Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK New Order G21 M340d

11-15-2021, 01:42 PM   #23
Space Cadet
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M50, E71 40dx, E46 330 vert

The build date has moved steadily backwards and now has more options removed. Looked at a 5-series earlier and the options on those are now unavailable too. A second conversation with my Dealer revealed the situation is likely to get worse still. The annoyance for me is the lack of transparency by both BMW and their UK Customer Service team with the Configurator not matching what Dealers are seeing.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 02:45 PM   #24
Zorrotwo
Private
Rep
Drives: F31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Cadet View Post
The build date has moved steadily backwards and now has more options removed. Looked at a 5-series earlier and the options on those are now unavailable too. A second conversation with my Dealer revealed the situation is likely to get worse still. The annoyance for me is the lack of transparency by both BMW and their UK Customer Service team with the Configurator not matching what Dealers are seeing.
That sucks. And, am sure there will be not be a huge price reduction!
Appreciate 1
jrah79.50
      11-15-2021, 02:47 PM   #25
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

I presume the small print allows BMW to break the contract that you signed. Presuming you aren't a cash buyer, I'd seriously work on BMW to agree to the same finance deal on a used complete with options at the same rate as a new car.
      11-16-2021, 02:23 PM   #26
Space Cadet
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Going to see them this weekend. If no deal then we’ll defer and wait for the LCI version, or just possibly go and look at an i4 in MSport or M50 guise. I think deferring is the most likely option.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2021, 08:27 PM   #27
waxz225
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Prospective G21 M340d Owner

I ordered my 340d at the beginning of October and I have just found out that I have now been given a build slot of week 18. They haven’t mentioned anything about no touchscreen etc. the only thing on my order which is missing is the wireless charging and lumbar which has been ‘deleted’.

For the people who have got there cars already how reliable is the build week they give you? Do BMW stick to this or is it generally quicker. The dealer (park Lane ) reckons the date will change and probably be brought forward?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 04:12 AM   #28
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxz225 View Post
I ordered my 340d at the beginning of October and I have just found out that I have now been given a build slot of week 18. They haven’t mentioned anything about no touchscreen etc. the only thing on my order which is missing is the wireless charging and lumbar which has been ‘deleted’.

For the people who have got there cars already how reliable is the build week they give you? Do BMW stick to this or is it generally quicker. The dealer (park Lane ) reckons the date will change and probably be brought forward?
week 18? wow - that's insanely close to the LCI SOP, to the point you might as well just wait another month!

I ordered 1/11 and my prod is week 2 (g21 m340i)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 05:29 AM   #29
N44RTT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
week 18? wow - that's insanely close to the LCI SOP, to the point you might as well just wait another month!

I'll be following your updates closely then. Mine is supposed to be week 3
'15 LCI F30 330d M Sport Plus in EBII
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2021, 03:24 PM   #30
Space Cadet
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The date on mine went out to Week 18 but has now come forward again to week 10 - assuming that we don’t cancel and re-order as soon as the LCI opens up for customer orders (January ish?). The lead time seems to depend upon options. Dealer told me he has an official bulletin from BMW stating that from Production Week 42 there will be a ‘temporary’ removal of touchscreen and automatic reverse parking functions, with control of the other functions via the controller knob only. Applies to all 3 & 4 series and Z4 models equipped with System 7. A software update will remove the touchscreen functionality.

No indication of how long ‘temporary’ is however he’s not expecting it to re-appear and that the situation will get worse. BMW GB are keeping quiet about what ‘temporary’ means. I just don’t trust them with anything at present. The lack of transparency is doing BMW’s reputation no good at all, and yes I know it’s an industry wide issue, but it’s how they deal with it that is important to customers.

I4 lead times are well into 2022, possibly Q4, so that’s not an option. It isn’t the car I want anyway.

EDIT: i4 fitted with air suspension and my wife and son are both motion sickness sensitive. Air suspension triggers it so that option has gone. Will be a delayed LCI 3-er or another brand now.

Last edited by Space Cadet; 11-20-2021 at 10:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2021, 04:59 PM   #31
DawleyBMW
Rep
Drives: Mercedes Xclass

Quote:
Quote:
I ordered my 340d at the beginning of October and I have just found out that I have now been given a build slot of week 18. They haven't mentioned anything about no touchscreen etc. the only thing on my order which is missing is the wireless charging and lumbar which has been 'deleted'.

Quote:
Quote:
I ordered my 340d at the beginning of October and I have just found out that I have now been given a build slot of week 18. They haven't mentioned anything about no touchscreen etc. the only thing on my order which is missing is the wireless charging and lumbar which has been 'deleted'.

Any reason why you yourself aren't gonna wait another couple of months?
Once a new model (facelift is announced) and orders get taken it's normally a good 6months before they actually start coming into dealerships. The facelift X3 took 6 months or so once the dealerships started taking orders 🤔
The facelift is coming but would it not be September 22? Seeing as were now almost December and still no official word…
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2021, 12:29 AM   #32
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawleyBMW View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:

Any reason why you yourself aren't gonna wait another couple of months?
Once a new model (facelift is announced) and orders get taken it's normally a good 6months before they actually start coming into dealerships. The facelift X3 took 6 months or so once the dealerships started taking orders 🤔
The facelift is coming but would it not be September 22? Seeing as were now almost December and still no official word…
Because for me personally I hate the dashboard in the i4 with the huge curved screen and loss of physical buttons.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2021, 04:05 AM   #33
Space Cadet
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Have now agreed with the Dealer that if there is no indication of the spec improving we will cancel the order in mid-Dec.

