Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Touch screens removed as an option

11-03-2021, 02:04 PM   #89
Cabrio Luv
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M440i Cabriolet - on orde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
What kind of discount/credit are they giving for not including the touch screen? It's so crazy to think that you could buy a "fully loaded" 3 or 4 series but have no touch screen, manual seats, no wireless charging, etc. etc. I feel sorry for anyone looking into the used market a few years from now...you would really have to check every component rather than looking at the packages that were initially included. Crazy times.
Used car buyers and shoppers in the future will still have choice and options whether to buy a higher end vehicle built during these unprecedented times, regardless of brand.

I feel sorry more for those who already owns one of these with missing features and options down the road. All for the meagre credits that they're being offered by manufacturers now if they proceed with their orders. Used car buyers and stealerships will be using these pitfalls as leverage to drive down prices and trade-ins.

Just my 2 cents worth...
2021 - M440i RWD Cabriolet (cancelled order) Dravit Grey on Cognac
2021 - M440i xDrive Coupe TB/Oyster
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 02:06 PM   #90
DerekS
Major
Rep
Drives: '24 X3 M Sport

Deletion of Touch Screen ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by springerdrive View Post
The touchscreen is NOT deleted from our M340xi in production now. Ordered on 8/16, build week 43.
I sure hope that you are correct ! My car is due to finish production today, November 3rd. Apparently, both of our cars are Build Week 43.

In a few days time, your dealer's Parts Manager should be able to search your car's VIN and confirm whether or not your car has the Touch Screen.
      11-03-2021, 02:36 PM   #91
Aziego
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 330, 2023 X5, 2023 i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by drseuss19 View Post
Your orders were both in before the touchscreen removal. It’s a going forward thing.

I’d inquire about power seats.
My order was scheduled for production on 10/12 and confirmed today that the touch screen was removed. No idea when the car will be built, as each week come they keep on pushing the build week to the next one. Was originally a week 42 build, latest info from genius is target for next week.

I'll take the credit, my wife was a little more upset about the touch screen than me since she drives an Odyssey and the infotainment is predominately touch screen based. I've been using the idrive knob for the last 7 years..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 04:21 PM   #92
calbears
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 CS,2017 F87 LBB M2

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekS View Post
I sure hope that you are correct ! My car is due to finish production today, November 3rd. Apparently, both of our cars are Build Week 43.

In a few days time, your dealer's Parts Manager should be able to search your car's VIN and confirm whether or not your car has the Touch Screen.
You can check now. Once the car is production, it will be updated with the touch screen delete (should yours be affected).
Past: E90 328i, F10 535i, F80 M3 (murdered)
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 05:03 PM   #93
springerdrive
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340xi

Quote:
The touchscreen is NOT deleted from our M340xi in production now. Ordered on 8/16, build week 43.
Quote:

Our Dealer already confirmed that the touchscreen has not been deleted.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 05:09 PM   #94
DerekS
Major
Rep

Quote:
Our Dealer already confirmed that the touchscreen has not been deleted.
Good news ! I hope its applies to my car as well !
      11-03-2021, 06:07 PM   #95
Burrcold
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2024 M3 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio Luv View Post
Used car buyers and shoppers in the future will still have choice and options whether to buy a higher end vehicle built during these unprecedented times, regardless of brand.

I feel sorry more for those who already owns one of these with missing features and options down the road. All for the meagre credits that they're being offered by manufacturers now if they proceed with their orders. Used car buyers and stealerships will be using these pitfalls as leverage to drive down prices and trade-ins.

Just my 2 cents worth...
My point was that it's going to take a used car buyer a lot more investigation into what the vehicle ACTUALLY included vs just looking up what option packages typically came with.
      11-03-2021, 06:55 PM   #96
zab
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440iX

My SA also just informed me today that code 6UY shows up on my G26 4GC M440iX. It is a week 44 build and was in status 150 since 10.27. No code shown for back up assist yet.

So sad, and now I have a tough decision to make
If I have choice I'd rather wait than let it be built without touch screen.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2021, 07:35 PM   #97
Cabrio Luv
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burrcold View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabrio Luv View Post

Just my 2 cents worth...
My point was that it's going to take a used car buyer a lot more investigation into what the vehicle ACTUALLY included vs just looking up what option packages typically came with.
That's certainly true Burr. Its going to be a challenge trying to navigate the used car market in a few years time. Then upon finding out about those missing options and/or otherwise standard items on MY21/MY22 builds, potential buyers will justifiably use their leverage to bargain on offers.
Wouldn't you?

