Black+DP = 375.5 wheel | 479.1 crank (27% drive-train loss)
???
Adding the downpipe dropped wheel hp but increased crank hp??
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 01:00 PM   #82
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:

Chenry, I would love to take your car for a joy ride lol, when do plan on coming to South Florida, anytime soon?
      07-08-2020, 02:32 PM   #83
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG20i View Post
I have been told in recent years that the automatic transmissions are much more efficient than they used to be. As in, the 18%-20% drivetrain losses of 20 years ago are half that now. So, who knows? And how the hell did this happen...

???
I have no idea I couldn't make sense of that either - I think it may be an editing issue with their video (where they reversed the results) - that is the only thing that makes sense to me. **Edit** no that doesn't make sense because the calculated crank number is higher it's the actual WHP number that is lower....okay so I'm clueless.

That said, just to be clear for anyone that is wondering...I'll share here where I saw those numbers. I do not profess to be the expert on these things and was simply reviewing the video to help me with my knowledge quest regarding drivetrain loss with the M340 (thought it was nice they posted crank and wheel). I have no opinion relative to RaceChip :-)

Being 100% objective here and only sharing what RaceChip has posted in their video.

ps- if someone sees something different in these screen shots, please let me know and I will quickly update - I don't want to be the source of erroneous information
Attached Images

Last edited by chenry; 07-08-2020 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: edited to correct myself on my comment
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2020, 02:34 PM   #84
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Chenry, I would love to take your car for a joy ride lol, when do plan on coming to South Florida, anytime soon?
HA - I would gladly hand you the keys :-) Drop me a line next time you are in SoCal!
Appreciate 1
EXE462097.00
      07-08-2020, 04:39 PM   #85
nbennettksu
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: DV F80

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I agree about the masks but we have the most cases because we have the most testing. I'm sure there are idiots elsewhere refusing to distance and wear masks too. 😉
You clearly don't get it. The most testing? Give me a break; do you think Germany and Italy just stopped testing? I'm glad EU has closed its doors on us, good for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kchu221 View Post
the wheels make me mad...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhabs View Post
It's one thing for some buffoon to put an M badge on something that doesn't deserve it...it's another for a multi-billion dollar corporation to do the exact same thing and keep a straight face.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 03:34 AM   #86
n55co
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: G80X BSM

Quote:

???

Quote:
I have no idea I couldn't make sense of that either - I think it may be an editing issue with their video (where they reversed the results) - that is the only thing that makes sense to me. **Edit** no that doesn't make sense because the calculated crank number is higher it's the actual WHP number that is lower....okay so I'm clueless.

That said, just to be clear for anyone that is wondering...I'll share here where I saw those numbers. I do not profess to be the expert on these things and was simply reviewing the video to help me with my knowledge quest regarding drivetrain loss with the M340 (thought it was nice they posted crank and wheel). I have no opinion relative to RaceChip :-)

Being 100% objective here and only sharing what RaceChip has posted in their video.

ps- if someone sees something different in these screen shots, please let me know and I will quickly update - I don't want to be the source of erroneous information

Wheel HP is a result of Engine HP - drivetrain loss.

Drivetrain loss depends on several factors like gearbox/drivetrain temperature, gearbox, wheel temperature, tire size, how the car is fixed/strapped on the dyno etc.
E.g if you do 10 runs back to back (with the same car) drivetrain loss is getting bigger (due to gearbox/drivetrain temperature, wheel temperature, parts expanding etc.) which results in lower wheel HP numbers.
Therefore it is important, if you want to get accurate and
comparable results, to measure drivetrain loss after each power run (which is the case on all MAHA dynos)
Thats the only way to get accurate, comparable and reproducible results.

Engine HP = Red line
Engine NM = Orange line
Wheel HP = Blue line
drivetrain loss = Green line

Wheel HP + drivetrain loss = uncorrected Engine HP

Last edited by n55co; 07-09-2020 at 03:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 08:15 AM   #87
MG20i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 Mini Countryman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by n55co View Post
Wheel HP is a result of Engine HP - drivetrain loss.

Drivetrain loss depends on several factors like gearbox/drivetrain temperature, gearbox, wheel temperature, tire size, how the car is fixed/strapped on the dyno etc.
E.g if you do 10 runs back to back (with the same car) drivetrain loss is getting bigger (due to gearbox/drivetrain temperature, wheel temperature, parts expanding etc.) which results in lower wheel HP numbers.
Therefore it is important, if you want to get accurate and
comparable results, to measure drivetrain loss after each power run (which is the case on all MAHA dynos)
Thats the only way to get accurate, comparable and reproducible results.

Engine HP = Red line
Engine NM = Orange line
Wheel HP = Blue line
drivetrain loss = Green line

Wheel HP + drivetrain loss = uncorrected Engine HP
All true enough. However I think those figures for drivetrain loss are too high. And someone needs to investigate how adding the downpipe created such a horrible 27% drivetrain loss number. Doesn't matter to me what the estimated crank hp number is. If it puts less power to the pavement then what is the point?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2020, 09:26 AM   #88
n55co
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: G80X BSM

Quote:
All true enough. However I think those figures for drivetrain loss are too high. And someone needs to investigate how adding the downpipe created such a horrible 27% drivetrain loss number. Doesn't matter to me what the estimated crank hp number is. If it puts less power to the pavement then what is the point?
it is the 4WD version -> higher drivetrain loss.
Actually crank HP matters more than wheel hp numbers (if you are looking at the pure performance of the engine)
Wheel hp numbers are not static, even on the same car, same day etc.
(back to back runs will increase drivetrain loss and therefore reduce wheel hp)

If you have 2 identical cars with exactly the same crank HP but one is rolling on 22inch 300/35 tires (just an extreme example), while the other one is running on 19inch 225/35
Wheel HP will be different, while engine HP is acutally the same.

Another example, if you measure the exact same car on 21inch (e.g summer tires) and 19 inch (winter tires), wheel HP will be different.
Thats the reason, why measuring drivetrain loss is important.

(wheel hp can also vary, depending on how the car is strapped down on the dyno)
Appreciate 0