Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Off-Topic Discussions Board The Sports Lounge Golf general chat

02-26-2021, 08:13 PM   #23
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post

Different group makes alllllllll the difference.
Completely agree!

If I play with my usual foursome (all between 5-10 handicaps) I’m usually in the 70s.

If I play with a group of buddies who “like to golf” I’m in the high 70s low 80s as it’s more about the social aspect (translation beers are flowing) and golf etiquette goes out the window.

When I play with my wife usually 70s, and try working the ball more and trying shots I normally wouldn’t attempt. Also continually teaching her about the game and how she can improve.
Appreciate 1
      03-02-2021, 02:41 AM   #24
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

Beautiful, perfect day today playing Half Moon Bay (Old Course).

Absolutely abysmal round (for me) - I hooked almost every drive hard left and was constantly punching back out to the fairway from behind trees or OB.

Had a few chip-ins and 1-putts though for an overall 91.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 08:16 PM   #25
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

A couple pics from HMB :

View from the 18th tee box

View from the green looking back up at the tee box

Last edited by NorCalAthlete; 03-03-2021 at 08:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2021, 01:36 AM   #26
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

WITB Wednesday: pulled the trigger on a full set of PXGs. 0311 Gen3’s.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2021, 05:27 PM   #27
GERMAN M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Comp.

Just a few pics from Augusta National today.
Attached Images

04-30-2021, 06:47 AM   #28
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Thought I finally decided on a new set of irons. Really like the Taylor P790 Black irons, went to their website to custom build a set...

Delivery date of November 12, 2022

WTF!

May have to wait until I can get into local stores and hit a few different clubs, or just hold off on buying. Not like I can play anyways...stupid lockdown, only place in the world golf is shutdown - Ontario
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 11:43 AM   #29
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

If anyone is in the bay area, I'll be playing Half Moon Bay on July 3rd. It'd be fun to have a little mini BMW get together at the golf course / Ritz.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 11:57 AM   #30
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Have really bit the bullet this past year and invested myself in golf. I started playing maybe 2 years ago, but was more so for the drinking aspect with buddies. Now my neighbor and I have been trying to play about twice a week consistently starting about 2 months ago. Usually a 9 after work and we try to get 18 in during the weekend. Luckily we have an abundance of nice courses here in chucktown. 2:40pm tee time at Rivertowne today. Goal is to be sub 100 today, I know that isn't good, but I'm really just getting to the point where I have some consistency in my irons & drives so cut me some slack haha. Recently picked up 4-AW Sim Max, last years model. Got them used in "very good" condition, and had them rewrapped with golf pride tour wraps. Was pretty surprised with the quality even though they were used. 8 Clubs rewrapped out the door around $625 so I can't complain. Not to the point where I can really tell the difference between brand new clubs anyways haha.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 12:20 PM   #31
19M5
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP10 View Post
Have really bit the bullet this past year and invested myself in golf. I started playing maybe 2 years ago, but was more so for the drinking aspect with buddies. Now my neighbor and I have been trying to play about twice a week consistently starting about 2 months ago. Usually a 9 after work and we try to get 18 in during the weekend. Luckily we have an abundance of nice courses here in chucktown. 2:40pm tee time at Rivertowne today. Goal is to be sub 100 today, I know that isn't good, but I'm really just getting to the point where I have some consistency in my irons & drives so cut me some slack haha. Recently picked up 4-AW Sim Max, last years model. Got them used in "very good" condition, and had them rewrapped with golf pride tour wraps. Was pretty surprised with the quality even though they were used. 8 Clubs rewrapped out the door around $625 so I can't complain. Not to the point where I can really tell the difference between brand new clubs anyways haha.

Alright!

If you get the chance, primarily focus on your short game? I guarantee you that if you are consistently a good putter, chipper and pitcher that will translate into immediate lower scores. I say this from personal experience.

2016 Dodge Charger HC
2005 E55 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 2
JP102462.00
      06-20-2021, 06:49 AM   #32
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16HC View Post
Alright!

If you get the chance, primarily focus on your short game? I guarantee you that if you are consistently a good putter, chipper and pitcher that will translate into immediate lower scores. I say this from personal experience.
Best advice…work on your short game and putting - it will dramatically improve your game.

My wife was usually shooting 100-110 and then I took her to one of our local practice facilities once a week late last summer/fall. Focused chipping and hitting out of the bunkers for a few hours each week, as well as finishing the putts after her chips. This has really improved her scoring, she now is shooting 91-95 consistently.
Appreciate 1
JP102462.00
      06-20-2021, 08:13 AM   #33
JP10
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Appreciate the short game tips. Felt that to my core yesterday. Got within the green pretty well throughout. Chipping was very inconsistent and they had just aerated the greens so they were difficult to say the least. Need to keep practicing!
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2021, 10:45 PM   #34
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Won my grouping for a veterans tournament and got invited to the state championship being played at Twin Oaks in San Marcos on July 10th.