Point being, with all of these chip shortages going on, its indeed a seller's market now till when the supply chain issues rights itself.

In the future, when these 'incomplete' units comes due for sale or upon lease end, it's going to be the reverse. ie a buyers market? Hope not, but hard see why not. Agreed?
Appreciate 1
Burrcold5219.00
      11-03-2021, 08:10 PM   #98
RustyNail19
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zab View Post
My SA also just informed me today that code 6UY shows up on my G26 4GC M440iX. It is a week 44 build and was in status 150 since 10.27. No code shown for back up assist yet.

IMO they should give people an option of a credit, or a smaller/no credit with the ability to swap out for a touchscreen when it becomes available.

Also, where is the information coming from that back up assist will not be available if there is no touchscreen? I’ve seen this mentioned several times, but don’t understand how the lack of a touchscreen has anything to do with back up assist.
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2021, 12:01 AM   #99
zab
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNail19 View Post
Quote:

IMO they should give people an option of a credit, or a smaller/no credit with the ability to swap out for a touchscreen when it becomes available.

Also, where is the information coming from that back up assist will not be available if there is no touchscreen? I've seen this mentioned several times, but don't understand how the lack of a touchscreen has anything to do with back up assist.
I also just got this info (that back up assist will be removed if touch screen is removed) from this and another forums. I don't understand why and can not validate it yet.

Also an interesting fact, I only got to know the deletion since I asked my SA to check the dealer's ordering system and they found the code showed up today. As at this very moment, myBMW tracker still shows nothing about touchscreen deletion. So don't trust that tracker too much.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 06:08 AM   #100
Colliwobbles
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyNail19 View Post

Also, where is the information coming from that back up assist will not be available if there is no touchscreen? I’ve seen this mentioned several times, but don’t understand how the lack of a touchscreen has anything to do with back up assist.
This was the original post on another forum :

Jon Shafer
Joined Dec 15, 2001
15,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · 7 d ago

Over the course of the last several months, we have managed to maintain the majority of our planned production in spite of limits to certain option content. As we move further into Q4, some of these limitations have increased in scope. In an effort to maintain production levels through the end of the year, we have decided to remove the touch functionality from the Central Information Display in several vehicles starting production this week.

Impacted models:
G20 3 Series
G22/G23 4 Series Coupe and Convertible
G26 4 Series Gran Coupe (excluding i4)
G29 Z4
G05/G06/G07 (all variants)
These vehicles will have the Option Code 6UY “Deletion of Touchscreen” on the Monroney and an option credit of $500 will be applied to all vehicles produced without touch functionality.

This adjustment impacts all planned production for vehicles listed above, and as a result, we are unable to prioritize variants or P1 customer sold orders. We understand this change will require dialogue with customers awaiting delivery and additional action at the Client Advisor level.

Dealers will also be required to have customers sign a form confirming acknowledgement of the change.

With the inclusion of Option Code 6UY:
Touch functionality will not be present in the aforementioned vehicles
Other functionalities of the infotainment system (including Apple CarPlay and Android Auto) remain unaffected and can be used via the iDrive Controller and/or voice control
Additionally, vehicles with Parking Assistant Package (5DN/ZPK) will lose Backup Assistant when coupled with 6UY
These vehicles will have Option Code ZUY included in the build and Monroney labels to indicate “Deletion of Backup Assistant”
Vehicles with Option Code 6UY are expected to begin shipping this week from Plant Spartanburg, with overseas production to follow next week. All vehicles produced with this option will require a software update prior to retail and customer delivery as they will be shipped and wholesaled with a Retail Stop Sale. The software update will be available as of November 11.

With the software update forthcoming, we felt it was best to deliver the vehicles as they are built to expedite the resolution process. We acknowledge this is a different approach and thank you for your flexibility, continued cooperation and commitment to BMW.

Thank you.

~Jon S.

I also don’t see the connection with backup assist compared with a lot of other things you use the touchscreen for
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 09:11 AM   #101
drseuss19
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 x3, 2021 M340i, 2022 M440

Quote:
I also just got this info (that back up assist will be removed if touch screen is removed) from this and another forums. I don't understand why and can not validate it yet.

Also an interesting fact, I only got to know the deletion since I asked my SA to check the dealer's ordering system and they found the code showed up today. As at this very moment, myBMW tracker still shows nothing about touchscreen deletion. So don't trust that tracker too much.
My SA told me from his mouth to my ear that assist was removed along with touchscreen.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 11:08 AM   #102
kmershly
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW, Lexus, Nissan and a GMC

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
A friend of mine had his touchscreen removed from his order and told the CA that he was working with that he was no longer interested in the vehicle unless in the future it would retrofitted.

