Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Buying a 430 today. Question

10-16-2021, 07:10 AM   #1
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 650i Xdrve

Buying a 430 today. Question

We are going the dealership today to buy a 430 and the sales person said he can change the specs because it hasnt been built yet. Ok great, but he also said it would be here toward the end of november beginning of december. That sounds really fast to be given the thing isnt even built yet. Does that fit in the timelines other have seen?
They are 'only' charging MSRP, no markup which i think is odd given when we bought our lexus a little over a month ago, i couldnt find any dealership to not put an additional markup over msrp.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 07:56 AM   #2
springerdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340xi

You may not be able to get every option you want due to shortages, and those you add may be removed from the build. If you order a car today you will not get it by early December. You'll be lucky to get it by February. Sorry, but that's the reality. Dealers will BS you on this to get the sale. We ordered our M340i in August. The dealers said 8 weeks. That was 8 weeks ago and the car has not even started production yet.

Regarding ADM, most are not adding it, but some are. MSRP and hopefully some incentive at delivery is what you should expect.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 10:39 AM   #3
Flippco
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 XM40i, Honda Passport

Patience will be the key as there are all sorts of delays and shortages. Not just chips and materials but anything transportation related is causing massive delays and the crappy thing is everything is so unpredictable so be ready to wait and don’t be surprised if options change. It’s really hard to predict so be wary of communicated timelines.

Also make sure you have all the pricing details in writing.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 10:48 AM   #4
sfbimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Monaco Blue Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdog2964 View Post
We are going the dealership today to buy a 430 and the sales person said he can change the specs because it hasnt been built yet. Ok great, but he also said it would be here toward the end of november beginning of december. That sounds really fast to be given the thing isnt even built yet. Does that fit in the timelines other have seen?
They are 'only' charging MSRP, no markup which i think is odd given when we bought our lexus a little over a month ago, i couldnt find any dealership to not put an additional markup over msrp.
Hello cdog2964,

Let me try to explain what is the most likely scenario you have. Dealers get allocations (production slots) for these cars (say every month or so). If they have customers waiting for a specific model config, they can order exactly the car such a customer wants. Otherwise dealerships will place orders for cars with configurations they think they can sell. These days the allocations for dealers are limited (eg 2 M440i per allocation cycle as I am waiting for a M440i myself). I presume no dealer will waste an allocation slot, so they will make a generic config order. There is a long delay now ~2-3 months for these cars between order placement & build start. A dealer can alter the original order's options almost completely up until production start. Your dealer seem to have a 430 they are happy to customize for you. Go for it as that is a hard find these days as most people need to wait the full period. MSRP is a decent ask given market condition now.
However, you may be disappointed that BMW removed number of options specially from the 430 series when compared to 440 seres. Still a good car to get unless there are certain must have options you can't get.

As per making sure you got what is agreed, you can do below.
1. Place the order with the dealer. Open dealerships will let you sit with the sales person and place the order. Your sales person can show you the order placed and you can double check the options right there.
2. Ask the dealer for production number. Dealer get this within a day of order placing. They should already have this for a previously placed order
3. Setup an account and track your car using the oder production number. You can also call the BMW genius line and talk to live person to track your car.
Here is a thread on gory details : https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1181156

Hope this helps
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2021, 10:52 AM   #5
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbimmer View Post
Hello cdog2964,

Let me try to explain what is the most likely scenario you have. Dealers get allocations (production slots) for these cars (say every month or so). If they have customers waiting for a specific model config, they can order exactly the car such a customer wants. Otherwise dealerships will place orders for cars with configurations they think they can sell. These days the allocations for dealers are limited (eg 2 M440i per allocation cycle as I am waiting for a M440i myself). I presume no dealer will waste an allocation slot, so they will make a generic config order. There is a long delay now ~2-3 months for these cars between order placement & build start. A dealer can alter the original order's options almost completely up until production start. Your dealer seem to have a 430 they are happy to customize for you. Go for it as that is a hard find these days as most people need to wait the full period. MSRP is a decent ask given market condition now.
However, you may be disappointed that BMW removed number of options specially from the 430 series when compared to 440 seres. Still a good car to get unless there are certain must have options you can't get.

As per making sure you got what is agreed, you can do below.
1. Place the order with the dealer. Open dealerships will let you sit with the sales person and place the order. Your sales person can show you the order placed and you can double check the options right there.
2. Ask the dealer for production number. Dealer get this within a day of order placing. They should already have this for a previously placed order
3. Setup an account and track your car using the oder production number. You can also call the BMW genius line and talk to live person to track your car.
Here is a thread on gory details : https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1181156

Hope this helps
Awesome info SFBIMMER. Thank you. And im really in no rush other than the interest rates going up which i also think is unlikely, at least in the near term.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 12:06 PM   #6
renig
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: m340i