Anyone down in that area? I'm thinking about driving down early and seeing if I can get a practice round in on the 9th. Booked a hotel for now, but it'd be fun to meet up with some BP members.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2021, 05:54 AM   #35
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
If anyone is in the bay area, I'll be playing Half Moon Bay on July 3rd. It'd be fun to have a little mini BMW get together at the golf course / Ritz.
Lovely property.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2021, 11:11 AM   #36
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by khloedale View Post
My husband eventually got me into playing! For years he tried to get me to embrace the golf life and eventually I gave in and surprised myself with how much i liked it!

I'm excited for a summer with lots of golf!! Wondered if anyone had any recommendations actually about golf socks - I'm looking at some golf styles like these but I find there's typically less options for women golfers!

Is it worth investing in proper golf socks or should I wait until winter when it's colder? Does it actually impact your game or am I better just buying cheap trainer socks that do the job?
100% worth it. Nothing worse than starting to get blisters on your ankles from shoes rubbing and you're on the 6th hole waaaaaaay away from the pro shop and can't snag a different pair of socks.

Socks + shoes = worth splurging on. Gloves are worth moderate spending. Shirts / skirts / shorts / pants / etc you can get away with skimping on more.

I'd rather have a tan line than a blistered ankle.
Appreciate 1
Bongoxxx804.00
      07-01-2021, 12:32 PM   #37
King Rudi
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Meat Suit

When I was younger I lived with a golf course in my back yard. Around dusk, I'd hop the fence, drink some beers and hit balls on the green using a 60° lob wedge just to kill time. I got pretty good at it. A few years later I get invited by some buddies to go play. Had no clue what I was doing, however; once they saw my short game, I received accolades all around. I bit the bullet and invested.

Funny thing, when I was married; I played 3 times a week. After the divorce, I haven't even swung a club.

I'm going to date myself and how long it's been since I've played.

First driver was a Taylor Made Burner
What was in my bag before I sold it:
Great Big Bertha Callaway driver
Ping 3W
played with Adams and Cleveland irons, but kept Nike Sling Shots in my bag (I was just more accurate with them for some reason)
Always hung on to my original cheap ass 60° lob
and putted with an Odyssey two ball

Now that I'm no longer married, I don't need golf as an excuse to get away.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2021, 10:05 PM   #38
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Finally bought a new set of irons. Went with Taylor Made 770s - hit the range this morning and they feel great and can easily work the ball. Will find out how they feel on the course tomorrow…
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2021, 08:31 PM   #39
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Got 3 tee times at Half Moon Bay Monday morning August 2nd if anyone wants to join. 5 slots left. Tee times are 9:10, 9:20, 9:40.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2021, 06:20 PM   #40
19M5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongoxxx View Post
Finally bought a new set of irons. Went with Taylor Made 770s - hit the range this morning and they feel great and can easily work the ball. Will find out how they feel on the course tomorrow…
Nice. Stock KBS shafts or something else?

I still have my P790s w Nippon Modus, can’t see ever playing with anything else.

2016 Dodge Charger HC
2005 E55 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 05:07 AM   #41
Bongoxxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16HC View Post
Nice. Stock KBS shafts or something else?

I still have my P790s w Nippon Modus, can’t see ever playing with anything else.
Stock KBS extra stiff steel shafts - would have been quite a wait if I wanted to special order.

Liking the irons more and more with each round - 79 at Timber Ridge yesterday http://www.timberridgegolf.net/
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2021, 11:17 PM   #42
19M5
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bongoxxx View Post
Stock KBS extra stiff steel shafts - would have been quite a wait if I wanted to special order.

Liking the irons more and more with each round - 79 at Timber Ridge yesterday http://www.timberridgegolf.net/
Nice!

2016 Dodge Charger HC
2005 E55 AMG Wagon
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2021, 11:43 AM   #43
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Shot a personal best 78 at Half Moon Bay the other day!

We stopped on 17 to let the group behind us catch up but after like 10 minutes still didn't see them so we pressed on to 18...waited again...still didn't see them...finished the round.

Turned out they had a really, really, really bad slow dude join their group off the 1st tee. They were still finishing up 16 by the time I did some shopping in the pro shop, hit the restroom, had a drink, and one of the other guys from my group drove home before they finished.

So we probably could have clocked a solid 3 hour round.
Appreciate 1
Bongoxxx804.00
      10-20-2021, 12:37 PM   #44
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Played Black Horse in Monterey on Sunday.

Beautiful course - absolutely MURDEROUS greens. Holy shit. Far more difficult than Pebble or Spyglass in my opinion. Shot a 93 with 43 putts, my buddy shot an 86 with 35 putts. We're about the same handicap but I really struggled with the greens. He had some fantastic wedge shots that stuck near the flags while I could barely get my chipping together to set up properly, resulting in much longer putts.

If your chip wasn't dead on the money, buh bye there it goes 50 feet past.

There are no flat spots whatsoever on any of the greens. Also, the back 9 greens are harder than the front - I had 18 putts on the front and 25 on the back.

Bayonet will be the next Monterey course I play, though I'm also hitting Carmel Valley Ranch on Thanksgiving.
Appreciate 0