Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Touch screens removed as an option

10-30-2021, 08:29 PM   #45
leocce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerdrive View Post
ATTENTION MODERATORS: Political B.S. cleanup required on isle https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...1870408&page=2
is there a way to block people like this guy?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 08:38 PM   #46
Wak999
Rep
Drives: M440i GC (week 44)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drseuss19 View Post
From this site. Someone had a link that allowed you to put in your vin and it pulled up your vehicles status. Apparently, so far, I’m being told it only affected 4 series first orders of gran coupes. It was confirmed by my SA.
Can you please share the link?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 08:39 PM   #47
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
True, except if you compare the iDrive 7 GUI to original iDrive or even iDrive 4, it's easy to see how the later generations of iDrive were designed with touchscreen taken into account. There's a lot more on screen these days and I suspect it will require quite a bit of controller twirling and pushing to navigate some screens and menus.
Correct, iDrive 7 is also designed for touchscreen interface moreso than iDrive 6. However, this is also the first iDrive version fully mature in all three interfaces - iDrive knob, touchscreen, and voice recognition. Removing the touchscreen still makes iDrive 7 the best iDrive system so far.

I do understand those that want to cancel their orders if no touchscreen just because that is a feature removed from a build. Nobody wants a car with fewer features than before. But iDrive has never been a system that breaks if anything other than the knob is gone.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 08:52 PM   #48
leocce
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wak999 View Post
Can you please share the link?
https://www.mdecoder.com/

????
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 09:12 PM   #49
drseuss19
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 x3, 2021 M340i, 2022 M440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encanto View Post
Correct, iDrive 7 is also designed for touchscreen interface moreso than iDrive 6. However, this is also the first iDrive version fully mature in all three interfaces - iDrive knob, touchscreen, and voice recognition. Removing the touchscreen still makes iDrive 7 the best iDrive system so far.

I do understand those that want to cancel their orders if no touchscreen just because that is a feature removed from a build. Nobody wants a car with fewer features than before. But iDrive has never been a system that breaks if anything other than the knob is gone.
My SA told me it will also remove hand gestures as well as the rear brake assist or what have you. Not sure if that’s the camera or what.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 09:18 PM   #50
Encanto
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
My SA told me it will also remove hand gestures as well as the rear brake assist or what have you. Not sure if that’s the camera or what.
Hand gesture sensors are in the roof liner and not in the screen, so this is another feature removed in addition to the touchscreen.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2021, 09:22 PM   #51
drseuss19
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hand gesture sensors are in the roof liner and not in the screen, so this is another feature removed in addition to the touchscreen.
Sneaky SoBs.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 03:32 AM   #52
Colliwobbles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Quote:

In that case why are they having write amended software for non touchscreens, and guess which cars won’t get software updates to fix bugs when there will be relatively few of them
Appreciate 1
      10-31-2021, 06:33 AM   #53
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colliwobbles View Post
Quote:

In that case why are they having write amended software for non touchscreens, and guess which cars won’t get software updates to fix bugs when there will be relatively few of them
This will not be an issue, as you describe. BMW will write the non touchscreen code and it will become part of future istep releases. As they do now, and have done for years, based on VIN, the appropriate vehicle option code is written to iDrive during a iStep/firmware update.

And we have no idea how long this issue will persist. Could be weeks or possibly longer.
      10-31-2021, 11:20 AM   #54
CommonSpottedCuscus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E36 316i Compact - 100HP beast

Hi People,

I just wanted to express my solidarity to everyone involved. I know I would've been pretty bummed.
On the other hand if you just need a justification to move forward with your purchase, I have my 340 for 3 days and the smudges on the screen are already killing me. Gesture control is meh at best. (I only picked the premium package for the HUD) Where I see maybe the only somewhat serious limitation is if you have to type in an address but for example Andorid Auto, what I use pulls up the keyboard on the phone as well when it's needed and there's always the voice assistants.
Good luck and I hope ya'all eventually get the car that you need, want and deserve.
Appreciate 4
      10-31-2021, 02:24 PM   #55
drseuss19
Private
Rep

I have a fully loaded M340i and I use the screen and hand gestures all the time. There’s no way I can purchase a higher end vehicle or with out those two things included. I don’t see how people can have them and say they don’t use them. They make everything so much more stream lined.

I can get over the power seats being removed but no touchscreen or hand gestures? Absolutely not.
Appreciate 1
rico2537.00
      10-31-2021, 04:11 PM   #56
CommonSpottedCuscus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E36 316i Compact - 100HP beast

Quote:
I don’t see how people can have them and say they don’t use them.
Is that a question or an opinion about my preferences?

