Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) Installing m performance side skirts

11-09-2021, 01:38 PM   #1
P_Leotardo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i Xdrive

Installing m performance side skirts

What should I use in place of liquid adhesive? Should I just use double sided 3M tape, drill the holes and use the rivets, and call it a day ?

Last edited by P_Leotardo; 11-09-2021 at 04:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 03:45 PM   #2
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xdrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I used the liquid adhesive when I installed mine. Just gives that extra holding strength. There have been a few occasions where one of the kids ends up stepping on it when getting in and out of the car. My youngest tends to be the one that does it. Those little feet lol
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 04:16 PM   #3
P_Leotardo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBimmer View Post
I used the liquid adhesive when I installed mine. Just gives that extra holding strength. There have been a few occasions where one of the kids ends up stepping on it when getting in and out of the car. My youngest tends to be the one that does it. Those little feet lol
I ordered directly from BMW and it only came with rivets. Where can I ge the adhesive?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 04:49 PM   #4
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Leotardo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBimmer View Post
I ordered directly from BMW and it only came with rivets. Where can I ge the adhesive?
Hey! The dealership provided me with the liquid adhesive. I would check with your local parts department and ask about it. Recently threw away the extra left over adhesive as it had completely hardened.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 05:26 PM   #5
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:

What should I use in place of liquid adhesive? Should I just use double sided 3M tape, drill the holes and use the rivets, and call it a day ?
Yes that's what I did - year plus later zero issues no need for the adhesive
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2021, 07:37 PM   #6
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Quote:
[img]https://i.ibb.co/gmyRVTF/038-BE844-0...-C31631-D8.png[/img]

Yes that's what I did - year plus later zero issues no need for the adhesive
Well I figure if it's in the instruction I'm going to go that route.

Plus living up in the great white North where I see all four seasons, (+30c down to -45c) I feel the addition of the liquid adhesive provides a bit better adhesion in those areas than simple 3m tape and rivets. Especially with that type of temperature fluctuation.

To each their own tho. Enjoy the side skirts!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2021, 07:11 PM   #7
P_Leotardo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I installed the side skirts this evening and feel like the fitment isn’t great. I used 3M double sided tape and self tapping screws instead of the rivets, but there is some space (like a small gap) on the top portion where it should me the side sill.

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2021, 08:58 AM   #8
P_Leotardo
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Bump, any opinions welcome
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2023, 04:05 AM   #9
Tango22
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i Touring

Quote:
I installed the side skirts this evening and feel like the fitment isn’t great. I used 3M double sided tape and self tapping screws instead of the rivets, but there is some space (like a small gap) on the top portion where it should me the side sill.

Any suggestions?
Hi, I know this is an old thread but did you ever solve the issue you had with the gap at the top of the side skirt?

I've just fitted skirts to my G21 M340i and on one side there is a noticeable gap at the top where it meets the original side skirt. It seems to be fine and sit okay when installing, prior to you securing it via the screws underneath and then the screws as they screw in appear to sort of push the top of the skirt away from the car slightly.

I've removed them both and refitted them but it did the same again.

Any solution to this?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2023, 08:27 AM   #10
tylers1027
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 330I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango22 View Post
Hi, I know this is an old thread but did you ever solve the issue you had with the gap at the top of the side skirt?

I've just fitted skirts to my G21 M340i and on one side there is a noticeable gap at the top where it meets the original side skirt. It seems to be fine and sit okay when installing, prior to you securing it via the screws underneath and then the screws as they screw in appear to sort of push the top of the skirt away from the car slightly.

I've removed them both and refitted them but it did the same again.

Any solution to this?
I have the exact same issue; on my passender side the side skirt doesn't sit tight against the car (small gap). I tried double sided tape and it wouldn't stick. I just gave up and live with the small gap; once you get used to it you never notice it.
Appreciate 0