Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Logos Engineering 5 inch Down Pipe

10-28-2021, 04:35 PM   #1
Daywalker007
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i Xdrive

Logos Engineering 5 inch Down Pipe

This is my first post here so bare with me and take it easy on me. I have been reading a lot of information from other users and have taken it all to heart when purchasing products for my B58 M340i Xdrive. I have done several small things for cosmetics but the post today is specifically for the Logos Engineering 5 inch catted down pipe I just received.

This is a bit of a teaser unless someone else has already posted their install. I plan to do the install this weekend and then post before and after sound clips if I can figure out how to do that. I am not very digitally inclined. I may try to film the install with my gopro and post that as well, no promises on that one.

I purchased this DP based on the reviews from others who have purchased previous versions and the price. Based on initial impressions this thing is as solid as they come but somehow still not that heavy. I am impressed and can’t wait to finish the install and hear the sound difference and hopefully the better throttle response. More to follow as things progress.

Till next time…..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 10:17 AM   #2
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Im not familiar with the brand and can't find their website. Would you mind sharing more info on this downpipe?

How much does it cost, and what kind of cats do they use

and most importantly, please report back on fitment once you get it installed

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 11:14 AM   #3
AddictedTo///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

https://www.logosengineeringmotorwor...ra-2020-z4-g29

Is this the one you went with?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 11:26 AM   #4
Daywalker007
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedTo///M View Post
That is the one I went with. There are other threads about the previous 4 inch version with great feedback and reviews.
Appreciate 2
      10-29-2021, 11:29 AM   #5
Daywalker007
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Im not familiar with the brand and can't find their website. Would you mind sharing more info on this downpipe?

How much does it cost, and what kind of cats do they use

and most importantly, please report back on fitment once you get it installed
Addicted’s post after yours links to the website with all the information you requested.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 11:41 AM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Looks like it uses generic cats, it's on the expensive side when compared to other brands using similar cats.

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 11:50 AM   #7
AddictedTo///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker007 View Post
That is the one I went with. There are other threads about the previous 4 inch version with great feedback and reviews.
Nice! I will look forward to your review. I wonder if there is any chance it won't throw a CEL being a 200 cell... I have a 2022 on order and would love to run a downpipe until flashing capabilities are released.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 12:24 PM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nice! I will look forward to your review. I wonder if there is any chance it won't throw a CEL being a 200 cell... I have a 2022 on order and would love to run a downpipe until flashing capabilities are released.
it'll throw a check engine light within 100 miles. the only way around it is by using GESI or HJS cats.

Unfortunately, they won't be able to offer their downpipe at that price if they are using either cat.

Appreciate 1
      10-29-2021, 01:43 PM   #9
AddictedTo///M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
it'll throw a check engine light within 100 miles. the only way around it is by using GESI or HJS cats.

Unfortunately, they won't be able to offer their downpipe at that price if they are using either cat.
Great to know! I'll most likely be contacting you for AA downpipe then!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2021, 04:18 PM   #10
Daywalker007
Private
Rep

Quote:
They included an O2 sensor extension with different size jets/restrictive inserts and asked me to try first without the jets/restrictive inserts. Then if the CEL comes on go largest to smallest until it is gone. Logos is always looking for feedback so they can improve and asked me to keep them informed of how it all goes.

I did not anticipate a vendor coming and pooping all over my good news. I don’t really care what anyone else is saying because I have already done my research and there are plenty of options to work out the CEL if it does come on. https://www.fabspeed.com/universal-o2-spacer-with-catalytic-converter-single/

I am sure Mike@X-PH will have something negative to say about fabspeed as well. I spend my money how I want.

Eventually when they are able to tune our cars then they can work the CEL issue if it is an issue.

Addicted, I will keep you informed on this thread and anyone else who is interested.

I would appreciate vendors not coming on here to bash my choice. That will never result in a sale in future. Be happy for me and if you can’t and are sadistic then silently hope it doesn’t work out for me.
Appreciate 1
      10-29-2021, 04:24 PM   #11
Daywalker007
Private
Rep

https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1791867

Here is a link to the thread where I first found out about Logos. I am a fan and their customer service is top notch. I have nothing but good things to say about them. They constantly answered emails within 24 hours and I sent a lot so I would not have blamed them if they stopped replying LOL.

They also shipped to my APO in Germany which has been a bit of an issue with other companies sometimes. It was just an all around good experience.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 12:18 AM   #12
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

I was the first person to buy their 5” downpipe and my car was used to test fit it. My installer said it fit perfect. Customer service was great and they even followed up with me last week asking how it was working for me and asked about the CEL. Unfortunately my check engine light has been on for about a year for a small evap leak but I can’t do anything about it at the dealer because I have a tune and if I take it there they will likely do a firmware update and it will lock my DME so I just live with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 12:21 AM   #13
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Hey I also just noticed they have the video clip I sent them of my car on their website. Too bad my car was so dirty that day.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 10:19 AM   #14
Daywalker007
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patgilm View Post
I was the first person to buy their 5” downpipe and my car was used to test fit it. My installer said it fit perfect. Customer service was great and they even followed up with me last week asking how it was working for me and asked about the CEL. Unfortunately my check engine light has been on for about a year for a small evap leak but I can’t do anything about it at the dealer because I have a tune and if I take it there they will likely do a firmware update and it will lock my DME so I just live with it.
That is awesome that you got your DP from Logos so early as the tester. I was going to install today but had a minor incident yesterday and it is raining all day today so working outside doesn’t seem reasonable. Hopefully tomorrow will be better for the install. My M340i is a 2022 with no leaks so hopefully I can give them good feedback on the CEL and what flow restrictor works best.