Here's the thing, it doesn't even matter because they can't have it. Now you can debate whether it's worth to buy a luxury vehicle without these features or not but justifying any luxury purchase based on utility is somewhat difficult anyway.
You mentioned a $15k Honda in another thread. A typical low/mid segment car has for example about 30-40 microcontrollers in it. They can easily double that in luxury cars. There's a shortage, something has to go. I work at an electronics company, we legit buy parts normally costing $20 from 3rd party stock for over $1000 just to keep our production lines running. And it's not a unique issue to BMW, the first thing I see after a random google search on an Mercedes AMG forum is people complaining about options dropped from their build.
Anyway is it a bummer? Yes. Does it make the car inoperable or unenjoyable? Maybe to some, yes. I totally believe it's an important feature for you and many others. Maybe others can still enjoy the powertrain and whatnot and negotiate a bit harder on the price with their dealer. One thing is for sure, being agitated about it won't solve anything and the real smart decision is always going to be not to buy any luxury product ever.

Last edited by CommonSpottedCuscus; 10-31-2021 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 3
      10-31-2021, 05:15 PM   #57
trife.
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 X3MC x Porsche Cayenne

Quote:
I have a fully loaded M340i and I use the screen and hand gestures all the time. There’s no way I can purchase a higher end vehicle or with out those two things included. I don’t see how people can have them and say they don’t use them. They make everything so much more stream lined.

I can get over the power seats being removed but no touchscreen or hand gestures? Absolutely not.
Where has it been said that gesture control is gone?? That's a separate thing included with the Premium package that has nothing to do with the screen, no?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2021, 11:56 PM   #58
kmershly
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW, Lexus, Nissan and a GMC

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Ime touch controller is either something folks care about and use all the time or don't care about and rarely use.

Me, I would prefer Adaptive Suspension over a touchscreen, but that is just me.

In my case I did not get neither Adaptive Suspension nor Parking Assistant and I would have happily traded both for the touch screen, but that is me and others may and probably disagree.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 06:33 AM   #59
Aziego
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 330, 2023 X5, 2023 i4

My car was scheduled for production on 10/12. So far nothing has been done to it since per my BMW status, although the genius hotline previously told me that it was targeted to be completed today 11/1. I do not see the delete touch screen packaged added to my order so I am hoping that it is not deleted.

I am not sure how I feel about it if it is deleted. I am using iD6 with the knob and it is livable. There are times when I would like a touch screen since I almost exclusively use Apple CarPlay. Most of those occasions are when I want to change the zoom of the map since CarPlay has a mind of its own when it display maps. I most likely will keep the order but like many of you when I spend this much on a car, I would like to be pampered with all the features I want whether I use it often or not.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 10:11 AM   #60
drseuss19
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by trife. View Post
Where has it been said that gesture control is gone?? That's a separate thing included with the Premium package that has nothing to do with the screen, no?
My SA told me when discussing it that the vehicles without touchscreen will also be missing hand gesture controls. I’d talk to BMW genius before taking it as fact as he also said my initial order had power seats which turned out not to be true.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 10:42 AM   #61
P_Leotardo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i Xdrive

This turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Not only did I get my deposit from my order baxk but I found one locally with the features I wanted and more. The only difference is the color and I’ll settle for that.

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 10:48 AM   #62
justbananas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Leotardo View Post
This turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Not only did I get my deposit from my order baxk but I found one locally with the features I wanted and more. The only difference is the color and I’ll settle for that.

oooo that's a nice build right there. Did you snag it?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 11:09 AM   #63
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aziego View Post
My car was scheduled for production on 10/12. So far nothing has been done to it since per my BMW status, although the genius hotline previously told me that it was targeted to be completed today 11/1. I do not see the delete touch screen packaged added to my order so I am hoping that it is not deleted.

I am not sure how I feel about it if it is deleted. I am using iD6 with the knob and it is livable. There are times when I would like a touch screen since I almost exclusively use Apple CarPlay. Most of those occasions are when I want to change the zoom of the map since CarPlay has a mind of its own when it display maps. I most likely will keep the order but like many of you when I spend this much on a car, I would like to be pampered with all the features I want whether I use it often or not.
Is your car being built in Germany or Mexico ? Mine is scheduled to finish on Wednesday, Nov.3rd in Munich. Keeping my fingers crossed that it will have a Touch Screen !

Last edited by DerekS; 11-01-2021 at 02:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 11:53 AM   #64
P_Leotardo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by justbananas View Post
oooo that's a nice build right there. Did you snag it?
Yessir

Last edited by P_Leotardo; 11-01-2021 at 12:32 PM..
Appreciate 3
      11-01-2021, 01:33 PM   #65
weitz
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Toronto Red X4M Competition

Garage List
Week 44 build 430i GC here- spoke with BMW genius today, they said production is scheduled to start on November 5th and the touch screen has not been deleted, nor have there been any other deletions since we put in the order… crossing my fingers….
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2021, 02:19 PM   #66
Wak999
Rep
Drives: M440i GC (week 44)

Week 44 M440i GC here, also spoke with BMW genius today. No notes on any deletes, and the production is scheduled for the week of 11/8.
Appreciate 0