At present the indications aren’t good.

The Dealer is having more and more people reject or cancel orders across the product range. We agreed with them that if the company accepts the order then they should know they have the parts to build it. It seems certain if the motor manufacturers have a more arrogant attitude. Yes they need to keep the factories moving, but if they can’t actually build a certain version or spec then stop offering it. The UK car configurator will still let you build a car you can’t even order at the moment and with no warnings about shortages. BMW GB asked me to tell them which versions!! It was pointed out very firmly that it’s their system and they should know what they can’t build at present, and not expect the customers to tell them!
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2021, 10:59 AM   #34
Scottish0177
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340D touring Oxide grey

Quote:
Have now agreed with the Dealer that if there is no indication of the spec improving we will cancel the order in mid-Dec.

At present the indications aren’t good.

The Dealer is having more and more people reject or cancel orders across the product range. We agreed with them that if the company accepts the order then they should know they have the parts to build it. It seems certain if the motor manufacturers have a more arrogant attitude. Yes they need to keep the factories moving, but if they can’t actually build a certain version or spec then stop offering it. The UK car configurator will still let you build a car you can’t even order at the moment and with no warnings about shortages. BMW GB asked me to tell them which versions!! It was pointed out very firmly that it’s their system and they should know what they can’t build at present, and not expect the customers to tell them!
Just a crappy situation altogether, and one that bmw should take ownership of and start giving out up to date information to prospective buyers and those with orders already in.
It’s no wonder people are cancelling, but are they going to be better of elsewhere….probably not
For me I’ve always wanted to own a bmw and am in the position now to do so so I can put up with my ever changing build date for a bit but my attitude towards bmw as a company isn’t great as there is no excuse for not keeping customers in the loop…I’m an adult, if there are significant delays so be it, communicate that to me and I would know.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 11:06 AM   #35
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep

If you sign on the dotted line, is that not a contract?
      11-28-2021, 11:17 AM   #36
ramparts
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie (Wessex) View Post
A contract is between both parties. If bmw can't hold up their end, the buyer is within his rights to exit the contract
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 11:44 AM   #37
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep

Quote:
A contract is between both parties. If bmw can't hold up their end, the buyer is within his rights to exit the contract
Yes, but the question was rather more about their obligations.
      11-28-2021, 01:55 PM   #38
dpazz
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring LCI

IMO that I've signed for a car that has a specficiation as stated on the order sheet. So if my order comes with anything less, I have the right to cancel the order or reject the car on delivery. That is, unless the dealership gives me a document that asks for my permission to amend the original order specification.

The LCI for me is just as uncertain as further deletions or delays to an order.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2021, 04:46 PM   #39
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie (Wessex) View Post
It is but also depends on the terms on which you "contract".
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2021, 01:56 PM   #40
Space Cadet
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

The Dealer is happy to let me cancel with no argument as the car will not be ‘as ordered’. No problem with getting the deposit back either.

In the current conditions I think it’s just a case of sitting this out for a few more months to see how the market improves. The semi-conductor factories are almost back at full production but the backlogs are yet to clear.

We have other vehicles so can wait a bit. Going elsewhere will be no better. A colleague has a nearly new VW with an engine management unit fault. He’s been told no spares for at least 3 months! He’s in a loaner now.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 03:32 AM   #41
Space Cadet
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Order cancelled this morning. Apple Car Play no longer avail until new software is released in June ‘22 - it doesn’t work without the touchscreen.

Dealer doesn’t believe that any of the ‘temporarily withdrawn’ options will reappear and that others may be withdrawn now as well. Items such as adaptive suspension and the HK audio could be impacted.

Not paying that much for a hobbled car. We’ll wait to see what happens with the LCI version next year.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 03:47 AM   #42
N44RTT
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Order cancelled this morning. Apple Car Play no longer avail until new software is released in June ‘22 - it doesn’t work without the touchscreen.

Dealer doesn’t believe that any of the ‘temporarily withdrawn’ options will reappear and that others may be withdrawn now as well. Items such as adaptive suspension and the HK audio could be impacted.

Not paying that much for a hobbled car. We’ll wait to see what happens with the LCI version next year.
So the CarPlay omission is becoming a thing across most orders now it seems

I'm not convinced it has anything to do with the touchscreen though. You can control it just fine with the iDrive wheel. I have CarPlay in my current car and never touch the screen
'15 LCI F30 330d M Sport Plus in EBII
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2021, 04:05 AM   #43
DawleyBMW
Rep
Drives: Mercedes Xclass

Quote:
Order cancelled this morning. Apple Car Play no longer avail until new software is released in June '22 - it doesn't work without the touchscreen.

Dealer doesn't believe that any of the 'temporarily withdrawn' options will reappear and that others may be withdrawn now as well. Items such as adaptive suspension and the HK audio could be impacted.

Not paying that much for a hobbled car. We'll wait to see what happens with the LCI version next year.
If apple CarPlay goes then I'll be cancelling order also.
Wireless charging
Touchscreen
Apple CarPlay
THEN LCI gets released end of next year
Be like throwing money down drain🤯
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2021, 04:56 AM   #44
G82Dude
-
Rep
Drives: M4CMxD

Touch sensitive pad in the middle of the iDrive controller is also no more from build week 5 next year.

Be the steering wheel next!

Saying that though, other manufacturers (Stellantis) have stopped some/most of their multi-function steering wheel features on some models.

Last edited by G82Dude; 12-25-2021 at 06:03 AM..
Appreciate 0