How did you like the sound difference? Did you notice better throttle response and acceleration?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 12:36 PM   #15
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That is awesome that you got your DP from Logos so early as the tester. I was going to install today but had a minor incident yesterday and it is raining all day today so working outside doesn’t seem reasonable. Hopefully tomorrow will be better for the install. My M340i is a 2022 with no leaks so hopefully I can give them good feedback on the CEL and what flow restrictor works best.

How did you like the sound difference? Did you notice better throttle response and acceleration?
Yeah I ordered right when they were switching over from the 4.5" to the 5" and they sent me their last 4.5" and 5" versions in case the 5" version didn't fit but it did so I sent the 4.5" back.

I was worried about whether the sound of the 5" would be too loud but the only time I notice it being loud is on cold startup and then when in comfort mode it doesn't sound much different than stock. In sport + it opens it up and sounds nice. As far as acceleration, I haven't properly tested it yet. I have a baseline without the high flow cat and I ran a best of 11.77 at around 117 on my draggy. I went out to see if there was any improvement with the high flow cat a few months ago and I couldn't figure out why my car wasn't going into launch mode and it didn't make a measurable difference. Then I realized on my way home that I forgot to turn the traction control off to engage launch mode. I am going to try and go back out and see if I can get a proper run soon to see what the difference is.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 06:49 AM   #16
Daywalker007
Private
Rep

Good information. I am torn between getting this DP installed ASAP and waiting to get some proper 0-60 runs and 1/4 mile runs with stock setup and using my dragy. I really would like to get some good data before install so that I can make a fair comparison after the install. Today is a perfect day for the install but my wife dropped a honey do list on me. Maybe waiting is going to happen regardless.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 08:29 PM   #17
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I did not anticipate a vendor coming and pooping all over my good news. I don't really care what anyone else is saying because I have already done my research and there are plenty of options to work out the CEL if it does come on. https://www.fabspeed.com/universal-o...verter-single/

I am sure Mike@X-PH will have something negative to say about fabspeed as well. I spend my money how I want.

I would appreciate vendors not coming on here to bash my choice. That will never result in a sale in future. Be happy for me and if you can't and are sadistic then silently hope it doesn't work out for me.

@AddictedTo///M asked if there is a chance it won't throw a check engine light. I told him there is not since it uses generic cats (fact) and stated that to offer higher quality cats, they need to raise their price (also a fact).

I did not bash the brand in any way, as we offer downpipes with generic cats that throw a check engine light. There is nothing wrong with that. It's a cheaper option for customers who don't care about the check engine light or use a tune to hide it. I Don't get the overreaction as I did not attack your choice or the brand in any way.

I will leave this thread per your request, my apologies for hurting your feelings.

Appreciate 3
      11-02-2021, 12:41 AM   #18
RKT SHP
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car

Looking forward to your feedback on this and your experience with the CEL.

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      11-02-2021, 07:29 PM   #19
Boosted6
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 Skyscraper

I dont know how you personally define a cat as being "generic", seems like if a catalytic converter is not HJS or GESI then its "generic", if thats the case then that's your relative (and most likely biased) opinion.

Those are awesome high end brands but not the be all end all and do not guarantee a NO Cel in every case. case in point, one DP maker had to increase their cell count on their substrate because even their 300 cell were causing CEL's. hence they switched over to 400 cell count.

400 is too close to the 600 or so of OEM stock in my opinion. The L.E.M down-pipe is a great option for those who ultimately are going to get stage 2 tuned (a must if going with a high flow downpipe). and can either tune tune their 02 sensor our use mechanical tuning via a 02 spacer.

I know for a fact they use ECOCAT out of italy for most of their models and chosen because they have the swirl pattern (2 middle points, that last longer) and are very well built. Im running their original 4.5 inch with 2000+ miles with a spacer and no CEL. a co-worker is running their 5" DP on their supra with No CEL and 300+ miles and counting .

"it's on the expensive side when compared to other brands using similar cats"

That conclusion was made without any proper information, just on a biased assumption.
Daywalker007 you'r gonna love the new found sound, and the quality especially when seen in person speaks for itself.

if i trade in my m340i for the facelift im definitely getting the 5", which is currently the largest DP on the market currently.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 09:33 PM   #20
G_B58
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 340xi

CG precision is also 5", when i spoke with Steve at Logos he mentioned they found the sound very similar between the two.
I eneded up going with AA, but definitely would have gone with logos if they had it in stock a few months back.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2021, 11:49 AM   #21
RKT SHP
United_States
Rep
Drives: a car

Any more feedback and this.....specifically keeping the check engine light off.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 11:09 AM   #22
Daywalker007
Private
Rep

For some reason I do not get email notifications when someone adds a post to this thread. Tried changing my settings but must have missed something.

Quick post just to let you all know I am done with the install. Install was not bad at all and the new sound is superb! I am going to keep my stock exhaust because the sound is so nice. I am going to get sound clips but I know it won’t do the DP justice. No CEL so far but I am going to go for a long drive Sunday just to test it out and break it in. I have to run an errand but I will post a longer summary later on the install.
Appreciate 1
jpowers36218.00