Quote:
Awesome info SFBIMMER. Thank you. And im really in no rush other than the interest rates going up which i also think is unlikely, at least in the near term.
Depending where you live you can lock in at the current rate. I live in FL and am locked in for 60 days. I actually went in and extended because my rate lock was about to expire and I was worried about rates going up.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2021, 10:46 PM   #7
sunglyong2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by renig View Post
Quote:
Depending where you live you can lock in at the current rate. I live in FL and am locked in for 60 days. I actually went in and extended because my rate lock was about to expire and I was worried about rates going up.
I ordered 430i convertible on 9/12 and confirmed build weeks was week 40. But now it was pushed to week 44 and the take out HUD from my build.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 07:04 AM   #8
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep

I did end up 'buying' it yesterday, or at least putting down a deposit and they still claim it will be here early december. I even told them i dont care if it is or isnt, i just want to line up financing at the right time. They still claimed december. We'll see. Hope it is, but not getting my hopes up.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 07:40 AM   #9
Bc2005
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

As already mentioned, their allocation for a specific build week is very important. Ask them for the build week (count forward from the first full week of the calendar year), and then estimate actual production from there. For example, the build week for my 2021 M340i was 14 (5 March) and it arrived in late May.

For a car that arrives in late November, early December it would already be finalized and would most likely be already in production. The only changes would be dealer installed options. The salesman is either clueless, or just blowing smoke to get your deposit.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 06:09 PM   #10
drseuss19
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 x3, 2021 M340i, 2022 M440

Quote:
MSRP is realistic. The timeline they are giving not so much. It will probably be a month longer than that due to stop sales.

Lexus is an absolute pain in the ass to deal with. I was looking at Lexus as well and in my opinion they are a step below BMW, yet were asking for far more. They wanted $60,000 for athe Is 350 F sport with only a couple options added and I thought that was hilarious when you can get a superior M340i for the same price. Will never even consider Lexus again after that shit.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2021, 06:13 PM   #11
springerdrive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I did end up 'buying' it yesterday, or at least putting down a deposit and they still claim it will be here early december. I even told them i dont care if it is or isnt, i just want to line up financing at the right time. They still claimed december. We'll see. Hope it is, but not getting my hopes up.
It's possible that your dealer had an allocation for week 43 (next week), in which case your car should go into production this week and you might get it by early December. Figure about 8 weeks from the build week as a best-case scenario.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 10:10 AM   #12
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfbimmer View Post
If a dealer has an allocation, it has a production number already. If there are no available allocations, there is no production number and any order placed will be Status 47.
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 02:03 PM   #13
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears View Post
If a dealer has an allocation, it has a production number already. If there are no available allocations, there is no production number and any order placed will be Status 47.
The status just says scheduled for production, but doesnt give a week number. assuming that means it isnt in production yet.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 02:04 PM   #14
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
The status just says scheduled for production, but doesnt give a week number. assuming that means it isnt in production yet.
that's status 112, it will have a production week assigned--and relatively soon
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 02:32 PM   #15
sfbimmer
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i Monaco Blue Manual

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears View Post
You get a buildweek with prod number. Call bmw genius line to get it.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2021, 04:40 PM   #16
howiegu
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 22%E2%80%99 M440

My lease ends next March. The CA called me in August reminding me to order the next one earlier this time around.

I ordered a 4er in August. I'm now just in queue for "scheduled for production". Along the wait, there were options be deleted from the build due to "supply chain issues".
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 07:35 AM   #17
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep

Is there somewhere on the BMW website that shows the week status? Mine just says 'Production Begins'
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 09:29 AM   #18
springerdrive
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Is there somewhere on the BMW website that shows the week status? Mine just says 'Production Begins'
No. You have to call the Genius Line for that: (844) 443-6487. Their phone menu system is total shit. Just keep hitting 0 until you get a live person. You may need to give him/her your production number.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 10:50 AM   #19
sunglyong2
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X7

Quote:
Quote:
or you can text your service advisor. He can easily look up from his computer.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2021, 10:41 AM   #20
MontyP
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 530e

I ordered my M440i back in June and paid a deposit to get it in as part of the dealer's allocation. It was supposed to be here in August or September. I was advised that it had shipped on October 13.

Last week, I received an email saying it is back at the port in Germany awaiting replacement of recalled modules due to a "supplier issue". No current ETA on delivery date although unlikely to be in 2021. Sadly, the tracking option is not available through My BMW in Canada. You can only get updates through the selling dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2022, 02:54 PM   #21
cdog2964
Private First Class
Rep

So, to close the loop on this thread, we did receive our new 430i yesterday and had a great experience. It was ordered mid October so a bit of a wait, but not horrible based on some other posts i have read and it is just a 'toy' so no burning need for us to have it immediately. The dealership didnt try to play any games with us in regards to additional markup and overall, was a great experience. Overall, in a very tight new car market, this transaction ended up being very smooth.
Appreciate 2
      02-24-2022, 12:06 AM   #22
Bernai
Rep
Drives: 430I Convertible

Good to hear. I ordered my 430i November 4. Still waiting for the stop sale to clear though. Hopefully it comes soon. I really look forward to the end of this journey 😀
Appreciate 0