Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Do you need * marked tyres?

11-29-2021, 11:27 AM   #177
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith_C View Post
Without doubt, but was that concerning star marked tyres or running non standard tyres? As I say, I'm not aware of anyone refused warranty because the tyres were not star marked and why should they because nowhere in the owners manuals that I have had does it state that star marked tyres MUST be used, it's just recommended.

I also appreciate the technical knowledge, we never stop learning, every day is a school day and I'm not critical of that, may I just add, it's all good to know.

At the end of the day, you pays your money and takes your choice.
I think this thread had been thought provoking and I'd like to add my thanks to HighlandPete for all his research!

You're right, though, at the end of the day we all pay our money and take our choice and, as a (reluctant!) X-drive owner, the issue for me has always been around what damage might be done to the system by running tyres that are different in terms of rolling circumference front to rear.

Personally I've never been convinced that running the correct size tyres would cause a problem purely because they're not star marked and I'm still of that view. Moreover, the fact BMW are now sending out X-drive cars from the factory that have different rolling circumferences front to rear suggests the latest versions of the system are less sensitive to a rolling circumference difference than earlier ones.

So come replacement time I'll look for a tyre that best suits my requirements (probably something like CrossClimate 2's) and go for those in a size that either matches the originals exactly or, if they don't, which have the same rolling circumference front to rear. It will be a premium brand but I honestly won't be bothered whether they're star marked or not....
Appreciate 2
bmnut785.50
      11-29-2021, 01:28 PM   #178
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Personally I've never been convinced that running the correct size tyres would cause a problem purely because they're not star marked and I'm still of that view. Moreover, the fact BMW are now sending out X-drive cars from the factory that have different rolling circumferences front to rear suggests the latest versions of the system are less sensitive to a rolling circumference difference than earlier ones.
Following my awareness, from the time xDrive was first introduced in the X3/5 models, I have a cautious view on the whole subject. As I've already commented, I've been in discussion with users, dealers, tyre shops, forums, where non approved tyres were responsible for transmission issues.

But I must say, when I first saw the wheel/tyre sizes for the new G80/82 M-cars, it grabbed my attention. I did start a bit of research in how this might be possible.

Then this topic came along and more research. BMW are still being very careful what they put in print. More facts and clarity would help users make good judgements and informed decisions.
Appreciate 1
Keith_C179.00