He said, in fact I am willing to forgo the $500 credit if in the future I could have the touchscreen installed free of charge.

After a bit of back forth the dealer agreed to retrofit the vehicle as long as he skipped the credit and understood it could be a while, which he was happy with.

Now, I have no clue if that is a one-time thing that the dealer is making or if it is a sanctioned option by BMW, but my friend was able to negotiate it.

I know the dealer I am working with would just tell me to pound dirt, but his dealer seems more customer friendly.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 11:25 AM   #103
rickpaul
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: KIA Stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmershly View Post
A friend of mine had his touchscreen removed from his order and told the CA that he was working with that he was no longer interested in the vehicle unless in the future it would retrofitted.

He said, in fact I am willing to forgo the $500 credit if in the future I could have the touchscreen installed free of charge.

After a bit of back forth the dealer agreed to retrofit the vehicle as long as he skipped the credit and understood it could be a while, which he was happy with.

Now, I have no clue if that is a one-time thing that the dealer is making or if it is a sanctioned option by BMW, but my friend was able to negotiate it.

I know the dealer I am working with would just tell me to pound dirt, but his dealer seems more customer friendly.
Do they even know if it’s possible? Or is it more of a promise if it ends up being a thing
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 12:46 PM   #104
kmershly
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW, Lexus, Nissan and a GMC

Garage List
2022 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickpaul View Post
Do they even know if it’s possible? Or is it more of a promise if it ends up being a thing
I do not know, my friend was not clear about that, but the way the dealer made it sound, they would swap out the screen for a touchscreen when they could get their hands on one.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 01:37 PM   #105
Cabrio Luv
Private
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I do not know, my friend was not clear about that, but the way the dealer made it sound, they would swap out the screen for a touchscreen when they could get their hands on one.
Seriously? And you believe this 'stealer'? Make sure then that you get it all in writing with a 'statute of limitation' of some sort like, to get this retrofitted in say 12 to 18 months' time or you get your $500 credit back. I can see them dragging their feet once you've taken delivery of and gotten used to not having touch screen.

What about passenger side lumbar and width adjustments? Its even easier. Forgo your $200 or so credit and get them to commit to installing inflatable bladders inside that seat with electronics.

The list goes on...if one dealer does that for your touchscreen then it becomes a slippery slope for all concerned. Do you think BMWNA / BMWAG will warranty or sanction all of those dealer work/promises?

C'mon!
Appreciate 1
      11-04-2021, 01:41 PM   #106
DerekS
Major
Rep

Touchscreen deletion ?

Quote:
Our Dealer already confirmed that the touchscreen has not been deleted
Springerdrive: my dealer was able to do likewise for me today - no deletion of Touchscreen nor Parking Assist However, my car has Option ZTL - Power Trunk Removal ! Foot release will be present, but no power up or down for trunk lid. No big deal for me.

Looks like your car and my car were amongst the last ones in Week 43 Production that retained both the Touchscreen and Parking Assist.

I understand from my dealer that the deletion of options will now be expanded for most models, to include Surround Cameras
      11-04-2021, 01:55 PM   #107
Biggie335
BMW Power
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Sorry - that sounds like SA B.S to me. BMW arent offering that in writing and are probably seeing many customers actually cancel their orders. If they had a plan/option to retrofit later - they would have communicated that clearly and not taken the risk of seeing order cancellations.

Good luck to your friend either way - may be safer just to cancel the order and look for something in stock tbh.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 01:58 PM   #108
calbears
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Looks like your car and my car were amongst the last ones in Week 43 Production that retained both the Touchscreen and Parking Assist.

I understand from my dealer that the deletion of options will now be expanded for most models, to include Surround Cameras
The parking assist is unaffected. The reversing (backup) assistant is the only thing currently affected
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2021, 02:07 PM   #109
DerekS
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbears View Post
The parking assist is unaffected. The reversing (backup) assistant is the only thing currently affected
My car has Option 5DN - described as Parking Assistant Plus, which I assume includes the Backup Assistant.

It also has Option 5AP - Decoding for High Beam Assist !!
This sounds like removal of High Beam Assist
      11-04-2021, 02:14 PM   #110
calbears
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2011 M3  [10.00]
2017 M2  [10.00]
2018 M3 CS  [10.00]
Quote:
My car has Option 5DN - described as Parking Assistant Plus, which I assume includes the Backup Assistant.

It also has Option 5AP - Decoding for High Beam Assist !!
This sounds like removal of High Beam Assist
Ah, I see you're in Canada which explains some differences.
Appreciate 0