Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Cruise control with Stop and Go also gone!

11-08-2021, 10:34 AM   #1
MilesHi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G22 M440i (hopefully soon)

Cruise control with Stop and Go also gone!

Just got a call from my dealer and my 430i that should have been going into production last week has been paused until Active Cruise Control with Stop and Go has been deleted from the build.
He told me that itīs been restricted from all new builds of G22 and G26.
To say the truth I donīt exactly know the difference between this cruise control and the "standard" one in real life driving, maybe somebody could explain this to me?
Strange that he said that we wonīt have trouble with the HUD and touchscreen though?????
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 10:57 AM   #2
Airplane
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW 4 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesHi View Post
Just got a call from my dealer and my 430i that should have been going into production last week has been paused until Active Cruise Control with Stop and Go has been deleted from the build.
He told me that it´s been restricted from all new builds of G22 and G26.
To say the truth I don´t exactly know the difference between this cruise control and the "standard" one in real life driving, maybe somebody could explain this to me?
Strange that he said that we won´t have trouble with the HUD and touchscreen though?????
Active cruise control makes use of the front radar, the car brakes automatically when approaching a slower moving vehicle in front. The "standard" cruise control does not brake so the driver needs to brake. The radar can be easily seen is slightly off of the centre of the grill for G22/G26, on the G20/21 models is in the middle.
I personally like the ACC very much. It works also very well (it is reliable). I tried it also in the rain conditions, although I am not sure if that is recommended by BMW. Good tech.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 11:04 AM   #3
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

ACC is very good , have it in my g30

Assume you have the option to cancel as it's not what you ordered ? ( should you want to do that)

These chip and supply issues are really impacting new cars at the moment, but if a lottery as to what it turns up with!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 12:41 PM   #4
hulu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X5 x40i

So touchscreen is BACK??

Quote:
To say the truth I donīt exactly know the difference between this cruise control and the "standard" one in real life driving, maybe somebody could explain this to me?
Strange that he said that we wonīt have trouble with the HUD and touchscreen though?????
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2021, 01:00 PM   #5
Biggie335
BMW Power
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i XDrive

At this rate - anyone currently in production or about to get into production - will be lucky to have more features than a 2020 Honda Civic.
Appreciate 1
leotorr25.50
      11-08-2021, 01:02 PM   #6
MilesHi
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
ACC is very good , have it in my g30

Assume you have the option to cancel as it's not what you ordered ? ( should you want to do that)

These chip and supply issues are really impacting new cars at the moment, but if a lottery as to what it turns up with!
I am thinking of cancelling and ordering a m440i wihch seems to have less restrictions, like Driving assitant prof. which includes adaptive CC.
The downside of this (as well as the extra cost, especially now that the prices have gone up in Spain) is that the order will take longer and might lose even more extra options

Thanks for the explanations, it does seem like an important option to have
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 03:59 PM   #7
bap340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340I

Quote:
I am thinking of cancelling and ordering a m440i wihch seems to have less restrictions, like Driving assitant prof. which includes adaptive CC.
The downside of this (as well as the extra cost, especially now that the prices have gone up in Spain) is that the order will take longer and might lose even more extra options

Thanks for the explanations, it does seem like an important option to have
Active Cruise Control is the one option I wish I had gotten and didn't.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 03:17 AM   #8
user1811
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

Quote:
Were you given the option to wait until it's available again?
Or would you have to cancel and put another order later?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 09:58 AM   #9
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

ACC (adaptive cruise control) and the HUD are two essentials for me. I would not acquire a new car without both.

Tough times to be getting a new car. If you can wait it out, I would advise you to do that; if you can't, you must do what you can.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2021, 10:31 AM   #10
MilesHi
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by user1811 View Post
Were you given the option to wait until it's available again?
Or would you have to cancel and put another order later?
They didnīt give me an option to wait, itīs also been taken off the public configurator, same as the HUD.
I was thinking of cancelling the order and getting a m440i, which seems to still get driving assistant prof. with the ACC, but taxes go up 5% for that car in Spain from January next year

I can wait, but this chip shortage doesnīt seem to be ending any time soon , and prices have already gone up since I made my order (18-Aug)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 04:20 PM   #11
35etrgsd
Rep
Drives: 21 330e

Quote:
MilesHi
ACC is autonomous level 1.
https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shoppin...20the%20driver.

Level 2 systems currently on the market include the Tesla Autopilot, Cadillac Super Cruise, Mercedes-Benz Drive Pilot, and Volvo Pilot Assist. I suspect BMW will come up with their level 2 soon and ACC will be standard.

https://innovationatwork.ieee.org/ne...-road-in-2020/

go test drive a car with level 1 and see if you like it. Also, do you frequently go on road trips that you use cruise control on right now? Do you always appear to be in stop and go traffic? I think that's probably where its worth will shine.

Last edited by 35etrgsd; 11-12-2021 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2021, 09:34 AM   #12
mikethetike
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i Tourer

Modification to Standard Cruise Control

Does anyone know if it is possible to retro-fit ACC to a model that only has standard CC ?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2021, 06:01 AM   #13
MilesHi
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35etrgsd View Post
MilesHi
ACC is autonomous level 1.
https://www.jdpower.com/cars/shoppin...20the%20driver.

Level 2 systems currently on the market include the Tesla Autopilot, Cadillac Super Cruise, Mercedes-Benz Drive Pilot, and Volvo Pilot Assist. I suspect BMW will come up with their level 2 soon and ACC will be standard.

https://innovationatwork.ieee.org/ne...-road-in-2020/

go test drive a car with level 1 and see if you like it. Also, do you frequently go on road trips that you use cruise control on right now? Do you always appear to be in stop and go traffic? I think that's probably where its worth will shine.
Iīll be using the car for weekends, and short and longer holidays.
For the last 7 years I havenīt had a car, only used my work van for weekends away, and for longer holidays Iīve rented, so never used an ACC, or even a "normal" cruise control, but I was looking forward to it.
Iīll have to put up with it for now, and wait and see if I lose anything else from my build before deciding whether to cancel the order or not.

I do regret not going for the m440i, as it still has HUD and driving assistant prof. and seems to be losing less extras.
To change now would cost approx. 6k more than when I made my order, 18k more than my 430i

Thanks for the help!!
Appreciate 1
      11-14-2021, 08:16 AM   #14
35etrgsd
Rep
Drives: 21 330e

MilesHi I wouldn't even use the word regret because you aren't missing out anything based on what you said. Enjoy your future car. See my answer below too.

mikethetike Just for giggles, I looked into retrofitting ACC into my car. My dealer said yes/maybe but it probably cost up to $5K and not worth it (labor, etc.). My opinion is, if your car's operating system has the ACC software piece in it that can be enabled via something like bimmercode, all you'll need is the compatible hardware which can be acquired cheap at junk yards. I'd probably stick with the hardware compatible with your car's hardware and software to avoid any issues down the road.